Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More.....

Author
TheEdster75
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
2010/11/22 15:13:36 (permalink)

Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More.....

Ok, first off here is what I am using:

Windows 7 64 Bit
Sonar 8.5
Edirol FA-66 Audio interface

And when I record guitars and mic my Line 6 Spider 3 amp with a Shure SM-57...

Here is my mix, lil Hip Hop and Metal:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3...%20and%20Master_eq.mp3

Guitars do not stand out anywhere near what I'd like....

Any advice on what to do? i already have the volume up as loud as it can go before I get into the red on the meter...

I have read a bit about Frequency Slotting.... Seems to me this has to be done with EQ'ing
, but when i see Frequency Charts like this:

I have no clue how to translate that onto here:

I am a newb and extremely visual... So as much visual representation to help me out as you can give will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!!!

29 Replies Related Threads

Gaffpro
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 792
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 15:31:29 (permalink)
    The guitars are too fizzy to begin with...if you can't re record them at least flatten out the eq....they need more bottom end (200-500 hz)...if you want the guitars "more in your face" boost eq between 2-3 khz
    vinski
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 300
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 15:42:48 (permalink)
    You have much to learn, padawan!  Great interface by the way, I like it lots!!

Do you understand what's happening on your EQ diagram?
    Essentially what the bands say underneath;  Band 1 is cutting (or subtracting EQ) at 30Hz by 13 decibels.
    Band 2 is boosting (or adding EQ) at 50Hz by 13 decibels, and so on, and so on.

The frequency chart at the top relates to the direct frequency on notes of the guitar as opposed to the sound that you hear from your amp.  For example clean guitar sounds will use those frequencies quite happily while distorted guitars take up ALOT of frequencies and will measure a long way out of that range.
    Also bear in mind that certain frequencies also add certain characteristics.  So above around 12kHz will add 'air' to a sound, or roughly 4kHz will add 'click', or beater, to a kick drum.  Using these frequencies cleverly will result in the tone you're after, providing you've got it there to start with of course.

You'll find loads of helpful threads on EQ's and the like on the Sonar forums coz we all had to ask similar things at some point.
    Just read, read, read.

There's information about recording different types of guitar everywhere.
    Try 'Sound on Sound'.  They have lots of helpful articles to get you started.

Good luck.

Pentium D 2.8, SP3
    2GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT
    HP vs19e, Samsung Synchmaster 2032BW
    Edirol FA-66
    Evolution MK-225C
    Sonar 8.3.1
    Rski
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 15:52:44 (permalink)
    I scrolled through the clip to hear the guitar portion, I hear what you mean.

Basically using the EQ graph, on the bottom end select low shelving on 1 then high shelving on number 6, click on each low then high shelf and drag down to the bottom. The slope is shallow on default, click on Q and increase that value so that the slope will appear steeper.

The guitar will need to be peak or dip with maybe somewhere about 800Hz, this part requires substantial gain above the zero on the graph to get the guitar to stand out.

Now adjust the low self to a point where the lower frequency doesn't muddle with your kick drum's note.
    Likewise the top shelf needs to be tweaked to keep the frequencies above 4KHz from etching your guitar timber, close miking with SM57 will pick up those nasty highs that requires trimming,

The mid band can really throw the guitars timber out, careful band selection and ears required.

Another strategy to get the guitar to stand out is to pan that track left or right with the synth track panned opposite of the guitar

When mixing you need to develop an idea of what frequencies effect the timber of what instruments, sort of takes a while and patience to grasp.
    dmmi
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 536
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 16:03:57 (permalink)
    I can't listen to the sample at work.....but you didn't mention if you are double tracking.

Layer if you want punch....or even quad track, 1 - 100%L, 2 - 100%R, 3 - 75%L, 4 - 75%R

Song in the link below isn't even double tracked, but copied with a waves doubler before revalver on the other track, so you can imagine what double or quad tracking will do 
    post edited by dmmi - 2010/11/22 16:06:28
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 16:35:00 (permalink)
    Rski

I scrolled through the clip to hear the guitar portion, I hear what you mean.

