Good first hardware synth?

Author
DelvarWorld
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
2010/11/10 00:04:05 (permalink)

Good first hardware synth?

A little background, I enjoy doing music projects and I'm a pianist / keyboardist. Right now I have a simple Yamaha DXG 88 keys, unweighted, that has been serving as my MIDI controller for years. I do almost exclusively VST work through my PC. But now I'm getting a craving, something itching deep down, for a hardware synth. There's the allure of that analog sound that is calling to me.

One of my favorite bands, Infected Mushroom, boasts about the Nord G2 a lot. I have also seen demos of the Virus TI2 and it sounds very impressive. Price is a bit of a concern for me, $2,000+ is kind of pushing it for an impulse buy. Is ebay or craigslist the answer?

I'm kind of stumped as to where to start looking for a synth. I don't do any live playing and I don't need a drum pad on it. I don't need TOO many knobs (I don't think), a mod wheel and pitch bend would of course be nice. I want something that will give me good options for fiddling to get a good array of sounds with that thick analog feel to it. Weighted keys would be nice.

Is it worth it to splurge on a synth, or should I fall back to my next lust for 88 weighted keys?

13 Replies Related Threads

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Good first hardware synth? 2010/11/10 14:25:24 (permalink)
    Tough call!

I like hardware synths, especially ones with lots of physical controls... in fact, I'd say that today the ability to interact with it using physical controls would be on a par with the sound of the device in terms of reasons to buy one. Seems like there is very little one can not do quite convincingly with software emulations.

Convincingly, but not perfectly... there are synthesizers I own that I will keep for some time to come simply because they have not been emulated in software, or they haven't been emulated well in software. Three that come to mind immediately are my ARP 2600, my Korg MS-20, and my Roland MKS-80. The first two are monophonic, analog, subtractive synthesizers, and in addition to sounding cool, they have one knob per function. I like them a lot! And I enjoy playing them.  Oh, and so far no one has nailed the sound, though Wayoutware's TimewARP2600 is frighteningly close! If I had the spare cash I'd buy it.

The Roland is a different animal, it is a MIDI driven rack mount synth with a lame old menu driven interface. They do make a one know per function controller, but I am not willing to spend $2000 to get one used! Once again, the sound is something I have yet to hear in a software only synthesizer.

If you aren't looking for a specific sound, or a specific synthesizer, then I'd think long and hard about adding a hardware controller (something like the ZeroSL from Novation) to my system. That would provide the immediate access to controls, which is part of playing a synthesizer, and it would free up cash for other software synths.

Good luck!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Good first hardware synth? 2010/11/10 14:47:03 (permalink)
    If you want an 88 weighted keyboard or 73 note waterfall it is hard to work without it.  That is a big investment, as noted.  I played the nord waterfall and it was very nice  but close to $2000.  There are some cheaper boards w/ limited sounds which might work for you as a piano.

As far as synths - that is personal too.  Not the keyboards (tho I like Fatar) but the sound.  Softsynths are cost effective and Novation makes pretty good controllers and fatar keys.  Another option is a cheaper gm style synth with 61 keys. 

Novation is the best bang for buck.  A good hardware synth is nice if you have a "sound" in mind (I have a fizmo which is unique sounding).  If not, and you do a lot of basic arranging a basic S&S synth is a good deal - yama, korg etc.  Those are all sub -$1000 and have nice keys and some controllers.  Good, if bland and or basic sounds.  Y)ou can replace their sounds after recording.  The nords are good for more synthy sounds, and their latest "keyboard" synth sounds great as organ etc. and the waterfall keys are really nice (tho after all these years of playing synths wore my fingers out a little).

I'd spend some time at a local music shop and then decide how much "sound" is worth to you.  I'm happy most of the time w/ a novation and softsynths, with the fizmo and analog stuff thrown in on top.
    @

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Good first hardware synth? 2010/11/10 15:17:52 (permalink)
    Analog sound comes from a real grand piano.... all the synths are... you guessed it.... digital reproductions or samples......

