Helpful ReplyFriday's Tip of the Week #167: Behold! Dual Mono Becomes Stereo!

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 21
Author
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/05 11:29:30 (permalink)
Thanks, Craig.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/05 12:06:48 (permalink)
I like vegetables. Thanks Craig. Good and concise coverage of a handy and useful feature.

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/05 19:33:58 (permalink)
Last time I used linked clips was way back in Sonar 7 (IIRC).
Deleting one clip would - but not always - delete SOME of the linked clips.
At the time I assumed the original clip must have been master, but which one was it now?

I finally got myself thoroughly muddled and never used linking again.
Now I see I probably changed clips and unintentionally unlinked them.
FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/07 14:10:16 (permalink)
Powerful stuff Craig.  The last links that I used were MS Golf and the Bay Hills Club.

Now I begin to understand how Sonar works with links and will practice the moves.  

Thanks as always. 

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/12 04:00:32 (permalink)
Week 158: Wireless, Hands-Free SONAR Control

I recently did a Harmony Central Expert Review on the PageFlip Firefly, which is a Bluetooth wireless controller for flipping pages in scores. Wait! Don’t stop reading! You’ll soon see how this relates to SONAR.

The Firefly ($109.95) is a pedal-controlled, Bluetooth page-turner that works wirelessly (or wired, via an included USB cable) with Android, iOS, Mac, or Windows. The premise is that although it’s great that you can put sheet music and scores on a mobile device like a smart phone or tablet, as well as a computer, there’s still the issue of needing to turn pages. This requires taking your hands off your instrument and swiping the screen (or with a computer, pushing a key). I was particularly interested in PageFlip’s products because I do a lot of narration and voiceovers; printing out narration means paper rustling.

Because the Firefly emulates keyboard presses, the sheet music or text app needs to respond to page up/page down, arrow left/right, arrow up/down, mouse click left/right, or space/enter. But this also means you can control quite a few SONAR functions out of the box via the two noiseless, clickless footswitches. More importantly, PageFlip’s free software app for 64-bit Windows (sorry, 32-bit need not apply; however, note that it’s also available for MacOS 10.9+) lets you program custom keyboard assignments, including keypress combinations and hotkey functions.

The first thing I did was program one pedal for “R” so I could initiate recording, with the other set to Space Bar for start/stop. Now I could do hands-free punching as well as start recording. The Firefly has five presets, all of which are programmable. For example when editing, you could use the page up/page down option to do foot-controlled zooming. Basically, anything you can do with a keyboard shortcut can be done with the Firefly.

Furthermore, you can add two optional, external pedals to the Firefly for four-pedal operation. These are also programmable, resulting in four foot-controlled keyboard shortcut options. The user interface for the Firefly is super-simple: turn on power, and then select one of the five possible switching modes. An additional switch turns on an LED in each pedal so you can see them in the dark. And connectivity is easy; pairing via Bluetooth is painless. If you don’t have Bluetooth you can buy an optional Bluetooth USB dongle for $15.

The Firefly runs on batteries, but PageFlip estimates they’ll last a year under normal use, and there’s a triple-flash LED warning when it's time to change the batteries.

So if you’ve been looking for a Bluetooth, wireless, foot-controlled way to send keyboard shortcuts to SONAR...here you go. I’ve been using the Firefly for a while, and it does exactly what the company claims. There's more information available at pageflip.com.

(Note: The Firefly is the most popular of the line, but if you’re also interested in more general-purpose computer control, $20 extra gets you the Dragonfly with two footswitches in an upper row above the lower footswitches. Realistically, $20 is probably less than buying two more footswitches for the Firefly.)

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/12 12:42:49 (permalink)
K, so now how do I connect my sheet music to bluetooth?? (LOL).
(I see they also have a mechanical one for turning paper pages)

Like the idea of foot control when recording alone, funny never thought of trying to assign those Sonar commands to my midi controllable pedal board. Albeit this is silent and wireless (BT)

Thanks and cheers

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

AllanH
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/12 14:22:44 (permalink)
@Anderton - Great idea. A while ago, I got an Akai MPD232 and have important shortcuts programmed on that. The foot control, however, is such a great idea.

Sonar Platinum, EWHO/D, Spitfire, Miroslav, Pianoteq, ....,  Kurzweil.
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/12 16:57:42 (permalink)
Anderton

If you don’t have Bluetooth you can buy an optional Bluetooth USB dongle for $15.

