Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jimkleban
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
2010/07/25 21:11:09 (permalink)

Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR

I posted a new version of Lilywhite Lilith up on The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI site.  I spent about a year re-tooling my DAW and getting more tools needed to recreate this track.

For those not familiar, my little ambitious project is to recreate The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway completely with MIDI tracks, triggering sample libraries and mixing the tracks completely "in the box" using software PLUG-INs for the processing.

The site is:

www.lldom.blogspot.com

I also updated to SOUNDCLOUD as my music distribution system which allows downloading of the audio tracks.  If you get some time and want to be entertained, check out the TRACKS page for Lilywhite Lilith where I include a TRACK SHEET for the entire mix and where you can see what software tools were used for each track (pretty interesting).

Thanks and I hope you get a chance to check out the new song.

Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
Apollo Duo (via TB)
UAD Quad
UAD Duo
WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
Splat (latest version)

41 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/25 22:17:13 (permalink)
    I listened to "Lilywhite Lilith", but it sounded to me like the original Genesis version. 'The Colony of Slipperman" didn't sound as much like the original: the synths weren't as good. I don't see what is the point of doing an exact cover of these pieces. As far as I'm concerned, "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is one of the greatest prog rock albums ever. Trying to copy these would be like painting a copy of the Mona Lisa. Why?

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    jimkleban
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/25 22:27:09 (permalink)
    Dave,

I couldn't agree with you more about The Lamb being the greatest PROG ROCK album ever. Sorry you don't see or understand "The Labor of Love" that this is.  I wanted to try and recreate these songs using nothing but SONAR and software tools and it amazes me how we can now create music that just 30 years ago took hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of hardware to create.  The fact that you think Lilywhite sounds like the original version is a real complement and thanks. The hardest part of creating this songs isn't the performances rather the mixing of Johnnie Burns (learning all the parts isn't that easy but easier than getting the mix to sound right).

I should take Slipperman off the play list because I only put that up there as a SOUND CLOUD test and it isn't anywhere near ready for public listening.

Thanks for the feedback and question.

Jim

www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
    Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    Splat (latest version)
    jungfriend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 746
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/25 22:30:50 (permalink)
    I am sure you are learning an incredible amount of information about composition, engineering, production, and performance thorugh this exercise. Do you think you might make some of these tracks available as midi background tracks for those of us who are not as ambitious as you? I would love to perform some of these songs, but, alas, there is not time enough in this world for me to make background tracks as faithful as the ones you are attempting.

Just a simple request from am admirer,
    Paul

Sonar X2 PE, ADK Core i7 920 3.6ghz 12gb, UAD-2 Quad,  2x20"+2x19" LCDs, Focal CMS 50, POD HD500, Layla 3G, PoCo mkII PCI-e, Tranzport, Edirol M-16DX, Remote SL61, Mackie MCU, NI Kore 2, NI Komplete, NI Maschine, etc.
    jimkleban
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/25 22:38:14 (permalink)
    Paul,

Thanks a ton for your kind words... are you wanting the MIDI files themselves or audio tracks?  If you want the MIDI files, I am looking for a spot that can host them so I can provide a link for interested folks to download (does anyone know of any?).

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the feedback.

Jim

www.lldom.com

Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    Splat (latest version)
    daveny5
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/25 22:42:38 (permalink)

I wanted to try and recreate these songs using nothing but SONAR and software tools and it amazes me how we can now create music that just 30 years ago took hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of hardware to create.

That may be true, but I don't see any artistic value in just copying it exactly as it was done before. Sure, you may have done it cheaper, but that's because you didn't have to write the music and lyrics either. Its a nice tribute, but if I want to hear "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" as it was originally recorded, I will pull out the original, not a knockoff. I like to do covers too, but I find the ones I like the best are the ones where I've rearranged the song and made it different from the original. Then I've created something new. 

A good example is the CD by Jordan Rudess, "The Road Home". He took some great prog rock classics and added a more modern sound to them. His "Dance on a Volcano" smokes!
    post edited by daveny5 - 2010/07/25 22:51:29

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    jimkleban
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/25 22:51:18 (permalink)
    Dave,

You sir would be correct on creativity. Think of this as a tribute to Genesis. My goal is to learn the magic that was The Lamb and to share the experience with others on how the recreation was done and not as a "knockoff", trying to misrepresent Genesis.

