Future of P5, what about Cake's future?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
kb420
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1839
2008/05/16 07:17:46 (permalink)

Future of P5, what about Cake's future?

There has been quite a bit of concern over P5's future discussed on this forum.

Take a look at what's being discussed over at Sonar's forum.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1387657

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-

82 Replies Related Threads

wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 08:36:23 (permalink)

1st I don't think that 60% figure for Roland's share of Cakewalk is correct. I thought Hedershot made it clear in his response way back when that Roland did not acquire controlling interest -- but it's not like facts or statements are ever going to settle that debate.

I'm not sure everyone is aware of this, but it's likely the US economy is in a recession. Every week I hear people setting new records for how much it cost to fill their gas tank. Where I work a whole division -- research, development manufacture and sales -- is being moved to Singapore. People around me are losing their jobs -- some have been here over 10 years.
    Personally I think Cakewalk and P5 will survive, but I don't know. Without that listening post at the Dunkin Donuts in the lobby, people just fill in the silence with their projections.
    It's just human nature to speculate on things like this, but if every other aspect of one's life is so secure and controlled that this sort of discussion is vital, I'd say that's a very fortunate person.
    post edited by wrench45us - 2008/05/16 08:37:15

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 11:08:36 (permalink)
    Leaving the US ecomony alone, I can understand Cake's reasoning for joining with Roland. They already had a relationship with Roland and used them to distribute internationally (and expensive proposition). The Roland buyout has never been properly explained - did they buy into Cakewalk separate from 12 tone or what? There is a majority of something, but that has never been explicated. But Roland obviously brings money and clout, which is a good thing. And Roland is good with hardware, while Cake has always been software (except for some partnering and badging). It seems like a good match marrying Cake's expertice and Roland's money and presence. If they can combine soft and hardware they would have a very nice package. Of course, that waits to be seen (there are more ways to screw it up than succeed). If nothing else, SONAR will continue.

As far as P5, it has always been the red-headed stepchild. A lot of the nice stuff in P5 has migrated over to SONAR (like Midi, which is bundeled as MIdi, audio and header tracks, like the single P5 midi tracks) and the inclusion of more synths. Not too much has gone the other way - back to P5. I don't know nothing about coding, but from what I understand their are two different engine which (I would think) would make it hard to integrate them. As far as marketing, I'd be scratching my head trying to differentiate the two products and sell them both. I think Cake was trying to catch the "live" crowd with P5 rather than the recording crowd, and that is what I'd still try to do - performance. ANd P5 still has the edge in browser usage and midi/audio clips. But performance software is a subset of an already small bit of the software world, so I don't know how much money Cake by Roland wants to dump into it. Cake has said intimated there will be a P3, but whether Roland will back it is another thing.

I'd love to see a P3 that included many of the things we've asked for. I'd love for it to remain a different product, but also be integrated into SONAR (better than rewired) as the performance aspect of the software. The play part of SONAR you could record, but also take on stage as a streamlined kit. That would kill two birds with one stone - a reason to buy it and SONAR. But that is all speculation on my part. It is fun, tho.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    kb420
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 12:33:22 (permalink)
    There simply hasn't been much feedback here at all. Cakewalk has been actively involved over at the Sonar forum, but this forum has been grossly neglected. The only involvement in recent months here by Cakewalk was them shutting down a thread or two.

To be honest, if Cakewalk plans to market P5 against other software programs in the hopes of stealing customers to create a new user base, exactly who would they be marketing to? What programs would they attempt to side step? I don't really see how anyone could say that P5 is going after Live or Reason, as, in my opinion, they are all completely different animals.

So where exactly does P5 fit in?

There's no question about where Sonar fits in, but P5...........................

I don't know anymore!
    post edited by kb420 - 2008/05/16 12:34:20

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 12:44:04 (permalink)
    My point, exactly.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Markus Copol
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 691
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 12:47:59 (permalink)
    Silence is an answer by the way !
    wrench45us
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 12:58:46 (permalink)

for only in silence do all possibilities abide, equal and undeterred

kb420
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 13:10:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wrench45us

That's profound and all of that, but silence at this point is not a good thing at all.

