Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2017/06/12 04:04:09 (permalink)

Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11

I guess I always had it in the back of my mind that once the Komplete Ultimate 11 upgrade hit the sales, I'd update it as I have every version of Komplete since 8. More of a reflex thing really. But having already seen what was in it, I had never been that excited about upgrading. Took the opportunity to upgrade today. Wish I'd saved my money to be honest. 

I think it's been slowly dawning on me that Native Instruments has shot its bolt and is unlikely to do anything really exciting again. 

I really wanted to upgrade to Reaktor 6 since I love Reaktor and use it all the time, and admittedly Blocks looks like a lot of fun so I'm happy about that. Apart from the new preset functionality - it's such a PITA to navigate around those presets as opposed to using the menu to fire up snapshots. There doesn't seem to be any way to just skip to the next one, and each time you load a preset the browser skips back up to the top so you have to remember where you were and scroll down. That just seems like a giant step backward to me, although I'm sure someone will tell me I'm doing it wrong. But what else is there Reaktor wise in Ultimate 11? 

Well, there's Forms. Sure there's a few interesting sounds in there, but going through the presets to get an idea what it does, I couldn't help thinking that I'm just listening to the same old boilerplate, plastic sounding Native Instruments crud. I felt like I could be navigating through the presets in Kontour, Spark or Skannar XT, they sounded that similar. It's all very unmusical and unusable. I know, I'll probably come up with something interesting if I start from scratch, but dammit I do kind of rely on being given some usable sounds that I can start with. I really think that sound design wise, Native Instruments needs some fresh blood. It's like the same guy doing all the presets or something, lol. 

Flesh - again, an interesting idea, but something which seems like a gimmick more than anything else. Don't get me wrong I love playing around with this sort of stuff when I'm bored, but these days I'm really wise to the fact that a lot of it is exactly that - something to play around with, not something which really ends up as "your" sound, in your song. 

Seemingly nothing new in the Reaktor Factory library that I didn't have in Reaktor 5. You'd think they'd push the boat out a bit there. 

The Symphony Essentials stuff - seems like they've just stuck that in to pad Komplete out with a bunch of gigabytes of content, but of course it's severely pared down from the complete Symphony package and not something you'd really be able to score anything serious with. And I dunno, it doesn't sound very convincing to me. 

Session Guitar Strummed Acoustic: Pretty unexciting stuff. OK if you want to flesh out a mix with a bit of quick and easy percussive guitar I guess, but again it really doesn't sound convincing and the tone isn't that exciting either. I honestly think I can record a better sounding guitar track myself, even with my less than perfect recording conditions. 

Ho hum, I guess in the end I'll probably squeeze my $200's worth of use out of it, I always do. But dammit Native Instruments you have become very so-so over the last couple of years. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

44 Replies Related Threads

Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 04:47:26 (permalink)
    Hi James
    Thanks for this - I hesitated before upgrading this time - I thought this upgrade might be a little underwhelming - sounds from your comments above it is!!
    So shall skip this one I think
    Cheers
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

bigcatt
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 542
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 05:30:04 (permalink)
    From 9U to 11U, 4 pianos, 10 solo horns, a strummed guitar, Indian and Cuban instruments, 2 vintage drumkits, most of a passable lite orchestra, version 6 of the most famous synth maker type thingy in the world and other stuff. Seems OK to me...
    sharke
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 05:55:24 (permalink)
    bigcatt
    From 9U to 11U, 4 pianos, 10 solo horns, a strummed guitar, Indian and Cuban instruments, 2 vintage drumkits, most of a passable lite orchestra, version 6 of the most famous synth maker type thingy in the world and other stuff. Seems OK to me...

Ah but you're coming from 9U. It's actually a good upgrade in that case because there was some pretty cool stuff introduced in 10U. But from 10U to 11U it's very underwhelming. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 05:56:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for your feedback, especially since your posts indicate that you are way more into synth tweaking than I am.