Or connect it with a USB cable.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/12 17:20:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pentimentosound 2017/08/13 16:45:39
Yes, as stated in the beginning but to clarify, there are three PageFlip models; the least expensive one, the Butterfly, connects only via wireless. USB is in the Firefly and the more expensive Dragonfly. In any event I find the wireless aspect very cool when doing overdubs with a mic, and want to be some distance away from the computer's associated noise. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
paulf707
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/13 14:49:50 (permalink)
Yes, I have a very cheap/simple USB footswitch (came from ebay I think) that emulates a space bar. Really useful when you're editing to be able to start/stop without moving away from what you're doing......
I've got an old broken midi patch changer in the loft (8 or 10 footswitches) that I retrofitted with one of these:
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=306&zenid=3175386a3ecdbf386b8a1561df05a986
You can then use freeware tools like 'JoyToKey' to map joystick buttons to keypresses..... 

I used it a few times when gigging, but haven't used it for a while.... Keep thinking of trying it out with Sonar......

Sonar X3, Dell XPS 2720 All-In-One Touchscreen PC, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Miditech Midistart Music 25, EMU XBoard 49, AKG K702

https://soundcloud.com/user-795249686
https://blend.io/perpetualmotion

pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/13 16:47:47 (permalink)
Much cheaper to buy than treating your room/making a laptop quiet  ...... I track on my laptop and edit/mix on my desktop, so maybe I'll try this out. Thanks!
gitta_nice
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/17 08:08:52 (permalink)
Thanks for another cool tip Craig.
I have had a couple of blues harmonicas for years, so now might be the time to start learning / using them 
All the bests.

~~~ appnaz.com ~~~
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/19 03:49:03 (permalink)
Week 159: The Matrix View Sampler You Can Trigger with MIDI Tracks

One limitation—or maybe I should say, former limitation—of the Matrix View is that although it could “MIDI Learn” a keyboard, drum pads, Novation Launchpad, etc., you couldn't record this MIDI data and edit it for playback as it triggered the Matrix View cells. Of course, you could record the audio in audio tracks, and edit it in any way you can edit audio, which is all many people want. But follow this tip, and you can trigger the Matrix view from a SONAR MIDI track you recorded.

First, you need to download and install LoopBe1, a free virtual MIDI driver from www.nerds.de. You can choose this as a track output, and that output will (as if by magic) send MIDI to the Matrix View MIDI input. Important: You don’t want LoopB1’s MIDI input and output enabled on a track in such a way that this would cause a feedback loop, because a MIDI feedback loop alters the very fabric of the universe. Well actually it’s not that bad, but you do have to turn turn off whatever was responsible for the feedback loop, then re-enable LoopBe1 using its Taskbar icon (you may need to look in the Taskbar’s Hidden Icons section for this).

SETUP TIME

1. Call up the Matrix view and load it up with samples you want to trigger...let’s say short one-shots, because you want to drag AudioSnap slices into cells, and play electronic drum hits.
2. Use MIDI Learn (right-click on a cell) to assign the Matrix View pads to MIDI notes. (I don’t think MIDI Learn assignments are remembered with projects or templates...if not, time for a feature request. However, if even one cell contains data, it appears a template will remember MIDI Learn assignments for all cells, whether empty or not.)
3. In Preferences > MIDI > Devices, under Inputs and Outputs check LoopBe internal MIDI.
4. Set up the Matrix View cell triggering parameters as appropriate to your needs. In this case, to trigger one-shots, turn off Capture Matrix Performance, Follow Transport, Global Loop Mode and Latch Mode. Turn on Retrigger Mode, Cell Start, and Cell MIDI Trigger Enable. Make sure Trigger Resolution is set to Immediate. The Matrix View header should look like this:

5. Create a MIDI track. Set its Input to your controller, and the Output to LoopBe Internal MIDI.
(Note that if you want to drag in slices from AudioSnapped audio, click on the Matrix Options button and uncheck Import Content as Groove Clips.)

Now when you record on your MIDI track, you’ll trigger the cells in the Matrix View. But even better, when you play back the MIDI track, that will also trigger the cells. With this technique you can edit the MIDI track and change times, insert and remove notes, quantize, apply MFX...the mind boggles.

Here’s a complete example of what I’m talking about:

• The top three tracks are individual audio outs from the Matrix View
  • The audio track below that has slices from an EDM Percussion Library loop, which had been dragged in from the Browser, then sliced into beats with AudioSnap
  • The MIDI file recorded pad presses, and the MIDI data plays back through the Matrix
  • The Matrix itself has two rows loaded with drum sounds, and another row loaded with slices from the AudioSnapped file
