Helpful ReplyFrustrated With Moving DAWS

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
AdamGrossmanLG
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1436
2017/12/17 04:37:14 (permalink)

Frustrated With Moving DAWS

so i downloaded demos of every product and I know there is a learning curve, but:

A:  I don't feel like learning
B:  these products don't work like Sonar really.  The mouse movements, architecture, GUI, user interface.  Hell, even just splitting clips feels like a chore.   

Sonar shined when it came to usability, that's the one thing I will give it.   FRUSTRATED OVER HERE!!!
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/17 04:45:44 (permalink)
A. only option left on the table... 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/17 04:56:01 (permalink)
AdamGrossmanLG
...there is a learning curve, but:
...I don't feel like learning...
...feels like a chore... 

I can relate to that. I've got a trial copy of another DAW installed and I haven't got very far with it yet. I had a few spare hours yesterday, but I couldn't get motivated. I launched it and had a brief look, then moved on and worked on a Sonar project instead.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
LOSTinSWIRL
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 69
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/17 04:58:30 (permalink)
I feel your pain.
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/17 05:35:41 (permalink)

I was bummed as anyone when Cakewalk shut the doors, but I tried to be as positive as I could in the aftermath, and looked at testing other DAWs as an adventure and something new to try out. That worked for a while, and its been interesting touring the landscape, so to speak. I've learned some cool stuff, and I've come to appreciate that the other DAWs all have great features and real strengths. 

But the whole process began to really wear on me, and after two weeks of testing, I went back into Sonar and opened up a project I'd been working on for a few months, and realized just how much I missed it. I love Sonar, quirks and all. There is nothing quite like it. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/17 05:38:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kevmsmith81 2017/12/17 15:54:46
I try to separate learning-curve annoyances from assessing underlying functionality. If I don't know how to do something, I don't sweat it as long as I know the DAW is capable of doing that thing. Even if it's a clumsy procedure, you can get used to any idiosyncrasies over time.

That said, I still compare other DAWs' learning curves to my early experiences with SONAR. With SONAR, I recorded my first song on Day One. I'd recorded half a dozen tunes before I ever looked at any documentation. I used it for nearly a year before it occurred to me that there might be an online forum that I should check out. Figuring out all these other DAWs seems like a lot more work than I remember SONAR being.

Then again, I may just be mis-remembering. Back then it hadn't yet occurred to me that I might want to split a clip.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/17 07:00:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rimshot 2017/12/19 01:22:21
I think if Sonar was your first DAW, or at least the first one that you used seriously, then you had the advantage of not going in with any preconceptions about how things should work. You didn't have years or rote learning and muscle memory fighting against your endeavor to learn something new. And, of course, if you learned how to use Sonar 10 or 15 years ago, your brain was significantly younger! Going into a new DAW now, you have all of your experiences with Sonar interfering with the learning process. So whereas your initial experiences with Sonar might have been plain sailing, the sailing is unlikely to be as plain when you're diving into another DAW with all of your Sonar baggage poking and prodding you. 

It's also worth remembering that most of the world's music is not recorded with Sonar. In other words, your fellow hobbyists or engineering pros or whomever seem to be using these other DAWs with great success. My guess is that for everything you think is better or more convenient in Sonar, there'll be something in the new DAW that, given time, you'll come to find easier than in Sonar. You just haven't found those things yet. It's also worth remembering that users of other DAWs, if they happened to switch to Sonar, would probably think there was a whole bunch of stuff that was ass backwards compared to what they're used to. 

Give yourself some serious time for your brain to rewire. I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/17 08:21:48 (permalink)
I can feel for those that want a "secured" place where they can work without bumping into a new learning challenge. Been pressed to learn new things can disrupt the working flow, and slow down your production.

