Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW

Author
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
2008/05/14 11:20:27 (permalink)

Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW

Finally after a lot of mixing, Mark and I are ready to solicit some feedback.

I wrote and recorded this song originally a couple of years ago. It started out as a tango and then I started getting a little funky with it and it evolved in another direction so I called it Funango which is a concatenation of Funky + Tango.

I wanted to redo the song for the new CD and was anxious to get Mark's take on it. We swapped lines and ideas back and forth and finally got this end product together. It certainly has evolved again.

There are 7 guitar tracks
A bass track
A keyboard track
A conga track (of course)
and a drum track.

The song takes off on a quick paced groove but it builds to crescendo that I just love. I hope you like this wild ride, and while we are pretty pleased with it we appreciate and seek your mix comments. Enjoy.

FUNANGO

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=582907

Daryl & Mark

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/

20 Replies Related Threads

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/14 11:52:13 (permalink)
    Fun song in the Santana style.

My only crit is a few of the guitar parts seem a but cloudy. They are not as clear as other parts of the track. This song is begging for vocals.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/14 12:01:02 (permalink)
    Sheesh, this is scary good! Awesome playing here guys, with some very tasty lines. It's not often I hear a 5 minute song, and wish it was longer, but I did with this one. Count me in, when the CD comes out. Great stuff.

Randy

p.s. I think the guitars do all the singing on this, no vocals needed in my humble opinion.

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/14 15:16:28 (permalink)
    I listened to this on the phones, stopped the song mid-way,flipped on the monitors, restarted the song cranked up, and just sat back and enjoyed the fire-works display! Amazing fretwork fellas. Nice solid octave section and a variety of leadwork that made this tune exciting so I couldn't just sit still. As Randy stated, this song went by fast. Since you asked for mix comments, there are certain areas where the guitars need a little seperation in the mix for better definition, but I think you'll figure that one out. ( I hate commenting on mixes, so please ignore me as I'm no engineer with golden ears) Upon a 2nd listen, I love hearing all the intricacies that I missed first time around. Who do I sacrifice the goats & sheep to first?? More please.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/14 15:22:21 (permalink)
    More tasty licks.....good job. Just hate that I was listening on computer speakers.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/14 19:18:04 (permalink)
    well done fellas.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/14 21:10:31 (permalink)
    Listened on some better speakers....actually some noise cancelling buds....these buds rock...so does the tune. Even better now that I'm hearing it all. Nice energy level in the song all the way through..... nice trading of licks there too.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Rockin
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/14 21:35:12 (permalink)
    7 guitars! WOW!

And I'm lovin ALL 7 OF THEM!! :-)

As soon as this kicked in, I started rockin back and fourth to the beat (in my lazyboy rocking recliner).

I have nothing but good things to say about this.

1. Really excellent guitar work.

2. Really excellent guitar harmonies.

3. Really excellent counter point.

4. Really excellent tones.

5. Really excellent melodies

6. And the congas? OH GOD the congas! LOL!

If I could make one comment, or recommendation? It would be MORE COWBELL!!

I got an Outlaws vibe on some of the guitars harmony parts? But not overall obviously. This piece moves, it speaks, it sings. And in a word? It's "really excellent!"

Very nicely done :-)

Walk Hard...

There is no meditation without wisdom, and there is no wisdom without meditation. When a man has both meditation and wisdom, he is indeed close to nirvana.

Buddha (563 - 483 BC)
    darylcrowley
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/15 09:12:03 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone. I know I'm pretty pleased with it overall. I think I will play with get panning a little before final burn to the CD but I've got to listen to it for awhile. I've heard this a zillion times now and I still am enjoying it. Mark is a great guy to work with and he seems to have a great sense of where I want to take a tune so it makes it easy to work with him. I'm really glad you enjoyed this, I wrote this tune almost 3 years ago and it's evolved very nicely.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/15 09:39:14 (permalink)
    Wow! This is great you guys! Awesome stuff here. Really enjoyed that!
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/15 20:42:11 (permalink)
    Thanks everybody for the compliments. As usual it was a great pleasure and priviledge to work on this tune with Daryl. His jazz stylings and my frontal rock assault seem like a mismatch but always result in some incredible music. We have another in the works which is already shaping up nicely.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/16 12:14:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: marcos69

As usual it was a great pleasure and priviledge to work on this tune with Daryl. His jazz stylings and my frontal rock assault seem like a mismatch but always result in some incredible music.

They do indeed!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/16 13:34:49 (permalink)

Git-Bum and Mark,

I’m kind of out of my element with this material, but not so out of it that I can’t appreciate the excellent playing and structure. I’ve done some listening this morning and once again I am amazed at the level of musicianship I hear on some of these tracks. This was a real fun listen and a reminder that although this may be a “just Sonar forum”, there is some really fine music to be heard around here. Great job – all the players should take a bow.
    darylcrowley
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/16 16:37:39 (permalink)
    Manny - Thanks. Yes there are some great guys and gals on this site, from the serious hobbyist to the retired professionals. Glad you like it.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/17 00:31:16 (permalink)
    Guitar bonanza! Your styles are distinctly different but complement each other very well. I agree that some of hte guitar is a little murky to my ears, but I've listened to Mark enough to know that that particular muted tone is part of his signature sound. In any event the playing is superb. I really enjoy Mark's fluid style of playing, reminds me of Denny Diaz. The harmony guitar grabbed me. Daryl, I like your way with octaves. This is really funky, layered funky. Great work, fellas. A good mix too, good percussion track. And the bass keeps pace, which ain't easy.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/17 13:24:00 (permalink)
    Wow and wow again. Great work gentlemen, like you said Mark you and Daryl's styles are different but you complement each other very well. Excellent craftsmanship. Ferocious chops. On my system the bass seems huge and kind of swamps the lower end of the mix - but my room is not tuned/treated or anything so grain of salt and all that. Nice touch with the congas at the ending. Great work guys.
    marcos69
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/17 18:26:19 (permalink)
    Thanks Manny, Mark and Bill.

Love the avatar your using these days Bill!

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/18 06:48:03 (permalink)
    Nice stuff, doesn't get boring at all, and for a simple tune that's a strong point. Endless jamming material. Love the muted, even growling stuff at times, too. Not 'too' jazzy, that's cool.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/19 12:43:57 (permalink)
    fun stuff brudda's!!...enjoyed the song very much

keep rockin
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/19 14:35:23 (permalink)
    Yep this is quite a ride indeed! This is the kind of song that if I wrote it I would run out of ideas after about 1 minute, so it's amazing to me how the tune keeps developing. Quite a mixing challenge, I'm sure, but you pulled it off nicely I think. Nice composition, great playing. Congrats to both of you on a fine piece of work!

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    marcos69
    RE: Funango - Guitar Bum and Mark Wessels - NEW 2008/05/20 15:34:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Nice stuff, doesn't get boring at all, and for a simple tune that's a strong point. Endless jamming material. Love the muted, even growling stuff at times, too. Not 'too' jazzy, that's cool.

Thanks for the comments.

ORIGINAL: thepogue

fun stuff brudda's!!...enjoyed the song very much

keep rockin

Thanks,

We shall keep rockin'.

ORIGINAL: dlogan

Yep this is quite a ride indeed! This is the kind of song that if I wrote it I would run out of ideas after about 1 minute, so it's amazing to me how the tune keeps developing. Quite a mixing challenge, I'm sure, but you pulled it off nicely I think. Nice composition, great playing. Congrats to both of you on a fine piece of work!

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone

Thanks Dave, glad you liked it.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1