Helpful ReplyHot!Friday's Tip of the Week #151: Super-Long LFO Waveforms

Page: << < ..11121314 Showing page 14 of 14
Author
Anderton
Official Bartender
  • Total Posts : 12589
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/17 02:37:27 (permalink)
Week 150: MIDI Velocity “Compression” with the Transform Tool

Sometimes variations in MIDI velocity can be excessive, resulting in audio with wild dynamic swings. Of course you could apply audio compression, but it can be better to apply compression to the data itself to reduce the dynamic range.

Although it’s always been possible to compress MIDI data by applying scaling (with either the Velocity MIDI FX or the Velocity Scaling feature added in 2015) and then adding the MIDI equivalent of makeup gain, the Transform Tool offers a simpler and more visual option. Note that the following technique also works with controllers.

Referring to the screen shot, there are three groups of data.

The one on the left is the original one. The Transform Tool has been placed over the middle group, with the upper line at the top of the highest values. Dragging the bottom node (Scale Up/Down) up about halfway scales the waveform from the bottom up, raising the level of low-level data values ratiometrically. Because the Transform Tool’s upper line is right at the top of the highest values, the highest values are not affected.

The group on the right shows the velocity values after this MIDI “data compression.”

So the Transform Tool provides velocity compression with a single drag—without the need to add makeup gain. But wait—there’s more!

Remember that only values within the Transform Tool “box” itself are modified. So If you move the Transform Tool’s lower line up somewhat from the bottom, then only velocities above that lower boundary will be compressed, and ones below that boundary will not be compressed. Pretty cool, eh?

(I'm at the Between the Waves event in Madison, Wisconsin - with workshops, bands, etc. - Saturday 6/17 and Sunday 6/18. Stop by if you're in the area and say "hi.")

Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from craiganderton.com or my YouTube channelListen, like, share the links!

Note: The opinions expressed in this post were written by Craig Anderton in his personal capacity and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cakewalk Inc. or Gibson Brands Inc.
bitman
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3429
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/17 18:42:35 (permalink)
Anderton

Sometimes variations in MIDI velocity can be excessive, resulting in audio with wild dynamic swings.

Do you know why this is true Master?

azslow3
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2253
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/18 11:21:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby glennstanton 2017/06/18 16:07:46
Please excuse me if that sounds like a self advertisement, but since this small free plug-in was created for Sonar I hope that is acceptable to mention it in this context
http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,275.0.html
By drawing different "curves" it is possible to level/scale/"compress"/"expand"/etc. MIDI velocity. Not as easy to use as the method described in the tip, but can work for live input (as Track MFX), non destructive track/clip processor or permanent processor.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
M-Audio Audiophile Firewire, SB X-Fi Gamer, Kawai CN43, Roland A500S, TD-11, VS-20, Akai MPK Mini, Peavey StudioMix etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR
Anderton
Official Bartender
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/18 15:06:59 (permalink)
azslow3
Please excuse me if that sounds like a self advertisement, but since this small free plug-in was created for Sonar I hope that is acceptable to mention it in this context

Not just acceptable...a fine addition! Thanks.

Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from craiganderton.com or my YouTube channelListen, like, share the links!

Note: The opinions expressed in this post were written by Craig Anderton in his personal capacity and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cakewalk Inc. or Gibson Brands Inc.
Anderton
Official Bartender
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/24 02:31:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2017/06/24 12:33:55
Week 151: Super-Long LFO Waveforms

Sometimes I think the drawing tool for automated LFO waveforms is underappreciated, but it does have a significant limitation—it can’t draw “frequencies” slower than 1 measure automatically. Fortunately there’s a simple, albeit manual, way to create automation curves with as long a period as you want. To show how, let’s draw a panning sine wave LFO automation waveform (triangle and sawtooth waves are easy, so we'll do something challenging) with a frequency of 4 measures.

1. Add a node at measures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, and arrange as shown. The nodes at 1 and 5 should be at one extreme of the excursion, and the node at 3 for the other extreme (in this case, the panning excursion extends between 80% left and 45% right). If all you wanted was a triangle wave LFO you could skip to step 4, but let’s continue with the sine wave.

2. Right-click on the line between nodes 2 and 3 and select Fast Curve. Do the same for the line between nodes 4 and 5. Next, right-click on the line between nodes 1 and 2 and select Slow Curve. Do the same for the line between nodes 3 and 4.

3. Select the automation curve you created, copy it, and place the Now time at measure 5.

4. Call up Paste Special, and in Advanced mode, specify paste Track/Bus automation, and choose the number of cycles you want under Repetitions.

5. Once you click on OK, you’ll create your super-low-frequency LFO waveform.

But wait! There's more! You can create any arbitrary waveform that makes you happy, and repeat it as many times as you want. And of course, it doesn't have to fall on measure boundaries, either. 

pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1290
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/24 20:00:57 (permalink)
That's one I could have used a while ago!   I am very glad to have a much better handle on how to do it "next time". That's way easier than what I did and reminds me that standing back and thinking about a solution will always present a simpler easier path. Nice
Thanks Craig!
Michael

Anonymungus!
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/24 20:53:18 (permalink)
Great tip Craig that I think many of us will use in the future.  Thank You !   

Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime, Windows 10 x64, Intel Quad Core CPU@3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, (2)1.5T Hard Drives, Presonus AudioBox 44VSL, Roland A-500Pro MIDI Controller & lots more stuff

quaymat321234
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/06/24 21:48:09 (permalink)
Thank you, Craig, for all your effort :) 
Page: << < ..11121314 Showing page 14 of 14
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1