Helpful ReplyGuide to running 2 Tascam US2400 units together in Sonar

Author
Large Style
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 279
2008/08/04 13:57:02 (permalink)

Guide to running 2 Tascam US2400 units together in Sonar

Just thought I'd stick this out there in interest of helping anyone else out...

I had a lenghtly and failing setting up process for getting 2 Tascam US2400s to run independantly within Sonar.(previous thread)

Ive now sussed it - heres what I did to do it....

1) Install both US2400s onto your PC - each one will install as "USB Audio Device" 6 times over (see my thread on above link for description as to why this is). I've renamed both US2400s within Windows (through regedit) to easily indentify the units, but I dont think its neccessary to do - just remember whats what f.y.i.

2) Put both units in Sonar compatible mode (will map loads of Sonars controls striaght to the unit) - see the US2400s manual if unsure how to do this.

3) Start Sonar, and start a new project (or load an old one).

4) Then go to "Options" (in top bar) - then "Controller/Surfaces"

5) Using the "add new controler/surface" button on right side of window, set it up like this:

Device.........................In Port...............................Out Port
Mackie Control 1..........Tascam US-2400 1...............Tascam US-2400 1
Mackie XT-1................Tascam US-2400 1 (2)..........Tascam US-2400 1 (2)
Mackie XT-2................Tascam US-2400 1 (3)..........Tascam US-2400 1 (3)
Mackie Control 2..........Tascam US-2400 2...............Tascam US-2400 2
Mackie XT-3................Tascam US-2400 2 (2)..........Tascam US-2400 2 (2)
Mackie XT-4................Tascam US-2400 2 (3)..........Tascam US-2400 2 (3)

note: have left out the 4th port for US2400s (for the surround panner) as I don't have surround setup for music (yet) - so haven't dealt with this - will tackle another time!

As you are putting each line into this - each bank (8 tracks) should enable (leds light-up and faders move). Also make sure each line has different consecutive colours after each other (WAI section on right-hand side) - will make things easier to distinguish later. Note: the first select button on each bank of faders (faders 1, 9, and 17) should be on (green) now.

6) Now go into "Tools" (in top bar) and select "Mackie Control - 1". In the next window (as the US2400 manual states) press the "Configure Layout" button once. Now press and hold the F-Key and the Shift key on US2400 - then tap the Sel button on master fader. This should then leave only faders 1's green select light enabled. Do all of step 6 again to configure layout for 2nd US2400 (obviously selecting "Mackie Control - 2" from "Tools" instead this time).

7) At this time - if all has gone well both units are functioning, but they will mirror each other (move fader 1 on 1st US2400 and fader 1 on 2nd US2400 will move with it). This was where I got stuck for a few days but step 8) is how to fix this...

8) As the Us2400s don't have any visual read-outs (no LCD screen - bit pants but hey) you'll ideally need to have 48 tracks inserted into your project (or work up in multiples of 8 until you've got enough tracks for your project, to literally oversee this last step). All of the 1st US2400 is already configured - all you have to do is re-distribute the other 24 channels of the 2nd US2400 so go back to "Tools" then "Mackie Control - 2" and press "Configure Layout" again. This time you need to turn the v-pot (rotary control at top of US2400) on the 2nd US2400 on track 1 ever-so-slightly to the right (this moves the banks up, by 8 tacks at a time). The v-pot needs very little input (seriously small touch) to move the banks. You need to turn the v-pot enough to move the 2nd US2400s bank 1 (which are the first 8 tracks hidden behind the 1st US2400s colours) to go to bank 4 (tracks 25-32). You wont see where the banks gone until you hit the "Press again when done" button. Once you think the v-pot has been turned enough hit the "Press again when done" button to see where the bank of 8 tracks has actually got mapped to. Note: you will need either console view or have the WAI enabled in track view (do this by ticking box in "Options" then "Controllers/Surfaces") to see where that bank got mapped to. Repeat the process until the bank has actually gone into the right place! You will need to do this process 2 more times - to move bank 2 to bank 5 (tracks 9-16 up to 33-40) by turning the v-pot on track 9 on 2nd US2400, and bank 3 to bank 6 (tracks 17-24 up to 41-48) by turning the v-pot on track 17 on 2nd US2400.

