Helpful ReplyFriday's Tip of the Week #167: Behold! Dual Mono Becomes Stereo!

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 21
Author
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/09 22:40:40 (permalink)
I would credit the Sonitus FX suite as one of the core reasons I've stuck with SONAR over the years.

Minor correction: the Sonitus:fx suite from Ultrafunk was introduced with SONAR 3 Produced, in 2003, not 2013.
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/10 02:25:29 (permalink)
Yeah I keep using the gate and the comp too for quick ducking via sidechain when I need it.
The delay has snuck into some mixes here and there.

Have you ever tried the dbx 165 preset on the comp?
Pretty special.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/10 03:02:12 (permalink)
stickman393
I would credit the Sonitus FX suite as one of the core reasons I've stuck with SONAR over the years.

Minor correction: the Sonitus:fx suite from Ultrafunk was introduced with SONAR 3 Produced, in 2003, not 2013.

Damn decimals! Fixed, thanks.

Craig

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/10 03:30:50 (permalink)
bitman
Have you ever tried the dbx 165 preset on the comp?
Pretty special.

Count me as a fan. It's the only dbx 160-series emulation I own, though I wonder how the other "proper" emulations stack up.

Anderton
Damn decimals! Fixed, thanks.

Eh, what's a decade here and there?
The Grim
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/10 03:39:45 (permalink)
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/10 03:54:15 (permalink)
The Grim
http://www.waves.com/plug...view-with-eddie-kramer

no comparison

Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm trying to stay out of the Waves ecosystem. Between the 1 machine at a time limitation and the WUP, it isn't attractive to me.
The Grim
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/10 04:06:51 (permalink)
sorry for off topic, but wup is optional, not even an issue, but i respect your choice

(and sonar is also one machine at a time)
declan
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/10 06:25:35 (permalink)
As always, great tip Craig.  It's amusing that most of the "cons" of Sonar that I've read always include "much of their fx and synths are a bit dated".

Your words are highly ironic though:
"So, of course I did the standard procedure of going to the forum, and creating a thread called “MAJOR SONAR BUG!!!!!!!!!!! SONITUS CAN’T SAVE PRESETS!!!! SWITCHING TO REAPER!!!!”

One of the criticisms about Reaper I hear really are "well they do have some nice fx, but there's not a decent synth to be had".

The clock just struck midnight so I am now 55, and I am buying Reaper (and your Sonar Tips & Tricks thingy), but Sonar will always be my primary daw.  Reaper somehow fascinates me, and it's really not a complementary daw with Sonar (they both share some common weaknesses) but it's soo inexpensive and all of my CW stuff works perfectly in it.  Thanks again.  
The Grim
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/10 07:04:18 (permalink)
declan

The clock just struck midnight so I am now 55, and I am buying Reaper (and your Sonar Tips & Tricks thingy), but Sonar will always be my primary daw Reaper somehow fascinates me, and it's really not a complementary daw with Sonar (they both share some common weaknesses) but it's soo inexpensive and all of my CW stuff works perfectly in it.  Thanks again.  

that right there, regardless of if it is reaper or pro tools, or cubase or ableton or studio one or whatever, your cutting yourself off from something you may find better suits you before you even begin, i'll never understand that, you may well find that the daw you are looking at just gels with you better, fits you better , appeals to you more, but for whatever reason you are cutting that chance off before it can even begin by saying "but sonar will always be my primary daw" i see this said every now and then with people posting in the software sub forum when trying another daw, they say the exact same thing, is it some misplaced foolish allegiance to a company?, some sort of emotional tie?, a need to feel part of something?, emotional attachment to a piece of software?, being so attached to a forum that people don't want to be seen as leaving sonar or being disloyal in some bizarre way? some kind of self imposed peer pressure?.  i don't mean to be pointing this at you personally, it is no way personal, i just don't understand it for the life of me, why people feel the need when exploring a competing product to preempt it with things like "but sonar will always be my primary daw", never will understand it. if i try something new it's with an open mind, and if i feel it is better, suits me better, i'm gone without a second thought. if people like you or not because of what daw you use, they are not worth knowing, if people treat you differently, or don't talk to you the same because you move on to a competing product, they are are not worth knowing. i'll never get it
declan
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/10 08:04:43 (permalink)
The Grim
declan

