Green hard drive for a quiet DAW

Author
Studious
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
2010/07/21 13:16:55 (permalink)

Green hard drive for a quiet DAW

"Green" hard drives are supposed to run cooler and quiter than regular 7200 rpm drives (definite plus for a DAW).  They vary their rpm as needed to conserve energy.
(example from WD: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=559)

I understand that the idea of a variable rpm drive does not sit well with DAW users.  But has anybody actually tested one?

Perhaps they're not ideal for audio or sample streaming, but could a green drive have any use in a DAW, perhaps as the OS/app drive?

2 Replies Related Threads

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Green hard drive for a quiet DAW 2010/07/21 14:44:24 (permalink)
    yup... very disappointed with the results, glitches, crackles, drop outs, it was ugly! And it's a shame, cause cooler is good, quieter is good, slow is not so good!

Sadly, this applies to both the OS drive and the audio and sample drives. I mostly expected the later two to be a problem, but I was a little surprised that the OS drive also caused problems. I mean what the heck... that's why I tried this experiment in the first place - I hoped it would work!

Recent research suggests that there may be ways to disable the variable speed thing for some specific drives, but I have not returned to the experiment, and I wonder if disabling the variable speed would undo all the other benefits.

Anyone else feeling brave enough to give it a spin???

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Studious
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 222
    Re:Green hard drive for a quiet DAW 2010/07/21 16:12:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input.  Glad to hear somebody gave it go!  I wish it had worked out better...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1