  • Important note: The Matrix View triggers multiple clips per column, but only one clip per row (the opposite of Ableton Live, which triggers multiple clips per row but only one clip per column). Stack the one-shots one above another in a column to be able to trigger them polyphonically.

So...the Matrix View isn't just for performance—if you have internal MIDI Loopback. Happy slicing, dicing, and triggering!

Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/19 06:11:55 (permalink)
Oh yes. This is the way I have always wanted to use the Matrix. Too bad it requires a third party app. I have wished to be able to record a matrix performance as midi since it was introduced back in the stone age. Many moons ago I tried using a hardware midi loop but that was just too much of a headache.. LoopBe has been out for a long time but I never considered using it for driving the Matrix (DUh!). Thank you Craig. I have found use in almost all of your tips. But this one, well, it's the easy workaround for Matrix View's biggest flaw.

Thank You.
Brando
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/19 13:00:22 (permalink)
Very nice tip. Thanks Craig - I echo Base 57's sentiment that Matrix View should allow this without Loopbe or similar. But as usual Craig doesn't let a program limitation impact his ability to make full use of a great feature. I used to use Cyclone for a lot of this but it's inability to slice anything except acidized wav files kept me from using it more. Older 32 bit only tools like Phatmatik Pro (sadly retired) create too many stability headaches in 64 bit SONAR - using the Matrix View within SONAR is going to be  I think the preferred option. Well done.

Brando
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/19 13:33:45 (permalink)
Thanks again for another great tip Craig.   I see new life now for the matrix view.  

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
fcarosone
  • Total Posts : 241
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/19 17:58:36 (permalink)
I also dig this, yes, a MIDI recorder! I loved Cyclone more than 10 years ago and did beautiful things with it, but it's gone, I don't even understand why it's still there in the package. Then I thought Beatscape was the successor, nothing like (but the rex library still there). Then came the Matrix View and that's the instrument now that we/they have to make work.

"Below the realm of the musical note lies the realm of microsound. Sound coalesce, evaporate, and mutate into other sounds" (Curtis Roads)
http://www.carosone.eu/
Base 57
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/19 18:50:15 (permalink)
I downloaded LoopBe1 this morning and have been test driving the Matrix with it. Mind boggled. The possibilities...
Craig, you have come up with some good ones in the past. But this is... Man, I don't even know where to start. I'm just going to walk away for second cup before my head explodes. But again, thank you.
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/08/19 19:49:00 (permalink)
Glad you like it! I tried to get this to work before, but didn't have all the parameters set correctly...for example I'd drag in slices but if they were too short and Import Content as Groove Clips wasn't unchecked, it would seem like a fail. Once I had all the parameters quantified, I too was surprised at how well this works.

As to LoopBe1, it exists so we're good. Cakewalk could probably add the Matrix View as a MIDI Track output somehow, but I'd prefer they work on something else because we already have a solution. Besides, how could you NOT want to use something from a web site called nerds.de?

craigr68
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: Friday's Tip of the Week #159: The Matrix View Sampler You Can Trigger with MIDI Track 2017/08/19 21:13:38 (permalink)
I'm missing something here.  I think I'm good to step 5.  I have my Matrix set up with sounds in a couple rows.  From doing midi learn, I can trigger the sounds and hear them from midi keyboard (chan 16).  

In step 5:
I have the midi track input set to my midi keyboard transmitting on Chan16.  
Output is set to 06.Internal which is checked as midi output in preferences.  (The directions say "Output to LoopBe Internal MIDI")
If this is correct, how does the Matrix get the midi data from this output?
I did record some midi notes in this midi track and can verify them in Event view but the Matrix is not being triggered.    

(Note: I have loopbe30 - I'm using 5 ports and 06.Internal port is free and available as input or output.)
Very useful tip if I can get it working.  Thanks.

Anderton
Re: Friday's Tip of the Week #159: The Matrix View Sampler You Can Trigger with MIDI Track 2017/08/19 21:39:03 (permalink)
craigr68
I'm missing something here.  I think I'm good to step 5.  I have my Matrix set up with sounds in a couple rows.  From doing midi learn, I can trigger the sounds and hear them from midi keyboard (chan 16).  

In step 5:
I have the midi track input set to my midi keyboard transmitting on Chan16.  
Output is set to 06.Internal which is checked as midi output in preferences.  (The directions say "Output to LoopBe Internal MIDI")
I did record some midi notes in this midi track and can verify them in Event view but the Matrix is not being triggered.    

(Note: I have loopbe30 - I'm using 5 ports and 06.Internal port is free and available as input or output.)
Very useful tip if I can get it working.  Thanks.

