AnsweredGoing to Bentota

Author
biozel
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
2017/08/29 18:53:55 (permalink)

Going to Bentota

hi all,

this is my new track "Going to Bentota".

https://soundcloud.com/mykhailo-skachkov/going-to-bentota

all the work except mastering was made in Sonar Platinum.
so far this is most complex project i made.

i would appreciate your feedback very much.
Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Going to Bentota 2017/08/30 19:19:02 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby biozel 2017/08/31 13:09:51
Hi Michael (Mykhailo),
I was drawn to the title of your song being that I'm from Sri Lanka......have you been to Bentota?
Will give this a listen to when I get home and post back.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Going to Bentota 2017/08/30 23:36:43 (permalink)
Really like the chill approach, the wooshy floaty ambient pad, the snappy drum riffage, and the other elements that arrive and leave. Thumbs up for coolness!

Pretty cool delay work on the vocal samples!

Two ideas - I think you need to get a hold of the bass guitar processing. It sounds like it's clipping. Are you eq'ing it with much of the highs rolled off? I'd be tempted to roll off a little more, maybe even down to 500 hz. This applies to the first bass guitar, not the one that comes in later.

Second, that little piano riff could perhaps use a little reverb to go with it. Or more.

I liked the horns and wanted them louder as well. 

This sounds like a very complex and well-worked project. A very good listen!

cheers,
-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: Going to Bentota 2017/08/31 00:08:46 (permalink)
Brilliant piece of work.  So many different sounds and textures going on here.  It's long but never gets boring because you keep the changes coming. Nice progressive work!

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
biozel
Re: Going to Bentota 2017/08/31 13:11:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2017/08/31 14:30:12
hi Mesh,

yes, i had wonderful vacations in Bentota.
basically i wrote a melody and harmony for this track right the day before i went to Bentota
so the track is representing that actual travelling :)
biozel
Re: Going to Bentota 2017/08/31 13:19:45 (permalink)
thank you for the feedback!

speaking about things you mentioned:
* the floaty pad (and some other elements) was intentionally implemented to provide the feel of sea waves
(as the track is about going to the sea). so crashes or strings crescendos are also about various types of waves so to speak
* the bass guitar was main challenge for me and i agree that i didn't make it perfect. it has to much saturation imho. the level is also arguable. but that is lack of experience i guess. this is only my third track. so far i don't have the method so to speak but rather rely on my personal taste. this is definitely what i'm going to try to improve in. i agree, on first two verses the bass is too present
* the same problem as with bass goes with piano riff. i struggled with leveling it and the result is the best what i could do at the moment.
* i also struggled with arranging horns, i'm not satisfied with them, there are certainly places when they seem to disappear when you want them to hear. i hope to fix things like this with experience :)
* the project contains 107 tracks so mixing was a bit hard for me. i agree that i didn't do it perfect, there's a room to improve.

emeraldsoul
Really like the chill approach, the wooshy floaty ambient pad, the snappy drum riffage, and the other elements that arrive and leave. Thumbs up for coolness!

Pretty cool delay work on the vocal samples!

Two ideas - I think you need to get a hold of the bass guitar processing. It sounds like it's clipping. Are you eq'ing it with much of the highs rolled off? I'd be tempted to roll off a little more, maybe even down to 500 hz. This applies to the first bass guitar, not the one that comes in later.

Second, that little piano riff could perhaps use a little reverb to go with it. Or more.

I liked the horns and wanted them louder as well. 

This sounds like a very complex and well-worked project. A very good listen!

cheers,
-Tom

biozel
Re: Going to Bentota 2017/08/31 13:21:52 (permalink)
Johnbee58
Brilliant piece of work.  So many different sounds and textures going on here.  It's long but never gets boring because you keep the changes coming. Nice progressive work!

John B.

thank you! i had doubts someone likes it, especially on latest stages of production,
when you heard the track so many times that you just hate it :)
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1