GURU/P5v2

Author
three_eyed_otter
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
2007/01/30 15:08:27 (permalink)

GURU/P5v2

Quote:
In Project5 I have 24 one-note patterns that I place wherever I need that Guru pattern in my sequence.

Day Drum Four & others,

How are you achieving this.....? I have been able to cr8 scenes and trigger the scenes from the piano roll but not the 24 GURU pattern sequences from the pattern keys.

have a good one
3Eo

28 Replies Related Threads

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/01/30 16:30:53 (permalink)
    Notes C1 through B2 trigger the 24 pattern sequences. If you use the DXi version of Guru, the piano roll keys will show you the labels for the various note triggers that Guru uses...
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/01/30 16:50:04 (permalink)
    Mannnnnnn,

I thought I tried that but now that I think about it, I think I may have gotten the scene playback Note #'s and the playback keys Note #'s confused.
    Much oblige xylyx.

have a good one
    3Eo
    DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/01/30 16:50:59 (permalink)
    Day Drum Four & others,

How are you achieving this.....? I have been able to cr8 scenes and trigger the scenes from the piano roll but not the 24 GURU pattern sequences from the pattern keys.

In P5, add dxi instrument Guru then go into P5's pattern editor. Scroll up and down. You will see the 16 pads and 24 patterns labled in the pattern grid (thanks fxpansion) in order:

from C1 thru B2 are the 24 patterns
    from C3 thru Eb4 are the 16 drum pads

In the P5 pattern grid, create a new pattern that's important. Name it Pattern1 if you want. Make one loong note on C1, the length of that pattern.

You can now right-click and place "Pattern1" anywhere in P5 you want. It's just a long note in C1, but on a Guru track that's pattern1.

Hope that helps. Don't forget to set the playback mode you prefer in Guru: Trig,Gate,Sync,Shot

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/01/31 14:31:07 (permalink)
    Much thanks.

have a good one
    3Eo
    rxguru
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/06 23:10:32 (permalink)
    DayDrumFour and 3E0, I am late as hell. Finally got some toy time recently, and was playing with this GURU demo, and luvin it. I have searched all of DD4 posts, and cannot seem to find the detailed one about your workflow with Guru and P5v2. I tried to draw a long note on C1 in the pattern grid (after creating a new pattern) , and then sending the pattern to a track, but that still did not trigger the Guru pattern #1. Should I ignore host tempo and transport, or not (from the GURU options menu). Appreciate any help. Thanks.
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/06 23:29:36 (permalink)
    rxguru,

did you create the scenes first? If not, then do a little click/save action in the scenes view.

have a good one
    3Eo
    rxguru
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/07 00:01:22 (permalink)
    Thanks, but that did not work either. Let me ask u a question though. The Guru info says patterns are triggered by notes c-1 (C negative 1) thru b0, but in theP5v2 pattern grid, my Guru Patterns start on C1 not C-1. Is yours the same???
    DayDrumFour
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/07 00:31:52 (permalink)
    I tried to draw a long note on C1 in the pattern grid (after creating a new pattern),

make sure it's the Project5 grid not the Guru grid right?
    ...and then sending the pattern to a track, but that still did not trigger the Guru pattern

opening Guru as DXi should show the note names in the P5 grid so you can see what notes trigger patterns, sounds etc. Remember, Cakewalk calls it C1, and Guru calls it C -1. You should see the names themselves in P5's piano roll instead of the notes. Make the long note next to where it says "Pattern 1" etc.
    Should I ignore host tempo and transport, or not

I don't. I have it follow host transport and tempo.
    Cakewalk needs to delete older posts, probably to save memory. I can't remember how I said it all, but I'm using the Guru version right out of the box, with no updates (really stable) so there may be things I don't know about. They have a major update coming, just no clear timetable. Check with Fxpansion's Guru forum. I have stuff posted over there too.

