Guide to software drums please

Author
Stevethesearcher
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
2008/10/18 10:36:52 (permalink)

Guide to software drums please

Hi Guys,

I just bought my usual copy of Music tech and there is a demo version of Native Instruments Battery 3 drum program.

I personally use Redrum in Reason to create my drums as I like working with pattern and the steps it provides. I couldnt make head or tail of the drums of Session drummer. I took one look at it and thought where are the steps?

Does that sound like an extreme newbie to you.Of course it does but I would like to know.

What software drums are like Redrum in Reason.By that I mean you create patterns based on steps/ step sequencer style.

I really like Redrum but I would like to know what else is out there.

Getting back to Session drummer I just didnt get the idea behind it. I like to build drums up from scratch starting with the kick then the snare and then percussive elements etc.

However it seemed to me and I am probably wrong that the session drummer plays drums and then you deconstruct or edit it which is the exact opposite to Redrum where you start from nothing and then build up.

As you can hear from this post a bit of information about the different software drum programs and how you actually create the beats you want with them would be gratefully appreciated.

So far I can use Redrum but it has a very limited amount of drum sounds. I will have to go digging around for drums refills on the Internet to expand my choice.

2 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Guide to software drums please 2008/10/18 12:06:42 (permalink)
    Regardless how you do it, ultimately you have to have a MIDI track to drive the drums. There are many ways to get there.

Personally, I start with the step sequencer, using it to create a basic pattern that will serve as a click track during recording. Throughout the composition process, I add stuff to that basic sequence: fills, accents, breaks, variations in timing and velocity. Eventually, the track bears no resemblance to the original track. Instead of just a beat, it's actually interacting with the other instruments, hopefully mimicking a real drummer.

This method is quite time-consuming, though, and I will typically spend as much time on drums as everything else combined. There are products that let you accelerate the process, but IMO they do not yield comparable results.

One method that everybody has is SONAR's pattern brush. With it, you can just drag across the PRV painting MIDI notes. It's fun, but not terribly satisfying from a creative standpoint.

Many drum plugins feature pattern libraries. Same concept as the pattern brush: they're canned MIDI sequences you pick from a list. The main difference is that some products make the process easier than others. Session Drummer, Superior Drummer, EZDrummer, Addictive Drums, BFD - all the major players provide this functionality.

One product stands out as something different, and that's Jamstix. This innovative product actually makes up patterns on the fly based on preferences you set up, and optionally playing off whatever you're playing. For example, you could tell it to switch from hats to ride whenever you exceed N velocity on a MIDI keyboard. There is a learning curve for this functionality, as it's fairly deep. But it's a lot of fun when you're working up ideas, and of course you can transfer what it plays to a MIDI track.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Guide to software drums please 2008/10/18 12:38:54 (permalink)
    One product stands out as something different, and that's Jamstix. This innovative product actually makes up patterns on the fly based on preferences you set up, and optionally playing off whatever you're playing. For example, you could tell it to switch from hats to ride whenever you exceed N velocity on a MIDI keyboard. There is a learning curve for this functionality, as it's fairly deep. But it's a lot of fun when you're working up ideas, and of course you can transfer what it plays to a MIDI track

Bitflipper is correct!

I use Jamstix. It is the easiest and most creative way to create drum patterns I have ever seen. It has a bunch of "drummers" all with different playing habits, dozens of kits, and dozens of musical styles that the drummers can use interpreting this style in their own unique way. All drums are editable, pitch, damping, tone, there is a mixer that allows bass, mid, hi, adjustments and compression of the JS outputs.

JS does create it's own drum track based on the parameters you set up, and if you don't like something, it's 100% editable, down to the beats in a measure. I find it easy to use...a few days playing around with it to get familiar with it is all you should need to start using it.

I even use it right at the start of a song project, setting it up with drummer, kit & style, and BPM...instead of using a click track.

Get a free demo version here: www.rayzoon.com it works with a few limitations (one partial kit) and a few things are in the demo version (white noise bursts & it won't save or export) to keep you honest.

As a non-drummer...this is the best thing since digital recording came to the home computer.... IMHO.

ALL of my music on Soundclick is done with JS2.

One more thing: It took about 20-30 minutes total time, to create AND edit the drums on I'm Forgiven. That's Carter playing bossanova style on a latin kit.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/10/18 12:46:03

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1