For myself, however, things are always "on the move". Music is not the only "discipline" I am working in. I also work with graphical art, especially with holographic 3D constructs (yes, I own an holographic vibrant-isolated workbench and a couple of lasers) and 3D printing. I own several DAW's (Ableton Live, FL-Studio, Cubase and Sonar) and use them not only for myself, but also for those that need some recording and (a bit of) mastering.

Needless to say my learning process is never "finished". I am always on the move, learning new techniques and looking out for new developments. It can be a bit overwhelming at times, and I am not getting any younger (I am 62 now), but I love to delve into new things and keep learning whatever I can.

As said, I can feel for those that feel forced to "jump ship" and feel pressed to learn a new DAW, but I do not think it is very handy to "lay all your eggs in one basket". For AdamGrossmanLG I would advise to alway have some knowledge for at least two DAW's. If something like Sonar happens to your new DAW, you always have a "backup plan". It is always a good idea to figure out how you can move projects from one DAW to another. I should advise to do that at least one time with a medium large project as "learning experience". Knowing how that must be done will make you feel more secure in case of calamities.
VinylJunkie
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 939
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/17 10:38:43 (permalink)
Also worth noting if you've used Sonar for a long time is that you've grown with it. That is learnt the basics and then got to grips with new features as the product developed. Which is not quite the same as learning a fully featured DAW in one go.

VJ
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/17 11:38:20 (permalink)
Yes, it's all about familiarity. Don't forget though, there are plenty of people who just couldn't get on with Sonar and others who jumped ship way before the Cakewalk closure. Sonar is what we got used to and now it's time to get used to something else.

I was going to get another DAW and learn it while I continued to work in Sonar. However, that plan changed because, in reality, the only way to learn another DAW is to use it full time and commit to it. That's what I have been doing with Samplitude. Since getting it I haven't touched Sonar. Launching Sonar now depresses me and I just don't see the point when I have something new that is still supported going forward.

I have now completed my first substantial project in Samplitude. The learning curve hasn't got in my way too much. I have almost certainly done some things wrong and missed out on using features that could have really helped or saved me time, just because I don't know about them yet and I have wanted to keep things flowing rather than spending too much time learning. I am now really enjoying Samplitude and I think in many ways it's better than Sonar. There are still some things I miss about Sonar.

I think the best advice is just to move on as soon as you can. You will never get on with a new DAW while you are still demoing it because you are not committed to it. Once you buy it the investment gives you the incentive to use it and learn it.

It is important to try the demos out though. Before the Samplitude crazy deal came along I bought Studio One. It wasn't really what I wanted but Cubase had a graphics issue running on my system and S1 seemed like the only option after trying out various demos. It was a waste of money. I hardly use it because Samplitude is just so much better for me. So test them out, then commit to the one that works best for you and which you enjoy the most, buy it and start using it and you will soon forget about Sonar.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/17 15:20:24 (permalink)
Here the same.
I have no time and no disire to learn a new DAW. Because we have to misuse a DAW for digitizing projects - not for make music. . 

We worked 15 years with over 10.000 projects with SONAR. I downloaded a lot of DAW-Demos and we have decided to go with Cubase Pro. All other DAWs are not suitable for digitizing and restoring analog audio.
Our problem is, that we have projects with 18 months of working hours and some customers have subsequent changes (for 2 years) after the work is finished. So we must use SONAR parallel to Cubase at least for 3 years.
I start a migration of Cubase an Januar 2018.
We open a bottle of champagne if someone saves Cakewalk.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/17 16:00:39 (permalink)
I did a session this week (about 20 hours) and every once in a while I would stop and say...
"How could this product not be making money" ? Its just amazing the things it can do.
I know other DAWS can do similar things but Sonar is a great DAW. I enjoy using it.
Sad state of affairs. Oh well im sure when I plant a new DAW seed I will be finding the same joy some day.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

jpbanksjr
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/17 19:33:12 (permalink)
About a year ago I decided to try the Cubase 9 demo and at first, I didn't care for it but I kept trying it and eventually it won me over.  One of the things I fell in love with was the "re-record" feature.  If I made a gross mistake recording a midi track in Sonar I'd have to stop, delete the recording, back up and start again.  In Cubase, it's just the press of a button and I'm laying down the take again.  I know it sounds trivial, but it really has made a difference in my music making process.

