Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
2014/06/09 02:20:02 (permalink)

Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments

Hey guys.  An article from the latest Soundbytes online magazine. http://soundbytesmag.net/ 

This article covers basic MIDI performance concepts, complete with audio examples and screen shots.  Aimed at the novice to intermediate users.  

http://soundbytesmag.net/midi-performance-101-getting-a-realistic-performance-from-your-midi-instruments/ 

Hope some of you will find it useful.
Stay tuned for the MIDI 102 article for more advanced techniques and ideas.

*All screen shots taken from Sonar

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 

39 Replies Related Threads

yapweiliang
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/09 15:27:32 (permalink)
    My wish has been to have a gadget (possibly wrist strap) that could interpret the wrist movements while playing keyboard, and translate that into precise vibrato (in the same way a wind or string player can have absolute control over vibrato), and for keyboard to have polyphonic aftertouch (not channel aftertouch, I mean polyphonic aftertouch) to translate to volume.  I know there are possibly some older keyboards with polyphonic AT but these were quite rare.  [Alternative is to use keyboard with channel aftertouch, and record one part at a time]

Until then... I use some of the techniques discussed in that article. 

I've never used a breath controller - do you think it can provide a reasonably good simulation of vibrato and volume control?
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/09 16:10:51 (permalink)
    My wish has been to have a gadget (possibly wrist strap) that could interpret the wrist movements while playing keyboard, and translate that into precise vibrato (in the same way a wind or string player can have absolute control over vibrato), ...

I'm not sure that the fine level of sensitivity would be there, but there's Hot Hand 3.  Personally, I've always wanted a side-to-side key sensor similar to in-fret vibrato.  I've since seen it available on some really high-end boutique controller (and the model & designer escapes me).
    ... and for keyboard to have polyphonic aftertouch (not channel aftertouch, I mean polyphonic aftertouch) to translate to volume.

Again, not exactly a standard keyboard range & layout, but interesting nonetheless:  KMI QuNexus  It think that the concept for polyphonic pitchbend using Channel Rotation is brilliant, but I haven't experienced the implementation.
    I've never used a breath controller - do you think it can provide a reasonably good simulation of vibrato and volume control?
    Those are getting more difficult to find.  I've seen some people who were really good at the technique.  I never was; I don't think that I put in the time to develop the chops.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/09 17:12:22 (permalink)
    Maybe the Continuum is the way to go. Plenty of expression to be had here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vb0SpeikUs

Here is the website:

http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/hakenaudioovervg.html

Midi can be very expressive indeed. It just depends on the controller being used and the quaility of the player too.

I have recently added a ribbon controller to my Kurzweil PC3K and it is quite amazing. It is very long (over two feet) and is a joy to play. It is capable of very expressive playing on all fronts. It can be configured as one very long ribbon or three separate smaller ribbons. It can be used to send its data to your DAW too. It is programmed on every patch once you plug it in and can be very interesting to play.

People with later Roland devices should really get into that D beam controller as well. It is pretty powerful and versatile.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2014/06/09 17:40:47

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/09 17:18:50 (permalink)
    Maybe somebody needs to add a MIDI OUT to a Theremin. Clara Blackmore had no issues with vibrato.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/09 17:56:36 (permalink)
    b rock

I'm not sure that the fine level of sensitivity would be there, but there's Hot Hand 3.  Personally, I've always wanted a side-to-side key sensor similar to in-fret vibrato.  I've since seen it available on some really high-end boutique controller (and the model & designer escapes me).

I know what you're talking about.  I recall seeing a keyboard like that available at one point that claimed to have that capability.  It certainly seems like a desirable feature, unlike aftertouch which conflicts too much with velocity IMO (plus AT is implemented really badly on the three controllers I've had personal experience with).  Imagine, getting vibrato by moving your hand laterally with the keyboard, just like a violinist can do on their instrument.  Way cool!
    davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/09 22:49:10 (permalink)
    Oh I've always been interested in the art of MIDI Mockup production. Of course I don't think I'd ever get the perfect tools or craft my composition skills to that level, but that stuff seems SO cool. Definitely a lot of useful information in there... on the real, I've never used an expression pedal/controller and don't really know what it does. I imagine it's similar to volume automation?