rxguru
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/07 01:16:45 (permalink)
    Everything works just like you said, but check this out. I wanted the Guru pattern 1 to start playing at measure 3 of my song. I created a new pattern in the p5 grid, drew the long note where it says Pattern 1 (Thanks fxpansion) in the grid, and sent or placed this newly created pattern at measure 3 of my song. Problem: The reason I did not think it is working correctly is because no matter what mode I pick in GURU (SYNC, TRIGGER, GATE, or SHOT.... although shot is the one I think I should be using) my pattern in Guru does not start from the beginning as it should. It starts at measure three of the Guru pattern (also the same as the measure wher I placed it in P5). Should the pattern not be able to play from the start??? Thats why I thought host tempo/transport was the culprit, but it is not. Am i expressing my problem clearly?? Thanks DD4 and 3EO.
    rxguru
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/07 01:26:10 (permalink)
    Also after the first run thru, Guru starts to play back the current pattern that is loaded (in GURU) as soon as I push PLAY on my P5 sequencer transport, whether or not there is a pattern on the track in P5. It even plays from measure 1 of my P5 song, even though I did not insert the newly formed pattern/clip until measure 3. (no matter which mode I use). I know I am doing something wrong. Will bump my head 1 more hour then off to bed. Thanks anyway.
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/07 02:59:27 (permalink)
    Unless it's been updated, the Guru demo is broken. I know for a fact that you can't drag-n-drop the pattern cells, and I'm pretty sure it had some other problems too. FXpansion didn't seem too keen on fixing it, either. But then, I'm still waiting for that next version to come out. It's been over a year now thay've been talking about it.

Has it gotten a Reverse button yet?

I want to love Guru, but I just never warmed up to it. But I just bought Battery 3 sunday, and matched with a PadKontrol it is fierce! I can see how Guru would be the same as well. Man, what took me so long???

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    DayDrumFour
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/07 11:57:41 (permalink)
    I do remember the demo being very limited.
    Whenever I need silence or a pause, I create a pattern that has silence in it. For me, it's not always a completely empty pattern (some lead-in taps right at the end etc.) but in P5, you can name the patterns anything you want. So it helps to see how the song will playback with all the patterns lined up. If one pattern is missing, Guru will keep playing the previous one.

rxguru
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/07 18:36:46 (permalink)
    DD4 I trust you on this one. I am having a ball in stand alone mode. I know I am going to buy this without a doubt. I am just going to have to build my workflow around GURU. And I think you just answered one of my questions. When there is not a new pattern triggered, GURU just seems to keep playing the last pattern. Maybe if I want 2 measures with no drums at the beginning of my song or elsewhere, I should just insert a blank 2 measure Guru pattern??Maybe not.I will just keep experimenting with the different modes until I get it all figured out. Peace....
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/07 23:20:06 (permalink)
    Ok,

so we can trigger patterns but not scenes. This means that I could run 8 engines w/in 1 pattern. This bad boy (GURU) is officialy dangerous. sorry for blabbing out loud.

have a good one
    3Eo
    DayDrumFour
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/08 00:16:27 (permalink)
    Maybe if I want 2 measures with no drums at the beginning of my song or elsewhere, I should just insert a blank 2 measure Guru pattern??

Yes, that's correct.

Ok,
    so we can trigger patterns but not scenes.

I believe you can.
    I don't do the scenes, but they are also listed in P5's editor. You should be able to midi-learn them as well.

