GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions?

Author
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
2008/05/22 15:12:33 (permalink)

GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions?

OK, so I can't have this track re-recorded, and there are some slightly discernable crackles occasionally with the track. Effects have been printed unfortunately.

Anything in SONAR, plugins, etc. I can do to clean it up?

Thanks in advance.
Scott

21 Replies Related Threads

mikec137
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 15:18:49 (permalink)
    You could try a noise gate (Sonitis) use the "standard noise gate" preset and tweak it from there
    aiken
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 15:24:01 (permalink)
    Or the ever popular "I meant to do that" plugin. Me, I like that kind of thing sometimes.
    razor
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1557
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 15:29:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spindlebox

OK, so I can't have this track re-recorded, and there are some slightly discernable crackles occasionally with the track. Effects have been printed unfortunately.

Anything in SONAR, plugins, etc. I can do to clean it up?

Thanks in advance.
    Scott

What caused the crackling? Was it in the source (guitar) or the audio file? The reason I ask is maybe you have a DC offset problem, etc. The other option is what made digital recording famous! Just copy a part of the track that doesn't crackle and paste it in the place of the crackled part!

sd
    spindlebox
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 15:41:27 (permalink)
    What caused the crackling? Was it in the source (guitar) or the audio file?

Def. the source. Well, my guitarist apparently recorded with LOTS of distortion; it's a fairly noisy track - it almost sounds like he mic'd his amp. I'm going to ask him. It's not awful by any means, and it doesn't clip!!! Just there are these extremely high crackles from time to time, just a pop at a time. I tried a deEsser and that didn't work. I guess I'll try the SONITUS noise gate.

Maybe I can describe it from a visual standpoint. It's like if you had a picture of a wav file, and there were a few black dots floating around the outer perimeters of the solid black wav picture. I'd like to get rid of those dots.

aiken
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 15:43:54 (permalink)
    You can always hand-edit the wave in Soundforge or something similar. If there aren't that many it should be fairly easy to do, and while you may not get to "perfect", you're likely to get to "good enough" without too much work.
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 15:44:02 (permalink)
    Maybe I can describe it from a visual standpoint. It's like if you had a picture of a wav file, and there were a few black dots floating around the outer perimeters of the solid black wav picture. I'd like to get rid of those dots.

You could try using a "notch filter" with a very tight Q setting...

Regards,
    Papa
    stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 15:48:28 (permalink)
    reinstall the audio card driver

OR it's a cable (it happened to me )
    post edited by stratcat33511 - 2008/05/22 16:08:59
    spindlebox
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 15:50:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: stratcat33511

reinstall the audio card driver

OR it's a cable (it happened to me )

Naaahhh!!
    It's only that one track!!!

Extremist!!!

jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 15:53:03 (permalink)
    Assuming the noise is integral to the part of the recording you want to retain zoom way in, I mean waaaay in, and either mute or delete the few samples that make up the peak of the unwanted noise. It'll take a while, perhaps a long while, and yield less than perfect results but you may be able to ameliorate or even eliminate the more egregious noise.
    Good luck,

Celeron 300A o/c 450, SBLive, Win98SE
    spindlebox
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 15:53:42 (permalink)
    Soundforge? I should be so lucky as to have that available. It would be nice to be able to just ERASE it! Maybe someday Photoshop technology will be incorported into SONAR, only with audio results instead of visual.

Papa,
    Not familiar with this technique. Would you mind walking me through it (if it's not too much trouble).

T.S.
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 17:46:33 (permalink)

Soundforge? I should be so lucky as to have that available. It would be nice to be able to just ERASE it! Maybe someday Photoshop technology will be incorported into SONAR, only with audio results instead of visual.

Papa,
    Not familiar with this technique. Would you mind walking me through it (if it's not too much trouble).

Well, you have to find the frequency first and it might not be one freq rlated.

Unless you simply don't want to take the time, as mentioned above, zooming in on the culprits and deleteing them or replaceing them should work nicely.

If it means a glitch free track I sure don't mind doing this. You can do it in Sonar very easily.
    spindlebox
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 17:55:15 (permalink)
    Unless you simply don't want to take the time, as mentioned above, zooming in on the culprits and deleteing them or replaceing them should work nicely.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm more than willing to take the time to do this. It's only a 1 minute part.

