Garlic for allergies

Author
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
2010/01/19 07:37:27 (permalink)

Garlic for allergies

I've had allergies (hay fever and the like) since I was 10, so...going on 20 years now.     I've tried all kinds of things but still sneeze and have a runny nose most of the time.  I've heard that garlic is good for allergies and colds and I've taken garlic pills to no avail for quite awhile.  Finally last week I decided to try an experiment, and now every morning I crush 1-3 garlic cloves in my health drink/concoction, and it seems to be helping!

Now all I have to figure out is if it's more socially acceptable to blow your nose often....

or smell like a Ceasar salad all morning. 

29 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/19 07:40:39 (permalink)

My wife and her Italian family have lots of allergies... the garlic hasn't helped.

:-)

I like the garlic.

ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/19 07:50:21 (permalink)
    I think you can get non-smelly garlic capsules from health food stores.

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/19 08:32:37 (permalink)
    All types of onions have clinically proven positive effects to your health. Among other things, they are  mild antibiotics, and the etheric vapors can ease childrens ear aches (you put a small textile bag full of crushed onion on the sick ear). Maybe adults have such a thick skin that this bag thing doesn't work on us.

I'm relieved to hear that italians can be allergic too, us nordic people are known to have lots of allergy.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Janet
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/19 08:40:32 (permalink)
    Well, Mike, I'm wondering how long this will really help.  We'll see.  So you sorta like it when people smell like they work at Olive Gardens?  lol

Eric, I've taken those for years.  Maybe I should down a whole bottle every day. :-)

Kalle, I do use garlic when I have an earache too.  I'm not sure if it helps, but it does eventually go away. 
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/19 09:02:19 (permalink)
    Janet

I've had allergies (hay fever and the like) since I was 10, so...going on 20 years now.     I've tried all kinds of things but still sneeze and have a runny nose most of the time.  I've heard that garlic is good for allergies and colds and I've taken garlic pills to no avail for quite awhile.  Finally last week I decided to try an experiment, and now every morning I crush 1-3 garlic cloves in my health drink/concoction, and it seems to be helping!

Now all I have to figure out is if it's more socially acceptable to blow your nose often....

or smell like a Ceasar salad all morning. 

Logic goes a long way when looking at so many
    things. However knowledge is needed as well. In
    this case (pills). Not all pills are equal. Some can
    pass through your system almost unabsorbed at
    all. In vitamins for example they only have to have
    10% of what they claim to have in the vitamin.

Some of them you can drop in a glass of water
    and a half hour later haven't even dissolved. Now
    if you look at "pills" you will know that (something)
    has to hold them together. Then something has to
    dissolve it. 

It is easy to see why powder is better but even
    so it still is about potency whether it be pill or
    powder. The physicians desk reference lists
    products from companies who make it to the
    upper class of pharmaceutical grade guaranteed
    potency.

Hence the term "quality" is the thing. Can you
    say "home grown tomato?". (well let me correct
    that). Some people do better than others. So this
    brings everything back to logic. The logic is the
    body and how it works. It in some ways is so
    simple to understand that we don't get it.

Garbage in, garbage out. But the out part
    isn't in 100% proportions to the in part. There
    is this thing called free radicals. So these
    little things decide to come and hang around
    at your place (yep your body).

Now lets look at what many people consider
    a  "fix". Put on a new carburetor on a broke
    down engine? There is no substitute for the
    quality of a rebuilt motor. Likewise the body
    is no different.

Of course there are limits to rebuilding the
    body but it can be amazing how much can
    be done. It isn't magic just plane common
    since. An allergy is a reaction. There are
    two basic options. Stay away or overcome.

Stay away is easy by comparison to
    overcoming so in your case I'll answer
    your question of "blowing your nose".

Disclaimer:

I'm no doctor. Try this at your own risk.
    Blow your nose however many times it
    takes!

