2007/05/05 22:26:19 (permalink)

Front Vs Back mixing

Hey guys

I need help with the 3D dimension.

well...
the bass and kick should be at Center/front/bottom
lead vocal in Center/front/low mid - top
pads max stereo/back/low mid-mid

I need help with the other instruments like Synth, Hi Hats, other percussions, piano...etc

please help me m8s
post edited by DreamzCatcher - 2007/05/05 22:29:24

"Don't forget to imagine."
Intel 965P-DS4 F5, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300@1.86GHz (x2), 2,096,620 KB RAM. Cubase SX 4, SoundForge 9.. Dynaudio Acoustics & Adam A7..

7 Replies Related Threads

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Front Vs Back mixing 2007/05/05 23:34:12 (permalink)
    ok, well everyone knows what panning does....

top-bottom is essentially frequency. we perceive lower frequencies to be lower than higher frequencies. it helps that most speakers have the tweeter above the woofer but even with headphones it's the same. there's not much you can do about this but EQ.

the big one is front-back. basically what you want to do is give the illusion of space between the listener and the source. in the real world, two things happen as the source moves further away from the listener (unless we are talking a 1000 acre field in kansas, then it's just #1):

1. the fundamental and resonant frequencies of the source (those frequencies with the most energy) become dominant. for example on vocals you will not hear the breathy sound or the deep throaty scary movie voice-over tones, just the middle ranges. however bear in mind that we perceive higher ranges better than lower ones so the mids are typically more dominant over the lows.

you can use EQ to achieve this effect by high-passing the lows and low-passing the highs but give preference to the highs or you will get that "in-the-next-room" muddy hollow sound. use a very mild Q (like less than 1) to give a more natural sound or you'll end up going harsh with it which does not sound distant. you may need to dip somewhere in the middle to get a more realistic sound but once you know what to listen for you can experiment until you get it right.

2. the reflection of sound off surrounding objects becomes louder in relation to the source, until the reflection is all that is heard.

this is all reverb and delay, but remember #1 - you'll probably want to high and low-pass the verb too or you'll get muddy resonance (again, the "in-the-next-room" sound) or high-end metallic stuff. pre-delay for this is pretty important, the less pre-delay the further away the sound will seem. more pre-delay gives a fuller but still present sound. probably most importantly, if you go nuts with reverb no one will get it. you have to be subtle to achieve the effect so people don't know it's an effect. unless you want the whole marble cathedral-ish sound... =)

you can also chain delay and verb if you want a more precise pre-delay than what the verb plugin provides or even better you can make the left and right delays different times which will enhance the spatial effect (but don't overdo it).

- jack the ex-cynic
    DreamzCatcher
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Front Vs Back mixing 2007/05/06 00:20:21 (permalink)
    I control the 3D dimension perfectly...

what I need is references for starting point, where each instrument should be. (I'm not gonna follow the basics, but this could really help me)

hihats, drums, keys, pads, guitar, bass, flute...etc

I need a complete guide which I couldn't find anywhere >.>

Intel 965P-DS4 F5, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300@1.86GHz (x2), 2,096,620 KB RAM. Cubase SX 4, SoundForge 9.. Dynaudio Acoustics & Adam A7..
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Front Vs Back mixing 2007/05/06 12:27:16 (permalink)
    ok, i think i get your question...

in general you should have one lead instrument pretty up front. this could be a synth lead, or lead vocal or whatever. if you have a lead vocal then the synth leads should support the vocal by being further back - how far is really just a matter of taste. you probably want them in front of the pads but passing them back and forth depth-wise could be a cool effect.

hi-hats are generally further back from the front of the kit than cymbals although they typically have more presence in rock mixes. i suppose it depends on whether you want to mix from the band's perspective or the audience. if you plan to have a fast hi-hat groove it may be wise to lay off the verb so you don't muddy it up but you could still use EQ to send it further back.

most percussion stuff is fairly far back in the mix and off to the side. piano should probably be middle or more to the front depth-wise unless you want a lost-in-space sound. i think tons of reverb on piano is pretty cliche but that's just me. really i think tons of reverb on anything is cliche but everyone has their own tastes. in electronica i suppose a lot more emphasis is placed on 3-d depth.

really though there aren't any depth standards that i'm aware of beyond the basic 4/5-piece band (vocal, guitar/s, bass, drums) and it seems like you know most of that already.

- jack the ex-cynic
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: Front Vs Back mixing 2007/05/06 12:43:05 (permalink)
    Obviously no two drummers are going to set up exactly the same, no two rock bands exactlly the same
    It's all up to the producer's taste and the needs of the song but here are some sample floor plans:

DRUM SET (right handed drummer - stage perspective reverse for audience)

... crash1 ... splash ... crash2
    hat ... tom1... tom2 ... ride
    ... snare ... kik ... floortom

ROCK BAND

harmonies ... piano ... drums ... organ horn section
    ... ... guitar1 ... bass ... guitar 2
    ... ... leadvocal

ORCHESTRA

... ... tromb. tuba timpani percussion
    ... F. horns trumpets clarinets bassoon
    cellos ... ... oboes ... flutes ... ... ...... violas
    basses ... ... violin1 ... violin2 ... ... harps

ELECTRONICA

percussion pad1 drums pad2 percussion
    ... chords1 ... bass ... chords2
    ... ... lead1 ... lead2
    post edited by kayehl - 2007/05/07 02:22:50

I am not an expert
    DreamzCatcher
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Front Vs Back mixing 2007/05/20 23:20:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

ok, i think i get your question...

in general you should have one lead instrument pretty up front. this could be a synth lead, or lead vocal or whatever. if you have a lead vocal then the synth leads should support the vocal by being further back - how far is really just a matter of taste. you probably want them in front of the pads but passing them back and forth depth-wise could be a cool effect.

hi-hats are generally further back from the front of the kit than cymbals although they typically have more presence in rock mixes. i suppose it depends on whether you want to mix from the band's perspective or the audience. if you plan to have a fast hi-hat groove it may be wise to lay off the verb so you don't muddy it up but you could still use EQ to send it further back.

most percussion stuff is fairly far back in the mix and off to the side. piano should probably be middle or more to the front depth-wise unless you want a lost-in-space sound. i think tons of reverb on piano is pretty cliche but that's just me. really i think tons of reverb on anything is cliche but everyone has their own tastes. in electronica i suppose a lot more emphasis is placed on 3-d depth.

really though there aren't any depth standards that i'm aware of beyond the basic 4/5-piece band (vocal, guitar/s, bass, drums) and it seems like you know most of that already.

w0000t

thanks jack
    This is what I was looking for.

more ideas/tips on this matter will be great.

ps- sry for the late I had few shows in brazil

feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    RE: Front Vs Back mixing 2007/05/21 10:03:25 (permalink)
    I don't have too much to add here, but depending on the arrangement and type of song, I often use mix automation to move focus between the vocal and the guitar hook or fills. Usually I do this with faders but you also see examples of this done with panning (guitar intro to "the change will do you good" by sheryl crowe). Headphones are a great way to analyze panning in pro mixes, just don't try to mix your own stuff that way.
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Front Vs Back mixing 2007/05/21 21:01:43 (permalink)
    if you have some samples of arrangements i could probably be more precise - without that it's hard to be anything but general. i may have already said it but when it comes to bass instruments, i would roll off highs to simulate depth rather than adding reverb. i just think it sounds better. =)

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1