Helpful ReplyGetting Started with SONAR LE

Author
Robin Kelly [Roland]
Genuinely Swell Guy
  • Total Posts : 571
2009/01/22 14:33:37 (permalink)

Getting Started with SONAR LE

If you have SONAR LE you might be wondering how to get started. The videos below will take you through the basics of using SONAR LE. Although the videos were made in SONAR Home Studio and SONAR the techniques are the same.

Basic overview video

How to set-up Audio & MIDI Recording on a PC

Recording Audio and MIDI

Using soft synths via the synth rack

Using the mixing console

Many packages include Dimension LE - This video will take you through the basics of Dimension LE

Hope that helps!

Robin
post edited by Robin Kelly [Cakewalk] - 2009/01/22 14:50:51
billinbarrie
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 136
RE: Getting Started with SONAR LE 2009/02/17 10:28:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby timeric 2016/02/05 11:30:27
The tutorials in Sonar LE are very confusing and frustrating and generally lead the reader in circles. I've had if for over a year and I still haven't figured out even the basics. Judging by the comments from Sonar users, in forums on other websites, it's a common complaint. The HELP feature is a joke. There is no way to search for topics, and some of the "definitions" have two word answers. Is there a detailed printed manual that explains how to use the software? Thanks
techead
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4353
RE: Getting Started with SONAR LE 2009/02/17 15:11:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: billinbarrie

The tutorials in Sonar LE are very confusing and frustrating and generally lead the reader in circles. I've had if for over a year and I still haven't figured out even the basics. Judging by the comments from Sonar users, in forums on other websites, it's a common complaint. The HELP feature is a joke. There is no way to search for topics, and some of the "definitions" have two word answers. Is there a detailed printed manual that explains how to use the software? Thanks

Try the SONAR Power! series of books.
billinbarrie
RE: Getting Started with SONAR LE 2009/02/17 21:03:23 (permalink)
Ya it's nice that the Power Rangers are working for you now, but I don't see anything about SonarLE there. Do you read the messages before you answer them? Was SonarLE like Microsoft Millenium? A mistake nobody wants to admit? Your CEO should be made aware of these issues. All of your jobs are at stake.
techead
RE: Getting Started with SONAR LE 2009/02/17 22:44:58 (permalink)

Ya it's nice that the Power Rangers are working for you now, but I don't see anything about SonarLE there. Do you read the messages before you answer them? Was SonarLE like Microsoft Millenium? A mistake nobody wants to admit? Your CEO should be made aware of these issues. All of your jobs are at stake.

Yes, I read messages before replying to them. Why are you so rude? You like that all that time?

The SONAR Power! books explain SONAR well and most of what is in most any of them apply to nearly all versions of SONAR. Some of what is in them may be version specific. Each new version of a Power book covers a lot of the same material as a previous version but adds new material specific to the new version of SONAR for which it is written. There are two versions of SONAR LE. The first version of SONAR LE is based on SONAR 4 so try that if you have SONAR LE (4). The second version of SONAR LE is based on SONAR 6 so try that if you have SONAR LE (6).

SONAR LE is only available as an OEM software package bundled by hardware manufacturers like Edirol and Emu with their music hardware. If you need more features than are available in SONAR LE then Cakewalk offers SONAR LE licensees like yourself special upgrade pricing to SONAR Studio Edition or SONAR Producer Edition (so you don't even have to pay full price).
techead
RE: Getting Started with SONAR LE 2009/02/17 23:14:43 (permalink)
Looking back, I see the same question was asked a year ago and several resources were given:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=1327804

I'm new to SonarLE and I'm trying to learn use it with the tutorials. They are text-based though with scarce diagrams. They tell me to do things, like "right click on the FX field of an audio track" as if I'm supposed to know where that is. If I told you to put your finger on the greater tuberosity of your humerus, you wouldn't know where that was unless I gave you a picture of the bones of your shoulder with an arrow pointing to your greater tuberosity. Is there some place to go to get pictures of what they're talking about? It's definitly not in the help menu. Thanks! Bill

ORIGINAL: techead

Welcome to the forums, Bill!

