Gigasampler conversions-Garritan Strings?

Author
JBatt
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2007/05/11 22:02:12 (permalink)

Gigasampler conversions-Garritan Strings?

In reconfiguring my studio, I was aiming to relegate one of my computers to just being a Gigasampler box, as Gigasampler would like it anyways.
Someone had suggested getting Rubber Chicken Software and converting them so they can be played via Kontact 2, which I will have since it comes with a library I had my eye on.

I love the idea, as it means I could make my setup simpler, and not need a computer just for Gigasampler.

Most of the sounds I could see no problem--unless some of you have done this and experienced flaws in the way the play from Kontact2, or Halion for that matter.
What I'm kind of wondering about is the Garritan String collection, being interactive with the layer switching triggered by midi notes, and all that. How effectively would these convert, and how would they work as a vst instrument.

I've done plenty of that kind of conversion before with other samplers (i.e. Emu Ultra w' Akai samples, etc) and know there are always things that don't convert.

Anyone try something like this, and would it be worth it?

TIA,

Jeff

8 Replies Related Threads

mcgooze
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 255
    RE: Gigasampler conversions-Garritan Strings? 2007/05/11 23:20:51 (permalink)
    I haven't tried it, but if I get some down time I should (I've been curious about the same thing). I have the Garriton Strings which I trigger on a "Gigabox", and I have Kontakt2 and Chicken Sys Translator. I haven't tried converting the Strings yet- it's an awful lot of material to convert! Do you use Maestro Tools with it? I'm guessing it would work with kontakt... I don't see why it would be particular to Gigastudio. I can tell you that Translator is a little hit & miss. Some things have converted very well, and many things haven't. Before I had Gigastudio, I had a Roland S-770 & an Ensoniq ASR-10 (showing my age!), so I have lots of native Roland & Ensoniq libraries & even some AKAI ones. As a whole, they've converted to Gigastudio better than they did to Kontakt. As for Giga - Kontakt conversion, Garriton's Gigaharp converted to Kontakt pretty well (with a few acceptable glitches), but the Bardstown Piano was unusable in Kontakt (using both Translator and Kontakt's own conversion).

regards,

greg

Greg McGuirk Music & Audio
    www.gmma.biz

JBatt
    RE: Gigasampler conversions-Garritan Strings? 2007/05/12 08:29:52 (permalink)
    Thanks, Greg. Keep me posted. Don't try the whole library, because it absolutely will take
    a while, but maybe one of the typical patches that have the key switches for the variations.
    That's the part I'm afraid of losing.

Thanks for responding.

Jeff
    mcgooze
    RE: Gigasampler conversions-Garritan Strings? 2007/05/15 17:11:29 (permalink)
    Hi Jeff-

OK, I had a minute & tried it. I used the looped & unlooped "All Violin Basic Comb" patches (from the "All Violins KS and Lit.gig" file) as guinea pigs. Translator worked flawlessly- keyswtches were identical to Giga's. I also tried it using Kontakt's native translation. In that case, the keyswitches came out fine, but the envelopes weren't exactly as originally programmed in Giga. I've noticed that before when using Kontakt's own translation abilities, so it's definitely worth it to get Translator if you do go this route. 'Hope that helps.

regards,

greg

www.gmma.biz

JBatt
    RE: Gigasampler conversions-Garritan Strings? 2007/05/15 17:47:34 (permalink)
    Great Greg,
    thanks for checking this out.
    The envelope concerns me, somewhat, as it might mean (and I hope it won't)
    some tedious tweaking.
    Would this be editable in Kontact 2?

My biggest concern would be the key clicks, for sure.
    I don't mind midi editing, but to edit every single nuance (which is sometimes very necessary to get great string arrangements)
    Most of my giga sounds aren't elaborate like the Garritan strings, so less of an issue there.
    And I was ready to get the GPO (have you tried those at all?)

