Helpful ReplyGetting a Controller map for A-500

Author
hwy_dave
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 52
2011/06/15 17:23:42 (permalink)

Getting a Controller map for A-500

Hey guys,

I just bought a A-500 Pro controller to use with various Sonar applications (Home Studio, LE, 8, etc.) and I'm having a real tough time creating a controller map. I'm able to access to Options-Controller Surface's dialogue box, and I've been able to work with maps as long as I use either the "Generic Cakewalk Surface" or the "ACT Midi controller" but when I try to enter my A-Pro it doesn't come up in the drop-down box where you assign properties or in at the bottom of the "Tools" menu (the others do).

I'm sortof getting by with the generic presets but things would make more sense if I could access the midi controlls through an interface that matches my controller. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

David
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/15 18:14:22 (permalink)
Does this explain your issue?:

One possible point of confusion when setting up ACT the first time is the initial settings in the Controller/Surface Settings dialog box.  The instructions say to set the input port to A-Pro 2.  When I went to do this, A-Pro 2 did not appear as an option in the drop down list.  Clicking MIDI Devices and enabling A-Pro 2 was all it took to make things right.

This was copied and pasted from a much lengthier set of guidelines I wrote shortly after struggling to get my A-Pro set up.  Just gave it a bump, so it's near the top of the queue if you want to read more.
S.Wallis
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 269
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/16 07:42:12 (permalink)
Here's how i have mine set-up, and it's fully working... I'll apoligise for over explaining everything, it's because i'm going to write a new tutorial for Sonar X1 so i can copy some of this info when i come to write that.

(In Sonar X1, press P to open the main options menu, and under the midi section, click devices).
In anything before X1, click options, then midi devices.

Next, tick everything. For the inputs, you should have A-PRO MIDI IN, A-PRO 1 and A-PRO 2. For outputs you should have A-PRO MIDI OUT and A-PRO.

Next, click Control Surfaces (still in the midi section for X1, or for pre-X1, click options, controllers/surfaces).

Click the yellow star to add a new control surface. You should now be able to select "A-PRO" from the Controller/Surface drop down menu. Select A-PRO and for the in port select A-PRO2, and for the out port select A-PRO. (Not "A-PRO MIDI OUT", just "A-PRO".)

Now when you open the control surface edting page, you should see a copy of your A-PRO on the screen.

If the above doesn't fix you're problem, have you installed the A-PRO as a control surface aswell as a keyboard? (There's 2 installers).

If not (or if you don't know) you can get it from here http://www.cakewalk.com/S...eader.aspx/2007012938#

In my opinion, setting up the A-PRO to be registered by Sonar is just the beginning of actually setting the whole thing up. You might want to check out my tutorial, and the posts that come after the tutorial to learn a lot more about the A-PRO. You can find my tutorial here - http://forum.cakewalk.com...;m=2077977&mpage=1

Another very good tutorial can be found here http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2181430 This tutorial is more indepth than mine because it explains how to set-up the A-PRO without ACT (but i don't know why anyone would want to do this inside Sonar) and it shows how to edit midi cc data (so you can have one of the sliders as the control for mod wheel, instead of the (frankly stupid) spring loaded mod wheel on the A-PRO.

Finally, i'm going to write a new tutorial for the A-PRO to try and get everything in one place. It's not going to include setting up the A-PRO without ACT though so the above link is still the best place to look for that. Instead, i'm going to call it "A-PRO - Everything I Know" and it will just be (hopefully) very useful information.

hwy_dave
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/16 08:29:37 (permalink)
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies but I'm still baffled.

I do have all of my midi devices selected and have access to them in the Controller/Surface dialogue box. I hit the yellow square and am able to add a controller, however if I select the A-PRO as my controller surface (with the correct input/output settings) I am still unable to access the properties in either the drop-down (which remains blank) or at the bottom the Tools menu. The only way I've been able to access controller/surface properties is if I select "Cakewalk Generic Surface" or "ACT MIDI Controller" - if I use those, they do come up in the drop-down.

And I'm 99% sure I've installed my A-PRO as a controller as well as a plugin but I tried the link and installed it again just to be sure and still got nothing.

