Helpful ReplyFresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use?

Author
dcmg
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
2017/12/04 05:05:43 (permalink)

Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use?

My SONAR "end of life" contingency plan involves doing a fresh W10 install on a new C Drive.
However, I'd like to maintain my *current* C drive so I can continue to work on projects.
( Swap new drive, do my installs, swap back to current drive when it's time to work. Switch to new drive when all is configured and good...then clone the new drive and stick it on a shelf if ever needed)

I've never done this dance with a Win10 OS. Previous Win installs had a 30 day grace period before having to register the OS with the mothership. This always gave me time to do installs but still work on current drive until the new one was working well.

Anyone who's done this, please advise on any gotcha's to this plan.
( I won't do many 3rd party plug in auths until the drive is pretty much ready to go, so I think I will sidestep those issues.)

CWBL/SPlat/Studio One Pro on Win10-64 Bit
Asrock H370 Pro4 w/Intel i7-8700
16GB Adata DDR4 2666 RAM
All SSD's/ On-Board Intel Graphics
Apollo 8 Quad FW/TB, AD2, Trillian, Omni, S-Gear, Waves, Soundtoys, TRacks, 
MicPres: Langevin DVC, Great River, UAD LA610Mk2. 
Dynaudio Monitors, and other stuff.
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use? 2017/12/04 10:52:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dcmg 2017/12/04 14:07:27
If you're going to be working with a dual-boot setup (even with one boot drive at a time):
Make sure you have "Turn On Fast Startup" disabled.

Otherwise, you'll be fine

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use? 2017/12/04 11:37:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dcmg 2017/12/04 14:07:25
I have a dual boot Win 10 on a laptop that I bought recently.  It has the Dell OEM Win 10 on the original M.2 SSD and I installed another Win 10 on a separate SSD.  When I want to use the Dell version I can boot to that and when I want to use Sonar (and now also Studio One 3) I boot to the separate SSD installation.   As I only use the laptop for on-site recordings the Dell installation is set as the default OS on boot up.  

I don't think fast boot makes any difference.  On my desktop, I have dual boot with Win 10 and the Insider preview version Win 10.  When the preview version updates it always sets fast boot on and sets the preview as the default dual boot OS, but I still get the dual boot option window.  I've been turning fast boot off but thinking about it as I write this it doesn't make any difference, at least on my system. 

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
dcmg
Re: Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use? 2017/12/04 18:36:44 (permalink)
Thank you both for the replies.
For others doing similar, there is indeed an option to skip the MS login and activation process and continue the install process as with previous OS installs.

Once I have a nice clean W10 install with a fully current SONAR install, I will clone that for any future projects that come back to haunt me with SONAR files that need to be accessed.

Once fully populated ( SONAR, plugs, configuration, as well as Presonus SOP) will then use that as my new system drive *and* clone that version so I have a backup image of my new current working drive. 

That should cover me for current system as I transition to Presonus, while allowing access to SONAR as needed.

16GB Adata DDR4 2666 RAM
fireberd
Re: Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use? 2017/12/04 19:29:54 (permalink)
I too will be transitioning to Studio One 3 Pro.  I have both Sonar and Studio One backed up on flash drives.  As Sonar does everything I need now it will be a "leisurely" (no hurry) move to Studio One.  I purchased the Groove 3 Studio One 3 Explained course and will start going through them.  

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
dcmg
Re: Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use? 2017/12/04 19:48:41 (permalink)
Exactly my plan as well. By the time I make the full switch to SOP I will be fast and fluent. No real hurry if I plan the transition properly. Part of my "learning curve" will be transferring very recent client projects to SOP and that will solidify my process for dealing with past projects that might resurface. 
There's a lot I like about SOP so it doesn't feel like the daunting prospect it did even a week ago.

If I run into any snags in this master plan I will update here :)

16GB Adata DDR4 2666 RAM
Jim Roseberry
Re: Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use? 2017/12/06 13:18:46 (permalink)
fireberd
I don't think fast boot makes any difference.  