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/12 09:24:08 (permalink)
    A keyboard that does vibrato. Maybe a sensor that detects side to side motion on the keys? Has this been done?

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
    Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
    CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/12 12:23:43 (permalink)
    I think it was Hans Zimmer who said, and I am paraphrasing "you don't compose for the instruments you want, you compose for the samples you have."  Learn the limitations of your sound software, and work with it.  An unfortunate reality in MIDI arranging.  

Daniel Rumley
    Rumley Music and Audio Production
    www.rumleymusic.com
    yapweiliang
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/12 15:50:17 (permalink)
    It is true my most realistic arrangements have been with those considerations. Ie I am arranging a part for midi "patch 52 cello" not trying to do what Yo Yo Ma can do with real cello.

But I do wish I could play cello like him, as well as lots of other instruments but in reality I am only good at the piano and I shall keep on wishing/hoping for an easy way to play french horn without having to learn for 20 years.
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/12 16:57:08 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    Maybe somebody needs to add a MIDI OUT to a Theremin. Clara Blackmore had no issues with vibrato.

Hmmm...I have a theremin if you think it could be done.
    dmbaer
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/12 17:58:13 (permalink)
    rebel007
    A keyboard that does vibrato. Maybe a sensor that detects side to side motion on the keys? Has this been done?

Yeah, that's what b rock and I were talking about earlier in this thread.  I distinctly remember a KB with such a feature being announced at one point, but I've no details on what manufacturer or if the model ever gained any momentum.  Could well be there was insufficient interest and the product was discontinued.  I'm not aware of any KB that is currently available that does this ... but there should be!
    BigJguitar
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/12 19:48:02 (permalink)
    Such an interesting thread. For years I was kinda forced to use Midi. Older tracks of mine I did all my bass lines with keyboard, and would try swinging the midi, adjusting the Strength to like 94% with a 56% or higher swing. Sometimes magic would happen, most of the time, and especially with drums tracks, it was "Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto!" Things have changed alot for me though, with Ezdrummer and Ezkeys! Those 2 synths are about the only things I use midi with these days, both of which have a great "human" feel. Sometimes I actually play the keys if I'm just padding the background. I play all bass and guitars live into the recording and Im so much happier for it! I do not at all, regret the years spent in the midi work environment, it is a huge advantage for me when I need to actually ride that bike!

Sonar X3e Producer 64bit, windows 7 pro, 64bit, 12gig ram, Ezdrummer2, Alchemy 5.1, Ezpiano, Ezmixer 2, Ozone 5 Advanced! 
     “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    davdud101
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/12 20:19:55 (permalink)
    I definitely am a much more MIDI oriented producer. In fact, I'm not quite so geared toward live performance on anythin but trombone... I'm no good at guitar, OK at bass, and my keys could use some work. I've also found that the endless wealth of synth sounds that are out there is a HUGE advantage, esp for more modern styles.

BigJguitar
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/12 20:33:00 (permalink)
    I did buy Alchemy by Camel Audio, and man the sounds on there are like beyond me! I watch the vids to learn about using it, but Im more of a bluey hard rock, and those sounds seem like they are for every other genre of music. Im still glad I got it though, I do find some inspiring sounds and that can take me to new places, which is never a bad thing.

Sonar X3e Producer 64bit, windows 7 pro, 64bit, 12gig ram, Ezdrummer2, Alchemy 5.1, Ezpiano, Ezmixer 2, Ozone 5 Advanced! 
     “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    b rock
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/12 22:11:09 (permalink)
    I distinctly remember a KB with such a feature being announced at one point, but I've no details on what manufacturer or if the model ever gained any momentum.

I believe that the one I had in mind was the Continuum; mentioned & linked by Jeff in Post #4.  Relatively expensive, but considering the feature set, it's not much more than a high-end hardware synth.
    ... unlike aftertouch which conflicts too much with velocity IMO (plus AT is implemented really badly on the three controllers I've had personal experience with).

