Getting file type to not say MPEG instead of mp3

Author
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
2010/01/17 12:49:23 (permalink)

Getting file type to not say MPEG instead of mp3

Hello,

I've had to restore my pc and in doing so i've had to re configure everything.  Right now I'm stuck because all of what used to be .wav and mp3 files are now defaulting to some kind of windows media file.
How can I change that so they are wav and mp3 files?

Thank you.

do NOt know HOW
post edited by No How - 2010/01/18 12:53:03

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull

19 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/17 13:04:47 (permalink)
    I don't think you can upconvert .wma files to .wav. Once compressed, they can't be uncompressed.
    You'd need a converter to change them to mp3, many of which are free on the internet. I use Windows Media Player for my mp3 conversions, but not everyone has the same WMP I have.
    The audio isn't lost, I think. It's just the files that were in your My Music folder that were changed, I believe.
    Did you run the Cakewalk Audio Finder (CWAF) from the 'Tools' menu? This will find all the audio on your hard drive, so it could take awhile. The problem then comes up that you have to figure out which is which, since the files rarely read "[my song] track 1 guitar".

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/17 13:20:51 (permalink)
    I noticed that when I change the...."select this player as default"...and every player that you have on your computer will want to be the DEFAULT player for your audio files....... the icons for the wave files will change to reflect the "new player".... but I don't think the files are necessarilly different or converted..... unless you manually selected "convert all audio files" if you choose to default to a different player, the icons will probably change again.... the one exception might be Itunes.....IDK....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    No How
    Getting MPEG files back to mp3 files 2010/01/17 18:11:27 (permalink)
    Gregg and Herb, 
    I thought at first they were wmp files then i See that they are mp3 files...called by their longer name MPEG files.
    Soundclick won't upload them for some reason. 
    I'll write their support and see what's up. 

post edited by No How - 2010/01/17 20:37:11

s o n g s

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/17 20:06:59 (permalink)
    Well, I haven't had anyhing new to upload in quite a while, so I can't check that.
    Maybe they're at a bit rate that SC won't take, like 256?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    No How
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/17 20:10:37 (permalink)
    Hi Greg,

Oh...MPEG ARE mp3 files....back to square one.
    Not sure why Soundclick won't upload.

I'll see what Soundclick says.

thank you both for the reponse.

post edited by No How - 2010/01/17 20:33:44

s o n g s

Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 08:42:50 (permalink)

Oh...MPEG ARE mp3 files....back to square one.

No, that's not a correct statement.

MPEG files are video files that also contain audio.

MP3 files are audio only files.

I don't quite understand how your wav and mp3 files could have possibly converted into MPEG files unless you purposely did it using some kind of conversion program.

The only thing I can think is that perhaps their extensions have in some way changed, but even if their extensions have changed the files themselves would not have changed. However it would confuse any program that you have chosen to open those files because the extension would be telling the program that it's a video file and not an audio file because of the incorrect file extension. In addition, Soundclick doesn't utilize video files, they only accept audio files which is why you can't upload them there.

I would suggest selecting one of the MPEG files of which you refer. Select a file that you are absolutely positive was previously an mp3 or wav file.

Manually change that file's extension to mp3 and then see if it opens in your media player as an audio file. If it doesn't open with an mp3 extension, then try changing it to a wav extension and see if that will open as an audio file in your media player. 

If that works then you can go through all those file and manually change their extensions back to either mp3 or wav depending upon which kind of file they were before their extensions were changed to MPEG. 

Wow, what a pain in the butt. I wonder how that could have happened. Well, like everyone says...computers are great...when they work right.
    Hope this helps,
    Pete
    post edited by Peter Rabbit - 2010/01/18 08:56:41

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    No How
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 12:37:15 (permalink)
    Hi Pete,

Wow.  I thought i was home free.  Now that explains why it won't upload in soundclick.   Not sure why it happened as I've done nothing different at all....except system restore
    The files are most certainly still mp3 files but have been labeled as MPEG files.
    I will try your recommendations to convert, although I do NOt know HOW....  I have been able to play these MPEG files in my windows media player.  They also play in itunes player.
    Thank you.

post edited by No How - 2010/01/18 12:50:38

s o n g s

Peter Rabbit
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 13:06:54 (permalink)

I will try your recommendations to convert, although I do NOt know HOW

No, you don't need or want to "convert" the files. All you need to do is change the "extensions" for the file names.

Just go to your Windows Explore where it shows all the contents on your computer. Locate the file/files in question. Then change the name of the file/files from example.mpeg to either example.mp3 or example.wav depending upon which file format it was in before the file extension names were changed to mpeg

The file extension is just the letters that follow the "dot" in the file name. The extension is what identifies the type of file and tells other software programs what kind of file it is.

Apparently it appears that your wav and mp3 files' "extensions" have somehow been changed and you just need to change them back to their previous, correct extension names.

Simply left click on the file while in Explore, then left click once again and it will allow you to type any name you want to type.
    Use care not to double left click because that will trigger the file to open. Just left click, then left click once again.

Also use care when changing the file extension name. You only want to change the "extension" (the letters after the dot). You do not want to change the file's name that appears before the dot because your previously created Cakewalk projects will not be able to locate them if you change that part of the file name. Change only the "extension" part of the file's name.

Pete

post edited by Peter Rabbit - 2010/01/18 13:14:10

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    No How
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 13:16:51 (permalink)
    Sounds like an easy fix.  

Thanks so much for assistance and the tutorial.

s o n g s

Peter Rabbit
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 15:42:21 (permalink)

Sure thing.

This is a first for me as I've never had anything like that happen to me before.