I don't know about LoopBe3o, but in the following:

The track output should be set to LoopBe Internal MIDI, and you need to have the corresponding LoopBe port enabled in preferences for In and Out.

It all happens internally...it's similar to Apple's IAC. In other words, magic  

craigr68
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: Friday's Tip of the Week #159: The Matrix View Sampler You Can Trigger with MIDI Track 2017/08/20 13:54:01 (permalink)
Thanks.  I got it working.  Didn't realize you'd need both in & out for that virtual port enabled.  I did temporarily cause a midi loopback situation which may have broken Space Time temporarily, in case you felt a tremor.  Fortunately I had "Enable Shortcut Detection" enabled in loopbe30 which saved the universe.
Anderton
Re: Friday's Tip of the Week #159: The Matrix View Sampler You Can Trigger with MIDI Track 2017/08/20 14:03:04 (permalink)
Glad it's working for you. It's probably worth noting that if there is a MIDI feedback situation, LoopBe will turn itself off and stay off until you re-enable it.

Anderton
Re: Friday's Tip of the Week #159: The Matrix View Sampler You Can Trigger with MIDI Track 2017/08/25 15:55:11 (permalink)
Week #160: Cut Audio Groove Clips Into Slices—Easily!

REX files are inherently sliced into little pieces, because that’s how the REX time-stretching process works. As a result, it’s easy to treat these slices as individual clips. Groove Clips, aka Acidized files, use a different stretching technology that places markers at transients, and uses DSP to provide the stretching. This allows for following pitch markers, as well as far better-sounding stretching with some types of audio files (e.g., you can’t really stretch pads or sustained sounds with REX files; you can with Groove Clips). However properly stretched Acidized files typically have a lot more transient markers than REX files, which makes anything that does automatic assignments messy and unnecessarily complex.

But wouldn’t it be great if you could treat Groove Clips like REX files, and extract individual slices quickly and easily? And then drag them into the Matrix View Sampler covered in last week’s tip, or some other sampler (like Sessions Drummer 3) if you want? Well you can…here’s all there is to it.

1. Bring a Groove Clip into the Track View, and place the Now Time at or before the clip’s beginning.
2. Every time you hit tab, the Now Time lands at the beginning of a Groove Clip slice.
3. Type S to split.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the desired slices are individual clips.

You can now drag the slices into other tracks, the Matrix View Sampler, Session Drummer 3, etc. The following video shows just how easy this is.

But wait! There’s more!!

• To audition a slice prior to dragging it into something, click the slice to select it, and then hit Shift + Space Bar.
  • If you encounter clicks at the beginning and/or end of slices due to cutting on non-zero crossings, no problem. Select all the slices, and add a very short (a few milliseconds) fade time to the beginning and end of one slice—all selected slices will now have short fade times.

ljb500
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Friday's Tip of the Week #159: The Matrix View Sampler You Can Trigger with MIDI Track 2017/08/25 16:58:14 (permalink)
if you download uvi workstation (which is free) it will map the slices of an acid loop straight to the keyboard, also

if you have battery you can load the acid loop straight in and it will map the slices straight to the pads.

alternatively you could also use the tx16 sampler (which is also free) and drag your loop in, set hit points and select map slices to the keyboard to play out the slices.

no need to be tabbing, splitting, dragging each individual slice to each individual pad in session drummer or matrix view if you use any of the above.
Anderton
Re: Friday's Tip of the Week #159: The Matrix View Sampler You Can Trigger with MIDI Track 2017/08/25 17:29:20 (permalink)
ljb500
if you download uvi workstation (which is free) it will map the slices of an acid loop straight to the keyboard, also

if you have battery you can load the acid loop straight in and it will map the slices straight to the pads.

alternatively you could also use the tx16 sampler (which is also free) and drag your loop in, set hit points and select map slices to the keyboard to play out the slices.

no need to be tabbing, splitting, dragging each individual slice to each individual pad in session drummer or matrix view if you use any of the above.

Okay, but you're missing the point. I have Battery (I wrote the manual for it), and know how to do automatic mapping. But I don't WANT slices mapped automatically to a keyboard or drum pads, particularly because I know how to create Acid loops that can stretch over a very wide range compared to many commercial libraries. This involves putting in extra transient markers in ways that I've discussed previously. Ultimately it takes me much more time to fix "automatic" mappings in order to turn them into something useful, as opposed to just getting it right at the source.

For example with a sustained sound that has transient markers in the middle to prevent "wobble" when stretching, there's no way automatic mapping will preserve the sustain. So after doing your "automatic" assignment you have to go to the source file, open it in your DAW, isolate the sustained section, cut it, delete the spurious clips that spilled over to other pads, then replace the first slice with the file you just created.

