Give us Clean Hands Cover

Author
All4Him
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
2011/10/21 11:00:43 (permalink)

Give us Clean Hands Cover

Hey All,
     This is the first song I have posted here. I would like some feedback on the recording and the mix. I've got a long way to go but having fun getting there. Thanks, Dan

http://soundcloud.com/dan../give-us-clean-hands-v6
post edited by All4Him - 2011/10/22 22:54:43

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sonar Producer X3, Intel i5, 8Gb Ram,  Win 7 64bit,
MOTU 896mk3, Event 20/20 bas, M-Audio Axiom 61

12 Replies Related Threads

Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Give us Clean Hands Cover 2011/10/21 11:44:10 (permalink)
    Hi AllEHim,

Very nice arrangement and sound.  I love that song and am a worship team leader for one of the groups at my Church.  My comments are:
    1.  Lead vocal is sung a little ahead of the beat overall.  Need to move the audio back a click or re-sing.
    2.  Reverb a little strong on the accoustics.
    3  Are the strings run through any type of analog or tube module?  They sound good but maybe need a little more soft top end on the high EQ?

You are doing great.  Keep it up!

Rimshot
    post edited by Rimshot - 2011/10/21 12:29:39

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    LanceJ
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 331
    Re:Give us Clean Hands Cover 2011/10/21 11:45:53 (permalink)
    Reminds me of a Chris Tomlin styled piece.

Love acoustic guitar and yours sound great.  

A harmonizing on your chorus would blend well with your voice I believe.  Maybe something to experiment with for fun.

I also hear this as a sing-a-long worship song.  A 'call and answer' in your recording would help lead the audience in participation.

Thanks for sharing.

Lance

Keeping it simple

www.sonusproject.com
    Sonar X3d 64 bit , Exclusively using software synths & FX, D-Pro, Rapture, zt3a+2
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, GPO3, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, EastWest, Chris Hein Horns, Presonus FireStudio Project Audio Interface, Roland A80 Midi Controller, Tannoy 501A Monitors  

Win 7 Pro 64, I7-2600, 8GB DDR3, w/Firewire

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Give us Clean Hands Cover 2011/10/21 13:01:47 (permalink)
    Nice song.... the vox are good. 

the problem I hear is in the backing instruments.  in the intro & V1... the strings are breaking up.... like a low level distortion.... in the first verse they drop out and it's clean. I heard it again towards the end. 

How did you record the backing tracks?  What synths? How did you record the Acoustic guitar? 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Give us Clean Hands Cover 2011/10/21 13:18:45 (permalink)
    Real nice!  As much as I like hearing the words distinctly, like I can hear, I wonder if the vocals aren't a tiny bit loud. But you have a good voice!  I also hear them a tad early, like rimshot mentioned.  A few notes are a little bit flat, like 'give us' at 1:47.  Percussion, bass and guitar sounds real good.

Great job, especially for a first one.  I look forward to more.  :) 
    All4Him
    Re:Give us Clean Hands Cover 2011/10/21 15:07:55 (permalink)
    Thank you all for your encouragement and the tips. I am going to try some of it tonight and I will post another version. I did bup the vox a bit later and it made a big difference.

The backing synth is Dimension Pro - Warm Hand 2. I also put the Sonitus Modulator on it. It might have sounded better without the Modulator.

The Acoustic was recorded with a large diaphragm condenser about a foot away. I am never happy with my acoustic sound. I would like a more distant sound. That's why I end up with too much reverb. Next time I might try to record it in the sanctuary at church to take my small room out of the equation.

Thanks, Dan
    post edited by All4Him - 2011/10/21 15:17:01

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Give us Clean Hands Cover 2011/10/21 18:39:11 (permalink)
    I have just begun experimenting with mic placement on acoustic. Out front I tend to get a big lower/middle bump that is irritating. So I tried overhead...right next to my ear, because I like the way it sounds to my ear...so why not put the mic there?  It sounded pretty good. I'll be working more on that tonight.

What you want with acoustic is a nice full sound without EQ issues. You can add reverb to get the distant sound. Small rooms are OK, probably better than the big ones.... You can make a small room sound big, but try to reverse that...... not so easy. 

Yeah ... if you put a modulator on the synth.... take it off. 

BMI/NSAI

All4Him
    Re:Give us Clean Hands Cover 2011/10/22 00:45:17 (permalink)
    Thanks Guitarhacker! I will have to try the over the shoulder mic technique next song. I seem to have trouble with exaggerated pick attack. On this song I used a deesser to tame it a little. Over the shoulder might help with that. Come to think of it I remember getting a decent sound while trying to capture both vocal and guitar at the same time with a single mic. I think I will try guitar only with the mic pointing toward my face also.

BTW, which Saffire interface do you have?

Dan

BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Give us Clean Hands Cover 2011/10/22 13:45:46 (permalink)
    great cover + + 1  ---- suggestion less reverb
    MetalTeK
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Give us Clean Hands Cover 2011/10/22 16:05:28 (permalink)
    Not my forte' but I thought everything sounded great.  But I agree with Janet on the vox.  They sound great but it's like they are too centered or kinda "in your face".  Maybe some panning or something to add a little more space to them. 

All4Him
    Re:Give us Clean Hands Cover 2011/10/22 23:07:04 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone. I updated the link with a new version. I brought the vocals down a bit, reduced the reverb, removed the modulator on the pad and it turns out my EQ on the pad was not engaged. It's still not the sound I have in my head but I think I will get closer on the next one.

@guitarhacker
    How did the over the shoulder micing go? I would love to hear the results.

Guitarhacker
    Re:Give us Clean Hands Cover 2011/10/22 23:31:45 (permalink)
    The miking worked well... very sweet sounding. I still have work to do but the song is called "So I'm Told" and it should be ready for prime time in a week or so.... I'll post it here. Having the mike up high lets if capture the same approximate sound I hear with my ears..... I also miked at 2 feet away, and it also losses some of the midrange box sound of the guitar, which in my opinion is a good thing. 

Much better on the mix.  One nit ..... I would now look at scooping the midrange a bit, That would tend to clean up the mud in the midrange area.....to be the best sounding place in this song currently is in the first chorus.... the synth has dropped out? and the vox and AG are there all alone.  

Oh ..... please remove that thing...it starts at V2 ...... is it a bass drum, a tom or something else? It has a pitch and a resonance that is killing this song.... remove it totally. It quit right before the end..... if it has to be there, tame it and the resonance.  It would actually sound better if it sounded like hands on a cardboard box or desk top. EQ and verb can make that sound pretty cool sometimes.  A shaker would work too. 

OK back to the mix.... you're headed in the right direction. A few more tweeks and you'll be there. 

BMI/NSAI

Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Give us Clean Hands Cover 2011/10/23 10:05:46 (permalink)
    Not my idea of topic. (recovering catholic here)

I think there is too much reverb on things. When I add reverb, I solo the instrument and try and keep the tail pretty short unless I want something more drastic.

Other than that, well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1