Gating the Snare

Author
RIZZY0
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 74
2006/06/25 16:50:06 (permalink)

Gating the Snare

How do you guys that record acoustic drums get rid of the sympathetic snare vibrations on your drum tracks. I know the obvious answer is to get the snare to not buzz but before it gets tracked but once its down whta do you do? Ive had a little success with the multiband gateing as well as eqing it out but I don't like doing that for obvious reasons.
Any suggestions would be great as well as any suggestion on stopping it before tracking thanks

8 Replies Related Threads

Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Gating the Snare 2006/06/25 17:57:55 (permalink)
    i just eq the stuff thats offensive, but i consider the snare sounds to be part of the kit and generally leave them in. snare springs that are WAY too loose, however, may need some additional repairs but any rattle is probably going to be in the overheads anyway

The Poodle Chews It.

brandondrury
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Gating the Snare 2006/06/27 10:57:59 (permalink)
    I know the obvious answer is to get the snare to not buzz but before it gets tracked

I think you answered your own question here.

When an instrument is tracked, you are doing little more than converting sound waves to electricity. There is no magic plugin or trick to make a snare drum sound like a frog, a chainsaw, or an opera singer. When you want to change the fundamental character of an instrument, you may as well want to change it into a frog or chainsaw.

So, I'd learn from this and make sure that you ALWAYS get what you are looking for when tracking. This is how the big boys do it.

Now if you really have to change the snare out, you have a few options.
    1) You can go the fake route and gate the crap out of it. I've had good luck with the Waves C1 gate for this, but there are others that would do a ton of good as well. So much of this technique depends on the snare, the drummer, how it was recorded, the room it was recorded, and the song so I'm kind of guiding in the dark here.

2) You can go the fake route and use a sample. This is probably the "least fake" of all your options. Of course, the overheads will still have that buzz or ring in there and who knows what that will sound like.

3) Retrack the drums. No offense, but it sounds as if someone failed. I'm going to go ahead and blame you because every person who hears a recording with your name on it is going to blame you 100%. It's your fault. You didn't force the drummer to tune his snare properly. You didn't give him a few different snares to work with. You could have prevented this at the source and saved a ton of time talking on this forum, for example. (I don't mean to be a jerk. I've had to learn these lessons the hard way and being firm is the only way anyone else will learn..)

Brandon
    RIZZY0
    RE: Gating the Snare 2006/06/27 19:50:56 (permalink)
    Hey Brandon
    No offense taken.
    In response to your third answer You can blame me twice because I am the drummer/engineer. The reasoning behind my question is because I have one particular snare that I love the sound of it and It records well. But being a metallic snare no matter how I tune it, it will always have sympathetic vibrations from the other instruments esp. the bass and kick drum. I do have the option using duct tape across the bottom head but then we get into muffling the drum itself which is counterproductive. I don't plan on using samples being that I'm looking for the real sound of a specific drum. As to gating it I'm looking just to clean up the sound of the drum when it is not being played not change the sound to a fog horn or any other sound Idealy I want silence when it is not being played.
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Gating the Snare 2006/06/27 22:04:32 (permalink)
    If I gate it I I don't use a hard gate. I set the gate to not close the mic completely but just to bring the volume down a bit so the ugly stuff isn't as loud. It's more like an expander without the make up gain.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    brandondrury
    RE: Gating the Snare 2006/06/28 00:15:18 (permalink)
    As to gating it I'm looking just to clean up the sound of the drum when it is not being played

Oh, well that's quite a bit different.

There are a few schools of thought here. If you are just trying to quiet the vibrations when the snare isn't being hit, you don't have THAT big of a problem.

In fact, I like leaving that sort of thing in the snare, generally. Sometimes toms will ring when not being played and that CAN be a problem, but I like the snare's naturalness.

Be careful being against samples. You are sort of contradicting yourself. You say you don't like the naturalness on the snare (ringing) but you consider samples to be unnatural. Where you draw the line of "natural" is up to you, but just remember that everything is fake. You'd be amazed at just how much sound replacing and sample using is going on. I'm in no way against it, personally.

If you really want to be a natural purists, you need to be asking how to stop this resonance of the drum itself and that would probably have to be on a drum forum or something.

Either way, a gate should fix your problem fairly easily unless you are getting a ton of that unwanted tone in your overheads.
    Brandon
    RIZZY0
    RE: Gating the Snare 2006/06/28 07:38:36 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the input, Im definitely not a purest based on this thread alone and I'm sure down the road I will be using Samples I occasionally will use looped drums to demo songs. I am suprised that many people like to leave the snare vibrations in the mix. I do hear it on occasion in some mixes but not that much. I wonder If its left in a lot more that I just don't hear and that I'm am just being over critical about mine. Anyways I'm going to try some soft noise gating Tonight and see how that goes
    fooman
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1382
    RE: Gating the Snare 2006/06/29 09:21:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

If I gate it I I don't use a hard gate. I set the gate to not close the mic completely but just to bring the volume down a bit so the ugly stuff isn't as loud. It's more like an expander without the make up gain.

Agreed here 100%. This helps get rid of any hi hat bleed without making it obvious at all.
    brandondrury
    RE: Gating the Snare 2006/06/30 10:02:53 (permalink)
    Anyways I'm going to try some soft noise gating Tonight and see how that goes

Be careful with that "noise gate" phrase. I hear a person say "noise gate" for a digital recording, that person gets a point in the "don't know what they are doing" category.

Let us know how it turned out.

Brandon
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1