Job done!

I'd like to thank the members of the Sonar community for helping me with getting my US2400s setup. I'd also like to give special thanks to Psalmist35 and Kip (who wrote the brilliant app GenMCE - for complete customising and re-mapping of any Mackie compatilble device).

Hope this is information will be of help (posted as I bloomin well needed the info at the time, hehe)!!!

Enjoy your 48 track studio!

Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G, Q6600 2.4Ghz, Crucial 8gb, EMU 1616, nVidia NVS 440 + Matrox DualHead2Go, WinXP x64 + WinXP x86 Dual-boot, M-Audio ProKeys 88, Technics 5.1 amp., guitar that I never learned to play.
Psalmist35
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1471
RE: Guide to running 2 Tascam US2400 units together in Sonar 2008/08/06 12:25:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby orsidigital 2014/03/23 18:27:20
LS,
I am totally happy that you got both units working together. It's a great feeling when your persistance pays off. I totally got lost when you discussed tweaking the v-pot to move over a bank of eight. How on earth did you figure that one out? I'm not sure why that works.

Anyway, congradulations you now have a mammoth 48 track console. How do the transports work in this configuration? Also, have/will you try the UCS utility?

Regards,
Rich

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
Large Style
RE: Guide to running 2 Tascam US2400 units together in Sonar 2008/08/07 09:23:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby orsidigital 2014/03/23 18:27:32
Er, the v-pot thing was actually a bit of a fluke (massive understatement)! I had the Mackie setup window open (when trying to configure layout) and my computer keyboard started to fall off of my chair i was resting it on - when I grabbed it I hit some button that called up a brief help guide to setting up Mackies (didn't know you could do that) - I clicked a link to setting up XTs and there was the v-pot technique!!! I quickly realised that on Controller toolbar the Mackies tracks where changing from 1-24 to 1-128 dependant on how far I turned the v-pot to the right. After that it was simple calibration process. Guess this is a standand function for the Mackie - but made slightly harder for us US2400 users as no LCD display to report all this info back to us! Would like to have given a professional and deliberately contemplated answer but I'm not that clever

Transports work perfectly fine on both units. As Sonar now properly recognises 2 Mackie Controls, both US2400s transports (and everything else) are totally full functional. I can use whichever one that I'm nearest to and it'll simply take over from where the other one left off! Severely lazy, but just as cool.

Have had a break from all this since fixing prob (had to regroup, mentally) so no, not done anything with UCS yet. Will/may have to do so v.soon though as I'll be doing all my projects in 5.1 (got some new gear turning up in next day or so) and am gonna wanna sus out how to put the joystick panner into Sonar and configure it for the surround panner (not dealt with that at all yet).

At the end of day though - apart from the panner thing, Im pretty much at where I wanna be. Im gonna be spending about 95% of time doing orchestral projects so I dont think I'll need to tweak much further (load in me VSTs and setup a template and Im set). To be honest - I haven't got a clue about the functionality of the v-pots apart from panning mode and I don't even need to do that as EWQLSO Platinum comes pre-panned!

I would've thought you know a lot more about the UCS than most, but if you ever need help with something, ask and I might be able to assist.

PS. Dont forget about Generic Mackie Control Emulator - it can customise a hell of a lot (but you have to do some program tweaking to get 3 programs to run together to control a US2400). Plus, Kip (the bloke behind the software) has been very helpful to me with sorting out my problem - he may be able to help sort out any probs also.
Psalmist35
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1471
RE: Guide to running 2 Tascam US2400 units together in Sonar 2008/08/07 12:18:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Large Style

PS. Dont forget about Generic Mackie Control Emulator - it can customise a hell of a lot (but you have to do some program tweaking to get 3 programs to run together to control a US2400). Plus, Kip (the bloke behind the software) has been very helpful to me with sorting out my problem - he may be able to help sort out any probs also.