Of course, there are other things that Sonar was superior at such as bouncing tracks to audio.  But as others have stated, once you purchase a new DAW (making a commitment), the learning curve really isn't that bad.  Whether you stay with Sonar or move on to another DAW I wish you all continued success in your music creating endeavors.

JP
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/17 20:58:54 (permalink)
Sonar is still working fine. If we get a stable set of installation media I hope to use it for many years.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
abacab
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/18 00:10:29 (permalink)
ampfixer
Sonar is still working fine. If we get a stable set of installation media I hope to use it for many years.

Still running Cakewalk Project 5 and Sonar X3 (32-bit) side by side with Splat. 

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/18 03:44:20 (permalink)
AdamGrossmanLG
so i downloaded demos of every product and I know there is a learning curve, but:

A:  I don't feel like learning
B:  these products don't work like Sonar really.  The mouse movements, architecture, GUI, user interface.  Hell, even just splitting clips feels like a chore.   

Sonar shined when it came to usability, that's the one thing I will give it.   FRUSTRATED OVER HERE!!!

I can understand your frustration, but hang in there. I know some programs allow you to customize shortcuts, so you can easily create some familiarity. Some features will actually be an improvement. Hitting D to duplicate is lightning fast and intuitive once you adjust. You got this!
bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/18 14:36:10 (permalink)
The learning curve, I think, isn't so much of an issue as the UNlearning curve.

Byron Dickens
thepianist65
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 644
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/18 16:48:59 (permalink)
I can relate to this. I bought Studio One and spent a week or two just using it, reading documentation, watching videos, and just plain experimenting. Just started to feel like I was "getting" it, and it would do what I needed it to do without much fuss. Then a few days without doing anything, and I started to record a new project, using SO3, and got frustrated within a few minutes!  For whatever reason, I have been using Sonar exclusively since the 90's, and I just know for the most part how it works the way I need it to. So I went back to Sonar to do this particular song and it was like night and day to me. I know it's just a question of familiarity, but really, should it be this hard to learn something new?  I'm old, but I ain't senile (hmm, ok, maybe I'm forgetting something...). Anyway, I know I have to stick to it, but I'm basically too lazy and when I'm in a hurry, it's Sonar or nothing. 

www.davemaffris.com
 BLUES:
https://www.facebook.com/coastalblueband1/

https://www.facebook.com/Midiexpert/?ref=hl
Please feel free to check out my music, all made with Cakewalk, available on itunes, Amazon, Google, Rdio, etc., etc.
For mostly jazzy stuff on Soundcloud at these locations:
https://soundcloud.com/dave-maffris
or for some different styles of music(pop/rock/covers):
https://soundcloud.com/dmpianoman
Tidewater Jazz page:
https://soundcloud.com/user-84355115

cool
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 95
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/18 17:08:08 (permalink)
The first thing I did when I ran the Reaper was put ALL hotkeys like in Sonar. Including navigation and mouse actions. With this, learning the program is much easier. But not all programs are so flexible in the customization of keys and mouse, unfortunately.

English is not my native language. Apologize for any mistakes in the text.
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/18 17:35:29 (permalink)
bitflipper
I try to separate learning-curve annoyances from assessing underlying functionality. If I don't know how to do something, I don't sweat it as long as I know the DAW is capable of doing that thing. Even if it's a clumsy procedure, you can get used to any idiosyncrasies over time.

^^^^^^^
This.

