Fussy PC won't recognize audio input - help please!

Author
dleone
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2009/03/06 12:35:03 (permalink)

Fussy PC won't recognize audio input - help please!

Hi Folks! :) Let's get the specs out of the way first thing:

I use Windows XP
AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3200+
2.20 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM
SB Live! 24 soundcard
MC4

OK, here is what has been going on: my pc is doesn't seem to always recognize that there is something plugged into the soundcard input! I have gotten it to work on occasion, after changing every setting I could find, restarting MC4, restarting my audio devices (I use both an Ensoniq VFX-sd and a Roland D-50.....yes I'm old school hahaha,) and sometimes even restarting Windows. Then, every once in a while, the sound will miraculously appear! I know MC4 works (and when it does I love it!) I know SB is working - I run the driver diagnostics and they are fine, and I can hear previously recorded material. My cords are brand new and connected correctly. I have read and reread the manuals for everything to no avail. This is so frustrating not to know exactly which settings are right....I'm losing valuable recording/writing time because it takes me an hour or more (if I last that long) of fiddling with everything just to get a simple signal coming in :/ Anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong? Could it be the physical connection, like the little input jack is bad? I greatly appreciate any and all help you can give! :)

8 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Fussy PC won't recognize audio input - help please! 2009/03/06 12:40:49 (permalink)
    edit
    post edited by Beagle - 2009/03/06 12:41:13

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Beagle
    RE: Fussy PC won't recognize audio input - help please! 2009/03/06 12:45:24 (permalink)
    hello, dleone,
    you've got some confusion to clear up first,
    there's no recognition of anything being plugged into the input - there's only inputs avaialable by the soundcard via windows drivers picked up by MC.
    also, the Ensoniq VFX-sd and a Roland D-50 are both synths, resetting them has nothing to do with MC picking them up as inputs on the soundcard.

so I'm guessing that you're having problems with your soundcard input on an audio track and that sometimes there's nothing there to select. if this is an incorrect assumption, you'll need to provide more detail on what you're problem is.

on that assumption, since you're using a SB soundcard, and I assume you've not changed your driver mode from the default (WDM), then I'd suggest first to change to ASIO driver mode and see if that works. OPTIONS>AUDIO>ADVANCED>DRIVER MODE = ASIO
    then close and restart MC

if that doesn't solve the problem, then download and install ASIO4ALL (google it). then restart MC again, then go toOPTIONS>AUDIO>DRIVERS and change the INPUT and OUTPUT drivers to the ASIO4ALL SB drivers. if that doesn't help, please provide more detail on exactly what you're doing and what the problem is.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Fussy PC won't recognize audio input - help please! 2009/03/06 13:22:35 (permalink)
    Sound Blaster..... !!!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    shredder000
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Fussy PC won't recognize audio input - help please! 2009/03/06 14:15:28 (permalink)
    i just gave one away yesterday,heh
    dleone
    RE: Fussy PC won't recognize audio input - help please! 2009/03/06 15:42:10 (permalink)
    Weee! Well, after more fiddling, I downloaded ASIO and it seemed to have fixed the problem (so far! I'll let you know if the gremlin returns ;) ) Thank you so much Mr. Beagle! :D

(Mock not my Soundblaster.....when I am rich I'll have one of you nice gentlemen design my system for optimal performance! )
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Fussy PC won't recognize audio input - help please! 2009/03/06 16:41:04 (permalink)
    Hey sound blaster will work, ya just gotta set them up right.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    dleone
    RE: Fussy PC won't recognize audio input - help please! 2009/03/09 11:02:35 (permalink)
    *sighs* The gremlin returned OK, so here is what is happening......I get everything set just the way I had it on Friday after I downloaded and installed ASIO - only this morning we are back to no sound coming from my keyboard into MC4, or anywhere else in my pc for that matter. I ran the Creative Diagnostic and everything passed except Wave Driver, which is says it can't fix and I have to reinstall SB! Instead, I close everything, and the Wave Driver passes the diagnostic test . Could this be the problem, like it's some conflict in the software somewhere? What other info can I give you this time to try and find the solution to this? Yes, the drivers for input and output, as well as the driver mode, are all set to ASIO. Thanks in advance!
    Beagle
    RE: Fussy PC won't recognize audio input - help please! 2009/03/09 11:25:54 (permalink)
    start a new project, import an mp3 or wave file - any will do. press play and see if it plays correctly.

I don't know anything about the wave driver for SB. but I suspect you may have a bad input jack or something wrong with the SB card.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1