I also can't gaurantee that it will work since I'm only making an educated guess, a hunch if you will.

Let us know how it all plays out.

P. Rabbit
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 15:54:46 (permalink)
    Check your extensions.
     If they are mp3 then they should play fine in Windows Media Player.
     Wav files will also play in Windows Media Player, provided they are 16 bit not 24.
     also, MPEG files .mpg are video files.... Provided you have a decoder, Windows Media player can play these as well.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

No How
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 16:27:45 (permalink)
    They will play in media player but they WON"T upload on soundclick because, as Pete said, the uploader is reading it as another kind of file (which, in reality, it isn't).
    So i have to re label the files somehow.   I tried the left click thing but no go.
    I think it's more of a general fix, somehow, i have to find a control that will do it all in one swoop.

s o n g s

Peter Rabbit
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 18:03:55 (permalink)

I tried the left click thing but no go.

Not sure what you mean by no go. Do you mean that you couldn't change the extension of the file name? The first time you left click on it, it should highlight the file. The second time you left click on it, it should still be highlighted but you can now left click once again on the area of the file you want to change and you should see your cursor's placement. You simply delete the word mpeg and replace it with wav or mp3.

If you can't seem to do that then you can just right click on the file, then select Rename when the command list appears. Then you'll be able to change the file extension from mpeg to wav or mp3.

I think you'll have to do each file individually as I'm not aware of a way to do all the files in one swoop.

Also remember that you want to change the extension of the files back to what they were before they changed to mpeg. If it was a wav file then you need to change it to .wav, likewise if it was an mp3 file then you need to change it back to .mp3

Changing the file extension of the file doesn't convert the file from one format to another, it simply changes its name and identifies what kind of file it is. You can't rename a wav file and name it an mp3 and expect it to be an mp3. It will still be a wav file regardless of how you've labeled it.

So, as I said, renaming a file doesn't "convert" it from one format to another. It simply properly identifies the file so that software programs can recognize it.

Window Media Player recognizes a variety of files which is why  the files play with that software program. But if you're using something that only recognizes mp3 files then only an mp3 file with a file extension that says "mp3" will work. A wav file that has been renamed with an mp3 extension will not work in this scenario.

Have I totally confused you yet?

Pete
    post edited by Peter Rabbit - 2010/01/18 18:12:20

P. Rabbit
    No How
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 18:26:35 (permalink)
    Hi Pete,

Nothing happens when i LEFT click the file.  Nothing.  
    That's where I'm lost.  i don't understand.    WHen i go into properties there is nowhere to change the file type.    The only option in properties is what program will open it.
    I can not change the file type be renaming either as all i can change is the name of the file.  The file type is not in the name.

confused.
    post edited by No How - 2010/01/18 18:27:36

s o n g s

Peter Rabbit
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 18:46:52 (permalink)

OK, let's start again.

Let's do it this way. Go to Explore and locate the file you need to work on.

Right click on the file and select "Rename". Don't select "Properties", you want to select "Rename".

After you select "Rename" you will see that file is highlighted and you can now use your mouse to place the cursor where you need to delete the "mpeg" and type in the word "wav" in its place.

Hit "enter" on your keyboard when finished. (Or just click anywhere on the screen except on the file you're working on.)

The file will now read BlahBlah.wav instead of BlahBlah.mpeg

You will have changed the "extension" of the file from mpeg to wav.

Pete

post edited by Peter Rabbit - 2010/01/18 18:52:07

P. Rabbit
    Peter Rabbit
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 18:49:58 (permalink)

Oh, you know what? I bet you have your folders set up so that it's not showing the extensions to common files.

When you've located the files whose names you want to change, are they showing the extensions? Are you seeing Example.mpeg or are you just seeing Example with no identifying extension?

If the files are not showing the extensions then while in Explore, highlight the folder that contains the files whose name you want to change.

Then on the above toolbar go to Tools > Folder Options and click on the "View" tab. Scroll down the list and un-select the one that says, "Hide extensions for known file types" and then click OK. You should now be able to see the extensions for your files.

Pete
    post edited by Peter Rabbit - 2010/01/18 18:57:36

P. Rabbit
    No How
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 19:49:50 (permalink)
    Okay,
    I did as you said and it showed all the file extensions just as you said it would and they all DO say mp3!  Now i'm really mystified as to why it won't upload on Soundclick.

Thank you for your huge help, Pete.   I'm left with the last hope that it's a soundclick problem and not the files.

Gracias!

s o n g s

Peter Rabbit
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 20:23:08 (permalink)

It's possible, as Greg mentioned in one of his above posts, that the mp3 files are at too high of a bit rate. I believe the free accounts with Soundclick only allow a maximum bit rate of 128.

To check the bit rate of the file locate the file in Explore. Right click on the file and go to "Properties". Click on the "Summary" tab and read the information that's there. If you can't see all the information then you're probably looking at the "Simple" view and you'll  need to click the "Advanced" button located near the bottom of the Summary and then scroll down to see the bit rate. If you have the free account with Soundclick and the bit rate is above 128, then it won't accept the file. In this case you'll have to reformat the file using your mp3 converting program (whichever program you used to convert the file from a wav to an mp3 in the first place) and select the 128 bit rate in the options dialog box.

P. Rabbit
    No How
    Re:Undoing Windows media type file default 2010/01/18 21:20:51 (permalink)
    I just tried again to upload at Soundclick and it still wouldn't work then i saw the option to use the "simple uploader" and tried it.
    It worked.  
    There must be some issue at Soundclick where their new interface is not able to upload.
    I'm glad it worked as I had songs that were not playing for days because of the dysfunction.

Thank you again for all your help!

Rick

s o n g s

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1