Good CHEAP Audio Interface??

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ACE STOKES 2.0
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 141
2010/10/21 17:46:06 (permalink)

Good CHEAP Audio Interface??

After years of hating my sound-re doing the guitar wiring "a few times"-and spending the afternoon reading Audio Interface posts-It seems that I should have been using an audio interface all along. Guitar-cable-PC Line In AIN'T CUTTIN' IT!!!! I had a POD and a V-Amp-got rid of them. I was using a GuitarPort for a while but it taxed the CPU. So now using guitar-cable-PC Line In to Simulanalog Marshall with Red Wires IR'S. Still using GTP3. UA-1G??? Something different?? Anything better than nothing??

46 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/21 19:19:26 (permalink)
    How much is cheap?

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/22 09:38:08 (permalink)
    AT

How much is cheap?

Karl Childers might say "Summ'ers betwist free and $100 I reckon Mmm Hmm."
    I know ya get what ya pay for most times. I've read good reviews on the the UA-1G. I haven't tried a DI box yet-might start there. I could always use more RAM too!!
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/22 11:34:14 (permalink)
    $99 is about as cheap as they go, looking at Guitar Center.  You can probably find something lower if you shop.  For $99 I'd probably go w/ the Cake/Roland USB unit.  I mean, it should work w/ SONAR, right.

I'd also do a search in the Hardware forum since this topic comes up and you can see which users have had success with what units.  It is all a matter of drivers at this price point and finding one that works w/ your system.  If it doesn't, send it back and get a different unit.  The sound quality is about the same.

For a little more ($200) you have more choices.  Mine would be the TC Konnekt 6.  I have the 48 and it has superb sound/features. SOS rated the TCK 6 as the best sounding interface under $500 (it used to be more expensive).

Good luck.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/22 13:00:26 (permalink)
    check my website in my signature for some soundcard recommendations.  $100 is a little low, you can get some really good ones at $150-$200.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/22 13:12:40 (permalink)
    maudio audiophile 2496.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

john6448
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/22 17:11:05 (permalink)
    I was in your shoes ten days ago, raised the same question, had the same target price. I ended up buying an Audiophile 192 ($155 no tax free shipping from a reputable eBay dealer) after doing some homework, and I'm very pleased with my decision. Since I was going to be using my interface strictly on my single desktop computer, and internal PCI card made sense. Windows 7 64 bit support was crucial to me, it may not be to you. The 2496 would have been a good choice for me as well.

One thing I didn't adequately think through before my purchase was headphone connectivity. The 192, being an internal card with ports in the back, didn't have it. Therefore I ended up buying a $99 Mackie desktop mixer which brings other benefits as well. However, having spent about $255 on the two items, I could have purchased a USB external audio interface and saved a few bucks. The Mackie Onyx ($199) is one audio interface option I didn't see until after I had purchased my internal card. Still, it does not have MIDI connection which I needed.

My one piece of advice is to take some time to identify all the elements in your setup that could affect your choice. What do you do? What do you NOT do? What do you have in your setup that must be accounted for?

John B.
    ------------------
    Sonar X2 Producer
    Primary Use: Orchestral MIDI with Softsynths 
    2.5 GHz Core2 Quad 8300, 8 GB RAM 
    Windows 7 64-bit
    VSL Special Edition
    Cinematic Strings 2

ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/23 10:46:03 (permalink)
    AT

$99 is about as cheap as they go, looking at Guitar Center.  You can probably find something lower if you shop.  For $99 I'd probably go w/ the Cake/Roland USB unit.  I mean, it should work w/ SONAR, right.

I'd also do a search in the Hardware forum since this topic comes up and you can see which users have had success with what units.  It is all a matter of drivers at this price point and finding one that works w/ your system.  If it doesn't, send it back and get a different unit.  The sound quality is about the same.

For a little more ($200) you have more choices.  Mine would be the TC Konnekt 6.  I have the 48 and it has superb sound/features. SOS rated the TCK 6 as the best sounding interface under $500 (it used to be more expensive).

Good luck.

@
           Thanks for the info! That TC unit is pretty sweet!! I read so much the past two days on these MB's. Then all the post answer suggestions on my post!! I realize my post header was/is kinda dumb. Good & cheap. It'll be one or the other I'm sure-hard to have both!! I need to roll some more pennies it looks like!!

ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/23 10:49:36 (permalink)
    Beagle

check my website in my signature for some soundcard recommendations.  $100 is a little low, you can get some really good ones at $150-$200.

Thanks Beag!! It's nice to see I'm not the only one to have used the O'shaughnessy lyric!! Great minds think alike!!
    ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/23 11:01:46 (permalink)
    batsbrew

maudio audiophile 2496.

