George Michael Reverb

Author
BluerecordingStudios
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 916
2005/11/22 17:11:16 (permalink)

George Michael Reverb

How can be achieved that great reverb like George Michael have in song "Jesus To A Child"??????

9 Replies Related Threads

chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: George Michael Reverb 2005/11/23 21:11:36 (permalink)
    Would you mind posting a 30-second clip?
    BluerecordingStudios
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 916
    RE: George Michael Reverb 2005/11/24 02:52:54 (permalink)
    And can I do this? {copyright????}
    gullfo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: George Michael Reverb 2005/11/28 16:50:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BluerecordingStudios
    And can I do this? {copyright????}

yes - its called "fair use" - in this context you're asking a question about the reverb of some vocal so provide a short clip demo'ing the vocal as short as possible so the effect can be clearly heard. if it only is 10-30 seconds it should be enough to decipher the effect and not come anywhere close to being a copyright violation...
    post edited by gullfo - 2005/11/28 16:51:28

Glenn 
    www.runnel.com

fairychild
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: George Michael Reverb 2005/11/28 17:42:03 (permalink)
    of course it's a copyright violation! u arent allowed to distribute anything of protected songs. but who cares if it's only a few seconds and within a forum along with a how-is-it-down question.. the RIAA people have more serious problems to deal with :)
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    RE: George Michael Reverb 2005/11/28 19:32:24 (permalink)

How can be achieved that great reverb like George Michael have in song "Jesus To A Child"??????

First off, the man has an incredible voice, so he can put it out there by itself like that. There is so very little happening behind the singing that you can enjoy the hugness of the reverb as he works it with that bequtiful rich tone that he has.

The reverb device itself (or possibly selves) is probably the best one available on the planet at the time of the recording, being fed with a multi-thousand dollar microphone/pre-amp combination, but that aside...

If I remember correctly one of the things that struck me when I heard that song was how much pre-delay he had used, and the fact that he really had the top end happening on the reverb tail. I theorize that he may have fed more than one reverb with a mult from the voice channel. I suspect that a heavily compressed and EQ'd signal was pre-delayed to one reverb for the sizzling top end tail, and a more regular voice went to another one with more natural settings for the warmth.

Honestly though, this is just how I would try to do it.

Rod

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    fairychild
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: George Michael Reverb 2005/11/29 06:30:52 (permalink)
    sounds to me like a simple reverb with just a full respone in the upper frequency domain and with less damping there too. actually i find this really disturbing
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: George Michael Reverb 2005/11/30 13:39:44 (permalink)
    I've heard George Michael got his reverb by singing his parts in a public restroom in a Beverly Hills park... oh never mind, that was something else entirely.
    DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: George Michael Reverb 2005/12/04 08:27:01 (permalink)
    actually i find this really disturbing

As do I.

I can't say for sure, but this track might have been one of those that was recorded after he dumped Sony (or Sony dumped him, depending on whom you believe), and one of the parameters to the label/artist separation, as I recall hearing, was that he would have more control over the mixing of his recordings. This might explain why he chose to use that "sizzling" reverb; ( distracting to me anyway). Maybe he liked it... I don't know.

I would also agree, that while not a GM fan, that he does indeed have a great voice, so part of the sound is most definitely him. Having access to a multi-thousand dollar mic like a C24 or a U-47 doesn't hurt either, although as far as I'm concerned, there's so much effect on this track that it kind of negates everything else used.

If you listen to tracks like "Careless Whispers" for example, the reverb is just as present, but it's a much different reverb than on "Jesus"... warmer, richer.. if I had to lay money down I'd say Lexicon PCM.

To answer your question, based on the time it was recorded, it could have been anything from a Lexicon to a Roland. By the mid '90's, there was an uncountable slew of reverb units available in all calibers, prices and configs. If you want to emulate this, try an upper range boost, either on the reverb output or on the FX return of around 5-8k, and allow a trail of around a second. (Which doesn't sound like much, unless you're used to working with reverb paramters, in which case it's an eternity.

And, as Rod mentioned, don't discount the possibility that they were using multiple reverb units/patches at once and employing pre delays and multiple room sizes.

Either way, IMHO, it really detracts from the voc perfomance...it's distracting.

FWIW

D.
    jamesgxyz
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: George Michael Reverb 2006/01/01 14:40:13 (permalink)

You might like to check out this article in Sound on Sound which describes the recording of the entire "Older" album: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996_articles/jul96/georgemichael.html

This is a great song, but I also love "that" reverb. Sounds like it's based on a plate setting - my Lexicon MPX1 sounds fairly similar if you take a preset called "vocal plate" and increase the length a lot. None of my plugins will sound like it, but then I only have free ones and ones that came with Sonar.

From the article:

"Despite the fact that parts of Older display some rare, dry-sounding vocals, the production of Michael's voice on torch ballads such as 'Jesus To A Child' has been traditionally notable for the use of long, lush reverbs. Debate over the processing used on that track in particular continues on the pro audio sectors of the Internet, but Gomersall provides the definitive answer. "It used to be the old EMT plate on the Wham! records, but we don't even plug it in any more. It hums too much. So we now put his vocals through a range of Lexicon gear -- the 224X, 480 and PCM80. I prefer the 224X to the 480 because it sounds a little warmer, and the PCM80 is from the same family. George's favoured vocal mic is a Neumann U49"

tj
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1