I took a peek at the GMC and it looks very interesting to say the least. Does your reference imply that you are using the GMC? If so, what is it allowing you to do that you were not able to before? I might give it a try if you have found some practicle use for it.

Additionally,
I'm not sure Sonar supports a surround panner. In my search to try to get it to work I came across the UCS utility. BTW, I was not able to find any of the previously mentioned programing literature for the UCS. I very dissapointed I could not find it. Anyway, back to the panner. I do not believe the SDK, which is the development tool Cakewalk put out for software/hardware developers to integrate for use in Soanr, does not support the surround panner. I referenced AJ on the other thread, he might me able to tell you if the SDK supports the panner. If it does not, then you and I both might me up the creek without a paddle.

Very interesting info you posted. Thank you for your persistance and for ultimately discovering the solution.

Regards,
Rich

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
Large Style
RE: Guide to running 2 Tascam US2400 units together in Sonar 2008/08/08 17:30:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby orsidigital 2014/03/23 18:27:26
No, not using GMC, but thought it could be of use to people interested in customisng functionality of controls (v-pots basically). May even need it to get around the panner thing (could use GMC to translate/transfer MIDI data to something Sonar would recognise if needs be) but won't tackle that for short while now - gonna take me studio offline for week or two while building new workstation/desk and upgrading PCs. When it comes to it I'll find a way to get the bugger to work (somehow)!

Thanks for your kind words chap - it does feel most rewarding to not only fix your own problems, but to inform/help others in the process, and know that its being appreciated.
orsidigital
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: RE: Guide to running 2 Tascam US2400 units together in Sonar 2014/02/01 17:50:48 (permalink)
Hi Large Style - After reading your 6 year old article crazy me just bought a second (pristine) 2400 and would like to contact Kip also -- his assistance would be most appreciated. Could you help?

Been 3 weeks, hoping you are still out there!!

Thank you,

Tom
post edited by orsidigital - 2014/03/04 23:34:57

www,thomasorsi.com
Large Style
Re: RE: Guide to running 2 Tascam US2400 units together in Sonar 2014/03/24 20:12:22 (permalink)
Hi orsidigital.

Sorry for the delayed response - I've only just received an email alert about your message.

I actually (and reluctantly) sold both my Tascams several years ago and generally departed from the world of music creation (this is my first post here in years) so I don't have any contact info or general help to offer...but obviously by all means post your issue / query and I may remember something, or another forumite could chip in.

Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G, Q6600 2.4Ghz, Crucial 8gb, EMU 1616, nVidia NVS 440 + Matrox DualHead2Go, WinXP x64 + WinXP x86 Dual-boot, M-Audio ProKeys 88, Technics 5.1 amp., guitar that I never learned to play.
mvani@ofcnet.com
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: RE: Guide to running 2 Tascam US2400 units together in Sonar 2015/11/19 01:39:06 (permalink)
Orsidigital,

Were you able to get a Tascam us2400 working with Sonar? I just bought a used one and am trying to get working with Sonar Platinum with out much luck. I was able to get the first 8 faders to work and the transport and scene buttons work as well. I just can't seem to get the 2nd and 3rd bank of faders to work. I am running Windows 7 64 bit. Any help, thought so r ideas would be greatly appreciated.

MTV
Custom Built AMD Phenom 3.4 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, WIN 7/64 Bit, Tascam US-1800, Aphex Project Channel, Sonar Platinum, Waves Gold, Alloy 2, T-Racks 3 CS

Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: RE: Guide to running 2 Tascam US2400 units together in Sonar 2015/11/20 19:28:39 (permalink)
Hi. Sorry for hijacking this thread. I just got my FW 1884, and I have it working in Win 10, SONAR Platinum (latest version). I am not sure if the same procedure goes for the US 2400. I followed the tips / advice given in http://deeringamps.com/fw1884/sonarx_fw1884.htm
If this is not what you are after, I apologize for hijacking this thread.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1