Helpful ReplyFrench Fries and Fast Food?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Freeze 1st
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 371
2010/06/13 01:50:37 (permalink)

French Fries and Fast Food?

I am a single person, but I don't eat all that fast food garbage that drive through convenience places offer.

I just wanted to mention that I do however have a weakness for fast food that I have found lately.

I really like Ore-Ida's French fries in the microwave. Heck,they taste the same as Mcdonalds to me. JMO.

What's the best : "FAST FOOD" recipe's that you can offer?

Thoughts?

Bobby

BTW: I have banned myself from this forum, although I will come back to read to be polite.
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/13 04:21:12 (permalink)
French fries in the microwave? C'mon Bobby, food doesn't have to be that fast!

This old standby took me 20 minutes last evening, plus half-hour in the oven.

Cottage Pie (serves 4)

Peel and dice 8 medium potatoes, place in saucepan
Add water to cover and bring to boil, 10 minutes or until soft.
Mash with butter and a little milk

Brown 400g of minced beef in a frying pan with a little oil, salt & pepper & Worcestershire sauce to season
As the beef browns, add peas, sweetcorn, shredded carrot or other veg of choice
For this version I also added a small pack of tomato & smoked bacon pasta sauce

Spoon the beef/veg/sauce mix into a shallow oven dish
Add mashed potato and fork over to cover the beef, grated cheese too if you like.

Place in hot oven for 25-30 minutes or until potato starts to brown

Serve with crusty rolls

Mmm..dat waz gud!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
SeveredVesper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/13 08:32:55 (permalink)
Aww, do you mean the whole CW forums or just the CH section?

Check out my band's song on YouTube!

Videolink
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/13 10:04:40 (permalink)
jamesg1213

French fries in the microwave? C'mon Bobby, food doesn't have to be that fast!

This old standby took me 20 minutes last evening, plus half-hour in the oven.

Cottage Pie (serves 4)

Peel and dice 8 medium potatoes, place in saucepan
Add water to cover and bring to boil, 10 minutes or until soft.
Mash with butter and a little milk

Brown 400g of minced beef in a frying pan with a little oil, salt & pepper & Worcestershire sauce to season
As the beef browns, add peas, sweetcorn, shredded carrot or other veg of choice
For this version I also added a small pack of tomato & smoked bacon pasta sauce

Spoon the beef/veg/sauce mix into a shallow oven dish
Add mashed potato and fork over to cover the beef, grated cheese too if you like.

Place in hot oven for 25-30 minutes or until potato starts to brown

Serve with crusty rolls

Mmm..dat waz gud!

A mouth watering experience James

http://www.soundzshop.com/ 
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/13 20:04:02 (permalink)
Hi,

Nahh ... I allow myself a treat or two. Once a month have to get an order of fries from McDonald's and have them hold the salt!

Once you take the salt out of them, they are way more edible!

Making french fries at home is ... not recommended and you are talking to someone that was in restaurants for 23 years! The hot oil and stuff is not safe all around, and I prefer not to deal with it. So I stick to some homemade hash browns -- bake the potatoes some in the microwave then cut them up, which also works for french fried stuff as you can do it without a pool of oil.

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/13 20:07:19 (permalink)
order of fries from McDonald's and have them hold the salt!

Blasphemer!

No Salt?

C'mon Pedro it's only once a month.

philz
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2462
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/14 00:46:31 (permalink)
I have a theory about this stuff.  Let's say you lower your choleterol to really low levels, and open those old arteries right up.  Makes it easier for the heart to pump blood right?  So, your heart becomes weak because it doesn't have to work very hard to pump blood, you go out for your morning jog, and die.  On the other hand, I'm an advocate of eating whatever you fancy, so I can keep my choleterol levels at nice restrictive heights.  My heart has to work a little harder to pump blood, but, hey, I think of it as... okay my heart is like going to the gym to work out.  It's strong.  I mean, that sucker is strong.  Sometimes I can hear it pounding (midi synch, natch)... or maybe that was the kick drum???  Anyway, I go out for my morning jog, and wind up stopping at McDonald's after running a few yards. 
Ditto for salt.  Go ahead, pass it up, lower your blood pressure.  Then, when your BP drops to really healthy levels, how's the blood going to have enough pressure to make it all the way up to your brain to help you create that next great tune?  Remember guys, there's 2 sides to every story.
Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/14 06:05:34 (permalink)
Thats right Phil, and also there is the Homer Simpson theory about drinking too. Which he likens to the slower Wildebeest being killed, thus strengthening the herd. In other words, alcohol will kill off the weak brain cells, thus making you smarter. I'll drink to that !