I reckon with mature software packages the excitement factor will simply grow smaller over the years. Given that I maximize my returns by only upgrading every other year (K8u => K10u => K12u??) but just realized that this year NI also allow to upgrade for the same price even if you are 3 years out. This maximizes returns for investment and always caters for something exciting that I really want to have (like last time it was the Rickenbacker and the RC24, RC48) plus a few nice freebies considering package upgrade price vs. buying individual tools.

Interestingly, between K10u and K11u there is nothing that I would want to spend money on. For K12u there is currently only that THRILL thing which may suit me but is way overpriced to be bought by itself ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 11:33:56 (permalink)
    I only have the "normal" Komplete and upgraded from 10 to 11, mostly because of Form. I LOVE that thing! Put your own samples into it and you are in for some sleepless nights But I mostly agree with what you are saying here. There's so much I haven't installed from my version of Komplete and I have no idea what I would use everything else that comes in Ultimate for.

But Form - and that Kinetic thing - to me it was totally worth it. And I got some cool stuff for Reaktor as well.

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 11:45:31 (permalink)
    I was on Komplete 10 and after much deliberation I decided to upgrade to Komplete (not ultimate) 11. While there a lot more in ultimate nothing was compelling for me and in addition to the cost of the software I would have needed a new hard drive.

Of the new stuff;

I am not sure about Form, it will certainly require the time to dig beyond the presets if I am to find much use for it.

I was pleasantly surprised by Reaktor blocks, it certainly looks like something very useful and may be the for me to learn Reaktor properly. I had tried the free version a while ago but was not that impressed and uninstalled Reaktor 6 player as it hijacked Komplete Kontrol which would no longer associate ensembles with 5.

As I tend to browse presets from Komplete Kontrol I a less affected by any changes to preset management in Reaktor. I do wish however that NI's choice of attributes was a bit different.

The Jury is out on Una Corda, maybe it probably just needs the right project to come along. Kinetic Metal looks interesting, I have not dug into it yet but I can see uses for it. Strummed Acoustic was pretty much what I was expecting, It will get some use but it has its limitations for someone like me who uses odd time signatures a lot.  The India percussion has some nice sounds, but I suspect, like the West Africa one that was introduced in 10 it won't get much use.

I had Replika already, I think that gave it away at some stage.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 13:08:07 (permalink)
    sharke
    I guess I always had it in the back of my mind that once the Komplete Ultimate 11 upgrade hit the sales, I'd update it as I have every version of Komplete since 8. More of a reflex thing really. But having already seen what was in it, I had never been that excited about upgrading. Took the opportunity to upgrade today. Wish I'd saved my money to be honest. 

I think it's been slowly dawning on me that Native Instruments has shot its bolt and is unlikely to do anything really exciting again. 

I really wanted to upgrade to Reaktor 6 since I love Reaktor and use it all the time, and admittedly Blocks looks like a lot of fun so I'm happy about that. Apart from the new preset functionality - it's such a PITA to navigate around those presets as opposed to using the menu to fire up snapshots. There doesn't seem to be any way to just skip to the next one, and each time you load a preset the browser skips back up to the top so you have to remember where you were and scroll down. That just seems like a giant step backward to me, although I'm sure someone will tell me I'm doing it wrong. But what else is there Reaktor wise in Ultimate 11? 

Well, there's Forms. Sure there's a few interesting sounds in there, but going through the presets to get an idea what it does, I couldn't help thinking that I'm just listening to the same old boilerplate, plastic sounding Native Instruments crud. I felt like I could be navigating through the presets in Kontour, Spark or Skannar XT, they sounded that similar. It's all very unmusical and unusable. I know, I'll probably come up with something interesting if I start from scratch, but dammit I do kind of rely on being given some usable sounds that I can start with. I really think that sound design wise, Native Instruments needs some fresh blood. It's like the same guy doing all the presets or something, lol. 

Flesh - again, an interesting idea, but something which seems like a gimmick more than anything else. Don't get me wrong I love playing around with this sort of stuff when I'm bored, but these days I'm really wise to the fact that a lot of it is exactly that - something to play around with, not something which really ends up as "your" sound, in your song. 

Seemingly nothing new in the Reaktor Factory library that I didn't have in Reaktor 5. You'd think they'd push the boat out a bit there. 