Ebay & Craigs list are good places to look. A local seller is the best option since you can audition it live.... no guessing it it's in primo condition or if it has issues.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Good first hardware synth? 2010/11/10 15:31:34 (permalink)
    sorry to contradict, Herb, but there's analog synths and then there's digital synths and the analog synths are not samples or digital reproductions.

now, that may not be what the OP means, but I wanted to make sure that anyone reading this wasn't confused by your statement. 

analog synths - modern ones are the Smith Prophet and Mopho, Korg Microkorg and Moontron, Alesis Micron, Access Virus, all of the Moog synths are analog (by no means an exhaustive list...).

the analog synths create the sound you hear using oscillators and filters, not samples or digital manipulation of samples.
    post edited by Beagle - 2010/11/10 15:34:19

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    DelvarWorld
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re:Good first hardware synth? 2010/11/12 17:50:53 (permalink)
    Yes, I am referring to an actual analog synth.
    djwayne
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2021
    Re:Good first hardware synth? 2010/11/12 18:48:21 (permalink)
    I have a Roland JP-8000 and a M-Audio 88es Keystation for a 88 note midi controller. Works fine for me.
    bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re:Good first hardware synth? 2010/11/12 19:21:07 (permalink)
    The access virus and korg microkorg appear to be DSP-driven, hence not really analog. I wonder which modern ones are really analog.

Bill B.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Good first hardware synth? 2010/11/12 19:42:24 (permalink)
    It is so confusing, as for analog synths there are many options. Real analog synths that have real oscillators and filters, modelled analog synths that digitally model and perform and sound like a real analog synth and samples of analog synths. They can all sound great.

Perhaps the OP might consider an instrument like Fantom or Motif that has 88 weighted keys and a monster synth involved. I am confident it could come up with killer analog synth patches, as well as a lot of other things too.  It will more useful to you in the long run than an expensive real analog only synth

The pure fat sound of real analog is not only limited to the real thing. Some of the modelled instruments sound excellent and so do even the samplers. I have got incredible sampled Kurzweil and EMU analog synth patches to die for.

Then there are the virtual instruments and coming from someone that has had all the real analog hardware you could ever want, these plug-ins sound absolutely fabulous and can rip off the sound of many real analog synths so well it does not matter. (Anyone thinking otherwise has simply not heard what is out there!) So wst3, Korg have done their own MS20 to perfection, there are a few very very good ARP 2600 emulations and I have got and heard countless plugins that do the Roland sound easily. Sell off your old analog gear while people are still silly enough to pay a lot for it because eventually it will be worthless.

If you have created a great piece of music do you really think the listener is going to think to themselves 'Oh I wonder if that is a real 2600 or a plug-in"  No, it will be emotional connection the music makes to them. Music transends the hardware by a mile. They have only the stereo master to listen to.

I used to think like you, but have long given up on that idea that only real analog synths can create real analog sounds. The hardware will fail, displays will fade out to nothing, parts will cost a fortune..... it goes on.  Now the knob thing is true sure enough but look at the controls on something like StudioBlade listed below. You can route most of these to parameters and tweak away. I found when I owned all that stuff you only tended to tweak certain parameters anyway and they are well covered these days. Now we have got touch sensitivity and in many cases the virtual equivalents go further than the original instruments.

The next generation keyboard is the integrated design. Get a powerful computer to do the work for you instead and make it reliable. This is the future of hardware instruments for sure.

Then maybe think OpenLabs Neko:
    http://www.openlabs.com/nekoxxl.html

or something like this:
    http://www.musiccomputing.com/studioblade

or how about something amazing like this that can house your laptop so easily live.
    http://www.musiccomputing.com/ikeydock

(This is what Victor has been up to since leaving Open Labs)  You would have to mad not to consider an instrument like Neko or Studioblade. Because we now know the sound is there so why not have something ultra powerful like this for similar or less money than a big flagship instrument like Fantom or Motif. They have designed it so it is as robust as a hardware synth live. People like OpenLabs and now MusicComputing have been doing this for a while now and they are pretty expert at it.

