FxReverb, FxDelay,...in P5?

Author
bob wolski
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
2005/06/17 00:54:50 (permalink)

FxReverb, FxDelay,...in P5?

Mike West, from a different post, said about Sonar and P5
That you can use all (save for the Lexicon Pantheon) DXis among & between the 2 programs is delicious icing on this cake.

I wanted to use my Sonar FxReverb the other day in P5v2 but I noticed it wasn't listed as an available fx. I just assumed that the two programs did not share some plugins.

In fact I couldn't find FxChorus, FxDelay, FxEq, FxFlange, or FxReverb in P5v2.
I was able to find FX Compressor/Gate, FX Dynamics Processor, FX Expander/Gate, and FX Limiter in P5v2.

Should I be able to see FxReverb et al in Project 5? Is there something I need to configure to get them?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

6 Replies Related Threads

mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: FxReverb, FxDelay,...in P5? 2005/06/17 01:28:09 (permalink)
    I don't think the fx<effect> series are actually DX effects, but rather an older Cakewalk interface which Sonar would support for backwards compatibility, but which P5 wouldn't support.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: FxReverb, FxDelay,...in P5? 2005/06/17 06:32:24 (permalink)
    I couldn't find FxChorus, FxDelay, FxEq, FxFlange, or FxReverb in P5v2.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these plugs simply listed as Chorus, Chorus (Mono), Flange, Flange (Mono), Parametric EQ, and Reverb/Reverb (Mono) under the Cakewalk heading? If so, mine are all there in P5 V2, as well as the SpectraFX, Delay versions and the Pitch Shifter plugin. I do remember that the last one was optional upon S3 installation, so therein may lie the problem with some of the others.
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: FxReverb, FxDelay,...in P5? 2005/06/17 09:14:24 (permalink)
    I think Bob is talking about the DSP-FX plugins which come bundled with Sonar. This are not the same as the Cakewalk plugins that have been bundled since the days of Pro Audio.

The DSP-FX plugins are FxChorus, FxReverb, FxEq, FxFlanger, and FxReverb. They are good and I particularly like the flanger. Unfortunately, they only seem to work in Sonar. This is common among Sonar plugins: I can't load Pantheon LE or Tassman LE in Kinetic.

My guess is that if you want to use those plugins in any other app, you must purchase the full DSP-FX package. You can find it at http://www.dspfx.com/

The plugins on the full package are a bit dated and have an awkward interface but they're pretty good. There's 12 plugins including a great mastering limiter which IMO was better than Waves L2.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    cmusicmaker
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2328
    RE: FxReverb, FxDelay,...in P5? 2005/06/17 16:02:49 (permalink)
    I think Bob is talking about the DSP-FX plugins which come bundled with Sonar.

Correct. They also a very nice set of plugs indeed. They still do not work in P5 though.

I think the DSP - FX developers site has not been updated for a while or maybe its just the plugs.
    bob wolski
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: FxReverb, FxDelay,...in P5? 2005/06/17 20:26:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the replies.

I was indeed referring to the effects that came bundled with Sonar 1 originally. They are listed as FxReverb, etc. in Sonar.

b-rock, I do have the effects that you mentioned, Chorus (mono), etc., in P5 also. I was hoping to use the newer DSP-fx.

I like FxReverb; that's mainly what I use for reverb (in Sonar). I do have GlaceVerb, and use it occasionally but find it a little metallic, but for free, it's a steal.

I don't like that FxDelay is all based in milliseconds; no tempo ratios. I'm too lazy to do the math; spoiled by P5's tempo synced delays.

I just thought, based on the original Mike West quote, that maybe it was possible to use those DSP fx in P5 and I was just missing something.

Thanks for that link, fac. Boy do those GUI's look very different from the Sonar versions. I guess they were customized for Cakewalk's Sonar.

Mike West
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: FxReverb, FxDelay,...in P5? 2005/06/17 23:23:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bob wolski
    I just thought, based on the original Mike West quote,

D'OH! Hope I have disappointed you too deeply! ... that's as close as I can find to an embarrassed face ...

Glorph
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1