Jim

www.lldom.com

Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    Splat (latest version)
    dr.hash
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/25 23:00:35 (permalink)
    Snap, I am doing Strawberry Fields and Because in a daw except I'm designing all the sounds, this is for my thesis, for my masters course.  Interesting!!!

Peace and Love Dr.Hash
    http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics
    jungfriend
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/25 23:02:57 (permalink)
    Hi Jim,
    I have a different take on such projects. If there is something you love, and want to know how it works, you pretty much have to recreate it. It's not like there are perfect scores out there that you can reference. Anyway I compliment you on the effort, and recognize the effort that goes into it.

Good luck,
    Paul

Sonar X2 PE, ADK Core i7 920 3.6ghz 12gb, UAD-2 Quad,  2x20"+2x19" LCDs, Focal CMS 50, POD HD500, Layla 3G, PoCo mkII PCI-e, Tranzport, Edirol M-16DX, Remote SL61, Mackie MCU, NI Kore 2, NI Komplete, NI Maschine, etc.
    jimkleban
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/25 23:10:19 (permalink)
    Dr. Hash,

Many of the sounds (instruments) used on the project, were sounds I needed to design to make the song sound more realistic. I also make these "homegrown" sounds FREE to DOWNLOAD for those you might want or need some pretty good sounds for their own use. I guess I could sell them instead but they are only really any good if you want those classic GENESIS sounds.

I would be very interested to hear your Strawberry... I have a version that Andy Partridge did years ago where he tried to recreate the Beatles song precisely using the technology he had at his proposal back then,

Jim

www.lldom.com

Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    Splat (latest version)
    daveny5
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/25 23:42:14 (permalink)
    Folks, please make sure you remember that all of these songs are copyrighted. You can't use them without permission from the copyright owners.

Dave
    jungfriend
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 00:09:21 (permalink)
    Hi Jim,
    Actually the MIDI tracks would be preferable beacuse then I can chose which instruments work for me in performance and which I would prefer to perform myself. Not to worry about copyright infringement for live performance; mostly I like to play the guitar myself and sing the lead vocal. Sometimes I add more with my midi guitar and a laptop.

I am not sure where to upload such tracks for general consumption, but I can let you know where to put them up for my use. Not being selfish, but I have never asked anyone to put up such tracks for use before. Maybe someone else can chime in with an appropriate site?

Paul

jungfriend
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 00:15:32 (permalink)
    And yes, I will be sure to ask permission from the appropriate copywriter if I decide to perform these songs for profit. I often perform for friends and family where such permission is unecessary and that is what I had in mind. Sorry if I gave the impression that it is okay to use copyrighted material in live performance for pay without permission.

Paul

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 00:19:19 (permalink)
    All I know is it sounds good to me.

Best
    John
    vanblah
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 01:29:18 (permalink)
    jungfriend

And yes, I will be sure to ask permission from the appropriate copywriter if I decide to perform these songs for profit. I often perform for friends and family where such permission is unecessary and that is what I had in mind. Sorry if I gave the impression that it is okay to use copyrighted material in live performance for pay without permission.

Paul
    Performers don't have to pay royalties ... the venue/bar does. 

As a performer you would only have to worry about royalties if you were going to record and release the live show.
    post edited by vanblah - 2010/07/26 01:31:00
    dr.hash
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 01:34:28 (permalink)
    jungfriend

Hi Jim,
    I have a different take on such projects. If there is something you love, and want to know how it works, you pretty much have to recreate it. It's not like there are perfect scores out there that you can reference. Anyway I compliment you on the effort, and recognize the effort that goes into it.