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/19 09:07:31 (permalink)
    There is a NPR syndicated show. I think it is called "the splendid table". Last week they had a Thai chef explaining the philosophy of traditional hi-cuisine in Thailand... which I will opine is one of the 3 top tier sophisticated cuisines (Indian and French being tied for first with Thai.)

She spoke of 4 body chemistry types and how a Thai menu provides an option for all 4 types to get what they need to be healthy.

If you really want to deal with allergies by modifying your diet I suggest you skip right past the hippie freaks (like me) at the health food store and head straight to a traditional Chinese or Thai doctor and tell them what is on your mind.

I have heard of a particular doctor in Jacksonville Florida who has changed many peoples lives. He is very old school and his daughter does all the language interpretation.

More often than not he treats allergies by prescribing that you avoid a food that is kicking your alergies into action... in other words he rarely prescribes a wonder food to cure a problem... he usually tries to find the cause of the problem and fix the problem.

He has taught many people how to save their Gallbladder from a scheduled removal by changing their eating habits... after spending a few seconds looking at their tongue.

Anyways, if you can find a real life traditional doctor from Thailand or South Eastern China you should consider making a special trip to see that person.

There is something about 2000++ years of history that makes the info they can share worth learning about.

very best,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/01/19 09:11:31

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/19 09:10:24 (permalink)
    I've lived with allergies all my life.  sometimes they're debilitating (and most people don't even understand that!).  for the last couple of years, I've enjoyed very mild symptoms thanks to pharmaceuticals.  I take 2 different Rx drugs and one over the counter every day.  unfortunately, the last few weeks have proven that this drug cocktail is losing its power and I've been having more symptoms worse and worse the last few weeks.

none of the "natural" remedies like garlic have ever done anything for me.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/19 09:35:54 (permalink)
    Beagle,
     The point I was hoping to make is that very few societies have studied treating allergy by discovering and eliminating the source of the discomfort.

Many people have food allergies that effect their other body functions.

For example; Industrial grade white wheat flour gives me a plugged up nasal system within minutes... I get very uncomfortable and become preoccupied with anticipation that the episode will pass along in time.

You might find it interesting to look in to the idea that over exposure to common foods can cause all kinds of trouble.

best,
    mike

Beagle
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/19 09:48:12 (permalink)
    hey, mike, actually I didn't see your previous post while I was typing, I just now read it.

that's interesting stuff, but all of my allergies have to do with airborne stuff that grows.  ragweed, pollen, grass seed, even tree bark!  I'm allergic to the outdoors!  I've never seen any corrolation to anything I've eaten - but it's always repeatable when I sniff flowers!

Janet
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/19 09:50:39 (permalink)
    I think he's saying though, that building up our immune system by eating what's right for us helps us all over.  I've studied that diligently and tried to follow it for several years, but have never stayed on the perfect diet for long.  I'm also allergic to the outdoors, although not as badly as you, obviously.  I figure that at least eating better will help some. 

Mike, the Thai or Chinese doctor sounds like an intriguing idea.  Thanks!
    Beagle
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/19 09:54:18 (permalink)
    I don't disagree that a healthy diet does help with all kinds of problems.  but if you have followed a healthy diet for several years and you still have allergy problems, then what does that say?  surely it doesn't say that the one time you ate a bloomin' onion - the only time you've eaten anything fried in 6 months or more, would cause you to continue to suffer from allergies?  if that's the case then there's no way I would have the discipline to NEVER eat anything except strictly healthy foods, so I would be doomed to try.

Janet
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/19 09:56:54 (permalink)
    Oh I hear ya.  I've never stayed on it strictly enough for long enough to prove anything.  But I figure doing what I can helps.  But yes, I still have allergies.  :-(
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/19 23:35:25 (permalink)
    Beagle

hey, mike, actually I didn't see your previous post while I was typing, I just now read it.

that's interesting stuff, but all of my allergies have to do with airborne stuff that grows.  ragweed, pollen, grass seed, even tree bark!  I'm allergic to the outdoors!  I've never seen any corrolation to anything I've eaten - but it's always repeatable when I sniff flowers!

