Guitar Fretboard VIEW VST or plugin/add-on for editing MIDI tracks

Author
jkleban
Silver Member
  • Total Posts : 957
  • Reward points : 0
2011/04/04 22:50:12 (permalink)

Guitar Fretboard VIEW VST or plugin/add-on for editing MIDI tracks

Does a MIDI display/editor of a 6 string guitar fretboard exist.... I have a method of assigning MIDI channels to guitar string samples (17 - 20 frets of samples for each string) and then play a MIDI guitar controller to trigger the samples.

As you may know, the MIDI converters of the MIDI guitars sometimes does a sloppy job and the resultant midi track needs copious editing.  Trying to do this editing in PRV is tedious to say the least.

Now, if there existed a editor that looked like a guitar fretboard so you could easily edit all six midi channels at the same time and see which frets were being triggered along a time line, it would make this editing a breeze.

So, anybody ever see anything like this.. it would be great as some type of add-in for X1 but even if I had to export the MIDI track, do the editing in another program and then re-import the MIDI track back into X1, it would make this editing much easier and even allow those without MIDI guitar pickups a way to edit more realistic guitar parts.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
www.lldom.com

ADK Custom i7 with Thunderbolt
Apollo Duo (via TB)
WIN 8 x64
Sonar X3d x64
UAD Quad

3 Replies Related Threads

ebabes13
    Bronze Member
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re:Guitar Fretboard VIEW VST or plugin/add-on for editing MIDI tracks 2011/04/04 23:51:21 (permalink)
    i use a graph tech ghost system on one of my guitars and it does do a lot of false triggers.  one thing i do is use the find/change command to drop all notes below a certain velocity, and use the edit/filter to select and drop notes below a certain duration.   works like a charm and makes my editing a lot less time consuming.

i5 audio pc by studiocat--SONAR X1-delta 1010--akg 414's-lots of shure mics--carvin guitars and amps--THD amps--fmr preamps and compressors--anything else i can get my hands on
    -------------------
    just an old hippie
    -------------------
    who are the Antique Zephyrs?
    CakeFan
    Bronze Member
    • Total Posts : 210
    Re:Guitar Fretboard VIEW VST or plugin/add-on for editing MIDI tracks 2011/04/05 02:29:02 (permalink)
    ebabes13

works like a charm and makes my editing a lot less time consuming. 

Thanks ebabes13!  Cool idea... I'll try that!  I have a Roland GI-20 Gtr to MIDI converter and while I never notice problems live, when I record, I see quite a bit of false triggers and low velocity double-triggers.

How do you like the Ghost system in general?  I was thinking of trying that on my next guitar build.
    ebabes13
    Bronze Member
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re:Guitar Fretboard VIEW VST or plugin/add-on for editing MIDI tracks 2011/04/05 09:46:23 (permalink)
    i think the ghost system is a little better than my old GK-2...that being said, there are still a lot of false triggers.   Being VERY precise in your playing makes a big difference. The chief advantage for me is that the system is a lot cleaner looking because it's built into the saddles and there are no cumbersome looking modules hanging on to the guitar

i5 audio pc by studiocat--SONAR X1-delta 1010--akg 414's-lots of shure mics--carvin guitars and amps--THD amps--fmr preamps and compressors--anything else i can get my hands on
    -------------------
    just an old hippie
    -------------------
    who are the Antique Zephyrs?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.6