Thanks Brother!! I've always liked M-Audio stuff since I saw  Dave Meniketti with a FireWire 410. At the time of this old show (AWESOME!) they were WAY out of my price range!! Now they litter ebay!!
              I was shocked to read on the MB's here how many people trashed M-Audio stuff!! Whatever I end up with is NOT going to be brand new. I was using a SB"something" with a break out box a while ago. But once I moved and set it all back up it wouldn't work any more. M-(for maybe) Audio!!
    ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/23 11:18:48 (permalink)
    john6448

I was in your shoes ten days ago, raised the same question, had the same target price. I ended up buying an Audiophile 192 ($155 no tax free shipping from a reputable eBay dealer) after doing some homework, and I'm very pleased with my decision. Since I was going to be using my interface strictly on my single desktop computer, and internal PCI card made sense. Windows 7 64 bit support was crucial to me, it may not be to you. The 2496 would have been a good choice for me as well.

One thing I didn't adequately think through before my purchase was headphone connectivity. The 192, being an internal card with ports in the back, didn't have it. Therefore I ended up buying a $99 Mackie desktop mixer which brings other benefits as well. However, having spent about $255 on the two items, I could have purchased a USB external audio interface and saved a few bucks. The Mackie Onyx ($199) is one audio interface option I didn't see until after I had purchased my internal card. Still, it does not have MIDI connection which I needed.

My one piece of advice is to take some time to identify all the elements in your setup that could affect your choice. What do you do? What do you NOT do? What do you have in your setup that must be accounted for?
                 Hey John!
                                Cool ebay find!! The Onyx sounds nice! I went to the Mackie site-good read!! I don't see myself ever doing Midi-It always sounds like old Atari sounds-So I must be doing something VERY wrong or not have the right gear. So I stick to my LP and a  P.O.C. bass and BetaMonkey drum loops. One day if it's EVER quiet enough I'll be doing vocals at some point!! So I don't need a lot-just better versions of what I have!! If I put my PC stats in my signature I would be laughed off of the CW world forever!! Thanks for  the info!!
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/23 17:59:26 (permalink)
    I was shocked to read on the MB's here how many people trashed M-Audio stuff!!

well, i use maudio.

i post my mixes here all the time.

anyone who cares, can review my tunes and discuss the quality of the digital conversion.
    anyone.

there's always going to be gear that sounds better......
    and costs a lot more.

point is, you use what you have, and get the most out of it. that's what i do.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/23 18:29:37 (permalink)
    I can recommend a miamidi by Echo as well as the M-Audio 2496 or 192 in that price range.

(well, youre talking 50 bux more or maybe less on a good find)

These are all PCI based setup which will have the best lopw latency performance.

If you have to go USB, Id also say try cakewalks product in that price range.

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/23 18:41:12 (permalink)

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/25 15:23:06 (permalink)
    batsbrew

I was shocked to read on the MB's here how many people trashed M-Audio stuff!!

well, i use maudio.

i post my mixes here all the time.

anyone who cares, can review my tunes and discuss the quality of the digital conversion.
    anyone.

there's always going to be gear that sounds better......
    and costs a lot more.

point is, you use what you have, and get the most out of it. that's what i do.

Amen Brother!! That's what I do too!!  The award goes to....M Audio!!! *cheers-confetti!!
    ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/25 15:27:19 (permalink)
    Lanceindastudio

http://losangeles.craigsl...fv/msg/2009703831.html

The link expired before I got to look!! Yeah M Audio-most likely-Wendsday is shopping day!!
    ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/25 16:33:22 (permalink)
    Anyone try/have this? CEntrance Axe Port Pro All the demo's I heard/saw were blue's-just wondered if it could handle hard rock/metal??
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/25 17:27:20 (permalink)
    Seems to be a bit pricie to not have at least one low-z plug.
    I would save my dollars till I could get some thing that I could a least plug a mic into it. Even if I did not sing, I am sure at some point I would put a mic in front of my amp. Just sayin!
    Beagle
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/25 20:09:24 (permalink)
    ACE STOKES 2.0

Anyone try/have this? CEntrance Axe Port Pro All the demo's I heard/saw were blue's-just wondered if it could handle hard rock/metal??

I wouldn't.  I helped someone with that before.  it's OK, but it's not nearly as good as something on the lists.

Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/25 21:30:22 (permalink)
    MACKIE ONYX BLACKJACK is a little higher than you want to spend, but should be pretty good, but I'd check their forum if there aer any driver bugs first.

I have the previous version (Satellite), and it does very well for what I paid for it, however I had to go to a third party driver to get the best performance out of it.

It has everything you need for a project studio except for midi, and the pre's are good enough to keep you away from outboard gear for a long while.

All the stuff on my soundclick page were done with the satellite.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/26 10:09:44 (permalink)
    Thatsastrat

Seems to be a bit pricie to not have at least one low-z plug.
    I would save my dollars till I could get some thing that I could a least plug a mic into it. Even if I did not sing, I am sure at some point I would put a mic in front of my amp. Just sayin!

Yeah I noticed that too!! Yes at some point when there is something solid enough to sing(scream) over I will be doing vocals!! Miking my amp?? You're trying real hard to get me kicked outta this place!!
                      It seems like a nice thing to try once for the novelty of it. I doubt  if it is plugged in and ready to go in the Electric Lady control room!! It cane up in a search so I checked it-PASS!!
    ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/26 10:16:22 (permalink)
    Beagle

ACE STOKES 2.0

I wouldn't.  I helped someone with that before.  it's OK, but it's not nearly as good as something on the lists.