I'm not sure what to try next. Thanks again for the help.

-DF
S.Wallis
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/16 09:26:10 (permalink)
I don't think it should make a difference, but is the ACT button lit on the A-PRO? If not, press it, and see if that fixes it.

Also, have you tried restarting Sonar? (If you had this problem a while ago and you've since restarted Sonar then obviously restarting won't fix it). But i remember from setting it up that i had to restart Sonar before i could use the transport controls.

On the main Sonar track page, do you have little numbers to the left of the track numbers? You should have numbers 1-8 with a coloured background (only if you have tracks though, so if you only have 3 tracks, then you'll only see little number 1-3. If you see those numbers, double click on any of them and it should open the control surface properties page.

One more thing, are you saying you can't select A-PRO from the drop down menu that's near the audio engine on/off and reset buttons? What happens when you click the icon (to the right of the audio engine buttons) to open the control surface properties page?
post edited by S.Wallis - 2011/06/16 09:28:07
hwy_dave
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/16 10:12:45 (permalink)
Hey S. Wallis,

Let's see... First, I did try to add the A-500 with the ACT light on and it didn't work - but I thought it was a good idea and hoped it would for a second.

I have tried restarting Sonar and my computer a few times. My computer is actually brand new, like 2 days old and I'm also using a new copy of Sonar LE that came with the A-500 (though I've also been trying to get this to work on my older copy of Sonar Home Studio.

About the track numbers and color-coded representation of the controller, yes I can see them and I can also open the properties page by clicking on the numbers as well as the icon near the audio engine (though mine's on the left) - the problem is I can't get my A-PRO entered in the Options-Controller Surfaces dialogue box so it dosen't come up in the dropdown and no colored boxes or numbers appear in the track view. The only way I can get a populated drop-down or the colored boxes/numbers is by selecting the "Cakewalk Generic Surface" or the "ACT MIDI COntroller" (as opposed to the A-Pro) in the Controller Surface Settings box. So I've been able to get controller properties up, just not for my controller.

I hope I explained that alright, thanks again for your help.
-DF
S.Wallis
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/16 11:25:37 (permalink)
When you say you "can't get the A-PRO entered in the controller/surfaces box", do you mean it isn't listed there? Or it's there but you can't click on it? Or something else?...

When i click options, controllers/surfaces, click the yellow star to add a new controller/surface, after setting everything up and pressing ok, after a few seconds wait, it automatically adds the A-Pro to the controller/surfaces table (where you have controller/surface, input port and output port in rows across). It also automatically adds the A-Pro to the drop down menu to the left of the audio engine, and the coloured numbers appear in the track view.

I'm guessing yours doesn't automatically do that when you select A-Pro from the pop up that opens when you click the little yellow star to add a new controller?

I have two main questions...

1. When you click the yellow star (square) to add a new controller, after you select A-Pro for the controller/surface, and the input port to A-PRO 2 and out port to A-PRO, and then press ok, what happens? Can you see what the in and out ports are listed as? And does it say A-PRO-1 to the left of the input port? After you've done that, when you click Tools, what's the bottom option? Does it say A-PRO and you just can't click it (like it's greyed out) or does it not even say A-PRO?

2. When you say you "can't get the A-PRO entered in the controller/surfaces box", do you mean it isn't listed there? Or it's there but you can't click on it? Or something else?..
post edited by S.Wallis - 2011/06/16 11:39:02
hwy_dave
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/16 12:30:15 (permalink)
Yep, when I select the A-PRO as my controller surface, nothing appears in the dropdown box.

If I hit the yellow star and select the A-Pro, I'm able to enter in the Input Port: A-Pro 2, and the Output Port: A-Pro, and then I'm back at the table page where it does list the A-Pro-1 under the "Controller/Surface" field but the coresponding Input/Output fields on the table are blank (I am able to fill those in w/ a drop down but it doesn't help Sonar to recognize the controller).

After I've filled the table out so it lists Controller: A-Pro-1, Inport: A-Pro 2, and Output: A-Pro, then I hit close and basically nothing happens. The drop-down remains blank, nothing is listed, and when I click tools the bottom option is Cakewalk Plug-in manager (Note: When I use the generic cakewalk surface, that shows up as the bottom option).

