Friendly names for Mono ASIO channels

Author
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
2016/08/18 04:41:48 (permalink)
5 (3)

Friendly names for Mono ASIO channels

I'd appreciate if I could set a friendly name for each Mono ASIO channel in case I have "Show Mono Outputs" selected in Preferences / Audio.

Currently you can only define it for Stereo pairs, which sometimes causes routing errors (i.e. to get IN 6 you need to select IN 5 R) and you cannot properly name it according to mono preamps permanently routed to Sonar.

EDIT:
I would also prefer if you could designate certain ASIO channels to mono and others to stereo, give either friendly names and have a check mark option to decide which you want in the list of available inputs. This would be very helpful for setups with permanent routings.

In case of single channel preamps, I would want to use a mono friendly name and be able to uncheck/hide the stereo ASIO channel; in case of double mono/linked stereo preamps I would want to label each mono channel with a friendly name but keep the stereo option.

For example: when using 2 single channel tube preamps (let's use generic names like TUBE and FET), a double mono/linked stereo preamp (DBLTUBE) plus an external stereo synth I would use the first 6 input channels with friendly names as follows:

ASIO 1/L             => TUBE
ASIO 1/R             => FET
ASIO 1/Stereo     => <<hidden / disabled>>
ASIO 3/L             => DBLTUBE L
ASIO 3/R             => DBLTUBE R
ASIO 3/Stereo      => DBLTUBE Stereo
ASIO 5/L              => <<hidden / disabled>>
ASIO 5/R              => <<hidden / disabled>>
ASIO 5/Stereo      => EXT SYNTH

This would shorten the list of input channels considerably (currently with 30 IN channels I have 45 entries to browse through!)

Furthermore it would be good to remove the number of channels from the Device name listed in "Sync and Caching" as modern interfaces allow to changes the number of channels (thus, you lose the setting for manual offset, probably without noticing it unless you are aware of this pitfall). (moved to separate feature request)
post edited by Rob[at]Sound-Rehab - 2016/09/07 03:11:25

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 

2 Replies Related Threads

jimfogle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: Friendly names for Mono ASIO channels 2016/09/06 11:27:56 (permalink)
    I think the capability to have mono ASIO channel friendly names is useful from a housekeeping standpoint.

Rob(at)Sound-Rehab, I believe you should consider removing the third paragraph and submit the idea contained in the third paragraph separately.  Two ideas in one post makes it difficult, for me at least, to discuss ideas and impossible to vote on the merit of each idea.

Jim F
    Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
    Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
    Music Creator 6
    Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
    Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
    http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Friendly names for Mono ASIO channels 2016/09/07 02:51:52 (permalink)
    jimfogle
    I think the capability to have mono ASIO channel friendly names is useful from a housekeeping standpoint.

Rob(at)Sound-Rehab, I believe you should consider removing the third paragraph and submit the idea contained in the third paragraph separately.  Two ideas in one post makes it difficult, for me at least, to discuss ideas and impossible to vote on the merit of each idea.

thanks for your reply. I separated the requests into 2 threads and added more ideas to OP above

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1