The clock just struck midnight so I am now 55, and I am buying Reaper (and your Sonar Tips & Tricks thingy), but Sonar will always be my primary daw Reaper somehow fascinates me, and it's really not a complementary daw with Sonar (they both share some common weaknesses) but it's soo inexpensive and all of my CW stuff works perfectly in it.  Thanks again.  

that right there, regardless of if it is reaper or pro tools, or cubase or ableton or studio one or whatever, your cutting yourself off from something you may find better suits you before you even begin, i'll never understand that, you may well find that the daw you are looking at just gels with you better, fits you better , appeals to you more, but for whatever reason you are cutting that chance off before it can even begin by saying "but sonar will always be my primary daw" i see this said every now and then with people posting in the software sub forum when trying another daw, they say the exact same thing, is it some misplaced foolish allegiance to a company?, some sort of emotional tie?, a need to feel part of something?, emotional attachment to a piece of software?, being so attached to a forum that people don't want to be seen as leaving sonar or being disloyal in some bizarre way? some kind of self imposed peer pressure?.  i don't mean to be pointing this at you personally, it is no way personal, i just don't understand it for the life of me, why people feel the need when exploring a competing product to preempt it with things like "but sonar will always be my primary daw", never will understand it. if i try something new it's with an open mind, and if i feel it is better, suits me better, i'm gone without a second thought. if people like you or not because of what daw you use, they are not worth knowing, if people treat you differently, or don't talk to you the same because you move on to a competing product, they are are not worth knowing. i'll never get it

WTH?  I've been using CW products since '96 and my brain is pretty hard-wired to their conventions, and I don't really care about what you'll "never understand".  I'm guessing you say that a lot if you use it  twice in the same paragraph.

As to "community" and Sonar, I've never met anyone who puts it down and I often chuckle about the bbs "reality" that really bothers some people.   And lay off the advice about what to do "if people don't like you" or "being treated differently".  My birthday lasts about a fortnight, and I've never had a disagreement about a daw.  People like what they like.  Have a good weekend.
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/10 11:08:49 (permalink)
declan

The clock just struck midnight so I am now 55

Happy birthday!! 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/10 15:25:33 (permalink)
Thanks again Craig.  Looking forward to the coming "behind the curtain" tease.

And Happy Birthday Declan. 

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
Studioguy1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 244
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/10 16:53:29 (permalink)
Bought your book and I am really enjoying it.  Has given me some different perspectives for sure.  Recently re-awakened to the Sonitus plug-ins when I needed some help in a mix-down.  Thank you for your efforts.  Great as ever.

SG

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
Blue Clown Records Ltd
Blue Clown Publishing BMI
Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
declan
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/11 05:24:03 (permalink)
Zargg
declan

The clock just struck midnight so I am now 55

Happy birthday!! 

Thanks, it's been a good one.

declan
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/11 05:25:06 (permalink)
FCCfirstclass
Thanks again Craig.  Looking forward to the coming "behind the curtain" tease.

And Happy Birthday Declan. 

Thank you.
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/11 14:28:56 (permalink)
The Grim
sorry for off topic, but wup is optional, not even an issue, but i respect your choice

(and sonar is also one machine at a time)

Not the same though, you can install the software on multiple machines and move seemlessly between them.  With waves you have move licenses between your machines, which is minor hassle.  

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

Paul G
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2334
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/11 20:17:33 (permalink)
Thanks for this Craig.  I've always used Sonar's Plugin Manager to backup plugin presets.  It's slow but I do know where they end up.

Paul

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Paul Robert Glaser
The Brothers Glaser
SoundClick
pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/12 21:17:07 (permalink)
Thanks for both the tip and the chuckle! I appreciated the "Forum SWAT team" bit! LOL
I still use mine, mostly because I'm used to them and they still sound good!