I can't wait to see what ACT can do for Guru.....

rxguru
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/08 02:59:56 (permalink)
    Day Drum Four, I found the problem/glitch?? As long as I am working with short Guru patterns(patterns that only use 1 page in Guru or less, or in other words 32 steps in Guru or less), the pattern triggering works just like you described. I used "shot mode" so that the Guru patterns would only be triggered by midi notes, and will start from the beginning of the Guru pattern regardless of host sequencer play position. I can place patterns freely in P5, and the fire as expected. BUT.......when I use Guru patterns longer that 32 steps, or longer than 1 page,... problems arise. maybe I do not understand the modes. Will you or 3EO, or any one perform this little test for me and tell me what is going on. Here is exactly what I did:

1. I opened P5, and inserted Guru as a DXI instr on track 1

2. I opened the Guru interface and on pattern 1, I changed the pages from 1 page to 4 pages(basically a 128 step pattern, or 32 x 4, or 8 measures however you want to look at it). To save time, just place only one kick, snare or cymbal noise on the very first downbeat of page 1, This is our "pattern" in Guru.(To keep from having to create a whole 4 page pattern). Then I picked "shot" mode for the pattern.

3.In the P5 drum grid editor I created a "new" pattern and drew a long note on C1 (where the word "pattern 1" is listed on the piano roll)

4.I inserted this new pattern on p5 track #1, at measure 1. We will not move this pattern at all during this test.

5. Now, I inserted a second copy of the same pattern at measure 2. They will overlap.

When I play the song back from the beginning the first copy of the pattern plays, and so does the second copy. They both fire as planned.

6. Now, slide the second copy of the pattern from measure 2 down to measure 3 and play the song back from the beginning. The second copy does not fire!! At least not for me....

I keep sliding the second copy even further, and it does not fire again until I have slid it all the way to measure 10.

Do you get the same results, or is it just me,my demo, or my computer, or my misunderstanding of the "shot mode"??

If no one has time to do this I understand, but I am perplexed. I want to be able to place the patterns of any length, anywhere in the P5 arrange view, no matter how close or how far from the previous pattern on the same track, because that seems like the logical way to arrange a song I guess. Any suggestions anyone???
    rxguru
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/08 20:06:35 (permalink)
    Sorry, guys. I am sorry for being so much trouble. Disregard my previous post/experiment. The pattern triggering works just fine. The only time it doesnt work is if you are trying to trigger the "exact" same pattern 2 or more times in a row before it finishes playing the first time thru. Who would want to do that anyway? As long as you are switching from one pattern to a different pattern (just like in a song arrangement), everything works perfect!!!! I love this program, amd I am building my P5 default template now. (Guru on track 1, with all patterns assigned to groove matrix cells). I found DayDrumFour workflow on the Guru forum. I am so excited. My only question to DayDrumFour is, are you still not happy with Guru??? One of your posts seems like you are a little upset because there is no new update or version available yet? Me being a newbie though, I think it will hold me for a while. Dream machine would = Guru beat making methods with Battery 3 sounds....Whoa!! Guru and P5 do compliment each other quite well. I will buy it soon. Peace..........
    DayDrumFour
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/09 00:06:02 (permalink)
    My only question to DayDrumFour is, are you still not happy with Guru??? One of your posts seems like you are a little upset because there is no new update or version available yet? Me being a newbie though, I think it will hold me for a while. Dream machine would = Guru beat making methods with Battery 3 sounds....Whoa!! Guru and P5 do compliment each other quite well. I will buy it soon. Peace..........

No, I'm very happy with Guru as it is. It's exactly what I want in a drum machine. Complements P5 in ways that enhance both programs. My first post to them was a big thank you message. Fxpansion's update schedule is a bit vague though.

I guess Cakewalk has set a new standard with software updates.

jamester
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/09 13:11:24 (permalink)
    Maybe rxguru is mistakingly thinking of my post. I was disapointed a bit in Guru, and have been enxiously waiting for the update that was promised over a year ago.

I agree that Guru mixed with Battery would be the bees knees. Really Battery just needs a pattern/step editor and it would be the king. Other than that only thing Guru has over it is the eight layers...which is cool and all, but I'm rarely going to need to do polyrhythmic stuff multi-layers deep. Most people seeing it as a "virtual MPC" aren't going to need or use that so much, imo. Maybe I'm wrong.

