Groove Creation/Saving

Author
bayofkings7
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2005/06/14 01:48:54 (permalink)

Groove Creation/Saving

Greetings to all!

I've had Kinetic for several days, and have learned quite a bit about it (I'm very happy with it).

Frustration = I want to keep preset grooves A1-A16! They are always there when I fire Kinetic up, but when I create a new groove, they are gone.

I do File->New->Project, and get 16 empty patches. I create a new groove,which defaults to A1, unless I copy groove to another groove (like B1), then B1 is the only groove I can play. If I click on A1, or any other groove, the patches stay the same as the new one I created, and there is no sound (like a blank groove). If I turn off Kinetic, it asks if I want to save changes, and I always click No, as I do not want to overwrite the A1-A16 grooves. When I turn Kinetic on again, all of the "A" grooves are there, but B-D are empty. What am I doing wrong? I might like to arrange a song using some of the preset grooves, as well as the new groove I created.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but this is my first softsynth! (I've been playing music for 37 years, and this is like starting all over again!)

Tom

8 Replies Related Threads

fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Groove Creation/Saving 2005/06/14 08:46:55 (permalink)
    Don't be afraid to save changes. The 16 preset grooves are saved in a special Template file which Kinetic will not overwrite unless you specifically want that (by using the "Save As Template" option). When you save a project for the first time, Kinetic will ask you for a new filename - just give each project a different filename and you won't lose any of your work. Next time you start Kinetic, you just load the file you want to work on.

Now, when you do File->New->Project, Kinetic will always start a new blank project. It's up to you to build your own grooves, either by loading patterns and patches from the list, or by making your own patterns using the sequencer.

If you want to start a new project with the 16 preset grooves, all you have to do is select
    File->New->Project from Template File. This will load the template file which is loaded at startup - this is by default the same project as "Pattern Showcase.kin", so if you ever overwrite the template file, you can always load "Pattern Showcase" and get those 16 grooves back. The problem here is that this template project already uses all 16 parts and it doesn't leave much space to make your own stuff. It's ok if you want to get to know the program, but as soon as you get the hang of it, you will want to start always with a blank project.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    bayofkings7
    RE: Groove Creation/Saving 2005/06/14 11:49:35 (permalink)
    fac -

Thanks very, very much for your reply!

I'm glad to know that I can't unknowingly overwrite the presets - I like tweaking them (changing instruments, etc., for a different sound).

What i am confused about, is how can I assign a new groove (which I have created, and saved) into one of the B1-D16 groove destinations? What I really want is to have all 64 grooves (A1-D16) filled with different groove (A1-A16 presets, B1-D16 my newly-created grooves). This way I can arrange a song, something like: C1->A6->D14->A1, etc. (these are randomly chosen), with each of the 64 grooves filled with a different groove. Is this possible? The way the manual reads, it should be possible to arrange a song with 64 different grooves.

Thanks!

Tom
    bayofkings7
    RE: Groove Creation/Saving 2005/06/14 12:45:36 (permalink)
    Not to beat this into the ground, but, for example, I was just messing around, and came-up with a nice groove, saved it as a file; then, created a nice "contrasting" groove, saved it as a different file; thought they would sound good as 2 bars of first groove, 2 bars of second groove, and over and over. I painted first groove into a song, then opened the file with the second groove, and the song was cleared-out! I even clicked "Copy Groove To" and chose D1 and D2 for the two grooves. I could play the most recent groove (D2), but when I clicked on D1, it was silent (and had the same patches as my D2 groove). I hope this all makes sense. Surely I can do what I want to do - I just don't seem to be able to do it!!!

Tom
    fac
    RE: Groove Creation/Saving 2005/06/14 12:47:18 (permalink)
    You can't really assign a groove to a destination slot. What you must do is first select a slot (A1-D16) and build the groove in that slot by loading or sequencing patterns. You can also copy an existing groove to any slot - just select the slot you want to copy from and then use the "Copy Groove To" function, then edit the new groove as you will.

For example, I usually take a groove, let's say A1, and copy it to B1 to make a variation of that groove, and then copy A1 to C1 to make a different variation - a variation can have a different drum roll or anything else, but it's basically the same groove. Then take a different groove (ie.- A2) and make variations B2, C2, etc. This way I can have 16 different grooves with up to 4 variations each. These variations help to make transitions between grooves when building a full song.

I strongly recommend you follow the tutorial step by step - you can acces it from the online help or from the printed manual. It is pretty basic but lets you know how to build a song.

fac
    RE: Groove Creation/Saving 2005/06/14 12:57:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bayofkings7

Not to beat this into the ground, but, for example, I was just messing around, and came-up with a nice groove, saved it as a file; then, created a nice "contrasting" groove, saved it as a different file; thought they would sound good as 2 bars of first groove, 2 bars of second groove, and over and over. I painted first groove into a song, then opened the file with the second groove, and the song was cleared-out! I even clicked "Copy Groove To" and chose D1 and D2 for the two grooves. I could play the most recent groove (D2), but when I clicked on D1, it was silent (and had the same patches as my D2 groove). I hope this all makes sense. Surely I can do what I want to do - I just don't seem to be able to do it!!!

Tom

Don't save each groove separately! When you save a file, all 64 grooves (A1 to D16) are saved with it, along with the song sequence.

Each time you load a file, the current project is cleared and replaced with the grooves in the file. Each file represents one song, not one groove.

Try this:

Load the first file you saved (the one with the first groove in D1). Now, copy D1 to D2 and mess around with D2. Then copy D2 to D3 and mess around with D3. Now save the file with the same filename (just hit CTRL-S). The file has been saved with all three grooves in it. Now, let's see if it worked - close Kinetic and open it again, load the file you just saved and check out grooves D1, D2, and D3 - they should be just like you left them.

Now, to build a song just "paint" a few bars of D1 on the Song Arranger, followed by a few bars of D2 and then a few more bars of D3. Play the song from start. Now hit CTRL-S again to save the file (which now includes the three grooves *and* the song sequence).

bayofkings7
    RE: Groove Creation/Saving 2005/06/15 10:24:29 (permalink)
    fac -

Brilliant! You are my new best friend!

I followed your instructions, starting with one groove; then, I copied and edited my way to nine grooves, then to a short demo song. Tweaked patches, added effects and mastering effects, and voila!!! And, even saved the whole thing properly!

Thanks again for you help - I finally see the light!

Tom

PS - I really like the Project5 effects contained in Kinetic!

fac
    RE: Groove Creation/Saving 2005/06/15 14:06:12 (permalink)
    Great! Will you let us hear your work?

bayofkings7
    RE: Groove Creation/Saving 2005/06/16 11:58:17 (permalink)
    Yeah, when my songs are a little bit better! Right now, I'm just creating grooves and stringing them together, and the sounds aren't very "original."

Which brings me to another question: When I connect a keyboard/synth as a controller (I need to get a MIDI->USB cable), what can I expect? For example, when I play a note, will it be the chosen groove in that note's key? What about chords? And, say I have chosen a fretless bass patch and a DnB pattern, can I play my own bassline, or will the bassline still be the same as when I click with a mouse?

(again, this is my first softsynth, so I'm not sure what I'm doing...)

Tom
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1