Helpful ReplyFriday's Tip of the Week #167: Behold! Dual Mono Becomes Stereo!

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 21
Author
kicksville
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 273
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/19 20:06:49 (permalink)
sigh....I have always wondered why we've never had the S-curve option on clip fades and envelope automation. All the other kids have it - why can't we?
cyberzip
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 613
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/19 21:17:26 (permalink)
Thanks for great tips!

A question about tip 144: Instant Switch to Volume Automation:

Hitting the "=" key does nothing on my non-American keyboard, and I can't seem to find the bindable shortcut for switching to volume automation... :(

What gives, are we non-English keyboard users out of luck?
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/19 21:34:39 (permalink)
I like this tip and it will get a lot of use!  Thanks for that!

Dave
Songs

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/19 21:37:31 (permalink)
kicksville
sigh....I have always wondered why we've never had the S-curve option on clip fades and envelope automation. All the other kids have it - why can't we?

Well, not all the other kids have it...as to SONAR, maybe it hasn't been submitted as a feature request. 

I use the S curve in Vegas all the time for overall fades in both video and audio tracks, but the method presented in the tip is more flexible because it's easy to "weight" the fade by moving the middle node. While I don't need to weight an overall master song fade often, it's very helpful with clip automation - like when you want something to linger with a slow fade, then leave quickly; or jump down rapidly to a level, then fade out slowly from there.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/19 21:39:51 (permalink)
cyberzip
Thanks for great tips!

A question about tip 144: Instant Switch to Volume Automation:

Hitting the "=" key does nothing on my non-American keyboard, and I can't seem to find the bindable shortcut for switching to volume automation... :(

What gives, are we non-English keyboard users out of luck?

I don't have keyboards for other languages for testing, but try hitting the key to the immediate left of the Backspace key in the upper right of the main cluster of keys, and see if that works.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
rmfegley
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 114
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/20 00:38:18 (permalink)
I'd love it if Sonar would the ability to actually adjust the shape of automation curves like FL Studio. In between every set of nodes there's a handle on the segment which you can drag to change the shape. 0% is an extremely fast curve, 50% is linear, 100% is extremely slow curve. Don't know if any other DAWs have this, but it's pretty cool. Often just slightly tweaking the shape of the curve will save having to drag nodes around to adjust the timing of the automation subtly. 

Sonar Platinum latest update
Windows 10 Home
i7-4790 CPU
ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 960
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 
Alesis VI49 Keyboard/controller
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 keyboard/controller
Native Instruments Maschine Mk3

Native Instruments Maschine Jam
Native Instruments Komplete 10
Various other commercial and free plugins
&
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/20 00:51:06 (permalink)
Very nice tip. I can't wait to try it.
Agentcalm
  • Total Posts : 257
Re: Friday's Tip of the Week #146: The Perfect Fadeout 2017/05/20 08:35:15 (permalink)
Guys anyone get Craig's new book there?   Im on an old basic X3 and I find a lot of the stuff on Cake TV for example is always geared towards the more expensive higher end versions of Sonar.   Would i need to upgrade to professional or something to benefit from the tips?    For example my sonar does not have pro channel etc.
Thanks 

Southern kin y'all 
cyberzip
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 613
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/20 08:58:53 (permalink)
Anderton
I don't have keyboards for other languages for testing, but try hitting the key to the immediate left of the Backspace key in the upper right of the main cluster of keys, and see if that works.

Hm, doesn't seem to work... :P

If you check Preferences / Keyboard Shortcuts, can you see if "=" is bound to some function on your system? For me it's not... and I can't seem to find any function similar to what you describe. It sounds very useful! :D
Jyri T.
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/20 09:32:12 (permalink)
rmfegley
I'd love it if Sonar would the ability to actually adjust the shape of automation curves like FL Studio. In between every set of nodes there's a handle on the segment which you can drag to change the shape. 0% is an extremely fast curve, 50% is linear, 100% is extremely slow curve. Don't know if any other DAWs have this, but it's pretty cool. Often just slightly tweaking the shape of the curve will save having to drag nodes around to adjust the timing of the automation subtly. 

And to have the s-shaped fade curve as an option...

Sonar Platinum, Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (x64), Intel Xeon E3-1230L v3, MSI B85M ECO Intel B85, 8 GBytes RAM, OCZ VERTEX3 MI SSD, INTEL SSD, nVidia Geforce GT720, RME Digi9632
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/20 16:08:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Soundwise 2017/05/21 19:56:34
Jyri T.
And to have the s-shaped fade curve as an option...