Basically using the EQ graph, on the bottom end select low shelving on 1 then high shelving on number 6, click on each low then high shelf and drag down to the bottom.
    The slope is shallow on default, click on Q and increase that value so that the slope will appear steeper.

The guitar will need to be peak or dip with maybe somewhere about 800Hz, this part requires substantial gain above the zero on the graph to get the guitar to stand out.

Now adjust the low self to a point where the lower frequency doesn't muddle with your kick drum's note.
    Likewise the top shelf needs to be tweaked to keep the frequencies above 4KHz from etching your guitar timber, close miking with SM57 will pick up those nasty highs that requires trimming,

The mid band can really throw the guitars timber out, careful band selection and ears required.

Another strategy to get the guitar to stand out is to pan that track left or right with the synth track panned opposite of the guitar

When mixing you need to develop an idea of what frequencies effect the timber of what instruments, sort of takes a while and patience to grasp.

I think you mean High Pass Filter on EQ band 1 and Low Pass filter on EQ band 4.

Shelf EQ is a different animal.

If the guitar has to be turned up too much to make it heard then it is time to turn everything else down (and your speaker volume up).

Complimentary EQ is an art form and requires a lot of practise it get right. There are no quick fixes or easy advice. Just keep trying. Playing with an EQ is not destructive, so just try things. Welcome to mixing!

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    nprime
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 17:01:44 (permalink)
    You may find this interactive frequency chart a little more useful than the one you posted.

http://www.independentrec...chart/main_display.htm
    post edited by nprime - 2010/11/22 17:15:18

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    TheEdster75
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 17:10:24 (permalink)
    @ Gaffpro: Yeah, see when ya say "they need more bottom end (200-500 hz)...if you want the guitars "more in your face" boost eq between 2-3 khz" I don't understand the hz and kHz in the context of where exactly to move my eq settings... Like I said, I am such a visual learner, it's really hard for me to read something like this that I have no knowledge of and apply it without seeing it done...

@ vinski: Yep, I got tons to learn... I'll hit up that site and see what i can do... i wish there was more video of eq'ing online, like you see with guitar instructional stuff....

@ Rski: yeah the EQ I showed wasn't mine, I'm at work right now and I put that up there to show it was a similar EQ program to what i had with Sonar... I'll try your suggestions though..

@ dmmi: Yeah i quad tracked, using 4 different distortion sounds.. Was a suggestion I read about on beefing up the guitar sounds... Would just double tracking with the same sound be better? also when I recorded i used the stereo setting, and then plugged into the right side of the interface, that gives you a signal only to the right.. Should I maybe select the right input instead of stereo and then pan 100% to the right?

TheEdster75
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 17:12:10 (permalink)
    nprime I clicked on your link, but it takes me right back to this post...
    nprime
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 17:15:43 (permalink)
    TheEdster75

nprime I clicked on your link, but it takes me right back to this post...

Fixed

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    TheEdster75
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 17:32:19 (permalink)
    nprime:

Cool chart... Here is were i am struggling as far as that is concerned...

On the top I see this

Hz 20  40  60  100  200  400  600  1K  2K 4K  6K  10K  16K  20K
    And then all the rest underneath.....