Cakewalk promised P5 users another update before the end of the year 2007. We're nearly 6 months into 2008, and no word at all from Cakewalk.

There's nothing profound about this situation at all. They didn't deliver by the date that they, and no one else set. It's been 6 months with no word, and still no delivery.

That's not profound.

That's just bad business.
    post edited by kb420 - 2008/05/16 13:12:07

-Craig Anderton-
    Markus Copol
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 13:10:55 (permalink)

Silence carries the uncertinty. I would asume more negative response than positive ?
    post edited by Markus Copol - 2008/05/16 13:11:58
    Markus Copol
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 13:21:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kb420

That's profound and all of that, but silence at this point is not a good thing at all.

Cakewalk promised P5 users another update before the end of the year 2007. We're nearly 6 months into 2008, and no word at all from Cakewalk.

There's nothing profound about this situation at all. They didn't deliver by the date that they, and no one else set. It's been 6 months with no word, and still no delivery.

That's not profound.

not to be pain haha but

The most profound statements are often said in silence.
    Josh Billings

pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 13:25:44 (permalink)
    speculation is nine tenths of the law

list of stuff
    wrench45us
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 13:28:29 (permalink)

no argument to that
    It's likely those at Cakewalk would agree
    no P5 update, no NAMM anticpated super-synth

it's not entirely accurate to say 'no word' in all that time
    there were a few brief messages that one could interpret that P5 was still on their agenda/schedule

but certainly no action in the way of product release

but I would assume that whatever is going on in the building on Summer street will come to light sooner or later
    and what we say here won't speed that along

"one way or another, this darkness has got to give."

kb420
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 13:55:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Markus Copol

That's not profound.

not to be pain haha but

The most profound statements are often said in silence.
    Josh Billings

I've got one for you. Since they are the ones that set their delivery date.

"He who hesitates is Lost!"

-Craig Anderton-
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 14:09:18 (permalink)
    The market for P5 has changed a lot of late...3 things which come to mind>

apple inbuilt sequencer , sequel and reaper to name but 3.

there is no point to unveil something at NAMM etc as most music companies are playing hop scotch with each other , trying to better a rival product.

only the bakers know what's going on and what's being planned, and like every other company will wait till the very last minute to show it. Everything takes a while to develop/test also. (alpha.. beta.. etc)

Markus Copol
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 14:15:02 (permalink)
    to chime in a little. Not to say that it has to do with it in any way.

But, when you hear about a super synth as the anticipated Omnisphere for example and the technology it brings ," it sure forces everybody to get back to the drawing board" IMOO

post edited by Markus Copol - 2008/05/16 14:35:20
    pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 14:15:35 (permalink)
    why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

list of stuff
    kb420
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 14:23:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pwal

why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Craig Anderton-
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 14:25:44 (permalink)
    "You must have faith, Saavik"
    "Faith, sir?"
    "...that the universe will unfold as it should."

And that fulfills both my geek and my fanboy quotients for the day.

kb420
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 14:33:57 (permalink)
    The Undiscovered Country.

That was Spock's (Leonard Nimoy) line to Valeris (Kim Catrall), not Saavik.

Saavik was originally played by Kirsty Alley in "The Wraith of Khan".

-Craig Anderton-
    agincourtdb
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 14:45:59 (permalink)

Ahhh, you got me. Silly mistake to make. But I'll leave it so the following posts make sense.

plectrumpusher
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 17:21:04 (permalink)

Wheeww ,
    That was a close one!! Gotta keep that stuff straight !!! Nice!!

If P5 Doesn't become Dual core capable soon , then we have are answer , everyone else has it done now.

If you haven't got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart.......Then you are just an old sour fart!!
    agincourtdb
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 17:26:18 (permalink)
    I think it's fairly certain that multicore support will be in 3.0. As soon as it does, I'll be dropping a Phenom in this motherboard. (can't do it now, as I'd be going from a 3.0ghz to a 2.4 or 2.5, since P5 can only use one core.)

kb420
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 17:36:16 (permalink)
    "taH pagh taHbe"

-General Chang-

"To be or not to be", that is the question that preoccupies all P5 users.

