Helpful ReplyGibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry about?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/24 20:22:56 (permalink)
Cue an influx of biker spam to show up in these parts. 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/24 21:02:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Resonant Serpent 2017/08/25 16:21:11
Whenever I go into my local guitar center they push everything BESIDES gibson and tascam.  It's like any war, they have to win the  hearts and minds of musicians.   Cakewalk has a very loyal user base, so much so that they overlook DAWS that are much better, or at least more free from bugs.  They have a great forum though.  Now I'll duck and cover.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/24 22:00:38 (permalink)
The other issue is there are tons of used Les Paul's out there in great condition. I haven't bought one new in quite sometime.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/24 22:15:15 (permalink)
drewfx1

OK, here's my last Harley.  Sorry. no parts close-ups

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/25 00:36:02 (permalink)
BobF
drewfx1

OK, here's my last Harley.  Sorry. no parts close-ups

That's sure one pretty bike, Bob.

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/25 03:33:20 (permalink)
Same article quoted Steinway's parent as about to go t up.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
outland144k
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/25 04:32:37 (permalink)
space_cowboy
Same article quoted Steinway's parent as about to go t up.  

Fender wasn't doing so hot either according to the article.

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/25 18:34:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2017/08/25 18:51:58
BobF
 They also have the same problem as Harley.  That being that their biggest fans are getting older and older.  

So basically Gibson and Sonar are a match made in heaven! Phew, I can stop worrying

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/25 20:20:04 (permalink)
I was talking to a fellow who was involved in marketing at a major instrument manufacturer on my way to NAMM in 2015.  He was saying that sales are *way* off compared to what they were 15 - 20 years ago.  Much of the reason, he assumed, was that the iGeneration had no use for such pursuits as making music (unless it was via a no-investment vehicle like Garage Band).  Very, very sad, IMO.
outland144k
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/25 20:36:52 (permalink)
dmbaer
....the iGeneration had no use for such pursuits as making music (unless it was via a no-investment vehicle like Garage Band).  Very, very sad, IMO.

Money's not the only thing the iGen have no interest in investing; the other is time. Immediate gratification is the highest goal for them. Anything else is considered failure and/or an ineffective investment. And if/when the extremely rare occasion occurs when they do decide to "invest", they mistake technical precision and imitation for creativity.

Real creativity necessarily involves a risk: one's work may be rejected. Imitation is much safer. And we all know how the iGen have no use for anything but personal affirmation.

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/25 23:56:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/08/27 22:10:26
dmbaer
I was talking to a fellow who was involved in marketing at a major instrument manufacturer on my way to NAMM in 2015.  He was saying that sales are *way* off compared to what they were 15 - 20 years ago.  Much of the reason, he assumed, was that the iGeneration had no use for such pursuits as making music (unless it was via a no-investment vehicle like Garage Band).  Very, very sad, IMO.

One should note that the phone in our pockets has more processing power than a flagship HW synth from 20 years ago, and there are lots of $5 - $20 apps that prove it.

So with a fairly inexpensive audio interface and midi controller added to an iPad or computer you can blow away the equipment that we learned on for a fraction of the cost - and that's without even accounting for inflation. That really is progress, but it isn't for certain manufacturers and retailers. My first digital reverb was a big deal for me back in the 80's, but now you can get a $5 app that more than equals what cost hundreds of 1980's dollars. 

Really cheap DSP power accompanied by lots of excellent cheap SW has changed the rules of the marketplace. Coupled with current musical and societal trends, it's just a completely different marketplace today. Over the last 20 years, it seems to me the boutique musical instrument market has had explosive growth whereas the mass market stuff has declined and the SW market has matured and became saturated with good options.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/26 00:30:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby outland144k 2017/08/26 01:38:03
Instant gratification.  Just add unrealistic expectations and mix thoroughly.  

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/26 13:10:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/08/31 22:55:46
Plus in order to go play with the drummer down the street you have to go outside (Gaah!)
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/26 17:22:14 (permalink)
bitman
Plus in order to go play with the drummer down the street you have to go outside (Gaah!)

Why?  Don't they have their computer video share set up yet?  

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/26 19:55:40 (permalink)
outland144k
dmbaer
....the iGeneration had no use for such pursuits as making music (unless it was via a no-investment vehicle like Garage Band).  Very, very sad, IMO.

Money's not the only thing the iGen have no interest in investing; the other is time. Immediate gratification is the highest goal for them

That was exactly my point - the time involved.  Maybe I should have said "no-involvement" rather than "no-investment".  Heaven forbid that anything requires that members of the iGeneration take lessons and practice!
outland144k
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/26 22:15:52 (permalink)
dmbaer
outland144k
dmbaer

Money's not the only thing the iGen have no interest in investing; the other is time. Immediate gratification is the highest goal for them

That was exactly my point - the time involved.  Maybe I should have said "no-involvement" rather than "no-investment".  Heaven forbid that anything requires that members of the iGeneration take lessons and practice!

I did take you as commenting on Garage Band's being included as part of the Mac package (rather than a time investment), but it works on that level as well. Well-put regardless, dear sir.

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/27 19:32:59 (permalink)
Hi,

I don't play a guitar so my ability to say something may not sound right.

My take on the whole thing? ... since the guitars all look the same and sound the same ... what's the point of making yet another one exactly like the previous one?