How do I relate that here as far as where i move certain eq settings to get everything correctly slotted so things stand out:

Keep in mind those aren't actual EQ settings I am using, I just that up there as a pictorial representation of what I use.....
    Gaffpro
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 792
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 17:38:29 (permalink)
    Khz is when it tops over 999 hz. Just a math thang
    For example:
    200 hz
    400 hz
    800 hz
    1 khz
    2 khz
    3 khz

Again, because of the fizz already on the track, anything above 3k is going to make it worse. What guitar, amp, effects, etc. did you use?
    TheEdster75
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 17:45:58 (permalink)
    Oh I used 4 diffrent distortion presets on my Line 6 Spider 3 Solid State Amp and then mic'd that with a Shure SM-57.... i quad tracked, I guess is what it's called. Seems to me that the strings are drowning out the guitar....

here is another sample I did, with just what is called the Black Kit, from Steven Slate Drums and those same guitar setting, recording it the same exact way...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3...20Toned%20Mastered.mp3
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 18:01:19 (permalink)
    I think you're getting way ahead of yourself. And, like most newbies, you think because you've got an EQ you have to use it. The drums seem to be the problem to me specially the hat. way too bright. Use the EQ to remove frequencies, not add unless you're going for some effect. I very rarely boost any EQ. 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 18:04:25 (permalink)
    When you can't hear certain instruments in a mix it's usually because of masking. i.e. instrument A is masking instrument B. EQ can you help you sort that out.

Also remember that you can turn everything else down rather than turn one instrument up, but the real secret to great mixes is to buy   THIS  it will sort out 99% of your problems I promise. It'll be the best ££/$$ you've ever spent
    post edited by FastBikerBoy - 2010/11/22 18:07:10
    TheEdster75
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 18:07:33 (permalink)
    FasterBikerBoy, the only thing that popped up on that link was: Bad Request.. lol!!!

can ya try again, not sure what you were trying to send me.. Very interested in seeing what that was...
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 18:09:05 (permalink)
    TheEdster75

FasterBikerBoy, the only thing that popped up on that link was: Bad Request.. lol!!!

can ya try again, not sure what you were trying to send me.. Very interested in seeing what that was...

Ok sorry, link fixed now - have another go
    nprime
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 18:10:17 (permalink)
    Ignore the numbers and use your ears. You can't break anything by grabbing one of the frequencies, boosting it and sweeping it around, then cutting it and sweeping it around. Listen to what happens to your guitar sound as you slowly sweep up and down through the frequencies. You ears will tell you if youre are boosting what you need or cutting what you don't need on each guitar sound.

The only way to learn what the EQ does is to play with it. Don't EQ with your eyes, EQ with your ears.

If I had 4 guitar tracks I would pan them each to a different location and then start to take a little bit of one frequency down on one track and try boosting the same frequency on one of the other tracks. Even a boost or cut of 3-4 dB can make a difference. Do this for each guitar, cut a different frequency out of each of the 4 sounds, see if that doesn't open up more space for each one to sit in the mix.

I am personally more of a "cutter" than a "booster", but let your ears decide. Just be careful to watch the overall track level when boosting frequencies, you still need to stay below 0 on the track meter to avoid distortion.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun, so take some time to just play with it.

Happy mixing.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 18:38:45 (permalink)
    Also remember:  when recording and double and triple tracking guitars, less gain is better! No need for the double rectifier uber dirt when you have 4 guitars.  All that does is fizz everything up and sound like crap.  Try some medium gain presets and mess with them.  The sum of 4 of those together is MUCH more powerful than 4 hi gain tracks together.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 18:40:30 (permalink)
    If you want punch use a single well played guitar track.

The easiest way to make the guitar stand out is too write songs with arrangements that don't create confusion in the sonic regions you want to remain clear and articulate.

In the this song I think the first solution is to simply turn down the synths when the guitar kicks in.. basic old fashioned level riding is the first thing this song needs. Those synths are really loud and using the same space that your arranged for your guitar.

Also the kick drum in the track sounds like a tom tom... the bulk of it's tone is up at (just guessing) about 80hz with overtones up to 200Hz...  so it's robbing the lower energy that the guitar might reach down too... if the guitar had any bass... with those big chords you might as well whack the fat strings too. Why not? :-)

I think it's a fine song... and some balancing is all it really needs. On a spectrum analysis you don't even see the guitar show up because it is simply buried under the synth. (rest assured I listened 3 times on my big system before I open the tools)

The advice about layering guitar sound to get more punch is my least favorite advice... people talk about it all the time... but they are basically just turning up the guitar by adding 3dB every time they double... and when you double with extra effects treatment split out... you get more wash and movement and LESS punch. In the example that was offered the guitar is just freaking loud. Lucky for me I LOVE loud guitar.