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/14 08:03:47 (permalink)
My heart has to work a little harder to pump blood, but, hey, I think of it as... okay my heart is like going to the gym to work out.  It's strong.  I mean, that sucker is strong.  Sometimes I can hear it pounding (midi synch, natch)... or maybe that was the kick drum??? 

i know this is the Coffee House - but if you're going to give out advice, at least make it GOOD advice.

The other side to your story is that you probably suffer from extremely high blood pressure (Hyper Tension) and are probably well on your way to your first heart attack.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
philz
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/14 18:05:34 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey

My heart has to work a little harder to pump blood, but, hey, I think of it as... okay my heart is like going to the gym to work out.  It's strong.  I mean, that sucker is strong.  Sometimes I can hear it pounding (midi synch, natch)... or maybe that was the kick drum??? 

i know this is the Coffee House - but if you're going to give out advice, at least make it GOOD advice.

The other side to your story is that you probably suffer from extremely high blood pressure (Hyper Tension) and are probably well on your way to your first heart attack.
Geez, Jonesey, what happened to the famous British love for wit, irony and glib humor?   I dare say that you may be flying solo if you took that post seriously.  FWIW- The greatest determinants for risk of heart attack are genetic factors and obesity, and I am fortunate enough to not have either of those markers.  If those aren't enough to save me, and I become the first person in my family ever to suffer a heart attack, at least I'll die or be infirmed happy.

In reality, while not without my share of 'bad' habits and vices, I do eat a fairly healthy and nutritious diet, and haven't had anything from MacDonald's in several years.  I simply refuse to become a slave to the latest perceived psuedo-scientific evidence as espoused on Oprah, 'health' magazines and other dubious venues, as such things have been shown to change more frequently than not.  Medicine, it would seem, is a fickle and imprecise science.

Sorry if you mistook my post for advice, and I will give due consideration to being less sardonic in future posts.
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/14 21:19:01 (permalink)
<sigh> We have a McDonald's inside my Wal*Mart.
I love their fries, and just about everything else, but ever since they started making their food healthier, it gives me copious amounts of gas.
Or is that an age thing?

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
bapu
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/14 21:21:00 (permalink)
Greg,

Are drinking copious amounts of gasoline or has you intake of propane dramatically increased as of late?

If so, stop it and see what happens.

Report back to us, will you?

tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/15 11:14:22 (permalink)
Slice up a potato into your favorite shapes and put them on the George Foreman grill covered with a couple strips of bacon. Let it go until the potatoes are crispy brown from being fried in the bacon fat. Mmmmmm. And you can even add some herbs, onions, peppers, whatever to your potatoes. Whatever you like. It'll be even better than ore-ida frozen.

The George Foreman grill is a fantastic device. Forget about the "fat busting" crap--which is a dubious claim at best. It's just a really handy, convenient gadget for cooking stuff.

57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/15 22:45:41 (permalink)
bapu

Greg,

Are drinking copious amounts of gasoline or has you intake of propane dramatically increased as of late?

If so, stop it and see what happens.

Report back to us, will you?

I have not increased my intake of gasoline or propane, as hard as that is (we have both of them in my garden center).
I think it's the fake grease they're using these days.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/15 22:57:49 (permalink)
tarsier

Slice up a potato into your favorite shapes and put them on the George Foreman grill covered with a couple strips of bacon. Let it go until the potatoes are crispy brown from being fried in the bacon fat. Mmmmmm. And you can even add some herbs, onions, peppers, whatever to your potatoes. Whatever you like. It'll be even better than ore-ida frozen.

