GTP4 distorted playback making program completely unusable

Author
jazzadellic
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2013/06/12 00:30:14 (permalink)

GTP4 distorted playback making program completely unusable

I've used GPT4 for maybe a year off and on, and for the most part without any problems. Every now and then when playing back / recording (with another track playing back), I would get a weird distorted sound out of the blue. Then after stopping and restarting the playback a few times it would go away, without me adjusting any of the program settings. Occasionally it would not go away unless I restarted the program. And then again, without changing any of the program settings, it would go away. I never had a clue what was causing it, I assumed a weird fluke glitch, and since the program recorded fine 95% of the time I figured it wasn't worth worrying about. Well, now I get the distorted sound 100%. The program is completely unusable now. I get it with any track that is playing back. I even opened some of my old projects, which were done being recorded and had zero problems, and now they are all distorted too. Playback is now completely broken. I haven't fiddled with any of the program settings since I made my last problem free recordings. I checked everything in the audio settings to make sure everything is where it should be, and it was.  I came here to ask for help and noticed there was a patch released that I hadn't got, and it said some audio problems associated with windows 7 were fixed. I thought that maybe it would solve my problem, but it did not change anything. I will post a link if you want to hear what the distortion sounds like. Also what is strange is if I export the project into wav format, there is no distortion, it sounds fine. One other odd thing I noticed is the playback line that moves with the recording moves slow and stutters when it first starts.

I tried to post a soundcloud link to actual recordings of the distorted sound but this forum doesn't allow links apparently. But if you go to my soundcloud page  (/zenguitar-1) you can easily find the example of distortion. I also uploaded what the same track sounds like when I exported it as a wav file (it sounds perfect).

post edited by jazzadellic - 2013/06/12 00:35:58

3 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re: GTP4 distorted playback making program completely unusable 2013/06/12 06:41:32 (permalink)

Hi there Leo

I listened to both versions of your track and, apart from the distortion, I notice that the distorted track is noticeably slower than the good track.

This can happen if your soundcard's sample rate and your project's sample rates don't match. This would also explain why the exported wave file is OK, as the mix-down/export process doesn't involve your soundcard.

I'm guessing that on projects where this is a problem, either:- the project is set at 48,000Hz but your soundcard is set to 44,100Hz; or:- the project is set to 44,100Hz and the soundcard is at 48,000Hz.

Have you recently changed the default settings on your soundcard? Or installed a different soundcard? This might explain why older projects are causing you a problem. What soundcard are you using by the way, and have you also tried swapping between ASIO and WDM driver modes?

Incidentally, you should be able to paste a hyperlink straight into a post; or use the 'Link' icon  in the editing tools to create a clickable text link. For example, here's a LINK to the distorted example on your Soundcloud page.

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2013/06/12 06:43:17

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

jazzadellic
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: GTP4 distorted playback making program completely unusable 2013/06/12 15:23:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the response Steve, I did notice that GPT4 was set to 44,100 and my sound card was at 48,000. But apparently, it's always been like that, and never caused a problem. I messed with those settings for a while to no effect, when lo and behold I had a genius idea: I hit the reset to default config button in my audio settings, and discovered the problem was actually the mixing latency. Apparently I had moved it from 300 ms to 10 ms, and that was the cause the problem all along. All my old projects play normally now.

But strangely, a new bug has cropped up, I can't start new projects anymore. Well I can, but the window that shows the instruments and tracks has disappeared. It seems to have been caused by the patch I installed yesterday. I am going to create a new thread for it, if you could take the time to read it and see if you know the answer, I'd appreciate it thanks.
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re: GTP4 distorted playback making program completely unusable 2013/06/14 18:26:50 (permalink)
    Glad you got it sorted!

I think Bob's got you sorted on the other question - have you tried rolling back the update yet?

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1