The best I've ever used was in the (original) Novation ReMote controllers.  Very expressive. But I've run the gamut.  Perhaps the worst implementation is in my AKAI Max49.  Down pressure is passable; release snaps between 4-5 values of 128.
    I have recently added a ribbon controller to my Kurzweil PC3K and it is quite amazing.

What's the manufacturer/model, Jeff?  I consider the Doepfer R2M every time I look to order another Wheel Electronic kit.
    I've never used an expression pedal/controller and don't really know what it does. I imagine it's similar to volume automation?

I consider it essential; along with a sustain pedal.  While it's intended to vary expression in overall volume, it doesn't have to be used that way.  In most controllers and synths, it can used to point at many different parameters.  I'll use it for filter cutoff, unidirectional pitch bend, sequencer depth, ... most anything that I don't have a free hand for.

Not to detract from Mike's tutorial here.  I found it to be an excellent primer, and I look forward to Part II.  The subject did open up an interesting discussion.  I don't think that many of us - end users or manufacturers - ever fully utilize the expressive capabilities built into MIDI over 30 years ago.
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/13 00:16:59 (permalink)
    rumleymusic
    I think it was Hans Zimmer who said, and I am paraphrasing "you don't compose for the instruments you want, you compose for the samples you have."  Learn the limitations of your sound software, and work with it.  An unfortunate reality in MIDI arranging.  

Perfect statement about midi composing. There's no other way to get a realistic performance than to record it as real time as possible. I completely ignore grids, tempo sync, and quantizing. Use as high quality a controller as possible. One of the best features of my Kurzweil midi board is having a velocity scaling slider always at my disposal. Then it comes down to the quality of the samples.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Jeff Evans
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/13 01:12:35 (permalink)
    Hi Tom.  I had to use the actual Kurzweil ribbon controller itself as it has a special connector and is designed especially for the Kurzweil.

http://kurzweil.com/produ...per_ribbon_controller/

Foot control does not just control volume but anything you want to assign to it.

Midi offers way more expressive control than what most people use.  One important thing is just even velocity control over a sound.  Simple I know but often you have to go in and tell the patch to respond to it. In many cases it won't and it requires you to get in there and make it happen.   (or even if it has some velocty response it may need to be adjusted to suit your playing style and the music a bit more)

Also at the same time you can do things like route velocty to filter cuttoff, resonance and even slight pitch movements as well.  Thing is you have to get in there and do all that first.

I agree with what Hans Zimmer is saying too and work very much in that mode.  It is the actual sounds and samples that you have that often dictate how they are played.  A sample may sound very realistic when played a certain way but also very unrealistic when played in a different manner.  I tend to lean towards playing any samples or sounds in such as way as to show them off in their best light.

I also have a Yamaha breath controller and it is quite amazing also.  Kurzweil even has a breath controller input and it is fully compatible with it.  That can be routed to many things such as vibrato, volume, filter etc..  You can also get a little breath control box that will accept it also and send out the midi data. (if you don't have any Yamaha synths that is)

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodbth.htm
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2014/06/13 01:14:33

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/13 01:25:21 (permalink)
    I have this fantasy about a motion sensor conductor's baton which would allow you to "conduct" a MIDI performance. That's all I've got - I'll let the boffins fill in the rest of the details. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Shambler
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 783
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/13 13:43:10 (permalink)
    What? Nobody has seen this?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAAVs8wqVUA

SONAR Platypus on Win10 64bit.
    Studio One Pro / Cubase Pro 9.5...just in case.
    8GB i7-2600 3.4GHz Gigabyte  Z68XP-UD3P
    Geforce GTX970
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen
    Prophet 12/Rev 2/Virus Snow
    Zebra2/DIVA/NI Komplete 10
    tlw
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/13 13:52:55 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Moog's new theremini has MIDI out over USB.

Apparently it's based on Tim Blake's (currently a member of Hawkwind) setup which, for live performances at least, I understand to be a Moog etherwave controlling Minimonsta on a laptop via a pitch to MIDI convertor.

Mr Blake in action waving his arms about - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXIfLNeBqUw

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    dmbaer
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/13 20:03:45 (permalink)
    sharke
    I have this fantasy about a motion sensor conductor's baton which would allow you to "conduct" a MIDI performance.

