Helpful ReplyGive us New Panning Options like the Goodhertz PanPot

Author
theheliosequence
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 125
2015/04/22 23:52:29 (permalink)
3.67 (3)

Give us New Panning Options like the Goodhertz PanPot

There is this new program by Goodhertz (sadly Mac only) that has some new ways of looking at panning that are really cool and really unique (in their new plugin PanPot). I think it would be cool to be able to select special panning modes (or give us an update channel tools plugin) that would allow some cool new ways of panning.

Besides the tradition way of panning based on volume changing from side to side, we'd also have these new options.

Below are the 4 different ways you can pan in Panpot. Here is a video showing them in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pSdHLPdohA

Panning Types
Level — a refined version of the classic level pan, Panpot’s Level panning offers superior automatability and includes several pan law options.
Level panning (-3dB pan law with compensation)
Delay — the Delay panning module creates a strong sense of sidedness without altering the stereo level balance. By using small time delays that closely model human hearing delays (at 1x), the Delay pan produces immersive stereo images with more depth and width.
Delay panning left/right arrival times
Spectral — Panpot’s Spectral panning works by changing the timbre of the stereo image, focusing higher frequency sounds toward the pan direction. TheSpectral algorithm mimics the type of head shadowing that occurs in nature and can sound hard-panned without feeling ungrounded or off-kilter in the low end.
Spectral panning shown for three different frequencies
Phase — The most unusual panning type: Panpot’s Phase module creates a constant phase shift between the left and right channels. Similar to Delaypanning, Phase panning does not alter the stereo level balance but instead alters the arrival times of the left/right channels. Phase panning can help move elements out of the center of a mix, decluttering the mono image and creating a more expansive sound field.
Phase panning shown at 1x 

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Give us New Panning Options like the Goodhertz PanPot 2015/04/23 09:35:13 (permalink)
These would be very interesting options to have - so here is my vote!

Still, I would also like to see panning of stereo tracks addressed as regards width, rotation and asymmetry - possibly in a similar manner than done in WAVES S1 (see screenshot).

I know I could do width and rotation in channel tools by using the L and R sliders, but grouping the same control as width and rotation as WAVES S1 does is way more intuitive (and also found in many mixers of VSTis) ... one could simply add a width knob next to pan ... and asymmetry next to it (with capability to show/hide in console view) ... it dont really need the visual display of the blue wedge (as in S1) if I have 3 rotaries and my ears ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Give us New Panning Options like the Goodhertz PanPot 2015/04/23 09:47:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2015/04/23 09:57:12
+1 (1)
This sort of functionality is best implemented as a separate plugin, whether CW decided to write one themselves or buy a third-party product. What it should not be is additional panning options, for the simple reason that modes 2, 3 and 4 are not panning options - they are widening techniques.

Of those three modes, only the "delay pan" concept would find broad acceptance among mixers. That's because it's a standard widening technique known as the Haas Effect. And fortunately for us, there are many Windows-based plugins that can do it.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Give us New Panning Options like the Goodhertz PanPot 2015/04/23 14:11:19 (permalink)
+1 (1)
This is another topic that has come a few times before.... 

For me, all I'd really want/need is a Width widget.   I usually use the BT Imager for this but would be very happy with a track based Width control.   Oh, and the ability to group Pan and Width together, of course, using the existing Absolute, Relative and Custom options.  

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1