I would think carefully about an over expensive real analog type synth. It is not the only way to get these sounds and they will only be able to make those sounds whereas other options will do great analog sounds but so much more as well. eg Native Instruments 'Prism' can do Dave Smith stuff standing on its ear, but also creates sounds the Dave Smith would never be able to even dream of. Have a close look at 'Prism'. No other instrument can move the harmonics horizontally and alter the amplitude of them like 'Prism' can. Once you hear that sound you will never go back. Most standard analog instruments are just plain boring compared to that concept. It is extroadinary! 'Prism' is one of the most exciting things ever to have come out recently and it is only $79!

I am someone who's living depends on how good my synths sound in doco soundtracks and the like. I have got rid of most of my analog (and hardware) gear now and if there was a problem with my sound believe me the people hiring me would let me know! Instead they are saying, Jeff your soundtracks are getting better and sounding better. I agree with them.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/11/13 04:48:09

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Good first hardware synth? 2010/11/12 20:08:07 (permalink)
    bvideo

The access virus and korg microkorg appear to be DSP-driven, hence not really analog. I wonder which modern ones are really analog.

Bill B.

I didn't realize that.  I'm sure the Smith instruments are probably true analog and probably the moogs.  I can't imagine either of those going toward digital at all.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Good first hardware synth? 2010/11/12 21:37:20 (permalink)
    Analog - get a mini-moog (can't have mine, tho) and it is pure hog heaven.  But it won't control anything else, is single voice, yada yada yada.  The Dave Smith stuff is DCO (digitally controlled Oscillators), which sound great, more stable and you can rack up multiple voices.  It sounds like you might want his Prophet o8.  Analog, 61 keys, control for the synth just like yea old time.  And it does Midi so you can play softsynths.  And affordable as analog goes - esp. for 8 voices.  $2000, so that blows your 88 key budget, but you said analog.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re:Good first hardware synth? 2010/11/17 09:18:25 (permalink)
    It may not fit for you, but the only experience I have with a hardware synth is the Gaia SH 01. I just received it on Saturday. I'm a guitar player that likes to bang on some keys and create textures and use ARPS. I have tried so many software alternatives from Alchemy to Omnisphere and could never get in a creative groove with the PC in the way. The Gaia is like a gift from the heavens to me - it's just this wonderful, creative tool. I really like the fact that all the controls are physical, and there isn't an LED menu in sight...
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Good first hardware synth? 2010/11/17 15:16:25 (permalink)
    Hi James I would agree with you. I have heard that (Gaia) is a mightly synth and totally ideal for someone who wants to play something and get their hands on an easy to use machine. Some of these things can be so musically inspiring. And you are right, it is important to be inspired by any instrument you are operating.

My approach, while works involves computers and controllers. But if you are someone who works with these tools, it is OK. I am still loving how warm and fat things are sounding now in the all virtual plug in world.

It is also good to talk about developments in virtual instruments. I see them as only getting better and better and becoming more important all the time. There will always be those who will hang on to their hardware till the end. I was one, but have changed now and happier for doing it.

I suppose this thread should be in the 'software' section but the OP did talk about a good hardware synth choice for these days and I mentioned that instruments like StudioBLADE at Music Computing are worthy of a look as they are based around a different approach to a hardware device, based on a computer. Much more powerful, update savvy and cheaper than an expensive workstation type keyboard.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re:Good first hardware synth? 2010/11/17 18:32:13 (permalink)
    Hi Jeff,

I tried so hard to be creative with software synths. I even used my i7 notebook as a dedicated synth workstation, trying two USB audio devices (AudioBox and Blackjack) with a midi keyboard. I could never get the audio completely glitch free (but the Blackjack was the better of the two), and tweaking the parameters of a synth using a mouse or GASP the touch pad was no fun. I agree that the sound quality is there (Omnisphere is amazing, and I have Alchemy, and Wusikstation, and more), but for this non-keyboard guy it was all about the creative process. I just ordered the Roland midi foot pedals (PK5) today so I can hold pads and play basic melodies while playing guitar. I've spent years with soft synths without producing anything because of the work flow, not the sound. I am so excited to be entering this new era of hardware synths. :) I think if I was a keyboard player the soft synths would have been the right option, but just wanting to and out pads and arps the physical unit is the way to go.

Does this make me retro? lol

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1