Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete

Author
Monkey Mash
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 163
2007/05/11 17:07:07 (permalink)

Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete

I just realised that i've not finished anything for weeks. I've spent loads of time sat here playing with all my nice plugs, made a few bars of bits of nothing, bought some Kjaerhus bits and Audio Damage stuff and so on - i could have written an album. When i had an Ensoniq SQ80 and only that, i was a prolific producer of finished tracks - most were crap, but they were complete. So what do i do? Uninstall everything and go back to basic P5 and its synths - maybe i'd get more done. I've now got a Moog Voyager on the way - childhood dreams to have a minimoog fulfilled. I bet i can spend the next six months getting to know that - another good excuse to sit and not produce the goods .

Anyone else had gear lust and recovered? is there light at the end of the expensive tunnel?

Monkey

24 Replies Related Threads

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/11 17:15:29 (permalink)
    Try this. Dont buy anymore gear, dont sell it either. Say to yourself that you will only spend time learning each thing you have. Spend lots of time concentrating on that one plug in or whatever. Once you feel extremely comfortable about it, move onto the next. Learning all the time.
    Monkey Mash
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/11 17:38:46 (permalink)
    Yeah - i know your right for sure. Take Absynth - its potential is vast, and i just scatched the surface - i even got the tutorial DVD so i've got no excuse. There are probably people knocking about that just use instances of that alone for complete projects

Monkey

kb420
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1839
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/11 17:47:23 (permalink)
    I know exactly how you feel about gear lust. Check out this link. It gave me some perspective. This guy is doing movie soundtrack type musical pieces, and all he uses is Reason. I always thought of Reason as a toy, but I guess it's really not what you use, it's just how you use it.

http://www.bjarneo.com/

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
    Monkey Mash
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/11 18:03:02 (permalink)
    Oh yeah - Reason 4 is coming................mmmmmmmmm gear.. err ..what ...sorry

That link does sound good, but i bet its been mastered by a pro - at least i hope so or i'm onna get even more depressed

I like parts of reason alot as it happens, but i cant stand the sequencer.

How you liking Sound Forge 9 by the way? my Mrs just picked me up a copy in the US for equiv £150 - shes back tomorrow with it,

Monkey

kb420
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1839
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/11 18:45:13 (permalink)
    Actually, my Sound Forge 9 isn't working right now. It's won't play nice with my Yamaha ASIO mlan drivers. I'm waiting for an update.

It's quite possible that the audio you heard on that website is actually all Reason. I didn't think that the demo songs from Reason's website were all Reason. I thought they had been mastered, until I bought it, and saw that I could open all of them in Reason, and they sound the same.

Remember, it's not what you use, but how you use it.

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/11 19:33:19 (permalink)
    One thing I do when I get a new synth, I make a full song using only that synth as sound source, even the drum sounds. It's a good way to get to know the synth and finish a track at the same time.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    LionSound
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/11 20:15:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fac

One thing I do when I get a new synth, I make a full song using only that synth as sound source, even the drum sounds. It's a good way to get to know the synth and finish a track at the same time.

I like that technique. Good way to stretch the limitations of a synth.

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/11 20:16:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Monkey Mash

Anyone else had gear lust and recovered? is there light at the end of the expensive tunnel?

Monkey

Hi Monkey Mash,

can't say I've recovered over here...
    ......It's One Day At A Time ... A Gear 12 step program might be in order to fully recover....

the most recent P 5 update is my newest aquisition and I'm busy using P 5 again...

IMO ...fwiw.....when all is said and done I have bought stuff to help get the creative juices to flow,
    many of these tools eventualy end up getting used in my musical journeys....
    There Is Nothing Like The Smell Of A New Song.....ahhhh thats my Real Happiness....
    Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

crabtwins
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/11 20:52:43 (permalink)
    I had a similar incident except for me it was VST lust. Which I wouldnt call gear but it kind of is. All of a sudden i had every vst you can think of and I was overwhelmed by the options.. I spent more time looking for sounds than anything else. SOon I realized what the key elements i like were, where i could get them and how to use them. Thats why i need the vst manager from sonar so bad. Either way...just take a breather and jump back in...its the only way back.

dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/11 22:33:15 (permalink)
    I have the solution!