There are some great SONAR resources out there on the Internet, in videos, and in books. Here are some pointers:

SONAR Power Books by Scott Garrigus
SONAR User's Wiki by friendly SONAR users
SONAR Videos by Cakewalk
Cakewalk SONAR YouTube Videos by Cakewalk and/or end-users
Cakewalk Store as well as other sources (do a web search) have SONAR tutorials on DVD

As for your example about the FX field of an audio track: just insert a new audio track (use the "Insert" drop down menu). Examine the new track that is added to your project. You'll find that it has an area of its graphical user interface called an Effects Bin. You can right-click in the FX bin and select new effects to be inserted into that track. The SONAR graphical user interface is absolutely loaded with practicaly functionality which is a good thing but can be overwhelming at first until one gets the hang of it. Very carefully explore every little nook in the GUI.

post edited by techead - 2009/02/17 23:20:13
daniel22
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Getting Started with SONAR LE 2009/02/18 16:00:45 (permalink)
Bob,

Thanks for the input. I have SONAR LE 6 also and I was trying to figure out which version of the SONAR Power book to get... now I know!

-daniel-
VinylJunkie
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 939
RE: Getting Started with SONAR LE 2009/02/18 16:24:26 (permalink)
Your CEO should be made aware of these issues. All of your jobs are at stake.

You are aware that is is a peer to peer forum - it's not Tech Support.

VJ
billinbarrie
RE: Getting Started with SONAR LE 2009/03/05 21:38:47 (permalink)
When I bought SonarLE, knowing nothing about the industry, I thought LE was like in cars where it means Limited Edition. Something special. It really means Light Edition. Half of what is in Sonar is not there, including an instruction booklet. The only help you have is the tutorials. The first paragraph in the first tuturial tells you to open the Cakewalk TTS soft synth. It's not even included in Cakewalk! I spent a year of my life trying to figure out how to use LE and blaming myself for being incapable of learning to use it. I just upgraded to the new Sonar8 (buy it) and I discovered that the tutorials in LE are the tutorials for the full program. They didn't rewrite them for LE! No wonder I was lost in a fog for a year! After 2 hours with Sonar8 and tutorials that talk about features it actually has, I've already recorded an awesome song. Why should someone have to buy a book, that in LE's case probably still doesn't address things it doesn't have, to understand the software they paid money for?
Artiglio
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: RE: Getting Started with SONAR LE 2012/06/08 15:34:27 (permalink)
I absolutely agree with the other posters here complaining about the quality of Sonar LE instructions. It is easily the worst set of instructions I have ever met. Learning the damn software is impossible, it keeps referring by name to panels and stuff that were never explained or shown. I see no reason to pay to upgrade an awful, unusable product. If I have to pay, I'll buy another software instead of financing the company responsible for this mess.
Damien Thorn
  • Total Posts : 30
Re: RE: Getting Started with SONAR LE 2012/06/11 19:14:01 (permalink)
I had someone come to my house and I had no idea what I was talking about. I have a mixer thats beyond my comprehention because I never recorded prior. I didnt know what left and right was and I didnt know they ran thru the aux 1 and 2. Hands on has been killer. Noww I have to learn to kill my bad habits. Someone out there need to make a video of..."OK. You have your mixer and the Sonar 8.5 program disc. First put the disc in the computer and download it. Then put this XLR cable in here." So one and so forth. Beginning to end. Kindergarden teaching

**Computer - Built, Intel Core i5-2300 (true 4 core but has 8 core), 8gb RAM, 2.8GHz(pushes to 3.2), 1.5 TB HD, Windows 7(home premium), 64-bit OS.

**Hardware - SonarLE 8.5, Allen & Health zed 14 mixer(USB), MLX 990 pencil/big boy combo condencer mics, set of RPG2 monitors, XLR cables other than guitars. 
Artiglio
Re: RE: Getting Started with SONAR LE 2012/06/23 08:58:15 (permalink)
I wonder who is the mentally challenged who compiled the "getting started" part. Just an example, the manual is all the same anyway: Quoting from tutorial 3, recording vocals and musical instrument: "3. Click the Input drop-down menu to select the track’s input. The available inputs for the track are displayed" THERE IS NO MENU CALLED INPUT. NOWHERE. YOU DID NOT MENTION IT BEFORE. THERE IS NO PICTURE TO SHOW WHERE IT COULD POSSIBLY HIDE. YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO TECHNICAL WRITERS AROUND THE WORLD, AND THE ONLY PERSON WHO SHOULD BE FIRED BEFORE YOU IS THE INCOMPETENT WHO HIRED YOU. This cesspool is unusable, I'll go Cubase.
Artiglio
Re: RE: Getting Started with SONAR LE 2012/06/23 11:31:58 (permalink)
Ah, the sweet revenge. Just went in a music shop to buy a sound card, and specified beforehand I did not want any Roland, Boss or anything that contained Sonar or Cakewalk. I'm happily unpacking my Line6 Pod Studio, Live Lite software included. Refreshing.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1