Good luck,
    Paul

This is what i am going through at the moment i have learnt the word and the word is listen and you will learn!!!
    My god what george martin and the beatles did with tape i now understand what it is like to be like the guy from kung fu. grasshopper patience you have a lot to learn!!!.
    Peace and Love Ben B.CT (Bachelo of Creative Technology)

soundtweaker
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1036
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 01:45:51 (permalink)
    Check out Kevin Gilbert perform Lamb.
    dr.hash
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 02:06:18 (permalink)
    you try strawberry fields percussion and all.  the session drummer three with rings beat kit detuned and filtered for tea towel sounds.  Just you wait until i get my virtual fairchild limiters.  I'm not scared of anything now that i have programed ringos drum from a score.  Ringo, Ringo, Ringo.

Peace and Love Ben B.CT (Bachelor of Creative Technology)
    www.myspace.com/audiomystics
    jimkleban
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 07:07:17 (permalink)
    Paul,

Concerning the MIDI files, a couple of footnotes to keep in mind.

1) The Drum Tracks use iMAP on not GMIDI.  Squids did a great job in creating this map to allow more articulations to be laid out for drumming. You can find a copy of this keyboard mapping on the eSOUNDZ site.

2) The Guitar tracks are done in something I call gMAP, which coincides with sampling a guitar using all the frets on all the strings wherein each string has its own MIDI channel (which corresponds to the Midi Channel that a midi guitar transmits). Squids iMAP gave me the idea for the gMAP and I sampled all the guitars (Micro Frets Bass, 57 Les Paul and a RICK 12 string) so I could lay them out for gMAP.

Please PM me and I will find a way to send you the MIDI file from this track.

Jim

PS - thanks John

PSS - Hash, if you are writing software to recreate vintage hardware, that is way beyond the scope of my comprehension and it is very impressive.

www.lldom.com

Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    Splat (latest version)
    joegab
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 437
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 08:39:01 (permalink)
    Hello Jim, do you remember me????

Giorgio, (Italy).

Well done!!!

haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 17:36:31 (permalink)
    Great job on this song! 

I like to do covers of songs as close to the original as possible as an exercise for learning mixing techniques.  A couple months ago I did Firth of Fifth as it's one of my favorite Genesis songs.  Doing the drum parts was a very long process!

I mix up doing covers with my originals.  Usually I do the covers to learn how to use new equipment so when I work on the originals, I don't have to think about recording technique.

Jim
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 18:27:09 (permalink)
    PS - thanks John
    No sir thank you!

I wonder where the notion comes from that playing a song made popular by another band is somehow wrong.

To me that idea is relatively new and is I believe due to the ability to record bands. It sure wasn't around in the past. It sure is not something that is in jazz or classical music nor in folk music. Somehow pop music is not to be played ever by someone that did not first perform it. That has nothing to do with who wrote it BTW. How absurd. How anti musician.

Warning story to follow.
    In a party that was very large in NY a few years back a "cover" band performed. I was blown away by their musicianship. Not only were they note for note accurate but the sound was the same as was the feel. No problem one would think except they did this across all genres and styles with absolute fidelity to the original.  From Motown to progressive rock as well as heavy metal. These guys sounded great and were better then many of the bands they covered. I am glad I was there to hear them and be so impressed by them.

All I can say more power to them. 

It shocks me to read fellow forum members finding the silly fact of it not being created meaning composed, by the performer as being a valid reason to not like it. In my book musicianship is to be cherished. 

Best
    John
    dr.hash
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 18:38:52 (permalink)
    jkleban

Dr. Hash,

Many of the sounds (instruments) used on the project, were sounds I needed to design to make the song sound more realistic. I also make these "homegrown" sounds FREE to DOWNLOAD for those you might want or need some pretty good sounds for their own use. I guess I could sell them instead but they are only really any good if you want those classic GENESIS sounds.

I would be very interested to hear your Strawberry... I have a version that Andy Partridge did years ago where he tried to recreate the Beatles song precisely using the technology he had at his proposal back then,

Jim

No sweat Jim, I'm doing Because as well to test out arpeggiator and or step sequencer and of course variphrase.
    The copyright issues are cool, i think that you can release it as long as you pay royalties.  I did a whole semester on this at uni and will have to check my notes.  I was going to try and contact Yoko anyway.  I believe John would wholeheartedly agree with my principles and proposal because he had to beg and wear silly suits to be able to make strawberry fields.  I just have to a few grand and a ton of knowledge.  And i mean a ton of knowledge.  These songs deserves nothing but the best attempt that i can achieve.  I have said for the last week i have become more humble because of these songs and the mastery that was put into them.  from johns writing, the Beatles (Ringo's) playing and George Martin and Geoff Emerick.  And i am not sucking up, i have the knowledge and the authority to say this, it is impossible in to do this in any other DAW.

