Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds?

Author
crwexp
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2010/08/03 01:19:49 (permalink)

Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds?

I currently have a Yamaha YPT-400 Keyboard and I wanted to upgrade my midi capabilities. I want to do more with it, and sometimes when I press 5 keys at once, my VST gets distorted. (left hand stops even though Im holding the note. Not sure if that's keyboard related)

Anywho

I would like to be able to switch my VST's and also VST's different samples with my keyboard or a (pedal maybe?) I'm not sure if my current keyboard has that capability.

I've always wanted a good piano too. So I was thinking, is the Yamaha YPG-635 or (DGX-620) a good choice? Does anyone have any experience with it?

Or if you don't, do you know of a good midi controller that has that capabilties. Any brands in particular to look at?

Thanks a lot!!

13 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds? 2010/08/03 16:29:51 (permalink)
    I currently have a Yamaha YPT-400 Keyboard and I wanted to upgrade my midi capabilities. I want to do more with it, and sometimes when I press 5 keys at once, my VST gets distorted. (left hand stops even though Im holding the note. Not sure if that's keyboard related)

no, that's not due to your keyboard.  when using a softsynth the polyphony is a function of that softsynth, not the MIDI being sent.  which softsynth are you using?

I would like to be able to switch my VST's and also VST's different samples with my keyboard or a (pedal maybe?) I'm not sure if my current keyboard has that capability.

I've never done this myself, but I think it would be possible using ACT with any keyboard or control surface which has assignable MIDI outputs.

I've always wanted a good piano too. So I was thinking, is the Yamaha YPG-635 or (DGX-620) a good choice? Does anyone have any experience with it?

that really depends on a lot of things.  what do you consider a "good piano"?  do you want a digital piano with its own sounds or do you just want a MIDI controller to control your softsynths?  do you need hammer action?  the action on all keyboards are not the same.  what is your budget?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    crwexp
    Re:Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds? 2010/08/09 13:51:04 (permalink)
    sorry for the late reply. just got back from a trip. 

Im kinda leaning towards a good midi controller now rather than a piano. No need to waste money on something I dont need. Dont really care on hammer action. Always wanted a hammer PIANO, but afaik, midi controllers are easier to make music using light keys (am i right?) 

Anyways, my budget is about $400, as im just starting out. Ive been looking at the m-audio keystation pro (bc it has volume knobs/sliders and is 88key), CME Keyboards (UF series), Novation (no clue), Fatar (no clue either), and M-audio Axiom keyboards. Haven't looked into Roland and Korg but those have been recommended. Really need a 88 key though.

I live in a college town, so there arent many music stores near me, the ones Ive been to, they have to special order what I want at a higher price than online has. So I cant test any of the keyboards. I have to go purely off recommendations.

:(

What would you guys get/suggest?
    post edited by crwexp - 2010/08/09 15:29:38
    jcatena
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re:Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds? 2010/08/09 15:34:16 (permalink)
    You should decide the type of key you prefer beforehand, you can find both hammer and synth types within your budget.
    Some suggestions:
    m-Audio Axiom 61 is the one i'm using now: semi-weighted, 8 pads, 8 rotaries, 9 sliders, 9 buttons, transport... very flexible and configurable, and very good feeling for my taste, but i am not a proficient kb player... It's all plastic and somewhat fragile though.
    Fatar/StudioLogic makes affordable hammer-action keyboards of good quality and feeling at affordable prices, there was one in the studio i was working last year and most players liked its feeling very much, and i also know a pianist that uses it.
    m-Audio KeyStation and Yamaha KX8 are also affordable hammer ones.

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    crwexp
    Re:Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds? 2010/08/09 17:39:48 (permalink)
    hmm, ill check into the other you mentioned. so would you say the Axoim is pretty configurable?
    jcatena
    Re:Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds? 2010/08/09 19:19:13 (permalink)
    crwexp

so would you say the Axoim is pretty configurable?

Yeah, for any element in the keybard you can assign any midi messages and kind of action (toggle, inc/dec, val, modifier, curves, etc). Whole or partial configs can be stored and recalled instantly from nonvolatile memory banks. Either from the keyboard itself (it has a graphical LCD screen), or from the PC through an excellent configuration application. Preconfigured default banks for popular software packages are included and more can be downloaded from the m-audio website or shared with other users. I can handle all necessary tracking operations of SONAR or tweak any synth parameter from it, no need to use computer keyboard or mouse while tracking.
    Most midi controllers of this kind are configurable, but any other I knew had much more limitations in the types of messages and the parameters you can define. For example my son uses a Radium, and you can also configure it but in a more limited way.
    I can recommend it anytime for synth type, or maybe the Edirol if you prefer a softer touch. For hammer, i'd probably choose the KeyStation Pro for the added controls, or the Fatar if i don't need those. Some Yamahas like the KX8 are good too. Probably I should mention roland here but i can't recommend any of the models i knew, maybe some modern model that i'm not aware of... the one in my avatar is a roland fantom and is nice, but it's an expensive workstation, not a simple controller.
    Remember i'm not a proficient player, but i know about configuration and shared opinions of these i mentioned with good players.

post edited by jcatena - 2010/08/09 19:50:36

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    Earwax
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 242
    Re:Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds? 2010/08/10 18:46:04 (permalink)
    Frankly, I would think that the 1, 2, or even 3 hour drive to your nearest Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or whatever big-box music store is nearest you would be worth the effort. For something as intimate as your MIDI controller - while recommendations are great - NOTHING beats hands on testing and question/answer time in a store. NOTHING. I know that if I recommended a controller to you, and you bought it sight unseen and unplayed, and you hated it, I would not feel very good at all. Do yourself, and everyone else, a favor. Take the long drive to your nearest big box music emporium, spend a few hours trying different controllers, and buy what you like best, and can afford. You won't be sorry.

