Geist 2... Can I import vocals into it and trigger from pads?

Author
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
2017/04/25 17:31:39 (permalink)

Geist 2... Can I import vocals into it and trigger from pads?

I'm considering the 50% of upgrades and never got into Geist due 2 it's dinky GUI.

I'm most interested in it for vocal triggering and mucking around. Use to do this a lot in the old days of hardware samplers and not really interested in the drums per se...

Can I use this as a playground for harmony games? Vamping, triggering different vocal bits, building and playing with harmony ideas and adding rhythms... My mind goes wild with the possibilities but no one seems to be doing this! I can even extend this to guitar riffs... Could be loads of fun.

Is there any limit to sample size, per file and in total and is the quality of sample import/playback good? Most of the vids focus on crap sounds... As no one seems to be doing what I'm considering with this extremely powerful platform, what am I missing here?

I'm first and foremost a vocalist. So, dear Guisters... Am gonna luv this or hate it?

Thanks, dear friends...
post edited by Vastman - 2017/04/25 18:00:25

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 

2 Replies Related Threads

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Geist 2... Can I import vocals into it and trigger from pads? 2017/04/25 17:59:49 (permalink)
    Absolutely. I just picked this up last month, and I think the ability to resize the GUI is going to immediately make you happy. You can display up to 64 pads per engine now (but would avoid that since you immediately lose the advantage to the larger GUI).

Pads are assigned by default to MIDI keys (ref the manual), so you can import, slice, assign, and fire as you choose.

If you used gated mode (on self), there is no limit to the length of the file that I have found yet (i.e., you can put a track on a pad and play the entire thing through in Geist).

As you build things, is best to keep saving the engine you are working on, since can import engines separately, similar to track templates, but are limited to 8 engines total (per instance). This will save pad FX, etc as you build them up.

Not delved much into the transmod stuff yet, but all of the features you mention are there. The GUI resizing was a massive improvement unto itself (but some things are still incredibly hard to hit inside that new GUI).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re: Geist 2... Can I import vocals into it and trigger from pads? 2017/04/25 18:02:43 (permalink)
    Ok... Now I'm stoked... Thanks, Met!
    Seems slicing could be useful also, as long as I can do it manually and isolate phrases...

Could be just what I've been looking for and a big quantum dot 4k will help, once the house closes!

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1