GTP 4 - SI -Drums or ???

Author
Blade
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/03/10 13:25:04 (permalink)

GTP 4 - SI -Drums or ???

I am working on learning the environment using a simple cover of "sweet jane" and am looking for a method to drop in a rimshot snare drum beat and to open/close the high hat in the SI- Drum Kit module if those are possible settings/actions.  Or, if not am open to pointers to other tools that would get me there.

Cheers.

2 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:GTP 4 - SI -Drums or ??? 2011/03/10 15:02:42 (permalink)

Hi there Jan, welcome to the forum.

The quick answer is 'yes' - you can insert any of the SI Drum MIDI samples anywhere you like in your project.

Have a quick read through my post #2 in THIS THREAD - I try and give a quick-start guide to using MIDI in GTP4.

What may be of specific interest is the part about using the Piano Roll View (PRV) to input MIDI data.

I haven't the time at the moment, but I'll try and get together some more info on this for you including some help on using drum maps, which makes using the PRV even easier.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:GTP 4 - SI -Drums or ??? 2011/03/10 17:50:29 (permalink)

OK Jan, as promised, here's a quick step by step for setting up a Drum Map to use with SI Drums. You can use any of the methods I describe in any of your current projects, but I'd suggest opening a new blank project just so you can work through it in isolation.

By the way, these screenshots were taken from Cakewalk's Home Studio 7, but as far as I know, the process in GTP4 is almost identical.

1. Open GTP4, give the project a name and select the 'Blank' template (if this option isn't available, choose the 'Normal' template and simply ignore the tracks/busses that open)

2. From the menu bar, select Insert > Soft Synths > Studio Instruments > SI Drums - on the screen that opens, make sure you have the following option boxes checked:

3. On the SI Drum GUI that opens, select a kit and then close (or minimise) both the kit and the Synth Rack.

4. You will now see a Track Folder which contains a MIDI track and the audio track associated with it:

5. Click on the PRV button to open it - you will see a keyboard displayed along the left of the screen. Clicking on certain keys will enable you to hear the drum instrument it is mapped to; for instance, C3 is mapped to the kick drum, E3 is mapped to the snare etc: 

6. You can open the SI Drum GUI to see which keys play what drum, but a much easier way is to load a Drum Map. To do this, first return to the Track View (either click on the Track View button or close the PRV).

7. Now you need to expand the MIDI track until you can see the Input and Output option:

8. You will notice the SI Drum kit is displayed in the Output area, click on the small arrow in the box and select New Drum Map - now scroll down the (long!) list that will appear and click on Studio Instruments - Drums:

9. Now open the PRV again and you will see that instead of the keyboard, a full list of all the drum instruments is shown down the left hand side. You can audition them as before by clicking on the name. To add the individual drum 'hits' to your project, use the PRV Draw Tool as described in the other thread I linked to above.

Just out of interest Jan, the Studio Instruments Drums are pretty good, but Cakewalk is currently selling their more sophisticated and much better sounding Session Drummer 2 for just US$9.99/UK£8.99/Euro9.99 as a download (the reason it’s so cheap is that they’ve only recently released Session Drummer 3).

For this kind of money (it was previously on sale at the regular price $79), upgrading to it is a no-brainer to my way of thinking. There is also a Drum Map available to use with it, exactly as I’ve described above for SI Drums.

To see more details, click on THIS LINK 

Anyway, hope that gets you going

Steve 

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2011/03/11 02:45:02

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1