Best,

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
    crwexp
    Re:Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds? 2010/08/11 01:05:05 (permalink)
    haha its ok jcatena. you're still more of a player than me :P thanks Beagle and jcatena for the recommendations! Ive took a more in depth look and have decided that a hammer-action keyboard is not for me.

I kind of took Earwax's advise and went to my closest store that pianos on display... Best Buy. I tried out what a hammer-action keyboard felt like and I dont think its for me. It'll be hard to play the fast paced violin samples I come up with in my head. so I've decided on semi-weighted or less. Preferably more than 61-keys, but if I have to get 61, then I'll probably purchase a mixer/midi controller that has knobs/sliders so I can control my vst better. Not sure what you meant by tracking (still learning), but I always assume highly configurable leaves my options open.

If I can get off work EARLY tomorrow, I've decided that I am going to try and make the 4-hour drive to my nearest Guitar Center (hopefully they have them....)

I noticed that the Axiom (only 61-keys :( ), is semi-weighted. Do you guys that have 61-keys ever feel like you dont have enough room to play? Any semi-weighted or less recommendations? Right now I have my eyes set on the Axiom (with it had more keys :/), but am looking for more.

Your recommendations help me a lot! It points me in the right direction as to where to look.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds? 2010/08/11 08:46:53 (permalink)
    I noticed that the Axiom (only 61-keys :( ), is semi-weighted. Do you guys that have 61-keys ever feel like you dont have enough room to play? Any semi-weighted or less recommendations? Right now I have my eyes set on the Axiom (with it had more keys :/), but am looking for more.

YES!  but for some reason the 76key market is lacking.  you can find 76 keys but they're usually on the high end stuff like motif XS7 and the fantom G7 (both $3k each).  Nord 76 is $3300  I can't think of ANY MIDI controllers that are 76key there may be some I don't know - but choices are very limited in the 76key range.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    jcatena
    Re:Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds? 2010/08/11 09:12:55 (permalink)
    m-audio Keystation 88es is 88 keys semiweighted, without additional automation controls.
    Most other 88 or 76 keys controllers i know are of the piano kind (hammer action).
    For performances (play with two hands), you will want 76 or 88 keys. For midi editing 61 keys and even less is enough.

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    crwexp
    Re:Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds? 2010/08/11 15:26:29 (permalink)

yeah, 76 keys are hard to find. But found 3 types! All from CME!

But I think I've finally narrowed it down. 

I'm going to get two. Probably a 81se (for the full 88 keys), and also a Axiom 61 (unsure the difference b/w pro and regular).  The Axiom along with the 88se because it looks highly configurable and has after-touch! I think thats probably something essential, right?

If not that, I'm looking into CME's UF70 or UF7 and CME's VX-7 (havent read anything at all about this. But its a midi controller, not hammer, has knobs, and 70 something keys is perfect for me)

How do my decisions look? The only thing im unsure of is pro vs regular axiom, and what VX-7's features are.
    post edited by crwexp - 2010/08/11 15:28:18
    jcatena
    Re:Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds? 2010/08/11 16:21:45 (permalink)
    I missed the CME VX7 semiweighted, as the VX8 has hammer action. Looks good, but i don't know it so i can't say more.
    The VX7 has aftertouch, i think buying an axiom too would be redundant. I don't know if the vx7 is more or less configurable, but you should not have much problems with that anyway based in what the product page says. Compare the details in the manuals if in doubt. In some aspects the CME looks better, with more controls and motorized sliders.
    The Axiom Pro is pretty much identical to the regular one AFAIK. The pro is the same as the older black (the one i own) but in white. When the pro was introduced, they removed a numeric keypad and rearranged the layout in the new black. So if you can find the older model you can have the same as the pro but in black for less money. These differences are not to worry about anyway.

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    crwexp
    Re:Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds? 2010/08/17 12:27:14 (permalink)

Okay I ended up ordering a Keystation 88 pro (for weighted keys), and a Axiom 61 Pro. The keystation 88 pro had a problem so theyre going to offer me a MPK88, CME VX70, or a VMK-188plus

Which of those 3 weighted keyboards do you think would be best for me?
    crwexp
    Re:Good midi keyboard recommendation? Need2 Change VST w/ pedal & non-distorted sounds? 2010/08/17 23:33:26 (permalink)
    I spoke to someone different when I called back and they went back on their offer. She spoke to their manager and they said they would loose too much money. I really regret not ordering with the clerk I had before. Anyways, they special ordered me a new Keystation 88 pro brand new for $90, 100 bucks cheaper than ebay offers it, and its weighted, so I hope it turns out good.
    My Axiom 61 pro arrived today.... and let me just say. ITS AWESOME!!! So many controls, I have no idea what to do with them! Ive tried learning, but its extremely complicated. They feel great!

I bought it for $100 used, in broken condition. I thought I would try and repair it. It said it had scratches and didnt power on when I bought it. When I plugged it in, it worked!!! And like new condition! Best deal I've gotten ever!
    Thanks for the recommendation! Cant wait for my other keyboard to arrive :P
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1