Reece, I've been allergic to ragweed well, forever. It was usually not too bad, but when I moved to Dallas in '89, it really kicked in.
    For most of Sept. and Oct., I had to take 3-4 Actifed's just to keep my nose from running all day, and to lessen the sneezing episodes. I loved the air-quality reports in the DMN. It broke everything down into each constituent of the air, and sure enough, ragweed was always high in those fall months, and I later learned that North Texas has one of the highest ragweed... infestations? in the nation.
    Since moving back to NC in '02, I haven't taken a single Actifed, or any other allergy med.
    I don't know about the garlic, though, Janet, except that I like it.

Edit: Spelling, after the post was already quoted in another post.
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2010/01/20 11:49:21

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Electric Falcon™
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/20 02:04:33 (permalink)

This is really interesting. I have worked with people who swear by certain things for different situations.

One thing I've heard is how the "Peppermint Plant" supposedly will help an upset stomach. I believe that to be true honestly. I've had a sour stomach ache before and eaten some peppermint candy and it seemed to have helped. I know it wasn't the plant, but it still contained the substance. Perhaps it tricked what little bit of a brain I have into thinking the world was all minty or something.

My Parents have been trying the vinegar theory here lately. I don't understand it all myself, but there are "SO CALLED" experts who swear by using vinegar to improve health.  I say proceed with caution if you are using that because anything can seriously upset your bodies balance where there is required meds or any other condition involved. Get a doctors opinion first before doing any type of remedy.

As for Garlic, I'm not sure, I've heard it will wart off Vampire's, and I for one don't believe it! The reason why is those freaking Lawyers/Doctors and Bill Collectors keep on coming!!!

I've always heard that "Carrots" improve a persons sight, or at least that's an old ideal. Not sure, but I know I used to eat them like candy when I was a kid and I could see things at nighttime in the dark that I can't nowadays. And I rarely eat carrots at all anymore.

I had someone tell me a while back that sometimes you have a desire to eat a certain veggie because it means your body is lacking in certain vitamins. I'm not sure about that, but it is an interesting thought. I get on a kick of eating certain veggies sometimes, and certain spices.

I also had someone tell me that your taste changes every 7 years. Not sure about that one either, but I have noticed that I eat foods and certain things now that I couldn't stand 7 years ago.

Does Garlic Butter for Pizza count?

EF

post edited by Electric Falcon™ - 2010/01/20 02:07:54

The CyberSpace Pub   This is the link to my Website and Music. I got it working again now as of today. Check it out - 1-26-2010
    Wood67
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1348
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/20 07:25:13 (permalink)
    I've always heard that "Carrots" improve a persons sight

Sorry EF - I believe that rumour was promulgated by the Brits during the war, as a way of throwing the Germans off knowing about the new Radar stations.  It originated in folklore before then but I don't think there's any real truth in it.

btw - I'm reading a very interesting book 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre (science writer for the UK Guardian paper).  It has some provoking essays on homeopathy and alternative medicine, particularly in the poor (often deliberate) execution and analysis of test data.

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/20 08:46:19 (permalink)
    I tried to post here yesterday... but the server appeared to be off line.

I agree on the healthy diet and keeping the immune system functional by subjecting it to the various allergens. An allergy is nothing more than an abnormal...over-reaction by the body, to a normal substance.

I take a wide variety of suppliments on a daily basis..... fish oil, garlic oil, reservatol/grapeseed, coral calcium, spirolina, juice and veggie caps, royal jelly, coQ10, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and some other stuff..... since I have been on this stuff.... years now..... I rarely get sick, all winter long... no colds, no sniffles, no missed days due to sickness. When I do get a cold...it's of short duration and mild...... My springtime allergy to pollen used to be horrible..... now... well at least for the past 3 or 4 years I have not had any issues with pollen.... I used to live on sudafed for about 5 to 6 weeks while pollen season was here. In NC.... the pollen is so bad there is a yellow haze in the air...it looks like yellow smoke at times....