AND Happy Birthday Declan!
I thought I posted this before .... but it showed up "later".... must be the time change! LOL
post edited by pentimentosound - 2017/03/12 22:21:37

i7 4790k 4Ghz 16gb+4HDD, Win10, ASUS G74s Laptop i7 2670QM 2.2ghz-16gb, Win10. CbB, Mixbus4, Studio One3 Artist, Z3ta2, RapturePro, GPO5, GS2, EP4, IK TR5, AT4, MP2, Melodyne Stud4, PSP(22), PS kits, BFD2, GA4, 18i20, PreSonus MP20A(BurrBrown), ISA One, Warm Audio WA76, ADK Thor, M160, RAB1, MA200, MA101fet, E100s, e835, EquatorD5, YSM-1, GoldDigger, CherryPicker, Kurz K2500, Aura Spectrum, ControlPad, PRRI, 17 ac & elec gtrs-mandos+bass, lap steels, banjo, fiddle, harmonicas+perc
AdamGrossmanLG
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1436
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/13 22:30:33 (permalink)
Anderton

So, of course I did the standard procedure of going to the forum, and creating a thread called “MAJOR SONAR BUG!!!!!!!!!!! SONITUS CAN’T SAVE PRESETS!!!! SWITCHING TO REAPER!!!!” Three minutes later Cakewalk’s elite Forum Monitor SWAT Team appeared, analyzed the problem, added a patch to the Command Center, and all was well.

people who do this really irk me.

cool tip, thank you!
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/16 00:35:29 (permalink)
https://youtu.be/VrXlsz2hLQk

Video tip showing how to add channel tools to an effect chain and map a nob that defaults to center and gives the illusion of pan or stereo location while leaving the sound in both right and left channels.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/16 03:25:31 (permalink)
Thanks so much Craig! We're driving blind without you at the wheel.  This does beg a question. Why oh Why aren't the permission ticked and ready to save presets upon installation. I struggled with saving presets like you mentioned, I would save them to only see they were not really saved when I recalled the plug. Case in point, your lifter fx chain that used 2 instances of the sonitus compressor. 

BTW - the lifter fx is one of my favorites on the 2-buss for a lot of projects. I tried it on a guitar only buss last night and it worked very well there as well. Thank You for that chain!
post edited by musicroom - 2017/03/16 13:33:45

Dave
Songs

Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/17 22:00:13 (permalink)
Friday’s Tip of the Week #137: Get More Out of TH3 Cakewalk Edition

Welcome to a special "stuck in the Houston airport while my 3:35 PM departure gets shifted to an 8:00 PM departure" Friday's Tip of the Week. This is Day 2 of my trying to get home from Ft. Lauderdale, after being at sea since March 11th. Fortunately, due to my inherent distrust of airline schedules (note to Delta: It probably wasn't a good idea to name your airline after the Greek symbol for "change"...just sayin'), I had the presence of mind to prepare this tip before leaving. And amazingly, the wi-fi here actually functions! So we're good to go. 

TH3 has a Splitter module—drag the little button in the “pedalboard” section’s lower left corner into a signal chain, and you’ll insert a split that’s great for parallel processing. What TH3 Cakewalk Edition doesn’t have is an equalizer. Sure, you can put an equalizer before it or after it in the FX Rack, but sometimes it’s cooler to have equalization built into the preset itself…or be able to put it in the middle of a TH3 effects setup.

However TH3 actually does have an equalizer, and a pretty cool one: the Splitter. That’s because the Splitter can be a crossover, so if you use just one of the Splitter paths, it can have a highpass, lowpass, or bandpass/notch response. And the Splitter can go anywhere within a TH3 preset—at the beginning, end, or in the middle.

