Guitar Fretboard VIEW VST or plugin/add-on for editing MIDI tracks

Author
jimkleban
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
2011/04/04 22:50:12 (permalink)

Guitar Fretboard VIEW VST or plugin/add-on for editing MIDI tracks

Does a MIDI display/editor of a 6 string guitar fretboard exist.... I have a method of assigning MIDI channels to guitar string samples (17 - 20 frets of samples for each string) and then play a MIDI guitar controller to trigger the samples.

As you may know, the MIDI converters of the MIDI guitars sometimes does a sloppy job and the resultant midi track needs copious editing.  Trying to do this editing in PRV is tedious to say the least.

Now, if there existed a editor that looked like a guitar fretboard so you could easily edit all six midi channels at the same time and see which frets were being triggered along a time line, it would make this editing a breeze.

So, anybody ever see anything like this.. it would be great as some type of add-in for X1 but even if I had to export the MIDI track, do the editing in another program and then re-import the MIDI track back into X1, it would make this editing much easier and even allow those without MIDI guitar pickups a way to edit more realistic guitar parts.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
Apollo Duo (via TB)
UAD Quad
UAD Duo
WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
Splat (latest version)

3 Replies Related Threads

ebabes13
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Guitar Fretboard VIEW VST or plugin/add-on for editing MIDI tracks 2011/04/04 23:51:21 (permalink)
    i use a graph tech ghost system on one of my guitars and it does do a lot of false triggers.  one thing i do is use the find/change command to drop all notes below a certain velocity, and use the edit/filter to select and drop notes below a certain duration.   works like a charm and makes my editing a lot less time consuming.

i5 audio pc by studiocat--SONAR X1-delta 1010--akg 414's-lots of shure mics--carvin guitars and amps--THD amps--fmr preamps and compressors--anything else i can get my hands on
    -------------------
    just an old hippie
    -------------------
    who are the Antique Zephyrs?
    CakeFan
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 212
    Re:Guitar Fretboard VIEW VST or plugin/add-on for editing MIDI tracks 2011/04/05 02:29:02 (permalink)
    ebabes13

works like a charm and makes my editing a lot less time consuming. 

Thanks ebabes13!  Cool idea... I'll try that!  I have a Roland GI-20 Gtr to MIDI converter and while I never notice problems live, when I record, I see quite a bit of false triggers and low velocity double-triggers.

How do you like the Ghost system in general?  I was thinking of trying that on my next guitar build.
    ebabes13
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Guitar Fretboard VIEW VST or plugin/add-on for editing MIDI tracks 2011/04/05 09:46:23 (permalink)
    i think the ghost system is a little better than my old GK-2...that being said, there are still a lot of false triggers.   Being VERY precise in your playing makes a big difference. The chief advantage for me is that the system is a lot cleaner looking because it's built into the saddles and there are no cumbersome looking modules hanging on to the guitar

i5 audio pc by studiocat--SONAR X1-delta 1010--akg 414's-lots of shure mics--carvin guitars and amps--THD amps--fmr preamps and compressors--anything else i can get my hands on
    -------------------
    just an old hippie
    -------------------
    who are the Antique Zephyrs?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1