Grotto Funk-Original Instrumental

Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
2018/11/06 03:44:23 (permalink)

Grotto Funk-Original Instrumental

I think I posted this when I first wrote it two years ago, but I'm not sure.  I did recently rework and remix it.  I came up with a funky combination of beats between EZ Drummer's kit sound and Latin percussion sounds.  I really loved the way it cooked so I wrote a groove around it.  The solo/section instruments are sax, mute trumpet and flute doing some harmonies.  I originally had a stupid rap after the second verse which I grew to hate, so I replaced it with solo sections of mute trumpet & flute. I replaced the rap with just some vocal ad-libs sprinkled liberally around the tune.  It features EZ Keys, EZ Drummer 2, Trilian Bass, and Garritan Jazz & Big Bass 3 for the horn sounds.

Enjoy-"Grotto Funk"
https://johnbowen.bandcamp.com/track/grotto-funk

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007

8 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Grotto Funk-Original Instrumental 2018/11/06 16:40:16 (permalink)
    Could just be me John but it feels slightly constrained in its groove, perhaps a little to tight to the click.  Could just be these tired furry ears.  Mix sounds fine, nice and clear plenty of space for the voices.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Grotto Funk-Original Instrumental 2018/11/06 16:49:58 (permalink)
    Great stuff John - love the little shouts here and there

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: Grotto Funk-Original Instrumental 2018/11/06 23:50:24 (permalink)
    I've been to this bar before-it took half a dozen cocktails to get rid of me.  John, you are truly making the best of the equipment that you have.  I like your experimental nature because I never know what to expect from you.  Keep it going!

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: Grotto Funk-Original Instrumental 2018/11/07 00:33:31 (permalink)
    Johnbee58
    I think I posted this when I first wrote it two years ago, but I'm not sure.  I did recently rework and remix it.  I came up with a funky combination of beats between EZ Drummer's kit sound and Latin percussion sounds.  I really loved the way it cooked so I wrote a groove around it.  The solo/section instruments are sax, mute trumpet and flute doing some harmonies.  I originally had a stupid rap after the second verse which I grew to hate, so I replaced it with solo sections of mute trumpet & flute. I replaced the rap with just some vocal ad-libs sprinkled liberally around the tune.  It features EZ Keys, EZ Drummer 2, Trilian Bass, and Garritan Jazz & Big Bass 3 for the horn sounds.

Enjoy-"Grotto Funk"
    https://johnbowen.bandcamp.com/track/grotto-funk

John B.

That was a really enjoyable listen! Thanks for (re)sharing!

[Warning: I'm a bass player. Grotto Funk. On the 1. On the 1. ]

The bass line seemed noticeably staccato (sustain-free) to me. I was jonesing for a double bass (or fretless J bass with GHS tapewounds; hmmm, maybe I'm modding my fretted J bass and want to hear it NOW? ) tone while listening.

But that's just me.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    Johnbee58
    Re: Grotto Funk-Original Instrumental 2018/11/07 02:27:47 (permalink)
    Thanks guys!
    @The Maartians-The bass part I took from the MIDI of the piano part in the bridge.  It's a MIDI trick where you copy the notes from the lowest piano notes and take them down 1 octave and play them in the bass module (unless you're a real player, like you).  That was only in the bridge (piano solo).  The rest of the song I played out.  I actually wanted to use the funk bass sound on this tune, but it just didn't work out.

@Lynn-I don't know where I got the idea for the Grotto concept.  Just that it sounded like a cool title.  I have heard of bars called something like "The Grotto" so that's probably where my subconscious mind picked it up.

@that wooley thing-I was wondering if that groove quantize thing would help in a situation like this.  Can it be applied to an all audio mix?

Question-Lend me your ears-Is the tambourine too loud in your opinion?  Please let me know.  On the last mix I upped the high end EQ to give more presence to the Cajon (that instrument that sounds like a tapping sound.  It's a Latin Percussion instrument, for those not familiar with such sounds), but the tambourine is also close to that same frequency so I wound up pulling that up too.  I'd like to know if you think it's so loud as to be annoying.

Thanks!
    JB

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
    NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
    Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: Grotto Funk-Original Instrumental 2018/11/08 14:06:53 (permalink)
    Dude, you need to move to LA. You've got this "LA Jazz" thing down. You could be the new Bob James if you wanted to.

Bill
    Johnbee58
    Re: Grotto Funk-Original Instrumental 2018/11/08 14:24:24 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    Dude, you need to move to LA. You've got this "LA Jazz" thing down. You could be the new Bob James if you wanted to.

Bill

I don't really follow Bob James.  I've heard of him, but not familiar with his material.  Gotta check it out though.
    Thanks!

EDIT-LA Jazz from Reading PA.  Interesting!

thegaltieribrothers
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 319
    Re: Grotto Funk-Original Instrumental 2018/11/10 04:31:07 (permalink)
    Nice groove + feel to this piece.

Tambourine is fine to my ears.

Good Job!

paul
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1