The George Foreman grill is a fantastic device. Forget about the "fat busting" crap--which is a dubious claim at best. It's just a really handy, convenient gadget for cooking stuff.

Dude, you are a cholesterol dealer.

On a side note, I think Wendy's fries and ketchup are the best out there.
post edited by Middleman - 2010/06/15 23:37:38

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
Russell.Whaley
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2755
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/15 23:05:33 (permalink)
There's a chain called Culver's in our region that, in the burgers & fries department, beats 'em all hands-down.  Not terribly healthy, but a delightful way to fall off the wagon...

derFunkenstein
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 735
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/16 08:14:56 (permalink)
Yeah, there ain't nothin' better than a bacon deluxe butterburger and crinkle-cut fries from Culver's.

King Ben of Nopantsville
Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/16 08:39:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Just Another Bloke 2019/01/13 20:08:58
I've heard of a place called Five Guys Burgers and Fries. I had one of their really fine burgers at an airport. I believe their fries are rated as one of the best in the US.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/16 09:52:05 (permalink)
Ah!  Fast food:  After ruining my taste buds, I still succomb to:

Hardy's: sausage egg biscuit

McDonald's coffee,

Subway tri-cut (or some-such).

Dairy Queen: for a mean grilled chicken

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
bapu
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/16 09:54:57 (permalink)
Tap

I've heard of a place called Five Guys Burgers and Fries. I had one of their really fine burgers at an airport. I believe their fries are rated as one of the best in the US.

We're getting one of those around the corner from us soon.

The Lovely Lady and I know our fries. We'll report back our findings.
tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/16 10:41:42 (permalink)
Dude, you are a cholesterol dealer.

I didn't say to eat it every day!

And we've got a couple of Five Guys burger places here. They're good, but the default burger is two 1/4 pound patties.  Too much for me, I go for the "Little Cheeseburger" which is only one quarter pound patty.  (that's LITTLE?!?) And their standard order of fries is huge too. It lasts me three meals. They will reheat pretty well in the oven, as long as you sprinkle some bacon fat on them.

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/16 11:11:32 (permalink)
philz

Bristol_Jonesey

Geez, Jonesey, what happened to the famous British love for wit, irony and glib humor?   I dare say that you may be flying solo if you took that post seriously.  FWIW- The greatest determinants for risk of heart attack are genetic factors and obesity, and I am fortunate enough to not have either of those markers.  If those aren't enough to save me, and I become the first person in my family ever to suffer a heart attack, at least I'll die or be infirmed happy.

In reality, while not without my share of 'bad' habits and vices, I do eat a fairly healthy and nutritious diet, and haven't had anything from MacDonald's in several years.  I simply refuse to become a slave to the latest perceived psuedo-scientific evidence as espoused on Oprah, 'health' magazines and other dubious venues, as such things have been shown to change more frequently than not.  Medicine, it would seem, is a fickle and imprecise science.

Sorry if you mistook my post for advice, and I will give due consideration to being less sardonic in future posts.

Sorry Phil, I was having a bit of a bad day. (bad week actually)

Keep up the humour - I could use it!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
philz
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/16 12:01:02 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey

philz

Bristol_Jonesey

Sorry Phil, I was having a bit of a bad day. (bad week actually)

Keep up the humour - I could use it!
No worries on this end, Jonesey, we've all had 'em!
Hope the next few are better!
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/16 12:08:19 (permalink)
http://www.channel4.com/f...urself-thin/index.html

she was cute.. till I saw she had some big **** angel wings tatoo on her back

but she does give less lardy alternatives..

a lot of things you buy to cook are in family packs .. which is a PITA.. so say mince etc. you can free half or you can cook a batch of things , and freeze them, re-heat far later.

but even things like markets you can get fruit / veg in single numbers

post edited by Fog - 2010/06/16 12:10:31
spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/16 13:32:26 (permalink)
What's the best : "FAST FOOD" recipe's that you can offer?
Thoughts?
Bobby

Bobby, I'm married and I don't cook, don't like to cook, won't cook and wouldn't
cook if I were single. I would hire a cook.

