Get an audio click double speed?

Author
rmftc
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2017/07/21 07:57:53 (permalink)

Get an audio click double speed?

This is my project:

I have a professional multitrack (Don't Get Me Wrong - Pretenders; it's a cover) with an audio click track. The piece is originally in somewhat 204 bpm, but the mt's click is in ca. 102. Additionally, bpm is varying over time, which is not a bug, but by design ... :-( )

Now, our drummer asked for the dobble click ... Hm. Question is: how can that be done? As it is an audio click, plus varying over time, it need to be "calculated" by referencing to the original click track and to "just" add another click in the middle of two clicks (hoping that this still maintaining the time with sufficient accuracy). Can this be done with a workflow with Sonar Platinum and it's tools? Would that be possible with the Drum Replacer eventually? Can the Drum Replacer add notes according to rules or so? (You see, I'm a Drum Replacer newbe ...)

What I did so far is to copy the original click to another track and moved it half-beat forward, but the result was a subtle echo further up down the song; terrible, bad, unusable ...

So, any other ideas to get it done?

Thanks and regards,
André

Hi ho silver!

8 Replies Related Threads

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Get an audio click double speed? 2017/07/21 10:46:07 (permalink)
    right click on the metronome to open the metronome options.
    where it says "Beat Subdivisions" change that to 1/2.

No need for any fancy stuff (like Drum Replacer) This is an easy one man .
    Have fun.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

rmftc
    Re: Get an audio click double speed? 2017/07/21 12:53:36 (permalink)
    Well, Chuck, not quite.

You're referring to the builtin click that is clicking the time with the speed setting set in the tempo field. Nicely and plain ... this is not what I'm after, because the song I've got has a varying click, included as a separate audio track. Don't ask me if they couldn't record it with a fixed speed. I think, they just tried to pick up the original recording as much as possible ... and that was just not plain speed.

Also, I don't know of any synch possibility between some audio track (the click track) and a click coming from sonar. If the sonar click is just unaware of what happens on the audio click track the multitrack has been recorded with, it will not be possible to get any usable click from that. Sorry, Chuck, that's not a way to get it ...

Any other ideas out there? Where are the smart guys from Cakewalk??? :-)

André

rmftc
    Re: Get an audio click double speed? 2017/07/21 12:56:14 (permalink)
    But, of course, thanks Chuck, for spending your time thinking about my problem ... ;-) Always appreciated!!

And btw, here is that wicked track in case it helps to understand what I need ... :-)
    - click: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbii1z9lfx2gam6/01%20click.mp3?dl=0

And to get the context:
    - drums: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cw7k60s9vyx9woq/02%20drums.mp3?dl=0
    - main voice: https://www.dropbox.com/s...%20main%20vox.mp3?dl=0

Cheers,
    André
    post edited by rmftc - 2017/07/21 13:46:41
    VariousArtist
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1397
    Re: Get an audio click double speed? 2017/07/22 14:30:32 (permalink)
    Why not create a tempo map from that varying click, by using Sonar's built in feature that leverages Melodyne for this purpose? Basically you drag the audio click track up onto the timeline at the top of the track view and it will auto-generate a varying tempo map for you.

Then...do what Chuckebaby said above.
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Get an audio click double speed? 2017/07/22 15:05:56 (permalink)

If you have an tempo audio track, why not just use copy/paste in the parts you need a double tempo ?
    Example: With Snap enabled, Hold CNTRL and drag the whole (Audio tempo) track 1/2 beat to the right.

Unless you use Melodyne or tempo map it, there is no secret potion here.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

rmftc
    Re: Get an audio click double speed? 2017/07/22 18:05:57 (permalink)
    Various Artist, thanks for that hint ... I haven't even activated Melodyne yet (too complicated for me ... ;-)), but will get it started by now ... that really may work. I'll post if I could get it ...

Chuck, ok, you suggested just what I did try first already (check my initial post!), but I'd experience that "subtle echo" down the song ... (well, it's now clear to me, that it cannot work this way: if I forward the copy of the click track by a fixed time (e.g. half beat of the first bar) AND the click track varies over time the "half beat" distance of that first bar will not be the same half beat step in each and every part of the song  ... result: just not usable ...
    (just check: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr4e04ax78je0pc/Don%27t%20Get%20Me%20Wrong%20-%20half%20beat%20forward.mp3?dl=0)

Your suggestion to "enable snap" makes my head scratch, too ... I do not understand, to what "snap enabled" should snap to if there is no tempo awareness of sonar ... There are just a couple of plain audio files ... if I could tell sonar to check out the click track I indeed could start using sonar internal tools to snap to whatever I want to ... but this is still a mystery to me. (Indeed, maybe Melodyne will do the trick ...)

I'm not used to go with Melodyne so far; I may need some time to familiarize with it, but I will post the procedure once I could make it ... (just to enable all who got stuck with the same problem ...)

Anyway, thanks for all of your tipps and hints so far!

Best,
    André

PS.: for the export I compiled
    - the original click track,
    - the "half beat (first bar)  forwarded" click track,
    and for the context:
    - the drums,
    - the bass and
    - the main voice;
    from the first chorus latest it should be clear that this is not the way ...)

PS2: thanks for sharing these nicely crafted audios, Chuck! :-)

35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Get an audio click double speed? 2017/07/22 20:14:41 (permalink)
    As already suggested, the feature you want to use for this is to drag your audio click track onto the timeline to let Sonar create a tempo map from it - that's exactly why that feature is there! Then use the metronome set to half steps.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    rmftc
    Re: Get an audio click double speed? 2017/07/23 11:35:12 (permalink)
    Well, what I could figure out so far:

Making Sonar aware of the time in a click track:
    - get the first click, set the timecode and bar/count to now (menu "Project"; note: the first click need to be bar 2!)
    - separate the track at this position; now: bar 2:1
    - check snap to a uncritical measure (e. g.: 1/4)
    - drag the main clickfile into the timeline and let Sonar do it's works
    - set the meter to 4/8
    That's it with Sonar. Very nice feature! (Thanks, Various Artists and 35mm! Just wasn't aware of that feature ...)

With Melodyne there are even more possibilities (of course, always after letting Melodyne read the tracks):
    - show (and edit) the time line visually, also
    - export it to a midi file for further usage (though could not yet get a useful midi from it, but this may be, because of being at the very beginnning of my leaning curve with Melodyne ...)
    - getting the timing even from complex input tracks (amazing!)
    - straighten the timing to an intended extend
    - determine a bpm value before the track get imorted, Melodyne alignes timing according to the the given setting!!
    Definitely worth to be checked ...

Best,
    André

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1