I did not sweat too much with demos and decided to get Cubase on the cross-grade offer because it looked like the best option for my needs. I know it will be able to do everything I want when I eventually find my way around. I am not in a big rush, I doubt Sonar is going to fail me for some time yet. I am just starting to run through the Groove 3 videos and get a feel for the way it works while continuing to work in Sonar. There are some nice MIDI functions I am looking forward to using.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
wdaweb
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/18 17:42:05 (permalink)
In my opinion, the other thing Sonar had/has going for it was that they made it so easy for you figure stuff out. It was easy to learn and intuitive. As a former software developer, we spent a lot of time trying to design software that would be easy to figure out without spending much time reading a manual. Sonar was well designed in this respect.
thepianist65
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 644
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/18 18:18:33 (permalink)
Plus, I think the fact that Sonar/Cakewalk was designed for non-Mac users only, means that people were already used to the way it worked, because it worked like Windows. Now that I also own a Mac, I can see how other Daw's that are cross-platform have borrowed from the Mac's style (more hotkey combinations, less clicking, etc.) for their functions. 

www.davemaffris.com
 BLUES:
https://www.facebook.com/coastalblueband1/

https://www.facebook.com/Midiexpert/?ref=hl
Please feel free to check out my music, all made with Cakewalk, available on itunes, Amazon, Google, Rdio, etc., etc.
For mostly jazzy stuff on Soundcloud at these locations:
https://soundcloud.com/dave-maffris
or for some different styles of music(pop/rock/covers):
https://soundcloud.com/dmpianoman
Tidewater Jazz page:
https://soundcloud.com/user-84355115

Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/18 21:39:55 (permalink)
wdaweb

In my opinion, the other thing Sonar had/has going for it was that they made it so easy for you figure stuff out. It was easy to learn and intuitive. As a former software developer, we spent a lot of time trying to design software that would be easy to figure out without spending much time reading a manual. Sonar was well designed in this respect.

Indeed. I found Sonar to be very intuitive and I made rapid progress on my first day with it. I found that could guess how to do something and I was usually correct. I have not had any similar experience with any other DAW software that I have tried out.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/18 22:28:48 (permalink)
I think my age / reeling in the years is starting to come into play here ...
Knowing it can be done even if I have to learn how to do it seems like an OK consolation as to a place to be in ...
Yet too me it still feels like a purgatory of sorts ...
I just get glazed over and I loose interest pretty fast when I have to fight tooth and nail just to be able to accomplish small tasks that I took for granted ...
The only way I'm getting through this whole learning new stuff process is to work both sides equally ...

With all the new  multiple DAW / App's learning curves  , it seems I'm not even close to being the Hare so I have accepted the painful reality of knowing at best  I'm just plugging along as the Tortoise .
I'm somewhat OK w that on a conceptual level but I do know it does take a whole lot of work to go from talking the talk to walking the walk ...even as a Tortoise ...
To offset that and to create balance in my musical life I had to put the brakes on things and I decided to figure out a way to still enjoy my Music ...
I wound up pulling out my classical guitar , slapping on a head-stock tuner and I started playing and practicing on it again ... 
My reason is using an acoustic nylon string is the total complete opposite of using a computer and a DAW ...
The levels of complexities that arises while using a DAW especially a new one to me while trying to Create what ever my supposed Musical Utopia is in my imagination involves using technology that has been way too much of a strain for my two working brain cells to comprehend fully w ease . 
OTOH , sitting down to play an organic acoustic instrument w out distraction has helped me find a center and a level of peace ...at the very least , my time on the computer and u tube is not eating up all my musical play time

This approach for me is sort of like trying to work both The Yin & The Yang of it all equally at the same time ...

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

TheWholeDamnZoo
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/18 23:02:05 (permalink)
It sucks to have to learn a new DAW but I feel that once you've mastered one DAW reading the manual of a new DAW is fairly quick and saves you a lot of time and headaches.
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/19 00:46:56 (permalink)
You guys need to pick up the banjo after playing guitar for 40 years and then listen to that teenager who has veen playing bluegrass for a short 5 years
Talk about frustration

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/19 01:36:12 (permalink)
I had years with Sonar and years now with S1. S1 behaves so much better on my PC for some reason. 
The learning curve was not bad at all. I am fully entrenched with it now. 
For someone saying it was hard to split audio, it is just a double-click on where you want the split!
Lots of miss-information with comments like that. 