This would allow me to streamline and dump the computer entirely.
    Gigasampler causes too much havoc for other software sharing the same computer, at least as far as the soundcard/drivers are concerned, so if I was going to use it, it would stay on that box, but if I can dump it altogether, all the better.

Thanks so much!

Jeff
    mcgooze
    RE: Gigasampler conversions-Garritan Strings? 2007/05/15 18:29:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JBatt
    The envelope concerns me, somewhat, as it might mean (and I hope it won't)
    some tedious tweaking.

well again, keep in mind that the envelope issues were only there when i tried letting Kontakt do the conversion. When I used Translator to do the conversion, I could not hear any difference between the file played on my giga computer compared to being played in Kontakt (as a VST instrument in Sonar).

Would this be editable in Kontact 2?

I would venture to guess yes. Kontakt's editing abilities are pretty deep, both on an individual sample or on a group of them.

And I was ready to get the GPO (have you tried those at all?)

'Haven't tried them. If I do anything, I'll likely upgrade to the Vienna stuff or similar... more to beef up my brass, Woodwinds, Solo strings etc. I'm pretty happy with the Garritan Strings though.

This would allow me to streamline and dump the computer entirely.
    Gigasampler causes too much havoc for other software sharing the same computer, at least as far as the soundcard/drivers are concerned, so if I was going to use it, it would stay on that box, but if I can dump it altogether, all the better.

That was my original intent when I got Kontakt. I haven't dumped the Giga rig yet because a lot of my Roland & Akai stuff hasn't converted too well. I'll probably eventually add Giga VST. If all works well with that, then I'll probably dump the Giga box ....which is still a Win 98 machine running Giga 2.5, with an Aardvark card that has no XP drivers. It's old but rock solid!

Thanks so much!

Jeff

yer welcome!

greg

www.gmma.biz

JBatt
    RE: Gigasampler conversions-Garritan Strings? 2007/05/15 20:20:52 (permalink)

That was my original intent when I got Kontakt. I haven't dumped the Giga rig yet because a lot of my Roland & Akai stuff hasn't converted too well. I'll probably eventually add Giga VST. If all works well with that, then I'll probably dump the Giga box ....which is still a Win 98 machine running Giga 2.5, with an Aardvark card that has no XP drivers. It's old but rock solid!

Well, I'm glad you mentioned that. I have a lot of Roland sounds, and I think some AKAI as well. Don't use it a lot, but might be worth keeping in mind.

I'm rethinking my setup some more, and right now, trying to find out about Tascam
    mixers, since I was considering the Mackie controls.
    The Tascam has HUI 'emulation' which I'm not sure how good it is, but
    of course they bundle Giga LE 3.0, which I'm not sure I'd use, as I would guess, still streams from the kernel level. That VST sounds interesting, though.

Regards,

Jeff
    mcgooze
    RE: Gigasampler conversions-Garritan Strings? 2007/05/16 16:54:56 (permalink)
    Hey Jeff-

some bummer news... you got me inspired to start converting my GOS library to Kontakt. I just got through the Violins (using Translator's latest version & build) & there's a lot of hit & miss- mostly in short bow sounds. Enough so that I probably won't bother converting the whole library but will continue triggering it from my old Giga box (until I get the Giga VST version). 'Thought you should know.

regards,

greg

www.gmma.biz

JBatt
    RE: Gigasampler conversions-Garritan Strings? 2007/05/18 15:18:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mcgoo

Hey Jeff-

some bummer news... you got me inspired to start converting my GOS library to Kontakt. I just got through the Violins (using Translator's latest version & build) & there's a lot of hit & miss- mostly in short bow sounds. Enough so that I probably won't bother converting the whole library but will continue triggering it from my old Giga box (until I get the Giga VST version). 'Thought you should know.

regards,
    Thanks! I'll hold off on the translator and do the same, till I figure out what I'm going to do. It's enough right now, just getting my new comp together and figuring out what other 'little' upgrading I'll be needing to do. Really appreciate your checking into this--saved me a few moments of groaning, sighing and gnashing of teeth.

Jeff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1