The Symphony Essentials stuff - seems like they've just stuck that in to pad Komplete out with a bunch of gigabytes of content, but of course it's severely pared down from the complete Symphony package and not something you'd really be able to score anything serious with. And I dunno, it doesn't sound very convincing to me. 

Session Guitar Strummed Acoustic: Pretty unexciting stuff. OK if you want to flesh out a mix with a bit of quick and easy percussive guitar I guess, but again it really doesn't sound convincing and the tone isn't that exciting either. I honestly think I can record a better sounding guitar track myself, even with my less than perfect recording conditions. 

Ho hum, I guess in the end I'll probably squeeze my $200's worth of use out of it, I always do. But dammit Native Instruments you have become very so-so over the last couple of years. 

Sadly I've done what you have but don't have it in my hands yet. (Bought and paid for not received yet). I'm looking to get the 88 note keyboard at the end of the month when stock is available again in Australia. I wanted the whole intergrated experience.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Michael A.D.
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 82
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 13:09:44 (permalink)
    No complaints from me.
    I upgraded from 10U to 11U and for $200 I think it's great.   I am still going through it all but the Strumming Acoustic Guitar and Flesh have certainly wasted a lot of my time (and I mean that in the best way!).   I've dabbled with the Orchestral Brass Ensemble and found it quite nice.  And India and Una Corda both will have some good uses for future tunes.  And there's LOTS more that I have not yet examined.
    For me, this upgrade from Native Instruments is on par with the best weekly deals that VST Buzz and AudioPlugInDeals have ever offered.
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 14:59:55 (permalink)
    So far upgrading from K10U to K11U has been nothing but pain and anguish for moi.

I decided to both upgrade and re-organize all my NI Komplete and third party Kontakt libraries on to a single fast drive.  So...I also got a new Terrabyte usb 3.0 drive...installed K11U on it and moved all my third party stuff there as well.  About 800 gigs total.  Then I opened up Kontakt in standalone mode, deleted all the old paths to the various drives the NI and third party libraries were on and pointed K5 to the new drive/folders and rescanned.  K5 found all the new stuff and everything seemed peachy.  Only problem was Sonar wouldn't scan K5 and when I went back and tried to open it again in standalone mode.  No love.  K5 will not open and cannot be scanned by Sonar.  Despite many uninstalls/reinstalls and restarts/reboots.  And K11U is not showing up (like K10U, K10, K9, etc...) in my programs/features so I cannot uninstall the whole thing and start again.  PLUS...because of the new Native Access thingy I cannot simply download a separate K5 and manually install it.  So...I'm dead in the water as of now.  I've started a support ticket with NI but I might as well have written a letter to Santa Claus.  My experience with their email support is pretty dismal.  If anyone here as any suggestions or has been down this rutted road before, I'd sure appreciate any help I could get.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 15:46:29 (permalink)
    Latest version of Kontakt 5 won't let you easily migrate your libraries.

With previous versions, you could click on the "Add Library" button, browse to your library's new location... and be good-to-go.  Not with the latest version!  
    Clicking the "Add Library" button will only bring up Native Access... where you have to re-download the library.
    What should maybe be an hour of busy-work... is suddenly two days of re-install.
    That is the ultimate in steps backward!!  

My only advice is to uninstall everything... and reinstall from square one.
    Major time burner... but it'll (eventually) get you back up-and-running.

Regarding the K11 update:
    The past several Komplete updates have been somewhat unexciting. 
    More content than innovation...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Amicus717
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 15:50:51 (permalink)
    I'm feeling the same. Did the upgrade from 10U to 11U when I saw the sale price, and still trying to figure out if it was justified...

1) Una Corda is interesting, but not really very compelling. It might be of use here and there, but that's it. 

2) I do like -- and use -- the Strum library, so the new one is a nice addition.

3) I'm not sure, yet, about Emotive Strings -- I find Action Strings to be a bit plastic and artificial, and is hard to blend with my other string libraries, and Emotive Strings has very much the same sound and overall vibe. I'll spend some time playing around with it, and hopefully it will be useful. But I'm not optimistic.