Peace and Love Ben B.CT (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 18:40:57 (permalink)
    Nice post John.

Nice job jkleban.

best regards,
    mike

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 18:55:15 (permalink)
    Thanks Mike. I appreciate that.

Best
    John
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 19:01:15 (permalink)
    :-)

gwp99
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 507
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 19:01:30 (permalink)
    Very nice job - I seem to recall visiting your site a while back and I was impressed them.

Although you are using software for the amps/guitars, I assume you are tracking actual guitars (and not midi tracks)?

I have seen Dream Theater do the complete cover version of Dark Side of the Moon - note for note - they didn't seem to have a creative-issue with their project.  And the fact that you have been at this all these years, you should be commended on your commitment.

Please keep us updated as you progress - and especially the midi files - these would be very helpful from a learning prospective for many of us.

Thanks again for sharing.

X1E-64bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Sonica Labs Hush QT- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66G, 8GB  RAM, RME Fireface UFX (using Firewire), 3 eSata internal/many external hdd's    
    jimkleban
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 19:06:27 (permalink)
    I get questioned often on why I do these covers and people don't see my motive (with which I am cool).  I do this for the true love of this music and the desire to actually decode the magic. The music is the relatively easy part, the mixing is the real challenge.

But, I do appreciate all the pleasant comments about the project and am happy that others can enjoy the music as well.  

Keeping the "Lamb" alive,

Jim

www.lldom.com

Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    Splat (latest version)
    dr.hash
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 19:55:43 (permalink)
    jkleban

I get questioned often on why I do these covers and people don't see my motive (with which I am cool).  I do this for the true love of this music and the desire to actually decode the magic. The music is the relatively easy part, the mixing is the real challenge.

But, I do appreciate all the pleasant comments about the project and am happy that others can enjoy the music as well.  

Keeping the "Lamb" alive,

Jim
    Yea I'm with you Jim i want to know how this stuff is/was done.  I'm also interested in doing this because i don't think producers/engineers and artists know **** about music making today.  I'm sure there is great stuff that i have not heard out there though.  With the technology today and this is speculation imagine what The Beatles could have done with it, as i said speculation.
    We have technology that should, with the right people absolutely blow The Beatles and their songs out of the water.  Of course there is a problem with this and that is music is further down the pecking order in terms of importance and importance as an entertainment.  this i think is holding us back.  I now know i was in kindergarten with my music. 
    After doing this as my main projeckt for my thesis, that is putting together two Beatles songs in a daw.  I now have the keys to the kingdom.  I wish everybody who wanted to be a producer/engineer or artist went through what i am going through.
    I have learnt so much, its not about the sound or the technology.  It's about the song and the experimentation and above all it's about being an artist and pushing the limits of technology.
    Imagine the music that would be being made if this was taught at audio school rather than Pro-Tools or you must mike a drum kit this way.

Viva la revoloution Ben B.CT (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)

jimkleban
    Re:Genesis - The Lamb completely recreated using SONAR 2010/07/26 21:09:15 (permalink)
    GWP...

The guitar tracks are all MIDI tracks as well (I created them using a MIDI guitar controller) and then I have the freedom to try different sample sets against the performance.  In the end, I would up using my 57 Les Paul samples (Steve used a 57 LP tracking the Lamb) and it sounded best compared to the commercial guitar sample sets (I don't have any articulations, just multi velocity samples of each note of each string, so the bends and slides are the MIDI data recorded when I played the guitar).

Dr. H - I often wondered myself what the creative minds of the sixties and seventies would/could have done with today's technology but the beauty of what they did create, was limited to the technology of the day and it their creativity still amazes me to this day.

Jim

www.lldom.com

Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    Splat (latest version)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1