This might help: When I go back to Options-Controller Surface, the Input/Output fields have reverted to blank again, no matter how many times I enter the data.

This is a tough one.

-DF
hwy_dave
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/16 13:19:35 (permalink)
OK, I think I'm on to something now.

I checked in the Tools- Plug-in manager under control surfaces and although it lists all of the options I get from the yellow star Add Controller Surface box (including A-Pro), when I highlight a particular surface, say RedRover or Edriol (this is still in the plug-in magr) it lists both the File Name and something called "CLSID", however when I highlight the A-Pro the filname field is blank.

This led me to suspect that I have a missing or misplaced .dll file for A-Pro, and I seemed to be on the right track when I noticed that my A-Pro .dll file was in a different directory than the others (One in Program files and one in program files (x86). So anyway, I copied it into both directories to be sure, thinking I figured it out, but lo and behold it still didn't work.

Still, I think this has something to do with the problem.

-DF
S.Wallis
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/16 13:40:07 (permalink)
I think so too aswell. Is there a seperate plug-in for 64 bit? (I'm assuming you're using a 64 bit system...)

Something else you might want to try... Find your VST folder on your computer, and look in Cakewalk's "Shared Components" folder. Open the "Shared Surfaces" folder, and do you see the APRO.dll there? If it's not there, try copying it to that folder, and running a vst scan again, and adding the A-PRO again.

When you copied the files into both folders, did the file name (for the A-PRO) still not appear in the plug-in manager? I'm assuming it didn't (because you said that didn't work) but i just wanted to make sure.

So yeah, see if the APRO.dll is inside the Shared Surfaces folder, that is inside the Shared Components folder, that is inside your VST folder. If it's there, let me know. If it's not there, copy it to there and run a VST scan again. Try adding it again (by clicking the yellow star to add a new controller). If that doesn't work, it's a long shot, but restart Sonar and try again.

Let me know how you get on.
hwy_dave
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/16 14:11:46 (permalink)
Well, I still can't it to work. I've put the APRO.dll file in the shared surfaces folder (where the others are), unistalled/re-istalled, put it other directories like shared componants, VST plugins. I've probably got APRO.dll on about 5 seperate directories and every time I do the VST scan from the plug-in mgr. I still come up empty-handed.

It's weird cause it lists the A-Pro as one of my register plugins, but it lacks the file name/path while all of the other include this info.

Hmmm, I'm out of ideas.

-DF
hwy_dave
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/16 17:25:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Genius Animus 2015/04/05 23:34:45
Ok, I solved it and since the fix was so strange I figured I should post it in case anyone else runs out of better options.

Basically, the fix was to install the 32-bit version of the Control SUrface plugin even though my machine is 64 bit. I'm not sure why this worked and I basically stumbled upon it out of desperation. Maybe someone knows what happened or maybe it's just luck. Anyway, problem solved - thanks for the help.

-DF
S.Wallis
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/17 04:46:09 (permalink)
I'd heard that you needed to install 32 and 64 bit drivers if you're using 32 and 64 bit Sonar, but i never would have guessed that you needed to install 32 bit drivers on a 64 bit exclusive system. How strange.

Well, i'm glad you figured it out. If you need any more help or info i'll do my best to help.
post edited by S.Wallis - 2011/06/17 04:48:18
sykodelic
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 612
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/19 17:13:38 (permalink)
I may be mistaken but I believe the LE version is 32 bit only which would explain why you needed to load 32 bit drivers

Asus P8P67 pro, I7 2600K, 8G Kingston Hyperflex, 2 1T WD Caviar Black(sytem,audio), 2T WD Caviar Black(samples), RME Multiface, Roland A500 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate 64, Sonar X1C, Ableton Live 8, Reason 6, Komplete 7, DCAM Synth Squad, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trillian
S.Wallis
Re:Getting a Controller map for A-500 2011/06/20 14:14:38 (permalink)
Ahhhhh. Of course... Very good point.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1