You're going to need to let your hair grow out if you want to pull that one off with panache. 
    b rock
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/14 10:34:10 (permalink)
    sharke
    I have this fantasy about a motion sensor conductor's baton which would allow you to "conduct" a MIDI performance.

To avoid drowsiness, skip ahead to about 5:35.
    Arduino Nunchuck Baton Project - MIDI Controller
    As a bonus, you can also defend yourself against attack from the audience.
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/14 11:49:54 (permalink)
    This forum works about as well as midi does.

Sensors are already hooked up with outer orbit girl.
    Gloves probably in 2015. Me make Music with Gloves. No that is her, not me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0lCL2hpRPM

No, actually.
    And probably not all of it though.

sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/14 12:26:43 (permalink)
    b rock
    sharke

To avoid drowsiness, skip ahead to about 5:35.
    Arduino Nunchuck Baton Project - MIDI Controller
    As a bonus, you can also defend yourself against attack from the audience.

It's a start!

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    dmbaer
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/15 17:19:56 (permalink)
    The latest issue of Sound on Sound has an article about a new system developed by a PhD from the US who teaches in London at the moment.  It has sensors on key strips that you affix to the actual keys of any device you might have handy.  It cannot detect pressure or velocity, but reportedly excels at detecting movement of fingers on the keys (side to side is perfectly translated into vibrato) and front to back can be used for anything you want to control.

Apart from the key overlays needing to be attached, the main downside is the cost: 1200 pounds for an 88-key version.  But maybe it's the shape of things to come.  If some KB manufacturer integrates the technology into a mass produced KB that has a large economy of scale, this thing could really be a whole new ballgame performance-wise.
    davdud101
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/16 15:23:06 (permalink)
    WOW. This thread is opening my eyes to what possibilities we really have with MIDI!! They're near endless :O

yapweiliang
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/16 16:09:35 (permalink)
    There are also non-music applications. :-)

I am now reading up more on the breath controllers. Tempted to try www.tecontrol.se
    Jeff Evans
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/16 16:43:59 (permalink)
    The breath controller is quite something. If you blow smoothly and just get harder slowly over time that is what happens to the sound you are playing. It just gets louder and can open up a filter etc...or add vibrato under your breath control instead. Breath could be routed to any effect parameter too. Think of that!

But if you spit the attack of your breath or tounge a hard transient in the breath controller that can create exactly the same snappy attack transient in the sound you are playing. It is lightening fast too. But then blow smooth again and slowly increase the breath and the sounds goes all attack slow and smooth again.

Of course you have to set up the synth paramaters very much so to respond to all this stuff. It won't as soon as you connect a breath controller to something. Instructions need to given in terms of how the synth is receiving and responding to performance data.  (on the breath controller code)

Tony S
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re: Getting a realistic performance from MIDI instruments 2014/06/17 13:20:40 (permalink)
    I've had the TEControl UNI MIDI breath controller for several days now and am loving it.
    I was unable to get it to work  USB only so plugged the MIDI cable into the MIDI Thru on my Kurzweil K2600.

I also bought the TEControl headset, which I wear like a harmonica holder.
    There are learning curves both as to "pneumatic"set-up  with controllable, and to me, necessary, leakage, technique, and embrochure, and instrument set up. (No, I haven't got a good duduk,yet). I am starting to learn passable vibrato with it...think swishing mouthwash thru your teeth.
    Total cost ~ 180 Euros, and I received the unit in about a week.
    Total game changer, musically, and highly recommended..

Works fine with Omnisphere, Trilian and Kurzweil.

Will be setting up Alchemy and Kontakt soon.
    Jeff: I love the ribbons on the Kurzweil as well.
    (AND the delightful Imogen Heap).

Great thread. 

S8.5.3x64   Producer  
    Windows 7x64 
    Core 2 Quad Q9400 
    8 GB RAM
    2x 500GB SATA
    1x 250 GB SATA 
    Steinberg MR816x   
    K2600XS
    Battered Old Gibson Blue Ridge
    SM-57/SM-58 (Yeah,yeah...)