Groove Clips

Author
Pete Stobbs
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
2009/09/10 14:25:19 (permalink)

Groove Clips

I told you I had more questions ;)

In the GTP4 manual in Tutorial 1 regarding creating and editing backing tracks under What is a loop halfway down is the sentence "Loops can automatically follow tempo and key changes in your projects...........etc

How for instance using a bass loop in the key of E say, would you change its key automatically to A then B?

Pete

4 Replies Related Threads

bayoubill
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Groove Clips 2009/09/10 21:04:23 (permalink)
    Pete, the tutorials will introduce Loops, tempo and key change as you go through them. Take your time and practice each of the tutorial lessons. Take each, one at a time. You'll see how things will start to tie together as you get on. You're really in for a good time with this stuff! Just don't be afraid to come back to the forum and get experienced users involved with your projects. Every person here was where you are now so don't let anything hold you back too long. This isn't that easy and the more elaborate your music becomes the more knowledge you're going to need. But I can say this has been the most fun I've had for many years.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

gregtheduckkiller
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:Groove Clips 2009/09/11 20:59:01 (permalink)
    Pete,
    I will tell you how to do it in Guitar Tracks Pro 3 - I bet it is the same for you Pro4...

1. At the top of the EDIT view (the view that shows the wave forms - not the view of the mixer) is the timeline that keeps track of bars. It is numbered and starts at 1 and keeps on counting.
    2. "Right click" on any of those numbers - they represent a "whole" note (or in between them - representing quart/half/eigth notes, etc.)
    3. Select "INSERT MARKER"
    4. Click the tab next to "GROOVE CLIP PITCH". Select the pitch you want. It will not show as major, minor, diminished, etc. - only the lettered pitch(A, A#, B, C, etc.). It is up to you to use a groove clip that is minor, major, etc.
    5. While you are in that screen there is a box called "NAME" where you can put small amounts of information pertinent to that bar - for example - solo, chorus, bridge, etc.
    6.Continiue to do this as often as chord changes are needed - every bar - every 4 bars - whatever.....
    7.The computer will then automatically change the groove clip key for you.

KEEP IN MIND that most, if not all loops will start to deform if you change them too much in pitch or tempo...meaning that if you have a bass groove clip in A and change it to D, it will not sound good. Try to get a groove clip that is close to your key - for example, going from D to E is not much..going from A to C is not much. This also applies to tempo. If you have a drum loop at 80 BPM and put it in a song that is going 130 BPM, it will probably sound bad.

I have a bunch of loops CDs and most have warnings that increasing/decreasing the tempo more than 15% of the loops origional tempo will result in bad sounds. Play around with it and you will get a feel for all this.

Let me know if I missed something here.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Pete Stobbs
    Re:Groove Clips 2009/09/18 20:06:02 (permalink)
    Hi Greg,

Been away from home for a while and just got back.
    Thanks for the reply, will try it out and get back if any probs.

Thanks for your time!!

Pete
    Pete Stobbs
    Re:Groove Clips 2009/09/22 14:57:33 (permalink)
    There is something I'm not getting here. Let me use an example from GTP4.

I insert the the loop 101_bassblackwell120 E.wav from the folder DLX Rythm and Blues bass lines into track one. I drag it so it goes to 10 on the timeline.

The first thing I notice is that it is not in tune with my guitar. Strange I think its supposed to be in E but it equals C on my guitar(which is in tune).

I then change the reference note in the clip from E to C and hey presto it is now in tune with my guitar. All well and good.

I insert a marker on no 5 in the timeline change the groove pitch to A assuming it will change to A when it reaches no 5 on timeline but it plays D flat.

What am I not understanding guys?

Pete
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1