This tip shows how to create an S-shaped curve that is much more flexible than a "canned" S-shaped curve where you can't adjust the horizontal or vertical weighting. Also, the subject of adding an S-shaped curve to the fade options was already addressed. A post that simply repeats another's post doesn't help those coming to this thread for tips.

I would prefer that this thread remain a "Tip of the Week" thread rather than have people try to treat it as a "Feature Request of the Week" thread, for several reasons:
  • There are already places for feature requests, including places where people can vote on them.
  • The Bakers don't monitor this thread, other than a few who want to see what crazy tip I come up. It's a waste of time to post a feature request in a place where no one in a position to implement a feature request will see it.
  • Feature requests "clutter" the thread. Periodically, I delete non-tip comments to make the thread more compact so it's easier to browse. Comments that aren't related to discussing or providing a tip get deleted at that time anyway, because people don't come to this thread to read feature requests. I also delete the "nice tip" comments as well, although they are very helpful initially in terms of gauging interest in a particular tip type.

Of course, I'm always interested in feedback on what types of tips people find most useful.

kicksville
  • Total Posts : 273
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/20 19:16:50 (permalink)
Anderton
I use the S curve in Vegas all the time for overall fades in both video and audio tracks, but the method presented in the tip is more flexible because it's easy to "weight" the fade by moving the middle node. While I don't need to weight an overall master song fade often, it's very helpful with clip automation - like when you want something to linger with a slow fade, then leave quickly; or jump down rapidly to a level, then fade out slowly from there.

Absolutely - I do that all the time. You can create some complex curves that fit the needs of a given clip/song even without the S option, but there are also times where the generic -6dB log would be a handy thing. Not trying to get into the feature request side of it, just discussing things in the context of your "tip."

In my experience, when dealing with a master that already has a naturally decaying final note (say, a guitar holding the last chord), more often than not the slow curve is much more effective at retaining the original contour of the decay if that's what you're after. The S-shape (weighted to fit, of course) is better at creating a natural-ish sounding decay from a sound without an existing decay, or when you need that natural decay to fade more quickly because of noise issues (as in, a guitar with heavy distortion, where as the note itself fades, the noise floor becomes more apparent).
listen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/20 23:48:31 (permalink)
kudos

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
rmfegley
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 114
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/21 01:37:07 (permalink)
Anderton

I would prefer that this thread remain a "Tip of the Week" thread rather than have people try to treat it as a "Feature Request of the Week" thread, for several reasons:
  • There are already places for feature requests, including places where people can vote on them.
  • The Bakers don't monitor this thread, other than a few who want to see what crazy tip I come up. It's a waste of time to post a feature request in a place where no one in a position to implement a feature request will see it.
  • Feature requests "clutter" the thread. Periodically, I delete non-tip comments to make the thread more compact so it's easier to browse. Comments that aren't related to discussing or providing a tip get deleted at that time anyway, because people don't come to this thread to read feature requests. I also delete the "nice tip" comments as well, although they are very helpful initially in terms of gauging interest in a particular tip type.

Of course, I'm always interested in feedback on what types of tips people find most useful.

Whoops, sorry man! (now where's that embarrassed face emoji?). You can delete away, I'll repost in the appropriate forum

But as far as what kind of tips are most useful to me, exactly these kind that show techniques  or tips for using specific Sonar features, rather than more general production techniques (although those are also useful) The one from two weeks ago was great, just some lesser known shortcuts for navigating through different automation functions. Also, the humanizing hihats tips were great (and the article on the topic that you linked in another thread was pure gold.)

Thanks for sharing all this stuff.

Sonar Platinum latest update
Windows 10 Home
i7-4790 CPU
ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 960
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 
Alesis VI49 Keyboard/controller
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 keyboard/controller
Native Instruments Maschine Mk3

Native Instruments Maschine Jam
Native Instruments Komplete 10
Various other commercial and free plugins
&
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/21 17:15:31 (permalink)
rmfegley
Whoops, sorry man! (now where's that embarrassed face emoji?). You can delete away, I'll repost in the appropriate forum.

No problem, I do try to keep this thread a little more under control because in the "first generation" of tips, people found it difficult to browse or find relevant comments if there were too many posts. It was easy to deal with posts containing additional info - I'd just go back and edit the original tip to include the comments, with attribution.

It's all good, I'm just giving a gentle reminder this thread has a lot in common with a database.

Jyri T.
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/21 18:52:35 (permalink)
Anderton
This tip shows how to create an S-shaped curve that is much more flexible than a "canned" S-shaped curve where you can't adjust the horizontal or vertical weighting.

I see. Sorry.

Anderton
the subject of adding an S-shaped curve to the fade options was already addressed.

I didn't know that, sir. I'm truly sorry.