The key, I believe, is to get healthy and this takes time. You can not start taking a suppliment and expect instant results like happens with the chemical cocktails in the pharma. You have to stick with it fro months and even years to see the results.... like so many things in life.... but since we are trained to want and expect instant results... we grab the chemicals and go on with life.... while the chemicals are doing nothing but suppressing the symptoms, not addressing the underlying issues, and doing God only knows what else to our bodies in the process.

Wanna try something?  Bee pollen..aka...royal jelly contains the pollen and some other things that many people are allergic to...... get some and take it....be careful if you are allergic to bee stings....... my belief is that we are not immune to certain things because we live in air conditioned houses and cars.... people who tend to work outside everyday are not as prone to these ailments, because they are constantly exposed to them and their bodies react normally.... of course there are exceptions.

I take about 12 caps every single day... suppliments that are considered mainly whole food as opposed to simply vitamin suppliments. Why NOT to take vitamin suppliments is a whole different topic.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/01/20 08:47:25

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/20 09:05:01 (permalink)
    57Gregy

Beagle

Reece, I've been allergig to ragweed well, forever. It was usually not too bad, but when I moved to Dallas in '89, it really kicked in.
    For most of Sept. and Oct., I had to take 3-4 Actifed's just to keep my nose from running all day, and to lessen the sneezing episodes. I loved the air-quality reports in the DMN. It broke everything down into each constituent of the air, and sure enough, ragweed was always high in those fall months, and I later learned that North Texas has one of the highest ragweed... infestations? in the nation.
    Since moving back to NC in '02, I haven't taken a single Actifed, or any other allergy med.

well, moving to NC is not an option for me!   However, I doubt that the environment in NC is much different from TN and my allergies were just as bad in TN as they are in TX.

auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2010/01/20 09:06:15 (permalink)

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    roxferdmeccos
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2011/06/17 13:53:22 (permalink)
    I always used garlic in food. It is really good for allergy. It has many quality like It boost our immunity system. It is good for digesting too. Garlic is antioxidant and natural antihistamine. It also adds a flavor boost to many dishes. It has no side effects.
    Beagle
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2011/06/17 14:08:47 (permalink)
    roxferdmeccos

I always used garlic in food. It is really good for allergy. It has many quality like It boost our immunity system. It is good for digesting too. Garlic is antioxidant and natural antihistamine. It also adds a flavor boost to many dishes. It has no side effects.

you're detestable.  go peddle your crap elsewhere.

Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2011/06/17 16:18:34 (permalink)
    Beagle

57Gregy

Beagle

Reece, I've been allergig to ragweed well, forever. It was usually not too bad, but when I moved to Dallas in '89, it really kicked in.

well, moving to NC is not an option for me!   However, I doubt that the environment in NC is much different from TN and my allergies were just as bad in TN as they are in TX.

Hmmm... you could give ND a try .  Seriously, when I was going to school at SMU, and then lived out in the country for a couple years, I reignited allergies I hadn't had in years.  I got back up here, and they retired.  The much drier air seems to be a key part of it  You can still have some fun reactions during harvest (small grains, sugar beets, and potatoes, mostly) because of all the stuff that the harvesters stir up... but the rest of the year isn't bad at all.

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2011/06/17 17:19:10 (permalink)
    Janet

now every morning I crush 1-3 garlic cloves in my health drink/concoction, and it seems to be helping!
    Yeah ... same here ... as long as the concoction is an industrial strength bloody mary. 

