Garbled Playback on Recorded and Canned Sound Files

Author
woodash
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/06/05 20:18:52 (permalink)

Garbled Playback on Recorded and Canned Sound Files

Hello - New guy to GTP3 here...

When I try to record a guitar track (line input), the playback is garbled, low pitch, and slow. The same is true even if I just simply load a *.WAV file and play it. On the other hand, I have been using the freeware Audacity program and can record and playback both guitar and WAV files using the same setup with no problem.

PC system:
Dell Dimension 8300
P4, 3.0GHz, 256MB RAM
Win XP Home OS
80GB HD
Creative SB Live Series (WDM) card (currently going into Line In; haven't tried mic input yet...)

Audacity Settings:
Default sample rate: 44100 Hz
Real-time sample rate converter: Fast Sinc Interpolation

GTP3 Audio Options Settings:
Audio driver bit depth: 16
Sample rate 44100
Buffers in Playback Queue: 4
Buffer size: 150
I/O buffer size: 64
Driver Mode: Use default (apply dither)
Timecode format: 30 FPS ndf

What's throwing me here is that I am just trying to get a simple signal through GTP3 and with the same system and souncard, etc., I have no problem with other software (i.e., Audacity, etc.). It's gotta be something with the GTP3 setup, but I cannot - for the life of me - figure this thing out...

Many thanks for any advice.
Steve

3 Replies Related Threads

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: Garbled Playback on Recorded and Canned Sound Files 2005/06/05 20:46:32 (permalink)
    I am not sure either, but will suggest you lookinto disabling onboard sound, making sure that you specify the correct sound card in the input section of the mix view in GTP3. Also, your 256 of ram isn't too good. But I suppose that should not really be to blame for your poor recorded sound quality. Maybe GTP3 requires a lot more ram to run than Audacity, which is a freeware program. I'll have a think about it and get back to you. So, when you playback what you recorded it is low pitch, low vol, and slow? Man, that's weird.
    southphilly
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: Garbled Playback on Recorded and Canned Sound Files 2005/06/06 00:22:14 (permalink)
    welcome to the board woodash

usually garbled playback is due to a GTP3/soundcard settings discrepancy. i.e. GTP3 set to record at 16/44.1 while card is set at 24/44.1, but from what you listed it doesn't seem to be the case (but i'd still double-check). Although Gtp3 is defintely greedy RAM-wise, your processor is an absolute monster and will be able to handle anything thrown at it through GTP3, so it's not a performance issue either. (low RAM will come more into play during real-time montoring, dropouts/pops, etc, but I think you'll be fine)

do the "waves" in each track in the edit view peak out or do they look OK?

did you run (re-run) the "wave profiler" (options > audio) in GTP3 with the card you're using? otherwise, have you tried a search on this forum? you could do a quick one with your cards make/model and see what you come up with (some users have had some small issues with the SB live). you'll probably find quite a bit of stuff about that card, some definitely dealing with distorted playback

southphilly

"...all my lies are only wishes..."

http://www.soundclick.com/weus

woodash
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Garbled Playback on Recorded and Canned Sound Files 2005/06/06 18:11:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I will try y'alls recommendations. I'm unfortunately away for a few days, but will try it when I get back. I'll also spend more time searching this (and other) sites for answers and will report back the fix if it ever comes....

Thanks once again.
    Steve
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1