The reality is that your listening environment only has so much room before everything fills up... you have to balance it to get what you want to stand out and all that matters is that the band is happy with results. You have to leave some room in the space for the impression of punch to be created.

Good luck with the mixing,
    mike

TheEdster75
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 18:51:10 (permalink)
    Mike

That was my next move... Gonna try taking the Synth parts on the chorus where the guitar kicks in and drag those to seperate tracks and then turn them down....

The kick drum is something i am using from BFD2 Presets and it mimics that 808 Kick Drum sound.. the song is a Rap-Hip Hop/Metal hybrid, that's why it sounds like that...

And I hear ya guys on the mic'ing... Best distortion sound I've been able to get is recording 2 tracks simultaneously to the left, and then again to the right, all using the same distortion effect.. i think I'll go back to that one...

TheEdster75
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 18:52:21 (permalink)
    Just want to send out a quick shout out to everyone and thank you for all this great advice!!!

Much appreciated!!!
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 18:53:13 (permalink)
    Forget about the graphs and use your ears. Each song will need and have different settings for these things. Learn the tools and then use your knowledge and experience to decide what will work for each song.

Here are some guitar tips I worte up:
    Guitar tips

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    nprime
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 18:53:48 (permalink)
    Everything Mike says is true. The root of the problem is always the arrangement and orchestration of the parts.

I have never understood the endless fascination that guitar players have with layering, especially the exact same sound multiple times. Unless they have stunningly good timing they are bound to actually destroy any hope of "punch".

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    dmmi
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 536
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 21:56:45 (permalink)
    TheEdster75

@ dmmi: Yeah i quad tracked, using 4 different distortion sounds.. Was a suggestion I read about on beefing up the guitar sounds... Would just double tracking with the same sound be better? also when I recorded i used the stereo setting, and then plugged into the right side of the interface, that gives you a signal only to the right.. Should I maybe select the right input instead of stereo and then pan 100% to the right?

Got a chance to take a listen
    Great Stuff in this thread!

Don't use different distirtion settings....the variation in your playing each track will be enough, I think this is some of your problem.  Also record mono and then pan.  And as many have said....less gain.  While most don't condone soft amps such as revalver, guitar rig, amplitude and such, remember you can use to add gain later, so less is more when mic recording distorted guitar.

Try using TSS "tube screamer" plug too, free, stable, easy, and dose wonders!

I hear problems in your high end.  Try putting your mic directly in front of the speaker centre....and perpendicular.  You have to record LOUD with a 57 to get punch. Cut treble on your amp, around 6-7 depending on the amp, mids should be above 5 depending on the amp, and bass almost, if not at, 10...if you have presence control, trim back to around 5 to 6.

Next....if you have access to a bass...record single notes of the chords you playing on guitar on the bass and blend in...this will fight with your existing bass, but that's ok because melodicly it follows your guitar and will help it stand out.

I would try all above before any EQ....get it sounding good with just guitar and drums, start adding instruments, and as sone as it dissappears, work with EQ.

Cheers!

post edited by dmmi - 2010/11/22 22:06:36
    Bold As Love
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/22 22:33:26 (permalink)
    High pass EQ on electric guitars (or any, for that matter) is a must. Roll off everything under 80Hz. Of course, use your ears.