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2011/06/17 17:27:33 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

hi-cuisine in Thailand... which I will opine is one of the 3 top tier sophisticated cuisines (Indian and French being tied for first with Thai.)
    Getting OT a little ... but what the heck.  Have you ever experienced Burmese cuisine?  It's not easy to find Burmese restaurants even in major metropolitan areas like SanFrancisco.  We've got them in the city (but not close to my office) but in the burbs where I live there's zip.  I love French and Indian, and I quite like Thai.  But I'd pick a Burmese meal over those choices any day.  French for me a bit difficult because I'm vegetarian with a strong inclination to keep it vegan.  Burmese is great for me but non-vegetarians love it as well.  A signiture dish is called ginger salad and there's a close cousine called smoked tea salad.  One taste and you'll be hooked.  If you do get to a Burmese restaurant, order that plus a whole bunch of various selections from the appetizer portion of the menu.  I'm willing to bet you'll regard it as one of the best meals you've ever eaten unless the restaurant is really a second rate one.

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2011/06/17 20:52:14 (permalink)
    Although I'm familiar with food alergies, I'm currently going through the usual "seasonal alergy" hell...

The newer drugs help (the Claritin & Alegra types) used with some nasal sprays, but my worst problems are my eyes...  They get scratchy, really itchy, water like crazy and are a bit painful as well.  Plus I end up looking like someone punched me (twice) with very red, bloodshot eyes and some puffy reddening around the eyes.  Not good for someone who needs to use a PC all day and night!

If anyone has suggestions for that they would be appreciated!

Getting back to the OP, what happens if you're allergic to garlic?

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Beagle
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2011/06/17 21:19:06 (permalink)
    you guys do realize this thread is a year and a half old, right?  the frickin' spammer brought it back to the top, not someone posting something else relevent to this old thread. 

Janet
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2011/06/17 22:28:12 (permalink)
    But it looks like it's become relevant again, Reece. :)

Craig, I just discovered Visine-A for itchy, red eyes.  I may have to wait till next March (the worst for me here) to see if it really works, but it can't hurt. 

If next March is as bad as last March was (and it prolly will be), I may go to an allergist to get tested and get shots to combat them.  Just heard about that a month or so ago.

Still haven't tried the Chinese doctor...I'd forgotten about it actually.

It was fun reading one of Jimmy's posts again though.  :) 

Carry on!
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2011/06/18 00:38:05 (permalink)
    I've got Visine "Totality" Janet.  It's supposed to cover all the issues - it was recommended to me by a pharmacist when I went to an offsite meeting and almost couldn't see.   Unfortunately, it doesn't prevent the problem, it just helps afterwards... *sigh*

June is my worst month, but I used to have things REALLY bad until I started having a spoonful of local honey each day.  Turns out the guy at the local farmers market was selling honey made from the same bees I was seeing in my yard - can't get any more local than that!  It's supposed to help you build an immunity to the local pollens, etc. (which, since I grew up in So. California, were all new to my poor nose).  It helped but it wasn't the full solution.  Hopefully I can afford to get an allergy test soon and see if something else like shots can help.

(So what shots do you think are most helpful?  Whiskey?  Vodka? )
    post edited by craigb - 2011/06/18 00:39:09

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Janet
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2011/06/18 09:43:41 (permalink)
    I figured you'd heard of Visine already.  And I suspected it wasn't a miracle cure too...

People are always telling me about local honey too, but I used to use it by the gallon and it never took them away.  Come to think of it, though, they weren't quite as BAD then.  (that was also in WI, though.  MO has a bad reputation for allergies.)  The cedar trees are trying to take over the world I think.  A few more years and they might have us all killed off and they can have it!

Whiskey or Vodka?  Not sure on that one.  :)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Garlic for allergies 2011/06/18 09:57:49 (permalink)
    I tend to believe that the increasing amount of allergies is caused by vaccinations. The defense system of our body must start to look for new enemies when the ones they were created to fight against are gone. So we must choose, whether we accept that a couple of thousand of kids die or get permanent damage (infertility, deafness, blindness, heart dysfunction etc) yearly, or we use vaccines and get allergies.

Eating the right food, clean and organic, is not the answer, I think, because most allergies are about natural plants, flowers, hays, trees and of course animals.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1