But I will make a sandwich. I made one not a week ago. It was peanut butter
and a very good grape jelly. I had a few wavy chips with it and it was very good.
I spread the peanut butter evenly and covered the slice of whole wheat grain
bread completely. I spread the jelly exactly the same way. No butter or jelly
ever "leaked" out of the sandwich and every bite was an even mix.
It didn't take but a couple of minutes to make it so that was very fast food.

I also make a good roast beef sandwich. I slice the roast beef evenly and I like
to spread mustard thin on both slices of bread. I remember once I put a slice
of cheese on too. The trick to that sandwich is trimming the beef. Nice clean slices
with no fat or grissle. Sometimes crisp lettuce, sometimes no.

A bumblebee white tune sandwich is very good too. I like to include sweet relish,
diced onion, small dices of apple and Miracle whip, not mayo, and not much of the whip.
Just enough to know it's there. Spread evenly and cover the bread completely, cover
with crisp lettuce and enjoy.

Well that just about cover's everything I know about my fast food recipe's...or
fixing food in general.

Oh yeah...I can also make a fried ham sandwich that is killer...but I hate
frying the ham so it's a rare one. That reminds me...I make a great turkey
sandwich but that's only after my wife cooks one of those butterball ones.
That one will make you take a nap.

Well I don't know if any of this helps Bobby but it's really all I can offer.
And the secret to these sandwiches is just don't make them very often. I
know I don't.

bapu
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/16 13:34:38 (permalink)
MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sammiches!
bapu
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/16 13:37:16 (permalink)
My sammiches lately are P-Nut-Butter-N-(low carb)Tortillas. 1/2 butter, 1/2 P-Butter, folded.

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/16 13:41:24 (permalink)
One treat I make for myself (since others have more sense) is Shaved Whale Surprise.

Spread cream cheese on toasted raisin bread (I prefer organic)
Slather on a significant amount of peanut butter (I prefer creamy)
Spread on your favorite jelly (I go with either Apple or Grape)
Sprinkle on a few additional rasins (or a lot)
Layer 2 - 3 slices of crisp, hot bacon (yes, bacon)
Top with a slice of cheese (cheddar is good, but I like American)
Serve open faced.

My kids ask me, "Shaved Whale Surprise?"
I answer, "I would think that would surprise the whales".
Freeze 1st
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 371
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/17 00:36:03 (permalink)
Thanks for the Advice everyone. Lol, I need a SINGLE WOMAN WHO CAN COOK!!!!!!!!!! AND I NEED HER NOW!!!!!!!!

I'm only kidding.

I guess my diet is a bit strange for a 42 year old, I happen to like Beans, and Turnip Greens are one of my favorites. I love Vegetable soup,

Although I can't figure it out, I have gotten to where I hate baked potatoes, but I like those quick microwave french fries. Maybe they have MSG's in them or something, not sure.

I also like Salad foods. For the most part I eat healthy according to most news reports. Although I do have my occasional B-B-beef or steak. Lol, Sorry, that "B-B-Beef" comment was something I remembered from the movie Back to the Future 2, where Michael J. Fox goes into the Cafe 80's and the computer screen say's : We have B-B-Beef".

Either way, I am shocked this subject has brought about such interest.

LOL, hey here's an old Joke : "Do you know why they call it fast food"????????????

Answer : "Because it speeds you on your way to the grave!!!!!".......

Bobby

spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
Re:French Fries and Fast Food? 2010/06/17 16:02:13 (permalink)
I'm a chef and one of the quickies I like to make, that's delicious is

TACOS!!

Mmmmmmm.  Tacos (Homer Simpson voice)

I always use 93% lean ground beef (or the leanest I can), and use just plan 'ol corn tortillas that I throw in the microwave to steam.  A fresh avocado a couple fresh jalapenos, some fresh diced tomato and spring mix and I'm good to go.  Sometimes, to make more of a meal, I'll make some mexican rice and black beans to go with.

Light, healthy and the kids love 'em.
post edited by spindlebox - 2010/06/17 16:04:03

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1