So here’s the deal for obtaining a highpass or lowpass response. 
  1. Set the Splitter X-Over Mode to Normal.
  2. Move the Splitter and Mixer output sliders all the way to the top. 
The X-Over Freq knob controls the lowpass filter frequency feeding the upper split. If you move the Splitter and Mixer output slider all the way to bottom, the X-Over Freq knob controls the highpass filter frequency feeding the lower split (although technically, it’s no longer a split because there’s only one signal path).

For the bandpass or notch response, do the following. 
  1. Set the Splitter X-Over Mode to Bandpass.
  2. Move the Splitter and Mixer output sliders all the way to the top. 
The X-Over Freq knob controls the bandpass filter frequency feeding the upper split, and Freq Spread sets the Q (higher values = higher Q). If you move the Splitter and Mixer output slider all the way to bottom, the X-Over Freq knob controls the highpass filter frequency feeding the lower split (although technically, it’s no longer a split because there’s only one signal path).

If you move the Splitter and Mixer output sliders all the way to the bottom, then the X-Over Freq knob controls the notch filter frequency feeding the lower split; again, Freq Spread sets the Q.

Also note that if you click the little crossover button in the Crossover module’s lower left, then that reverses the processed path. For example if you’ve set up the upper split to be a lowpass filter, clicking the crossover button turns it into a highpass filter instead.

So you’re probably thinking “okay, but why is this useful?” Here are two examples, but there are plenty more.

The above inserts a lowpass filter in front of an amp set for a fair amount of distortion. Lowering the frequency means that high frequencies are filtered out before hitting the amp, so they’re not distorted and don’t generate ultra-high frequencies. The result is a beefier, bassier sound that works great for power chords when you want to leave some room in the high frequencies for vocals and other instruments.

The next example inserts a highpass filter between the amp and speaker cabinet to reduce the low frequencies. This makes the cabinet sound more like an open-back type.

Note that there can be only one Splitter within an effects chain, but aside from that limitation, the Splitter-as-EQ can be very handy when you want to tailor a preset’s tone.

Okay, time to use my meal voucher to go grab dinner...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Zargg
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/17 22:13:11 (permalink)
Thanks for yet great another tip, Craig. Especially liked the tip about filtering out higher frequencies from distorting to let vocals through.
All the best.
Edit: Have a good meal (if there are any) 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

declan
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/17 22:55:21 (permalink)
Thanks again Craig. 

listen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/18 19:37:44 (permalink)
Thanks for increasing my knowledge base...

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/18 19:41:25 (permalink)
Well, we all hang out in the forum to increase our personal knowledge bases . Happy to do my part!

Zargg
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/18 20:53:56 (permalink)
You share more than the average SONARian Craig 

Have you gotten home yet, or are you still waiting for your meal / flight?

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/18 23:28:44 (permalink)
Zargg
Have you gotten home yet, or are you still waiting for your meal / flight?

Thanks for asking! I'm currently in Day 3 of trying to get from Fort Lauderdale to Nashville. I probably should have just rented a car...United Airlines put me up in a hotel last night, where I had a great conversation about Soca and Zouk with three fine-looking black lady music lovers who wanted to go clubbing . And one of them has Kassav on her phone, so I got to hear some of my favorite music. And...United felt sorry for me, so I have a first class ticket. (Remember - no matter how nasty other people act, always be nice to the person behind the ticket counter

So I'm not complaining! It's an adventure.

My 3:35 PM flight for today got delayed, but in theory I'm supposed to be out of Houston by 7 PM. Fingers crossed. I wrote a new song last night and am anxious to get home and record it. I used the Chord Library to sketch out the progression and sang into the laptop mic. I also truly appreciated the value of the virtual onscreen controller and low WASAPI latency. Fortunately I had the good sense to get a pair of IK Micro-Monitors before I left, so I had good sound 

Life is always interesting. Actually I've had a downright fabulous week. Sometimes when you just go with the flow, good things happen.

Zargg
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/18 23:43:28 (permalink)
As long as you're able to enjoy it, do so 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

dannyjmusic
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 237
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/03/20 14:51:03 (permalink)
Is it worth upgrading from Cakewalk version TH3 to the full version?
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 21
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1