Been watching a whole bunch of different things, and in a TD video, there was this guy playing an electronic acoustic headless guitar ... and no one talks about that ... or different instruments, that have a very different sound and capacities which could/would/might impress a younger generation into taking one of those into account ... nooooooo ... you have to try and learn the saints go drow'ing in paradise yet again, because most guitar and piano teachers don't know any music beyond 5 songs, right?

I think this goes back to one of the Bush's and possibly prior to that, when they started cutting out the artistic budgets so they could finance their own private wars, and we thought that was great for our ego and world emancipation that our membership had more inches than any others!

The interest in the arts has dropped so much, that even here in Portland, their Symphony is having a really hard time ... never mind that the guy running it was born in some planet where they only play the top ten, and he thinks that Chick Corea, Frank Zappa, and Keith Jarrett are not composers ... he thinks they are note hackers.

All in all, we just have to get rid of this uneducated bunch of politicians out of office and maybe cut down the USC/ND and other big school's football budget in half so we can concentrate on the arts a bit more ... 

Oh heck, even Sonar/Cakewalk aren't doing crap about it ... so why should the politicians?

BTW, Harley Davidson is also in dire straits, as are many American companies because they went for the big buck a long time ago, and now can not live under that bigger buck ... and are pricing themselves out of the newer generations of folks learning music. 

The awe and far-out-ness of what a Les Paul and many others did ... is missing today ... and none of those geeks that created the music programs give a damn, and they need to be shown that ... they are geeks, not artists, or musicians!

When we know the difference, I think things will change. Until then ... we will lose a lot more than we can gain!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/27 19:58:31 (permalink)

I think I want some of whatever the Mosh is smoking.
michaelhanson
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/27 20:47:13 (permalink)
slartabartfast

That was a fascinating read.

Mike

iTunes:

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Moshkito
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/29 00:56:09 (permalink)
michaelhanson
slartabartfast

That was a fascinating read.

All in all, it was the synthesizer that ushered a new era in music, and it will be a new instrument and sound that will help usher (more than likely) another ear in music. I think the electric guitar should be involved in this as well, but in the end, the only thing it has given us was loudness ... and more loudness!

Right now, too many things sound the same, and that is not a recipe for creativity, and eventually it will bore everyone, not just me.

This is where progressive, experimental music has the edge. New sounds and new creative works that defy our ears to be able to listen to it, but in a few places, it's like most folks only want more of the same and more of the same and more of the same, and more classical hits .. and after a while we think that music has to sound like that ... and new things do not click with your ears ... and, honestly, this has to change,

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
michaelhanson
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/29 02:43:19 (permalink)
So then, Guitar Center is considering changing its name to Synthesizer Center?

I am really going to go out on a limb here, but I am going to put my money on the human voice being the main instrument in music and everything else, will be secondary to accompany the voice.  The guitar happens to be a very efficient instrument in doing so.  

Gibson's problem is that it has lost its way; as in what its customers really want and in what they will pay.  2015 was a really bad year for Gibson and they are still trying to recover from it.  They still don't quite seem to understand what the buyer wants, either.  

My guess is that they are going to need to scale back to basics and sell off things that are not profitable.  They are going to need to regroup in order to dig out of the hole they dug themselves.  They will probably need to down size and make fewer instruments.  As it has been said, they also need another wave of players coming up from out of the youth.   

Mike

iTunes:

BMI
Moshkito
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/29 14:16:18 (permalink)
michaelhanson
 My guess is that they are going to need to scale back to basics and sell off things that are not profitable.  They are going to need to regroup in order to dig out of the hole they dug themselves.  They will probably need to down size and make fewer instruments.  As it has been said, they also need another wave of players coming up from out of the youth.   

It's a tough call, but either way, folks at Guitar Center, and other places need to learn to invite and help youngsters more, and seeing expensive guitars on the wall, isn't helping too many youngsters learn to play, as most of them would not even have any idea of what the difference is anyway.

All in all, I have no issues with those big stores, other than the fact that they are NOT into the MUSIC at all ... they are into the money side of it, and that is always an issue, when you and I know that the majority of folks out there trying hard to make a living, are not even getting paid ... look at most of you here, right?

And the other sad side of things is the likes of a Berklee and other music schools ... and they are not offering to teach the folks that have no chance, and instead taking on only the "virtuosi" that supposedly give their group a higher stature. Instead, it cuts down the connection to the low end of the scope, and takes the music away from the kids banging plastic buckets on Broadway, many of them way better musicians than those at the bigger named school!

It's a perception issue ... we've come to believe that the "hits" are what determines the ability and musicianship for all players, and as such the focus is not on the folks that play, but on the hits/fame side of it, and as such, you and I know that most kids do not have that ability and we're not doing anything to help the kids learn and get better with it ... but teaching them one song, instead of how to express themselves, has a tendency to limit their learning, and this is one of the toughest sides of "teaching" anything ... you can't change an actor, or musician ... you can only improve their stature and presentation ... and guess where most instructors and stores fail? They think a more expensive guitar or instrument is the difference. 

It isn't! The person is!

eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/29 20:04:54 (permalink)
*robust*:gen x'rs::*work smarter not harder*:millennials.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/08/31 22:02:52 (permalink)
Maybe so after all.

crickets upstairs.
dmclaughlin
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/11/21 20:55:54 (permalink)
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: Gibson Guitar May Default If Company Can't Refinance Its Debt ... Anything to worry ab 2017/11/22 00:10:06 (permalink)
All this because a picture of a Gibson guitar with a wreck in the finnish?

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1