GPO - Works pretty good, but..

Author
guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
2010/07/10 23:55:20 (permalink)

GPO - Works pretty good, but..

I spending a lot of time orchestrating with GPO.  It doesn't sound terrible, but I've come accross a handful of tuning issues with just some of the samples within the stringed instruments (2nd violins and double bass so far).  They let you tune an instrument, but that won't help because most of the samples in the instrument are in tune. 

Either I'm doing something wrong, or I just need to upgrade because I got what I paid for.

I don't want to spend more than $400 or $500 - and I don't want a dongle.  Would the orchestral package in Kontakt be a step up from GPO and come with a lot of articulations and keymapping?

9 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:GPO - Works pretty good, but.. 2010/07/11 10:22:25 (permalink)
    take it your using POCKET orchestra and not personal right?

maybe it's to do with your sample rate? just a thought.. are you using 44.1 / 16 or 24 bit? ..

if your using producer, you saw the nice upgrade price they do on it as an elite pack? you'll find it's FAR cheaper than $400.. and perhaps maybe cakewalk can do you a decent upgrade price IF your not a producer owner/user

as for the dongle , it doesn't have one it uses another method of validation.

I use a combination of strings , inc. those in kontakt AND gpo. gpo I prefer to use for individual strings, kontakt I prefer to use for groups.

post edited by Fog - 2010/07/11 10:36:12
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:GPO - Works pretty good, but.. 2010/07/11 11:18:19 (permalink)
    Paul and Geno - actually he has Garritan Personal Orchestra.  he has another thread where he was talking about buying GPO for $150.

Geno - I wanted to make sure you knew also because you called it Garritan Pocket Orchestra in the songs forum but it's not "Pocket" Orchestra - that's something different.  that's what comes with Sonar and SHS for use in DimLE and it's a much "watered down" version of the full GPO which you have.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:GPO - Works pretty good, but.. 2010/07/11 11:36:42 (permalink)
    Every sample library I own has at least a few tuning issues. I'm surprised that so many vendors let those mistakes through and don't offer fixes for them. But then I don't own any high-end libraries, either.

Of the packages I own, the VSL samples that came bundled with Kontakt have the fewest issues. And of course you'll also be opening up a whole new world of sampling possibilities by having Kontakt, since most of the better libraries are formatted for Kontakt.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    guitartrek
    Re:GPO - Works pretty good, but.. 2010/07/11 11:37:40 (permalink)
    Beagle - you are right it is Garritan Personal Orchestra that I have.  The double bass is in tune except for E4, F4 and F#4 (as identified on the PRV).  These notes are flat - about 20 cents.  I'm thinking that it is one sample they are using for these 3 notes.  The notes below and above are perfectly in tune.  ARIA lets me tune the entire Double bass, but not the individual notes.  Is there a way to fix the individual samples? 

Edit - I switched this part to Cello which is in tune. 
    post edited by guitartrek - 2010/07/11 11:50:45
    guitartrek
    Re:GPO - Works pretty good, but.. 2010/07/11 11:44:39 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Every sample library I own has at least a few tuning issues. I'm surprised that so many vendors let those mistakes through and don't offer fixes for them. But then I don't own any high-end libraries, either.

Of the packages I own, the VSL samples that came bundled with Kontakt have the fewest issues. And of course you'll also be opening up a whole new world of sampling possibilities by having Kontakt, since most of the better libraries are formatted for Kontakt.

Thanks Bit.  I'm surprised also.  It would be a pretty easy quality control step to make sure a sample is in tune.  Almost a no-brainer.
    Kontakt seems really intriguing.  But $500 is still a serious investment.  On the other hand I don't want to invest so much time into tweaking orchestrations for GPO if I'm going to buy another better package.  Orchestrations are incredibly time consuming.
    haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:GPO - Works pretty good, but.. 2010/07/11 18:06:33 (permalink)
    The 2nd violins being out of tune is a known issue.   I believe they are 12 cents sharp.  I usually just tune them down a bit. 

I don't remember the  basses being out of tune.  Sometimes certain samples will be out a bit or have pops in the loops but they don't occur on all systems.  The basses could be one of these issues as the tuning has been gone over quite a bit in this library. 

Make sure you report these issues with the problem reporting tools to the developers.  That's the only way they get fixed.  Tom Hopkins, the programmer of GPO, is usually right on top of getting any issues fixed as long as he can duplicate them.  

Tom doesn't like using pitch correction software as it makes the samples sound sterile.  So sometimes an attack may be out of tune but the sustain part of the sample is in tune.  He usually has to find a happy medium between the two.  Personally I don't mind samples being out a little bit here and there as there is more life to my pieces.  Most real orchestras have tuning issues here and there.

Jim 
    guitartrek
    Re:GPO - Works pretty good, but.. 2010/07/11 20:49:46 (permalink)
    haydn12 - thanks for the insight. 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:GPO - Works pretty good, but.. 2010/07/11 22:15:16 (permalink)
    guitartrek

Beagle - you are right it is Garritan Personal Orchestra that I have.  The double bass is in tune except for E4, F4 and F#4 (as identified on the PRV).  These notes are flat - about 20 cents.  I'm thinking that it is one sample they are using for these 3 notes.  The notes below and above are perfectly in tune.  ARIA lets me tune the entire Double bass, but not the individual notes.  Is there a way to fix the individual samples? 

Edit - I switched this part to Cello which is in tune. 

Do you have Melodyne?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    guitartrek
    Re:GPO - Works pretty good, but.. 2010/07/11 22:22:52 (permalink)
    No I don't have Melodyne, but it looks pretty cool.  Thanks to some of the posts I'm doing some work-a-rounds which are helping. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1