4) Symphony Essentials: don't like the woodwind libraries at all, and the solo brass doesn't sound even slightly convincing, to my ears. The ensemble strings are okay, although they always struck me as being a bit too shrill with a lot more bite than my other string libraries, and I don't like any of the short articulations. The ensemble brass has been useful, although I didn't like it at first. However, after experimenting with it a bit, I actually don't mind it as a quick and easy way to insert some massed brass instrumentation. Taken as a whole, the Essentials collection is pretty underwhelming.

5) India I like, and will use. A decent addition.

I already had Replika XT, and I've haven't really looked at Reaktor 6 yet, and to be honest, I don't use the NI synths very much. Not sure why, but they have just never really grabbed my attention, so I've left them alone. Possibly I should change that..

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
    yorolpal
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 18:12:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Jimbo...that's actually what I started doing this morning.  Turns out I had Komplete versions all the way back to 5 still loaded.  So...I've uninstalled and deleted everything (since I have disk backups) and am currently reinstalling K11U again from scratch.  By the looks of it...should be done by a week from next Thursday;-)

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 18:38:08 (permalink)
    I upgraded form 10U to 11U for Una Corda. The other stuff was just gravy (that which I did not already own).
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 20:03:03 (permalink)
    Well... this thread has been yet another sign that it's worthwhile upgrading from K9 regular to K11 regular.   Ya know, I'm trying to save the $99 but none of y'all are helping.   

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/12 22:34:16 (permalink)
    You don't really need Komplete 11. These aren't the droids you're looking for.
    (did that help?)

It's Bass, not Bass.
    i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
    JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/13 00:24:27 (permalink)
    Sharke, and all of you...

Appreciate the cold analysis. Sorry (as in sad but grateful) to be doing a vicarious decision based on your dollar investment, loss.

Have complete 9.  Complete 11 would get Reaktor 6 and some other storage burdens that I'd probably never use.

Rumors abut Guitar Rig 6 so don't know if the fire sale is in anticipation of the next roll out.

Will save the 99 dollars and try to learn Reaktor 5 for now. Thanks for the feedback.

John
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/13 03:48:51 (permalink)
    BassDaddy
    You don't really need Komplete 11. These aren't the droids you're looking for.
    (did that help?)

Greatly!    Maybe.    Possibly.   

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

sergiosimoes
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/13 12:07:28 (permalink)
    sharke
    Ah but you're coming from 9U. It's actually a good upgrade in that case because there was some pretty cool stuff introduced in 10U. But from 10U to 11U it's very underwhelming. 

I'm glad to hear this because I'm coming from K9 regular, so my upgrade would be better than good . End even if the orchestral stuff is not first rate, I bet it'll be better than anything I currently have (Sonivox and Miroslav CE and, of course, a bunch of old and new HW ROMplers).

In the beginning there was the "MASCHINE"
    the survival and the organization of the planet depend upon the "MASCHINE"
    the future and the past depend upon the "MASCHINE"... the past?
    but who wanted the "MASCHINE" ?
    yorolpal
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/13 14:56:20 (permalink)
    This keeps getting funnier by the minute.  As you may know, now you have to use the Native Access app to install all your Komplete stuff.  What you may not know is that there is no way to select exactly what you wish to install...unless you do it one at a time...and there is no way to stop the install process short of popping up the task manager and ending the task should something go awry with the install.  This means, for instance, that I cannot select "install all" because for some reason Abbey Road Modern Drummer has a "fatal error" which essentially just hangs the install (apparently for hours as I let it run overnight).  And since there are no tick boxes so that you could select all but that library I'll have to install everything one at a time...and hope it will install properly.  Total crap design.  