And also, it's always better to try and get "the" sound straight outta the amp. Use EQ for minor corrections only, cutting preferably and boosting only a little... if at all.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

SONAR Producer 8.5.3
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Intel Core i7 Quad Processor 940  8MB 1366 CPU 3 Ghz
    ASRock X58 Extreme Core i7 Motherboard
    TRIPLE CHANNEL 6GB (3x2GB) DDR-3 1600MHZ PC3-12800
    750GB SATA2 7200rpm
    1TB SATA2 7200rpm
    Tascam 1641 usb2.0
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/23 00:19:14 (permalink)
    More or less what others have said - pull down everything but the guitars when they come in - tho that will be hard to do.  Everything else is so loud - I think I'd try to just drop the synth and make a simple drum track for it.  And panning.

Also, distorted guitar with lots of fuzz is hard to make loud and nigh impossible to punch.  It is almost like white noise with an undertone.  Toward the end you achieve what you say you want, but everything else has dropped out.  You might record a cleaner, notey guitar and layer it underneath to give some bite to the guitar part.

When you try to make everything loud stuff just gets smaller.  Riding levels helps, as does panning.  I might put the synth mostly to one side, est. it there and let the guitar fill up the other.  I mean, there are a lot of things you can do.

Nice song, btw.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/23 00:59:25 (permalink)
    A general rule to avoid wall of mud or lifeless tracks -
    the more harmonically rich the tracks are the less of them will fit in your mix.
    Especially if the harmonic material is similar such as in using the same guitar patch in your amp sim for multiple tracks.

If your are going to have multiple guitar tracks try dialing down the distortion.
    Try adding some compression if you need more sustain.
    If the mix includes screaming synths or keys swimming in effects you might need to clean things up a bit too. 

One guitar track can dripping with huge amounts distortion, phasing, delay and verb if the only other thing happening is clean drums, bass and vocals.
    For example I've got a Line6 Spider amp that has an 'Insane' setting that just screams until you try to mix in another 'Insane' track and then they just muddy each other up.

More isn't always better...

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/23 01:33:55 (permalink)
    Some general guidlines to help with your guitar mix.

Run a high-pass filter on the guitar tracks... to keep them out of kick and bass territory.
    There's not much use for the guitars to go down below 80-100Hz.

If you want thump from the Guitar, you'll find that at about 150Hz

The body of the Guitar tone is around 500Hz

If you want more articulation from the guitar, that's going to reside in the upper-mids... at about 1-3k

In general, you want to capture the sound as close to perfect as possible at the source (meaning the guitar/amp/mic).  If the captured sound isn't pretty close to what you're looking for, mixing will be a pain.
    Take the time to capture a great tone up front (that works well in context)... and your mix will not only sound better... it'll be much easier to mix.

Mike mentioned arrangement.
    This is often overlooked by folks new to writing/recording/mixing.
    The arrangement has a profound affect on the mix/dynamics/clarity.
    ie:  If you have synth, piano, lead vocals, background vocals, and guitar all playing in the same range... they're going to "step on" (mask) each other.  In a great arrangement, rather than fighting for space in the same range, those parts will complement, support, and work around each other.
    Don't overlook the importance of arrangement.  Learn to arrange well... and your songs/mixes will improve dramatically.

Keep working at all the above.
    There will come a day when it all just 'clicks' in your mind... and it'll be much easier to (consistently) achieve the results you're looking for

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Getting the Guitars to Stand Out More..... 2010/11/23 01:53:39 (permalink)
    A direct box is your friend. I always try to take a clean (un-amped) track via direct box as well as the distorted track when I record guitar. Once you have too much distortion (or the wrong type) on a track you can't undo it. It sounds a bit like you have too much going on in the 2-4k area. Perhaps a gentle cut in the non-guitar tracks in that area will bring the guitars forward a bit. I agree the guitars sound fizzy and thin, hopefully some corrective EQ will help. Another thing you're fighting is the sustained nature of the part played doesn't allow for frequent attacks (strumming with a bit of space in between). When you have those dynamic edges to work with, things like double-tracking, wide-panning, mid-side plugins, and detuning, haas effect can help fatten up guitar tracks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1