What VIEW would I do this in? Is it in the PDF manual? What page? Can I just double click on it?

spindlebox
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 18:39:30 (permalink)
    OK, I did the notch filter thing.

Audacity is a great tool! I downloaded some free plugins from this site and installed them into Audacity:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/plugins

I used the LADSPA Plug-Ins and there is one called "Mag's Notch Filter". It got rid of that crackle. I exported as a WAV and now I'm back in business.

Thanks for that suggestion, Papa!!!!

T.S.
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 18:47:56 (permalink)

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm more than willing to take the time to do this. It's only a 1 minute part.

What VIEW would I do this in? Is it in the PDF manual? What page? Can I just double click on it?

Hi spindlebox,

What you need to do is isolate each of the clicks. One at a time of course. You can do this by playing repeatedly over the spots and keep zooming in or use the scrub tool to try and isolate it. The thing is to try to Zoom in on the location. If it's a click or pop, like you describe, it should stand out and be very easy to see. It should show up as rather abrupt spikes in the and will probably only be a few samples long.

Like I said, usually spikes like this will only be a few samples long and you can use Alt-Left-Mouse to select it (each side of the spike) and delete it. It souldn't hurt if you select an extra sample on each side. I can't remember what it's called but make sure you don't have Sonar set to delete the hole too (everything to the right move forward).

Deleteing a little spike usually works fine with out any noticable cliks but if the deleted hole it self is still noticable you can copy and past a very short section in front of the hole that's left and work it in. This requires a little more skill and knowledge but can usually be done quite satisfactorally.

Give this a try and see what happens and if you need a little more help, we're all here. By the way backup the track your going to work on. That's just good policy and I know you know that.

T.S.

Heh heh, well while I was typeing this out you fixed it. However, maybe for future reference.
    spindlebox
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 19:17:17 (permalink)
    T.S., I will play around with it. Actually I DIDN'T fix it. It sounded like I had muffled it a bit, but there is still too many transients for my taste. I think I'll use your excersize as a learning experience, but I put up the flag.

I asked my guitarist to redo it and to watch his signal-to-noise ratio, gain management, etc. I can wait another day or two for a fixed track.

Thank you all for your help.

T.S.
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 19:26:14 (permalink)
    Hey spindlebox, by all means check out the way I describe. It can indeed come in handy down the road. I've ran into situations like this many times and the worst part of it is that you never know where it might come from.

T.S.

PS> It doesn't suprise me that it sounded a bit muffled. I don't know what freq you cut but I would think it would influence the overall sound. You really need a very, very narrow band cut to do this.
    post edited by T.S. - 2008/05/22 19:51:01
    Jose7822
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10031
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 20:53:33 (permalink)
    I've edited bad tracks once too many and, IMHO, the best way is to take care of problems like this (other than re-recording the track of course) is to edit the bad sectors of the audio clip in Sonar. It's time consuming but it's worth it. Using a notch curve on an EQ can be effective as a quick solution but, as you've noted, it only hides the problem (NOT eliminate it) and can also sound unnatural at times. Sometimes I'm able to get away with editing a good chunk of the clip and then slip-stretching (Ctrl+Drag) it to fill in the gap. There's many ways to handle just about any situation all using Sonar if you use your imagination with the tools at hand.

Take care!
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/22 21:15:05 (permalink)
    "I asked my guitarist to redo it and to watch his signal-to-noise ratio, gain management, etc. I can wait another day or two for a fixed track."

Good!

while your waiting on him here's some inspirational reading:

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/

best,
    mike

spindlebox
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/23 07:10:42 (permalink)
    Mike,

Interesting reading, thanks! I'm still working on my initial recording for this album! At least I caught it before pressing! (Although Jamsor, who's doing the mastering, would most likely have pointed it out . . . )

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/23 08:20:48 (permalink)

I offered it as encouragement... it's never too late to re-record a track.

I'm very glad you took a look and found it interesting.

best,
    mike
    stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: GUITAR CRACKLE - Cleanup Solutions? 2008/05/23 09:54:45 (permalink)
    You can try Voxengo Transmodder
    http://www.voxengo.com/product/tmodder/

or re-do the track ( is what I'd do )
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1