Oh I know!! I would rather have something solid on the desk or in a PCI slot. I never was too fond of wearin' gear (remember the Zoom 9002-built in strap slots??!!) Payday/shopping day is comin'!!
    ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/26 10:28:35 (permalink)
    Ron Vogel

MACKIE ONYX BLACKJACK is a little higher than you want to spend, but should be pretty good, but I'd check their forum if there aer any driver bugs first.

I have the previous version (Satellite), and it does very well for what I paid for it, however I had to go to a third party driver to get the best performance out of it.

It has everything you need for a project studio except for midi, and the pre's are good enough to keep you away from outboard gear for a long while.

All the stuff on my soundclick page were done with the satellite.

WOW!! I like it!! Yeah not having Midi is ok with me. Mackie-M Audio??  Mackie-M Audio?? Money??? MMMM!!!! Decisions??? *Dizzy*  ......pennies....shipping......message boards...........

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/26 11:05:12 (permalink)
    Remember as well that if you do decide later that you need MIDI there are plenty of decent MIDI USB interfaces around that are reasonably cheap. You don't have to buy a complete new interface just because you need MIDI and didn't get it on your main interface originally.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/26 11:17:41 (permalink)
    It's been kind of touched on, but the M-Audio 2496 has no pre-amps.
    A mixer takes care of that, plus headphone and monitor outputs.
    You can spend more and get better stuff, but my standard good and cheap setup is the M-Audio 2496 plus a Behringer Xenyx802 mixer.
    About $160 for both.
    I use an E-MU 0404 (PCI) myself. It's roughly equivalent to the 2496, but a lot of people struggle with the interface.
    post edited by RobertB - 2010/10/26 11:18:50

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/29 11:13:23 (permalink)
    Beagle

ACE STOKES 2.0

Another toy? http://www.target.com/Fir...SB-Cable/dp/B001D2GQHU

Beagle a google search showed a CW post where you answered some one asking about this product-but a CW MB search for this product came up zero????

Oh and "THANKS" to all the ebayers out bidding me!!!  STILL iter-face-less!!!

Beagle
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/29 11:18:24 (permalink)
    I would definitely NOT recommend that or any guitar/usb cable.  IK multimedia makes one as well (stealthplug) but those things are bad news, IMO. 

see, they are soundcards, but they are only ONE way - input, not output.  so you have to use your onboard soundcard for output.  that means you're using 2 different soundcards, which means you're using 2 different clocks.  multiple tracks will cause you to lose sync and your ending won't be in time with your other tracks.

as far as the cakewalk search goes - it sucks.  I use google and add site:forum.cakewalk.com when I want to search the forum.

ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/29 19:30:42 (permalink)
    Beagle

I would definitely NOT recommend that or any guitar/usb cable.  IK multimedia makes one as well (stealthplug) but those things are bad news, IMO. 

see, they are soundcards, but they are only ONE way - input, not output.  so you have to use your onboard soundcard for output.  that means you're using 2 different soundcards, which means you're using 2 different clocks.  multiple tracks will cause you to lose sync and your ending won't be in time with your other tracks.

as far as the cakewalk search goes - it sucks.  I use google and add site:forum.cakewalk.com when I want to search the forum.

Finding that was  my Wife's way of "helping"! She sent me a text message and pic (not the pic I wanted!)-of this product.
                       The Cakewalk search thing is maybe what happened to my first user account-some where out there..*don't start singin'*
    ACE STOKES 2.0
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/29 19:46:51 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

Remember as well that if you do decide later that you need MIDI there are plenty of decent MIDI USB interfaces around that are reasonably cheap. You don't have to buy a complete new interface just because you need MIDI and didn't get it on your main interface originally.

Thanks! I had no idea I could ad Midi later. Not having a good grasp on the Midi thing-and trying to get regular sound issues fixed-has been first order of business.
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:Good CHEAP Audio Interface?? 2010/10/29 22:38:22 (permalink)
    Hi Ace:

Some of us have had certain brand gear and read alot here about what gear works from user reports. At the price range you're mentioning ($100 or $99), I strongly recomend going with the M-Audio choices.

If you could manage to spend $200, you will be wise to go with AT recomendation above of the TC Konnekt 6.

We've had and have gear that works wih SONAR, so I assert: it wouldn't be a bad idea to seriously consider our recomendations.

If low latency and stable operation is what you are looking for, M-Audio is probably more likely the less troublesome and better performer at your price range of $100.

I have a Mackie Onyx Satellite, and the Mackie drivers are not better than M-Audio drivers. They're somewhat problematic. The Satellite cost me $200. It's sound quality was better, but the drivers for my M-Audio Delta 1010LT made the 1010LT the better performer.

There are alaways variables with different PC configurations, so who knows precisely how things will go for you. So the choice of what audio interface to get it's your resposibility. With that said, I recommend the M-Audio product, at the price range you mention.

Cya around, and let us know how it goes, whatever you end up getting? :)
    post edited by thomasabarnes - 2010/10/29 22:41:01

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1