Anderton
A post that simply repeats another's post doesn't help those coming to this thread for tips.

I do agree. I'm utterly sorry.

Anderton
I would prefer that this thread remain a "Tip of the Week" thread rather than have people try to treat it as a "Feature Request of the Week" thread.

You are right, sir. I'm bitterly sorry. I got carried away. I won't let that happen again.

PS. Think Monty Python before you get angry at me... .

Sonar Platinum, Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (x64), Intel Xeon E3-1230L v3, MSI B85M ECO Intel B85, 8 GBytes RAM, OCZ VERTEX3 MI SSD, INTEL SSD, nVidia Geforce GT720, RME Digi9632
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/21 19:45:21 (permalink)
But I could be arguing in my spare time.  

konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/21 19:58:42 (permalink)
I've already used this tip four times today since I read it.  I used it on the Strings Master Bus to fade out strings not only at the end of the song, but at the end of sections or major phrases.

For the ends of sections or phrases, the last node is not -INF but minus -20, or whatever sounds right in relation to the initial volume. -INF is, of course, perfect for the end.

A natural string fade done under direction of a conductor is not as easy to fake as it would seem, and this helps a lot.

When I was first learning studio stuff working with an experienced produder, he taught me to fade manually buy pulling Master down gradually to about halfway, and then moving quickly the rest of the way.  Oddly, it did not occur to me to use this Fast+Slow curve technique when programming fades, so this is very helpful.

However, now that I see this is a repeat, I am really mad and am going to erase this off all my tracks.
post edited by konradh - 2017/05/24 17:13:35

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/26 15:42:15 (permalink)
Week 147: The Gourmet Flanger

I’m always looking for ways to get the “tape flanger” sound of "through-zero flanging" without tape. The differentiating aspect of through-zero flanging is that when the delayed and straight signals are out of phase and at the same delay time, they cancel to create a split-second of silence. Although the Sonitus Modulator offers a Tape option that approximates this sound, you don’t have control over how the Tape option works—with real flanging, tape motion was always somewhat variable; more often than not, the tape would sort of stagger around the through-zero point. So can we get an even more realistic tape flanging sound with SONAR? Of course we can!

The setup is a little complex, because we need to take the audio we want to flange and send it to two buses, or the same Patch Point in two Aux Tracks (as in the screen shot below). Note that with Aux Tracks, Input Echo needs to be enabled. Each Aux Track has a Sonitus Modulator effect, with one set for a constant 0.1 ms delay (labelled as the “Reference” track, which is also set out of phase), while the other “Flanger” track is set to sweep so it goes up to a lesser amount of delay than the zero-crossing point (in this case, 0.01 ms). Therefore, the signal cancels once when it sweeps up through the 0.1 ms delay point, and again when it sweeps back down through the 0.1 ms delay point. You want the interval between these two times to be fairly short; however you can lengthen this by increasing the Reference track’s delay parameter.

The Mix controls should be set to 100% delayed signal for the maximum effect. The Flanger track’s Depth control determines how low the flanger goes. 3-5 ms seems about right, but feel free to increase this for a wider-range effect that gets more into the chorus/delay range. Also, try different LFO waveforms. My favorites are the Triangle and Peak / Dip waveforms.

But wait…there’s more! Turning off the Phase button on the Reference track produces a different timbre that’s also useful, but the signals don’t cancel at the through-zero point, so they create a volume increase. In that case you might want to lengthen the Flanger track’s Delay parameter to avoid the through-zero point. I prefer the out-of-phase sound because it sounds more like “classic” flanging to me, but at least you have options. You can also experiment with increasing the amount of feedback; just remember to keep the levels identical.

And that’s it for gourmet flanging, so...bon appétit!

telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/26 17:56:47 (permalink)
Thanks, Craig. This looks intreresting -- guess I'll have to try it out to see how it sounds. I'm assuming I could save this as a track template? If so, would ALL of my settings be saved?
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/27 14:37:36 (permalink)
Anderton
I’m always looking for ways to get the “tape flanger” sound

Thanks, cant say Im a big connoisseur on flanging, but Ill give it a try, Ive used your Tape Flanger effect chain, in the "Anderton collection" it seems to work quite well also. 

Cheers
John

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/27 15:58:49 (permalink)
I may have mentioned this before, but my introduction to tape flanging was the flanging setup Hendrix used on Electric Ladyland. Our sessions were booked after his at the Record Plant, so the flanging was still set up. It was a treat when his sessions ran over and I got to see him mix. A lot of times the guys from Traffic were there, too. So when I say I'm looking for the tape flanging sound, that's the specific one I want.

JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/28 10:27:02 (permalink)
Cool, must have been an awesome experience, I guess you can answer, "Yes"  to "are you experienced" LOL, I can see why this sound would have stuck in your memory.

Cheers   

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/05/28 12:10:20 (permalink)
Cool!
Sounds like quite the experience 
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/02 19:49:45 (permalink)
Week 148: How to Use the New Drum Exciter Plug-In

With all the hoopla about the 2017.05 release, most people have overlooked the “Drum Exciter” plug-in that was included for Professional and Platinum owners. It emphasizes transients and adds “sparkle,” making it very suitable for drums, hand percussion, and other percussive instruments.

Maybe one reason it’s gone unnoticed is because it’s included in the Adaptive Limiter’s MP3 Encoding Preview function. But you don’t have to take my word for it: There’s an audio example that lets you hear the Drum Exciter’s effect for yourself. So stop laughing, and keep reading... 

TRACK AND EXCITER SETUP

There are two ways to set this up. The more traditional option is to add a Send to your drum track, and insert the Adaptive Limiter in the resulting bus. I prefer to dedicate a track to the excited signal, so I  insert the Adaptive Limiter in a  drum track, assign the drum track Out to an Aux Track, record the excited sound in the Aux Track, and finally return the drum track output to the Master bus (or wherever it went previously) after the recording is complete.

In either case, set the Adaptive Limiter Threshold to 0.0 for the most natural sound (later on, you might want to experiment with limiting to make the exciter effect more drastic). Next, click on the Expert button, then click on the MP3 Encoding Preview and Artifacts buttons. Set Lookahead to minimum, and choose 320 for the Bit Rate. At this bit rate, very little data is thrown away other than high frequencies and transients—exactly what we want for an exciter.

One of the reasons I dedicate a track to the excited sound is so I can normalize it up, and then use the channel fader to bring it back down to something reasonable. But regardless of how you do your tracking, adjust the excited sound’s level to taste, and voilà! An excited drum track.

BUT WAIT—THERE’S MORE!

There are two fertile fields for experimentation. One is to actually do limiting with the Adaptive Limiter, however bear in mind that the artifact sound will still have a bit of that “swirly” MP3 sound so it might not be cool. Or it might…experiment!

The second option is what makes this really useful: Insert the PX-64 Percussion Strip in the excited audio track (or bus with the Adaptive Limiter in it). Enable the Shaper module; turn Attack all the way clockwise, and Weight and Decay fully counter-clockwise. This emphasizes the transients, while minimizing the other artifacts.

THE AUDIO DEMO

Okay, I know you don’t believe me—and I don’t blame you! So to confound the skeptics, I’ve posted an audio example at craiganderton.com in the Demos section, and you can hear the results for yourself. Note that this particular example uses the PX-64 as described above, so it’s a bit more subtle. The first two measures are the “excited” sound, the next two measures are without the exciter (it’s an “after and before” example!), while the final two measures isolate the excited sound by itself.

dannyjmusic
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 237
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/02 21:03:38 (permalink)
Hey Craig...what audio player are you using on the exciter demo on your website?
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/02 22:09:54 (permalink)
Whatever comes with Godaddy's "web site construction for idiots" package 

The Grim
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/02 23:28:41 (permalink)
mr anderton you would have to be one of the most 'out of the box creative people' doing the rounds, some of the stuff you come up with is quite remarkable, definitely a boost to the cakewalk world. i really like this one, although i would most likely use a purpose built piece of kit, that and i haven't used sonar that much since i switched 2 and a half years ago, still . . . excellent, well done
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/03 04:16:28 (permalink)
The Grim
though i would most likely use a purpose built piece of kit

Well...here's the thing. This doesn't produce a sound like an Aphex Aural Exciter, BBE Maximizer, etc. I don't use those on drums, but I would use this. The reason why is when you add in the limiting itself, that changes the character considerably. Also It's possible not just to push the transients, but give a bit of a "tail."

Using "out of the ordinary" processing gives a distinctive sound. It's more of the analog aesthetic, where no two "anythings" sound alike. Back in the days of big studios, there was a sense of experimentation that came from doing crazy things to see what would happen. A lot of the most iconic sounds in recording came not from anything purpose-built, but by someone saying "What if..."

Then again, to avoid personal embarrassment I don't write up the epic fails as a tip of the week - just the ones that actually work 

FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/03 14:13:19 (permalink)
Craig, you have given me ANOTHER great idea using plugs that we already own.  I am going to try it out over the weekend.  I have been looking for some time to get a certain sound for the drum kit and have not had any success.

Thanks so much.

Clint

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 21
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1