Give Me A Chance

Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
2011/08/21 20:40:59 (permalink)

Give Me A Chance

New Song. Here is some of the background on it. 

It is written for a local pregnancy center that helps young girls who find themselves in difficult situations.

The lyrics are by Pat Bishop and Herb Hartley.

The band is the upper room studio band.

There are a  few firsts on this song.

1. I upgraded from MC4 to X1 and this is the first song that rolled off the new DAW. Tracking started on MC4 and was finished on X1.

2. I bought a mandolin recently, and I am playing it pretty much straight through on this song. (one take)

3. I recorded a singer other than me. The singer is Cassie Helms (16) who is a friend of my daughter. I was told she could sing, and asked her to sing this before I ever heard her actually sing.

4. I recorded a child singing for the first time. The child is my niece, (7) whose mom graciously allowed her daughter, Sydney Bradbury to come and sing in my studio. We actually did her parts in one session of about 30 minutes in length.

Here is the song>  Give Me A Chance

Have a listen and comments are welcome.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 

21 Replies Related Threads

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/21 20:47:25 (permalink)
    OK, what do you want to say about this, excellently recorded, the vocal could be a tad louder, at the begining.

What else can I say, beautiful job!!!

Ok, I can say, it's a tad milky, the clarity is just a little off in places. (Sorry I review as I listen)

Great job, though, I like the little kid bit, I would have used VVocal to make me sound like a kid but that is such a sweet and geuine moment.

Sweet Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    tcaylor
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 701
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 00:24:45 (permalink)
    Wow, This is great! I love the message and the delivery. The child singing was a very nice touch. The mandolin was perfect as well. Excellent clarity on the mix. Great song.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
    karalie7@aol.com
    • Total Posts : 712
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 00:52:36 (permalink)
    The mix is nice. The violin and mandolin are wonderful additions. The bass and drum are well played too. The vocal is good. I like the bridge in the song. I might try another child's voice if you could (maybe this won't be politically right in your family just talking about the child's vocal tone). Great song.
    stillnotbanned
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 00:53:59 (permalink)
    :-) You'll enjoy that mandolin :-D I LOVE playing the mando! Such a cool instrument... A mandolin is a violin with frets you know? Try it without the frets... You won't be able to understand how someone like Scott Campbell can do what he does? 

That little girlie can sing... She will be quite a singer one day soon. I would mix her up just a bit higher/maybe compress her a little more?

I didn't care so much for that little kid singing? But I understand where you were going with the song. Good job overall.

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 01:00:15 (permalink)
    Any song with a good ol' Helms singer can't be bad! 

Tell cuz i like her voice.

Nice song Herb, very touching.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 01:05:33 (permalink)
    Any song with a good ol' Helms singer can't be bad! 

Tell cuz i like her voice.

Nice song Herb, very touching.

O dis agree with the Child vocal comments. It is not important that she is not a polished singer, but that the vocal from the 7 year old was touching, and powerful in the way of sensibility.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 03:49:59 (permalink)
    lovely tune Herb. a good singer as well. nice to hear you get away from the BIAB sound on this one!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 07:17:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the good comments all .... the child is singing slightly different lyrics in her version of the chorus. That changes the perspective from the mom's POV to the unborn child's POV.

BMI/NSAI

malcolmb
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 09:15:57 (permalink)
    It would be far too trite of me to write the usual comments - "love it, stunning, fine song" and so forth. All that is true but there is such power in the message and performance of this piece that it transcends mere words. I am not an emotional person (or at least I do try to give that impression!), but this piece definitely touched me. All those involved in creating this piece should be very proud of what they have achieved. Best Regards Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 13:02:27 (permalink)
    That's nice Herb, Cassie will be a good singer in time. She's obviously new to recording, but puts in a good performance here. Music backing is excellent, love the fiddle.

The child's voice - I think I get what you're going for, but to be honest, it sounds a little weird to me in context of the subject matter.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 13:22:41 (permalink)
    Thanks James.... yeah it was Cassies first time in a studio situation. 

BMI/NSAI

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 13:46:20 (permalink)
    Well, to me, and if you want an opinion. Drums are too loud a bit that is all. I think you need a different mic on the singer (or equalization for upper sibilance ) and well, the niece, ah, perhaps, ah, well, either too young or needs a bit improvement for that, or needs to get more experience by doing it over a few times and pointing out how to sing in the song.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Let the sound patches do it (or the computer in the synth)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKQc_9JdcvE
    now on to timing. Warning given with video.
    Hey standard about warning given in computer games, just changed to video.

Guitarhacker
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 14:58:01 (permalink)
    Thanks spacealf comments noted. 

We're probably not going to do that... although I might rework the drums.... they have kind of bothered me just a tiny bit.... they are a bit too busy in a few spots, but I did like the sound of them. We'll see.