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/13 15:10:03 (permalink)
    I don't understand why they had to get rid of the Service Center, that was a pretty smooth approach.
    thepianist65
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 644
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/13 15:12:11 (permalink)
    Was thinking about upgrading from K10 Ultimate to 11, but hesitated, feeling that there wasn't enough I needed or wanted to justify it. So after reading this thread, that pretty much clinches it. I will pass on this. I just retired and moved, and so I can no longer just buy what I want, anyway. Only what I need. Which changes from hour to hour, of course...

www.davemaffris.com
     BLUES:
    https://www.facebook.com/coastalblueband1/

https://www.facebook.com/Midiexpert/?ref=hl
    Please feel free to check out my music, all made with Cakewalk, available on itunes, Amazon, Google, Rdio, etc., etc.
    For mostly jazzy stuff on Soundcloud at these locations:
    https://soundcloud.com/dave-maffris
    or for some different styles of music(pop/rock/covers):
    https://soundcloud.com/dmpianoman
    Tidewater Jazz page:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-84355115

sharke
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/13 15:22:36 (permalink)
    Sanderxpander
    I don't understand why they had to get rid of the Service Center, that was a pretty smooth approach.

To be fair the Service Center was a bug filled crapfest - it totally screwed my install of Komplete on a number of occasions. Many other people experienced the same. 

James
    sharke
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/13 15:25:13 (permalink)
    sergiosimoes
    sharke

I'm glad to hear this because I'm coming from K9 regular, so my upgrade would be better than good . End even if the orchestral stuff is not first rate, I bet it'll be better than anything I currently have (Sonivox and Miroslav CE and, of course, a bunch of old and new HW ROMplers).

To me the upgrade to 10 from 9 was worth it for Rounds alone - I love that synth. Sonically it's nothing new, just standard oscillators, filters, FM and modulation - but that it has 8 separate voices that you can shape and pan independently, and lots of cool ways to distribute those voices to your MIDI notes, makes it capable of some truly unique arrangements that you just can't do on any other synth. One of the only genuinely cool things NI's done for years. 

James
    yorolpal
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/13 15:44:30 (permalink)
    Tried just installing K5 and the Kontakt factory library.  K5 still won't open.  So now I'm going back and doing a clean install of K10U on the the new drive.  Then, if that works...who knows...I'll try updating to K11U.  NI makes great products...but their support is el stinko.  Haven't heard a word from them as yet...not a peep.

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/13 16:06:12 (permalink)
    Somewhere in Germany,

"Ya Ernst, it's dat AMerican mit der big yellow head komplaning again". "He dussent zee da vast zuperiority off our new inzdallation protocol". "Venn vill day lern dis izz da perfect software mitt daz Euro zound?"

"Let him vait a few more dayz Hans, he vill learn, unt adapt to out zuperior methods" 

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    yorolpal
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/13 17:03:12 (permalink)
    Come...we go to my flat for some schnaps.

auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/13 20:40:31 (permalink)
    I just went 10 to 11.  

Was tempted to go ultimate, but you guys talked me out of it.

Ultimate only seems to me to be a good thing if you are scoring Jason Bourne movies, so I just went regular again.

Thanks for the discussion all !

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/14 00:30:53 (permalink)
    Back to Sharke's hard core analysis.

Just got the email that I need to upgrade Reaktor 6. YouTube video link to show the vast improvements and infinite scope needed to unleash creativity for the right price.

Sounded good, but each new ensemble was a rehash. Minor variations on a worn theme.

Others may get different mileage.

John
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Gah why did I bother updating to Komplete Ultimate 11 2017/06/14 22:07:34 (permalink)
    I think NI are having "growing pains" dealing with the transition to mostly downloadable products.
    If you're downloading a single instrument/library, Native Access is cool.
    If you already have the libraries installed... and you just need to install Kontakt and point it to the existing libraries, you are plain SOL. 

I just built a machine for a TV/Film composer in LA... who had 100s of GB of sample libraries.
    It took me many hours to copy these libraries over to the new machine and point Kontakt 5 to them and authorize/unlock them.
    If I'd been dealing with the current version of Kontakt, it would have taken days longer.

It's a major step backward having to re download/install libraries... when you could just point Kontakt to their current location and authorize.  Hello!?!?  Do these folks actually use their own software?

Wish someone from NI would be at GearFest on the 23rd and 24th.
    I'd love to bend their ear on this one...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1