Great sound -Awful time - How do I fix it?

Author
D K
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1237
2006/05/11 18:30:38 (permalink)

Great sound -Awful time - How do I fix it?

Hey Guys/Gals,

Looking for some suggestions here - I just had a guitar player in cutting so tracks for a video project I am working on - The guy's sound is great but his time is God awful!! Whats the best way to fix - Chop and nudge?

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

8 Replies Related Threads

yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Great sound -Awful time - How do I fix it? 2006/05/11 22:27:14 (permalink)
    Hmm... find another guitar player?

If you decide you want to try and fix it on the computer, brew a big pot of coffee-- there is no fast or easy "trick" to it, you just chop up the notes and try and get them to fit together as best you can. It is difficult to do without significant aesthetic comprimise, for obvious reasons.

It is 100 times easier to re-record whenever possible than to try and fix an out-of-time guitar. Drums and certain other instruments are doable, but to reconstruct a guitar part without having it sound choppy and weird is tough.

Cheers.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Great sound -Awful time - How do I fix it? 2006/05/13 13:33:28 (permalink)
    yeah second that. if he was off-pitch you could get a pitch corrector. if his sound sucked you could eq some, but bad timing on guitar isn't worth the time it would take to fix.

- jack the ex-cynic
    DonnyAir
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Great sound -Awful time - How do I fix it? 2006/05/14 10:35:38 (permalink)
    Agreed. Bad timing can be altered...to a point.... but very rarely without the compromise Yep mentioned in performance parameters.

By the time you're done attempting this, and even if you do manage to "fix" all the discrepancies, it's a solid bet that the track will come out sounding as if it's been altered.

"Frankenstein" editing... chopping, merging, fixing, sliding, slipping, trimming, etc., to this degree is always going to be tougher than it would be to just re record the track(s), and will most likely result in a track you're still not happy with.

I'm assuming that by your post the track is really off and not just slight "push-pulls" ?

You can try and salvage this and burn a day (or more) or you can call someone in to nail it in an hour or so...

FWIW
    D K
    • Total Posts : 1237
    RE: Great sound -Awful time - How do I fix it? 2006/05/14 19:16:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DonnyAir

Agreed. Bad timing can be altered...to a point.... but very rarely without the compromise Yep mentioned in performance parameters.

By the time you're done attempting this, and even if you do manage to "fix" all the discrepancies, it's a solid bet that the track will come out sounding as if it's been altered.

"Frankenstein" editing... chopping, merging, fixing, sliding, slipping, trimming, etc., to this degree is always going to be tougher than it would be to just re record the track(s), and will most likely result in a track you're still not happy with.

I'm assuming that by your post the track is really off and not just slight "push-pulls" ?

You can try and salvage this and burn a day (or more) or you can call someone in to nail it in an hour or so...

FWIW

Agreed - He is a good guy and has a good sound but I have several other guitarist colleagues that would nail this part in an hour or less and I don't have the time to fix it.

Thanks Gents

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
    Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
    Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
    Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: Great sound -Awful time - How do I fix it? 2006/06/11 05:27:45 (permalink)
    melodyne works wonders in this situation - as does getting someone else to play it ;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Great sound -Awful time - How do I fix it? 2006/06/11 10:52:47 (permalink)
    v-vocal time stretching is very useful for guitar tracks but i have never tried to fix more than a phrase here or there, doing a whole track or series of tracks like that would be extremely time consuming. can you make him re-record it with the metronome cranked or a loud bee-gees drum loop in his headphones?

The Poodle Chews It.

Freakwitch
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 500
    RE: Great sound -Awful time - How do I fix it? 2006/06/11 15:57:28 (permalink)
    In my book, if it's not at least close to in time, it doesn't sound good.
    B_Nez
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Great sound -Awful time - How do I fix it? 2006/06/11 17:07:39 (permalink)
    This doesn't sound like it applies to your situation, but if you absolutely MUST keep that track (i.e. it's your dad and the recording is FOR him), you can try a second track of guitar with more edge LOCKED into a thumping kick drum and bass guitar to mask the bad timing. I had to do this on the last tune I posted in the Songs Forum: Born Under a Bad Sign. If you listen carefully, you can still hear the left guitar get a little ahead in a few places, but to the average listener it works well.

MOTU 828mkII, M-Audio Octane
    Event TR-8N, Sonar 6.2.1 Producer
    http://go.berkleemusic.com/Samsound
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=380296
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1