Guitar Cabinet Speakers

Author
Dave Modisette
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11050
2011/05/01 17:35:16 (permalink)

Guitar Cabinet Speakers

I am thinking about replacing the speakers in a spare closed back 2x12 guitar cabinet.  I think there are Eminence speakers in there now.  Considering that I have one 2 x 12 cab with Celestion Blues and a stock Marshal 1960a cabinet what would you think would be a complementary combo of speakers to consider?  I could do two of the same speakers but I'm thinking a mix/match combo and wiring them separately so that I could experiment with different speakers when close miking.

I'm not a speaker snob so any brand is ok.  I wouldn't want to pay vintage prices though.

I guess I should mention the amps that I have.  I've got an old Fender Bassman with the Marshall mods, a Fender Pro Junior and a Peavey Windsor Studio.  I'm thinking that I have the Brit sounding speakers covered and maybe I need a little American flavor but I usually associate that with an open back cabinet.

BTW, I also have the 10" cabinet for the Pro Junior which I gutted out the amp and put into a separate custom "head" Cabinet.
post edited by Mod Bod - 2011/05/01 17:38:44

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 

3 Replies Related Threads

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Guitar Cabinet Speakers 2011/05/01 20:27:22 (permalink)
    You have great british/classic speaker & cab combinations, but have you thought about going with something ultra clean?

For the most part I use eminence & celestion, but I also have a 2/12 loaded with JBL's from the 80's (e series I believe). I got the idea after learning that Albert Lee like using the higher quality speakers in order to retain a cleaner sound at higher volumes (at the time he used Music Man amps, w/JBL's). I know as guitar players - we like our speakers to break up, but having a cabinet loaded with JBL's, EV's or even a set of Fanes can often give you another tonal color to choose from, or combine with your existing setups.

Of course - those all come with hefty price tags . A less expensive alternative to would be a set of Black Widows from PV, or less expensive yet a set of Scorpions from PV, although I find the Scorpions lack too much mid for my tastes.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Guitar Cabinet Speakers 2011/05/01 21:24:51 (permalink)
    celestion heritage G12H-55hz

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Butch
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:Guitar Cabinet Speakers 2011/05/02 13:12:09 (permalink)
    I wouldn't try the two different speakers wired for individual use in a closed back cabinet.  When one is running the other would act as an out-of-phase passive radiator.  With closed back, run them together.

I love the sound of my Eminence Texas Heat.  It records really well.

I bought a pair of Weber alnico speakers and LOVE them.  They were only about $105 each, which is cheap for alnicos.  You can choose the cone, wattage, the amount of doping, etc.  Highly recommended for classic American sound.

Good Luck!

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1