Why don't you send me your gear-lust synths - anything from Absynth to Zebra.

You may say "But I won't make any money doing that?!"

The point is to break yourself of the habit of buying synths. When you realize that you bought things then gave them away free, you'd realize the futility of buying. If you got some second-price for them, the lesson would not be as thorough.

Doug (let me know if you want my e-mail address)

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/11 23:10:29 (permalink)
    There IS a solution.

It worked for me, and it's quite simple. Don't cure your gearlust, make the time for it.

Around here, there is "production" time, and there is "other" time. (Studio maintennance I guess) Everything is on, but not for composing. Just learning features, setting up templates, exploring banks of sounds, making custom patches. Even this forum counts. Do everything. Get your fill of it.

Then power everything down and go back to your life.

That way, during the next session (production time), things actually go smoother. I can complete something quicker and easier knowing where everything is.

It's been working like a charm.

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/12 00:55:29 (permalink)

I just realised that i've not finished anything for weeks. I've spent loads of time sat here playing with all my nice plugs, made a few bars of bits of nothing, bought some Kjaerhus bits and Audio Damage stuff and so on - i could have written an album. When i had an Ensoniq SQ80 and only that, i was a prolific producer of finished tracks - most were crap, but they were complete. So what do i do? Uninstall everything and go back to basic P5 and its synths - maybe i'd get more done. I've now got a Moog Voyager on the way - childhood dreams to have a minimoog fulfilled. I bet i can spend the next six months getting to know that - another good excuse to sit and not produce the goods .

Monkey

Well, do like I did. Run out of money!

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/12 01:17:53 (permalink)
    I'm presently going through a "rebirth" of sorts myself with this. Just got a new computer, and right now I'm limiting myself to only three programs, with Reaper being the only sequencer. Other than that, it's the bare minimum of effects and instrument plugs. Bare frickin' bones!

I'm already starting to go through Live withdrawl, but I've promised myself I'll wait to see what Live 7 offers before I go back to it. I just keep reminding myself of all the things that annoy me.

But this was all out of necessity; I feel like I've spent the last year chasing my tail with programs, drum solutions, sequencers etc... And I look back and see what little music I've made, compared to the time/money/researching I've done with gear...it's just ridiculous!

More and more I'm liking the idea of having a limited toolbox, and challenging myself to see how much music I can create with it. It's not like I'm missing anything; so if I can't make some great music with all that I already have, then it's obvious I have a real problem...

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/12 05:24:22 (permalink)
    My name is zevo, and I'm a gear-lust-oholic...

All together now: "Hi zevo..."

I feel much better admitting to it. So, now I'm officially in recovery.

In all seriousness, I AM in recovery, pretty much taking fac's tact on it... with a little bit of a twist.
    I'm not taking one thing at a time, but rather groups... same basic principle though: write some tracks from the standpoint of learning the instrument/plugin/whatever.

I'm in my second week of it, and if you push your gear lust aside, and actually use what you have, it's surprising.

So many here now, me included, have (likely) more plugins than they NEED to get the job done. I know 20% of this one... 20% of that one... oh look, there's another one.
    That's not efficient for me, and its expensive, and it really does hinder you, IMO.

I've frozen my studio for the duration of the summer, and until then, or until I get to the 50% usability level of everything I have (which will definitely NOT happen before then) I'm not getting anything else.
    Of course, at the end of the summer, the quads come down to $280... and Vegas 64bit comes out... and my EMU Vista drivers might be ready... and...