Using the method described in the tip, you can see in the Loop Construction view exactly where the slices fall, define the slices exactly as you want, and audition an individual slice easily before deciding whether to drag it into a pad. Furthermore, with SONAR's loop construction window, you can alter the gain, pitch, and panning of individual slices prior to slicing up the file. With some playback instruments you can do this at the pad itself, but it's better to make these changes in the context of hearing them with their associated slices, rather than creating a sequence to play back your pads, then going into each pad and making the adjustments after the fact.

Yet another advantage is that by working on the file itself in Track View, you can eliminate clicks from non-zero crossings simply and quickly. There's no need to set attack or decay times for individual pads.

The easiest way to do something is not always the best way. I'm sure there are many SONAR users reading this who have wanted to be able to exert far greater control over handling slices and assignments than the options you've mentioned, and now they can.

Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Friday's Tip of the Week #159: The Matrix View Sampler You Can Trigger with MIDI Track 2017/08/25 17:43:55 (permalink)
Nice tip again, Craig. I still haven't gotten around to using the MV, but will sooner or later 
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Anderton
Re: Friday's Tip of the Week #159: The Matrix View Sampler You Can Trigger with MIDI Track 2017/08/25 18:29:57 (permalink)
So there wouldn't be a misunderstanding about why I limited this tip to audio Groove Clips, I added the following at the beginning for those not familiar with the difference between REX and Acidized files: "However properly stretched Acidized files typically have a lot more transient markers than REX files, which makes anything that does automatic assignments messy and unnecessarily complex." That should help.

Brando
Re: Friday's Tip of the Week #159: The Matrix View Sampler You Can Trigger with MIDI Track 2017/08/25 18:31:37 (permalink)
Nice tip Craig. Like Zargg I need to take another fresh look at Matrix View. To ljb500 : there are a lot of ways to do 'this'. Phatmatik Pro used to be my favourite tool for this but alas is only 32 bit and has been retired. I think the built in (maybe not anymore?) Cyclone does it too as long as the loop is acidized before import. But automapping each slice is less helpful than selecting only desired slices and mapping those specifically to desired midi keys or using the slices elsewhere.
Nice!

Brando
ljb500
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Friday's Tip of the Week #159: The Matrix View Sampler You Can Trigger with MIDI Track 2017/08/25 18:39:55 (permalink)
Anderton
ljb500

Okay, but you're missing the point. I have Battery (I wrote the manual for it), and know how to do automatic mapping. But I don't WANT slices mapped automatically to a keyboard or drum pads, particularly because I know how to create Acid loops that can stretch over a very wide range compared to many commercial libraries. This involves putting in extra transient markers in ways that I've discussed previously. Ultimately it takes me much more time to fix "automatic" mappings in order to turn them into something useful, as opposed to just getting it right at the source.

For example with a sustained sound that has transient markers in the middle to prevent "wobble" when stretching, there's no way automatic mapping will preserve the sustain. So after doing your "automatic" assignment you have to go to the source file, open it in your DAW, isolate the sustained section, cut it, delete the spurious clips that spilled over to other pads, then replace the first slice with the file you just created.

Using the method described in the tip, you can see in the Loop Construction view exactly where the slices fall, define the slices exactly as you want, and audition an individual slice easily before deciding whether to drag it into a pad. Furthermore, with SONAR's loop construction window, you can alter the gain, pitch, and panning of individual slices prior to slicing up the file. With some playback instruments you can do this at the pad itself, but it's better to make these changes in the context of hearing them with their associated slices, rather than creating a sequence to play back your pads, then going into each pad and making the adjustments after the fact.

Yet another advantage is that by working on the file itself in Track View, you can eliminate clicks from non-zero crossings simply and quickly. There's no need to set attack or decay times for individual pads.

The easiest way to do something is not always the best way. I'm sure there are many SONAR users reading this who have wanted to be able to exert far greater control over handling slices and assignments than the options you've mentioned, and now they can.

Fair enough, now you have pointed out the differences people will be able to make an informed decision as to which method will best suit their requirements and workflow.
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 21
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1