BMI/NSAI

philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 17:23:26 (permalink)
    First off, congratz on writing a really great song.  I felt it just had everything going for it.

The performances were excellent (well, maybe a little VVocal on the 7 YO ).  Given that it was written and recorded toward a specific purpose, it makes it's point very dramatically.  And, honestly, I thought the drums were pretty good, and there were some nice fills in there too.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/22 20:17:28 (permalink)
    Thanks Phil.... I have to give a lot of the lyric writing credits to Pat. She is an amazing word smith, and she tends to bring out the better side of my creative spirit, musically and lyrically,  when we work together.

I was picturing the drummer playing this, and it would be an interesting thing to watch.

I have considered melodyne on the 7yo vox.... and still might play with it, but the sincerity of the vocals seem more important then perfect pitch.

BMI/NSAI

SeriousNoize
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/23 01:13:21 (permalink)
    You upgraded to X1???? Sadly, this has too much digital sound in the song, and there is no bottom end on the sound. Just my opinion. I'm talking about "DEPTH IN THE SOUND". Not Crispness. You've always been a great player Herb. And honestly I love the tune, it's great. But you would have been better off to have recorded this using MC4, instead of trying to go for all this clarity stuff. If I wanted to hear a saw I would go out and use one wide open. There's too much brightness in this tune's mixdown, plain and simple that's my opinion. The vocals are pretty good, but because of the clarity you can hear the excess NOISE. Sorry if this upsets you, I"m not out on a mission to GO AFTER HERBS POST. I actually like your music, and what I am saying is while everyone else is kissing your butt to be nice, I'm going to tell ya what I hear. There's too much sharpness in the tone plain and simple. You've got to have a balance in the sound. Sorry to upset you if I do. THe thing is, nobody ever got a chance to hear what my mixes sounded like for the most part, so there's nothing to compare them to. Either way. That is my opinion. I wish you well with your post and enjoyed hearing it, but I'm not gonna lie and say everything's perfect like most everyone else, I am honest. Good Luck!
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/23 08:03:05 (permalink)
    I am trying to remember who this singer sounds like, but I can't figure it out.

Loved that mandolin. And the violin.

The kid was a nice touch.

The song is not my cuppa, but it works, for sure.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/23 08:38:58 (permalink)
    @SN.... yeah I upgraded to X1.... but the interesting thing is.... I was back & forth between X1 and MC4 during the whole process here. I started in it 4 with a bunch of tracks..... and then loaded X1 and opened it there. I recorded in X1 several of the tracks. Here's the interesting thing.... they are both digital. They both have the same frequency response and they both run the same VST's and FX.  Opening and playing this song in either... everything loads and they both sound identical.  

I'm OK with the comments from anyone about anything.  I understand there are personal likes and dislikes. I'm good with everything you said up to and including this> Sorry if this upsets you.  What followed that was, shall we say, uncalled for? Attacking the opinions of others who enjoyed the song for what it is. 

@James.... I really like the quality Cassie has in her voice. Working with her was a pleasure. She came in with a willing attitude, did the course corrections I pointed out and we got the tracks.  Like any teen, she focuses on lots of "teen things" but if she really worked on her voice..... she would be freaking amazing. I think, maybe, this song showed her that.  

I bought that mandolin a few months back and had been looking for the song to play it on..... this one seemed to be the right one.... so, since it's not electric, I used the NT-2A on it about 12" out. It sounded pretty good if I do say so myself.  Violin is Real Band.

I think the song does what we wrote it for.  

BMI/NSAI

lostandconfused
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/23 14:45:39 (permalink)
    Hi Herb (and friends),

At the risk of appearing 'trite' I enjoyed that.  As for 'constructive criticism' I could only think that the 'unborn' child's voice might have been spoken rather than sung - but that's just me.

Please pass on my best wishes to your collaborators and tell Cassie if she decides to have another go I, for one, will give it a listen.

Regards,

Vincent.
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/23 20:57:12 (permalink)
    Nice mando! The violin is 'almost' real sounding. Vocals are well performed. I can tell the little one is related to you...she sings just like you.  The mix is very bright and hissy though.

String Jammer
    Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re:Give Me A Chance 2011/08/24 05:30:43 (permalink)
    Hi Herb, Really great. Nice arrangement and performances all around. Very simple tune and quite effective. I agree w/ Scottytunes that the mix is a bit bright. If I were mixing this I'd autotune Cassie. She does a really great job, but shes a bit imperfect at times and half the tunes in Nashville, from what I hear take world class singers and auto tune their whole vocals anyway (I'm talking about non-apparent pitch correction, not the Cher effect kind). This is really nice. Peace, Ian
    post edited by Ian Ferrin - 2011/08/24 05:49:18

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1