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2007/05/12 05:27:30
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/12 06:36:36 (permalink)
    Well i can't afford any of these vst's and not having them has definitely worked in my favour when it comes to producing tracks. I do have zillions of free ones, but i tend to stick to a select few. I did fall into the trap of having too much gear years ago when i had hardware synths and i produced virtually nothing in the way of finished tracks. So there's a lesson for you all.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/12 07:21:06 (permalink)
    Around here, there is "production" time, and there is "other" time ... during the next session (production time), things actually go smoother.
    It works. I've got a ton of stuff here, and I don't take researching a new purchase lightly. That's mainly to avoid the redundant overlap, and tools that'll fall into disuse. So, when something new does arrive, hardware or software, I set aside a block of time to learn it inside & out.

Following that, it's been 'integrated', and I waste very little time later when it comes to deploying it. The key is borrowing the sense of urgency from a recording studio environment. No one's going to pay you while you select an appropriate mic and learn how to set up correctly. Everything possible should be done in advance, with the exception of pushing the Record button. There's enough surprises that crop up after that without adding to them by poor preparation.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/05/12 07:23:07
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/12 08:22:17 (permalink)
    My most productive time was when i had my Casio SK1
    And two tapedecks bouncing tracks till oblivion.

I was 11 years old, heavily into Hip Hop and electronica.

The best equipment for a young sound designer to explore shaping sounds.
    It came with a really good manual explaining the different wave shapes and
    ADSR features to build any instrument like strings, flutes, pianos, kicks, snares etc.

Too bad i broke the SK1 while circuit bending a few years back.
    post edited by naughtyhill - 2007/05/12 08:31:45
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/12 11:55:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mike85021

Monkey

Well, do like I did. Run out of money!

Yeah. Marriage and children is a good way to achieve that.

I don't even buy music mags anymore.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/12 13:46:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fac

Subject A: I failed the Turing test.
    Subject B: What is a Turing test?
    Subject A: I failed the Turing test.

LOL!
    oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/12 21:23:29 (permalink)
    How about this: Force yourself not to buy another piece of kit until you've finished a song (or two, whatever you think you might actually be able to maintain). This way you win both ways - You finish more songs, and there's the "goal" of more "stuff" at the end of the project (besides the song, of course).

Another idea is to force yourself to use new synths in songs. Bought a synth but never used it? Force yourself to use it for the bass track. I do this all the time. Which is why most of my songs have at least five different synths (if not ten) in them. It forces me to learn not only that specific synth, but it also teaches me how certain synths, or synth types, are alike and different from one another. The more you do this, the more you actually realize which synths shine in which scenarios. Some synths really are better for "phatness" (Fabfilter Twin, Styrus), or clarity (Rhino, FM7/8), or "analog" warmth (Massive, kinda, and Sylenth1, big time), or "digital" coldness (Absynth, PSYN). I didn't get these opinions reading marketing copy, they're my own opinion acquired from using these synths myself. I know that some synths just aren't going to work as well in certain circumstances. They do each have their own personality, and sound, and limits.

Having said that, I admit I have way more "gear" than I need. But I never would have determined the above without using them myself, too.

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    badbib
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/13 03:30:44 (permalink)

I just realised that i've not finished anything for weeks.

yeah, me neither, except I don't have any new gear... I just can't come up with anything satisfying...

I blame 2.5.
    ATS
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 877
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/13 03:54:19 (permalink)
    I think it is good to have times where all you do is play around and try out intruments becasue then you get to know them and get ideas. Eventually you will just start creating instead of playing but it will come naturally. At least that is my experience.
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/13 05:38:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: badbib

I just realised that i've not finished anything for weeks.

yeah, me neither, except I don't have any new gear... I just can't come up with anything satisfying...

I blame 2.5.

Me neither. I blame it on the emotinal distress caused by mean people on a certin forum.
    badbib
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: Gear lust Killed my Ability to Complete 2007/05/13 06:53:05 (permalink)

I'm really getting used to your humour Ognis.

now stop whining.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1