For those of you frustrated about learning something new, I sympathize with you for sure. Who would have predicted this mess? But life goes on and you will to with whatever DAW you seem to gravitate to. 
Life is a bowl of cherries...
Personally, I would definitely find another DAW to at least convert what you need to while you figure out the future. No one really knows how long you can depend on Sonar with Window's updates and driver changes. That's a gamble any way you look at it IMO.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/19 02:53:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/12/19 03:29:31
mixmkr
You guys need to pick up the banjo after playing guitar for 40 years and then listen to that teenager who has veen playing bluegrass for a short 5 years
Talk about frustration

Well if we are strictly talking playing here , I have a short cure for that one 
I have been playing the guitar for well over 50 + years . In that time ,  I have had all kinds of players coming at me with all kinds of fret board gymnastics and playing styles ...
Dudes tapping out Mozart , shredders setting and breaking the world speed records , Acoustic guitar players that can not only play a song but while they are playing it they can tap out better drum and percussion part than Tito Puente himself .
I 've ran across Dudes that think they are Tommy  Emmaunual the second  or even guys that are convinced they are the long lost son of Joe Pass  ... Bluegrass meh I like it but it ain't No Trad Bebop ...

I have found the easiest way to stop all of them dudes dead in their tracks is to say Alright Man that was great ..
Can we now play it again in the key of A b , how's about Bb , E b ? , or can we just try C# Major ....
That will stop 99% of them all dead in their tracks ...works every time ....
For the other 1 %  all you have to do is hand them the written score in one key and ask them to transpose it on the fly as they are sight reading it 
When my guitar chops are up I can do what I just said ....

Don't mind me ...I'm just feeling old and stupid having to start all over w a different DAW ...

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

abacab
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/19 03:40:15 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

I have found the easiest way to stop all of them dudes dead in their tracks is to say Alright Man that was great ..
Can we now play it again in the key of A b , how's about Bb , E b ? , or can we just try C# Major ....
For the other 1 %  all you have to do is hand them the written score in one key and ask them to transpose it on the fly as they are sight reading it 

Don't mind me ...I'm just feeling old and stupid having to start all over w a different DAW ...

Kenny

That reminds me of a band director in junior high school that used to give me detention for talking in band class, on a pretense to tutor me in the fine arts of music theory...  bless his heart! 

He told me in after hours lessons, that if I learned and practiced the scales in the circle of fifths, that there would never be a sheet of music put in front of me that I couldn't play on sight.  I'm still practicing, LOL! 

mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: Frustrated With Moving DAWS 2017/12/19 04:37:57 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
mixmkr
Talk about frustration

Well if we are strictly talking playing here , I have a short cure for that one 
I have been playing the guitar for well over 50 + years . In that time ,  I have had all kinds of players coming at me with all kinds of fret board gymnastics and playing styles ...
Dudes tapping out Mozart , shredders setting and breaking the world speed records , Acoustic guitar players that can not only play a song but while they are playing it they can tap out better drum and percussion part than Tito Puente himself .
I 've ran across Dudes that think they are Tommy  Emmaunual the second  or even guys that are convinced they are the long lost son of Joe Pass  ... Bluegrass meh I like it but it ain't No Trad Bebop ...

Kenny

I understand. Im a '82 graduate of Berklee and saw many different versions of the described...but sitting in the hallways waiting for class. That was 35 years ago and I might suspect the popularity of chops may not be the same nowadays....but with some...I'm sure I'm wrong (with the cut and paste musicians seeming so popular today).
Take a listen to Bela Fleck if you haven't already. He's a couple of stages past "Cripple Creek"!!

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1