But Battery's library is kick ass, and it's filing/organizing system is intuitive and straightforward. And with v.3. the included effects and sample editing are better than Guru's as well. But I'm still keeping my eye out for that update! Maybe next year...

Any answer on my Reverse button quesiton? I'm serious about that, how was that overlooked???

DayDrumFour
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/10 00:00:20 (permalink)
    Any answer on my Reverse button quesiton? I'm serious about that, how was that overlooked???

A lot of people want that. I think Angus said that was on the list. Velocity has a reverse button and it should be fun using it in 2.5 with input quantize.

delineator
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/12 20:46:51 (permalink)
    Hey Jamester, what can battery 3 do that Guru cannot. I love Guru man I can work so fast in that program. Can you give some details??
    jamester
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/13 01:54:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: delineator

Hey Jamester, what can battery 3 do that Guru cannot. I love Guru man I can work so fast in that program. Can you give some details??

Well, they're really coming from two different places, so they each have features the other doesn't.

I'd say the big differences are that Guru gives you the built-in pattern editor, the eight polyrhythmic layers and the built-in loop slicer. Battery gives you a much bigger and more diverse library, a little deeper wav editing/effecting, and the ability to vastly exceed a 4x4 pad layout. (Also a bonus for me is that it doesn't blink at me all the time, but that's a personal thing. One could argue that gets evened out by the fact that Battery's UI is puke green!)

Honestly I was all about Guru when it came out, and still am interested in its development. At the time I was primarily using Sonar, which I think sucks for making acid-jazz/hip-hop type beatz. So the built-in pattern editor was huge to me. But try as I might, I couldn't warm up to it. Mostly a bunch of little things that add up, like the blinking and the pre-labeled pads. I'm anxious to see what the next version brings, whenever that'll be. But now that I'm using Reaper which has awesome midi/beat making ability, the built-in editor isn't a big deal anymore. So Battery with the PadKontrol in Reaper basically gives me everything Guru can offer, save for the polyrhythmic layering. But for me, I'll take Battery's kick ass twelve gigabyte library instead...it's a fair trade-off I think.

DayDrumFour
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/13 02:43:56 (permalink)
    One could argue that gets evened out by the fact that Battery's UI is puke green!

Guru's interface looks suspiciously like Project5v2. I know I've said that before, but man,
    makes you wonder......

jamester
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/13 12:17:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DayDrumFour

One could argue that gets evened out by the fact that Battery's UI is puke green!

Guru's interface looks suspiciously like Project5v2. I know I've said that before, but man,
    makes you wonder......

Remember this:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=654746&mpage=1&key=

DayDrumFour
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/13 15:10:07 (permalink)
    Now there's a trip down memory lane.

December of 2005. I should have bought Guru then. Wasted a year thinking about it and demo'ing junk.

EDIT: I was a lot less consistent back then. I endorsed everything, then went right back to Guru.
    post edited by DayDrumFour - 2007/02/13 15:34:26

three_eyed_otter
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/13 15:42:12 (permalink)
    December of 2005. I should have bought Guru then. Wasted a year thinking about it and demo'ing junk.

I'm guilty of this one as well. Kept not wanting to shell out the 250 on it. Now if I could only search my hard drive to see what I wasted all those other 250's on.

have a good one
    3Eo
    delineator
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/13 19:59:42 (permalink)
    Thats cool Jamester i guess it is all about preferences. I felt very comfortable with the Guru UI. I also love some of the effects for some bangin ass hip hop drums. I just use the p-Seq in Project5 and run the drum grid thru Guru Vsti. Works wonders for me.
    DayDrumFour
    RE: GURU/P5v2 2007/02/14 00:51:25 (permalink)
    Now if I could only search my hard drive to see what I wasted all those other 250's on.

Not to mention the time you invested.

I just use the p-Seq in Project5 and run the drum grid thru Guru Vsti. Works wonders for me.

How the heck?...... Never mind. That sounds awesome though. By the time I figure it out, the 2.5 update will be here.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1