Leaving the "Enable Fast Startup" option enabled can/does cause major data corruption (even if the dual-boot is across two totally separate/isolated drives).
We've experienced this first-hand.
With a modern SSD as boot drive, the machine will start fast without using a Hybernate file.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
dcmg
Re: Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use? 2017/12/06 15:34:42 (permalink)
duly noted ( bad pun somewhat intended)..thanks Jim.

16GB Adata DDR4 2666 RAM
fireberd
Re: Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use? 2017/12/06 17:03:39 (permalink)
I don't use it, I always disable it,  but mentioned as it seems to still work OK.  As it is only the Insider Preview version and not the Production system, even if I left it enabled it wouldn't have any affect on the Production system or DAW operation.

"GCSG Productions"
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Jim Roseberry
Re: Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use? 2017/12/07 14:20:04 (permalink)
My previous post should read:

When dual-booting the OS, leaving the "Enable Fast Startup" option enabled can/does cause major data corruption (even if the dual-boot is across two totally separate/isolated drives).
We've experienced this first-hand.
With a modern SSD as boot drive, the machine will start fast without using a Hybernate file.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use? 2017/12/07 17:13:29 (permalink)
dcmg
My SONAR "end of life" contingency plan involves doing a fresh W10 install on a new C Drive.
However, I'd like to maintain my *current* C drive so I can continue to work on projects.
( Swap new drive, do my installs, swap back to current drive when it's time to work. Switch to new drive when all is configured and good...then clone the new drive and stick it on a shelf if ever needed)

I've never done this dance with a Win10 OS. Previous Win installs had a 30 day grace period before having to register the OS with the mothership. This always gave me time to do installs but still work on current drive until the new one was working well.

Anyone who's done this, please advise on any gotcha's to this plan.
( I won't do many 3rd party plug in auths until the drive is pretty much ready to go, so I think I will sidestep those issues.)

Windows 10 can be installed and used indefinitely without activation.  You will see a nag, and some customization options will be unavailable until activation.  Microsoft has changed their grace period for Win 10 to Lifetime". 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
dcmg
Re: Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use? 2017/12/08 21:43:28 (permalink)
abacab

Windows 10 can be installed and used indefinitely without activation.  You will see a nag, and some customization options will be unavailable until activation.  Microsoft has changed their grace period for Win 10 to Lifetime". 

That's what I've found, which is perfect. Most of those customization options are items that I don't need at this time anyhow. I've been building a good clean system drive with SONAR and Studio One side by side, should be ready to shift to that drive shortly, but still have some client files in SONAR on current drive and I'm to superstitious to shift while I'm in the middle of projects :)

This process takes the stress out of the transition from SONAR to Studio One. Should have plenty of time to get fluent in SOP but still have access to SPLAT as needed. As long as MSoft doesn't do anything bizarre to W10 while I'm transitioning, should be golden.

16GB Adata DDR4 2666 RAM
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use? 2017/12/19 05:48:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/12/19 14:49:54
I'm in the same boat, but mine is leakier. I'm still rockin win7 but I figure a change to Studio One will be a good time to change everything, because what the hell these days.

I'm buying a new SSD and will install Win10 on it. I'll pull the win7 ssd out and use it as a paperweight. I'll reload all the programs. I'm going through my old uncompleted Sonar projects and exporting stuff out of them, so I can begin new mixes with them in Studio One.

See you in 2027.

cheers,
-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
dcmg
Re: Fresh Install W10 on New SSD..But Keeping Current C Drive Available to Use? 2017/12/20 04:00:23 (permalink)
So far this process has worked nicely.

I was able to do the fresh W10 install, SONAR and Studio One, all the plugs, configured and working before really flipping the switch to this new drive ( doing client work on the prior drive).

New drive is now running lean and mean, cloned with the clone sitting on the shelf for the inevitable SONAR project that returns from the dead and needs to be transferred. 

At this point I'm anxious to make the switch to Studio One. For the occasional tweak when it doesn't do something SONAR did, there are 5 other things that it does better and more logically. I'm not sure I'm going to really miss SONAR ( after 20 years of loyalty...)

Onward and forward. Appreciate the input from many of you fellow SONAR users over the years. Think I will miss this community more than the actual software :)

16GB Adata DDR4 2666 RAM
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1