You haven't enjoyed Shakespeare until you've read it in it's original Klingon!

post edited by kb420 - 2008/05/16 17:56:09

-Craig Anderton-
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 18:30:01 (permalink)
    to no one in particular
    i speculate that the world as we know it will end before p5 v3.0 <g> let's face it nuclear war is the only thing that will mutate homo sapiens to the newman. and there are many intent on seeing it a reality. they are all being voted into public service here in the usa. all is the key. elsewhere i'm speculating too. as long as sheep believe the enemy is something tangible and not the dinosaur all is probably lost. dinosaurs like sheep they are easy to herd.
    Greg said "Although Roland now owns a bigger share of Cakewalk, they didn't acquire the whole company. " he probably said some other things too. does it mean what it appears to mean? no yes <g>
    the analyst said "Electronic instrument maker Roland, a longtime Twelve Tone partner, acquired a majority stake in the company in 2008." it doesn't mean what it appears to mean but who cares...
    let's speculate. is cakewalk a direct subsidiary or an indirect subsidiary. <g> there is a difference. or no subsidiary at all. well the answer is staring us in the face. <g>
    can the few move a dinosaur. dinosaurs create much more mayhem than the perceived delay of a software application, if in deed it is delayed. <g>
    no one has denied that the dinosaur deserves greater rights than the homo sapiens for almost 100 years. i doubt the dinosaurs will be moved to do our bidding anytime soon. all in good time. keep the faith.
    roland is a domesticated dinosaur it just got hungry it has a full stomach for now. for the most part things are okay well until the sony or yamaha dinosaurs decides they are hungry again. <g>
    pick up the phone and ask for greg then ask yer questions. everybody on wall street knows the score. why don’t we? hehe <g>

DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 19:08:21 (permalink)

Just doesn't make any frakin sense.

It's over when the old man says it's over.

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    agincourtdb
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 19:11:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DayDrumFour

Just doesn't make any frakin sense.

It's over when the old man says it's over.

geez, you could at least post a picture of Six. Then at least we'd have something nice to look at.

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 19:18:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rabeach

to no one in particular
    i speculate that the world as we know it will end before p5 v3.0 <g> let's face it nuclear war is the only thing that will mutate homo sapiens to the newman. and there are many intent on seeing it a reality. they are all being voted into public service here in the usa. all is the key. elsewhere i'm speculating too. as long as sheep believe the enemy is something tangible and not the dinosaur all is probably lost. dinosaurs like sheep they are easy to herd.
    Greg said "Although Roland now owns a bigger share of Cakewalk, they didn't acquire the whole company. " he probably said some other things too. does it mean what it appears to mean? no yes <g>
    the analyst said "Electronic instrument maker Roland, a longtime Twelve Tone partner, acquired a majority stake in the company in 2008." it doesn't mean what it appears to mean but who cares...
    let's speculate. is cakewalk a direct subsidiary or an indirect subsidiary. <g> there is a difference. or no subsidiary at all. well the answer is staring us in the face. <g>
    can the few move a dinosaur. dinosaurs create much more mayhem than the perceived delay of a software application, if in deed it is delayed. <g>
    no one has denied that the dinosaur deserves greater rights than the homo sapiens for almost 100 years. i doubt the dinosaurs will be moved to do our bidding anytime soon. all in good time. keep the faith.
    roland is a domesticated dinosaur it just got hungry it has a full stomach for now. for the most part things are okay well until the sony or yamaha dinosaurs decides they are hungry again. <g>
    pick up the phone and ask for greg then ask yer questions. everybody on wall street knows the score. why don’t we? hehe <g>

You lost me at "...speculate..."

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

kb420
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 19:29:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: agincourtdb
    geez, you could at least post a picture of Six. Then at least we'd have something nice to look at.

You ask for it, you got it!

Didn't this type of behavior get the last thread locked?????

-Craig Anderton-
    agincourtdb
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 19:49:08 (permalink)
    *sigh*... she can obliterate my planet any day.

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Future of P5, what about Cake's future? 2008/05/16 22:41:16 (permalink)
    *screams* The trekkies are here and they're taking over!!

Forget about P5's and Cakewalk's future, all this trekkie talk has made me worried about this forum's future...
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1